least expensive mountain bike with e-shifting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

least expensive mountain bike with e-shifting

Very new here - odd question for you experienced riders. Used to ride road bikes, switched to flat bar/hybrid due to orthopedic issues. Have ridden Di2 shifting on road bikes but I understand there's an analog in mountain bikes (but its not called Di2). Long term I likely will need to switch to e-shifting due to RA in hands.
    Since there's no hybrids with electronic shifting I was considering a mountain bike (I do ride trails some of the time) and I could put slicker tires on it and use it as an all-purpose bike. This may seem crazy and I know it will be pricey but I do have a reasonably generous budget for this next bike. (Reasonably!)
    My problem is, the e-shifting seems to only be on the really high end mountain bikes and obviously I do not need that.
    Is there a bike that would fit this odd niche? Any input is welcome.

Rabid Lana Fan
    You could always buy a mid-to-low end MTB and then buy an e-drivetrain setup to replace the stock OEM stuff with.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Rabid Lana Fan
    SRAM makes a system for mountain bikes called AXS.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Also, Shimano's MTB e-shifting line is still called Di2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I did consider that. The mechanic I was working with gave me an estimate but he felt an internal gear hub setup (we were talking hybrid frame at the time) would be better, and I wasn't clear why.
    The estimate for retrofitting with that plan was around $1850. It just seemed like a long way around. I was thinking more like your suggestion, if the system comes stock on some bikes, it should be reasonably straightforward to install on a similar (but less expensive) bike.
    Not being cheap here but the more advanced mountain bikes also seemed to have more aggressive geometry so not as comfortable for all-purpose riding.

Rabid Lana Fan
    You can find the whole system including new crank and a new cassette for around 1600 bux for XX1 level. Or, they offer an "upgrade kit" that just has the shifter (controller), derailleur and a charger for about 750 bux. If you found a decent mountain bike you like for say around 2500, and it comes with Eagle NX, you could buy the upgrade kit and be all in for around 3300.00, maybe sell your brand new take-offs to recoup some of that back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I think I would do the whole system, crank, cassette and all as one group. Seems thereís less chance of something not marrying up perfectly and working. Just makes sense to me (I donít do very complicated work myself on my bikes).
    I appreciate the input.

EMBA Member
    Always wanted to ride a bike with a Rohloff Speedhub. 526% gear range. If the budget allowed, that's what I'd do. Twist shifter might be beneficial for you. You can run a belt if you want and the maintenance is minimal. The hub itself is very durable. Costly though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Yes, I did a bit of reading about internal gear hubs when I was initially considering the modification. Supposedly very functional, nearly no maintenance, no grease! (externally anyway), long-lasting, and like you say, the extended gear inches. Rode a bike with Sturmey-Archer if I recall, shifts seamlessly.
    Strange that they are so rare. But obviously derailleurs are much less expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have you checked into retro fitting the bike you have now ?

since 4/10/2009
    11spd Shimano XT Di2 is probably the cheapest you'll get.

It's available in a 2x configuration that's a big more "general purpose" friendly than the 1x configuration.

I'm sure you encountered the Shimano Alfine Di2 internal gear hub, also. Yeah, IGH is great for city bikes (that's what the Alfine is built for), but it's pretty expensive given that you have to build a rear wheel around it the hub if you don't already have one.

SRAM AXS is wireless and MUCH easier to install, but is newer and more expensive.

There aren't really any more options for e-shifting on mountain bikes or city bikes. I don't think it'll ever be quite as popular on mountain bikes as it is on road bikes, which might keep it restricted to higher end groups.

mtbr member
    Buy a SS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    11spd Shimano XT Di2 is probably the cheapest you'll get.

It's available in a 2x configuration that's a big more "general purpose" friendly than the 1x configuration.

I'm sure you encountered the Shimano Alfine Di2 internal gear hub, also. Yeah, IGH is great for city bikes (that's what the Alfine is built for), but it's pretty expensive given that you have to build a rear wheel around it the hub if you don't already have one.

SRAM AXS is wireless and MUCH easier to install, but is newer and more expensive.

There aren't really any more options for e-shifting on mountain bikes or city bikes. I don't think it'll ever be quite as popular on mountain bikes as it is on road bikes, which might keep it restricted to higher end groups.
    Harold beat me to it, Alfine Di2 prob "cheapest" if you could find it. Di2 doesn't come stock on most MTBs, only high end builds, if that. It'll usually be an add on option that adds quite a cost, XT and XTR levels only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Yes, thats probably the least expensive option (adding the drive train and accessories to current bike). I talked to a very skilled mechanic today who is going to give me an estimate. Obviously wonít ever look as elegant as one with Di2 from the factory - external wires and cables might look pretty home-made... But depending on what parts can be used it could be less than $1,000.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell View Post
    Buy a SS.
    Yes! That is a great solution and I did that for a time. Have owned three single speed bikes and really enjoyed. I seldom ride in groups so if Iím slow, then whatever.
    Wasnít convinced it was the best routine for knees, long term. Would rather spin than grind, in most cases.
    Great workouts though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    E shifting technology is dominated by major brands like Shimano & SRAM because it takes alot of money for research into technology. Hence Shimano Di2 cost a lot of money.

Nobody else has resources like Shimano to make E shifting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thought about using the Archer D1X system? Uses a motor to shift exisiting cable mechs via a wireless shifter. not sure on cost or how good it is, but can be used on pretty well any mech IIRC

edit $389. https://archercomponents.com/

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Howard View Post
    Thought about using the Archer D1X system? Uses a motor to shift exisiting cable mechs via a wireless shifter. not sure on cost or how good it is, but can be used on pretty well any mech IIRC

edit $389. https://archercomponents.com/
    Derp. Forgot about that one. I know a guy who is an amputee who uses that system with great results. He has had to do a lot of mods to his bike so he can control everything with one hand.