Lance Investigation Closed - No Charges- Mtbr.com
    transmitter~receiver

Lance Investigation Closed - No Charges

Inquiry ends... no charges.

i personally think it was a huge waste of time and money. i wish they had gotten a statement from Novitzky.

let the calamity ensue...
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Sweep the leg!
    Regardless of the investigation, I'll always think of LA as a doper.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    That is SOLELY the criminal probe. The various cycling agencies stated immediately after the announcement that they will press for all evidence and carry on this farce.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When you are on top, someone always wants
    to bring you down.

Just Ride
    The man is super human, is that so hard to believe?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I think there was credibility to the charge but honestly just didnt/dont care. Doping in sports at worst should result in a ban I simply dont comprehend why the masses seem to firmly believe someone should be incarcerated. Then again, I dont take pro sport like its a religion or in any way believe the egomaniacs that are pro athletes warrent being tasked with the duty of role-model which they arguably did not sign up for.

.Name-shame-ban and shun then get on with the game.

Lot of wasted time and money!

Ride More, Work Less
    I'm happy the government has closed the books on this. It has nothing to do with Lance being innocent or not, though I must confess that I don't know what law was considered to be broken to warrant such an investigation.

Now the FDA may be able to focus some efforts on more rigorous inspections of drug manufacturers to improve the safety of the products that are needed by millions of Americans.

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    to bring you down.
    this ^^

mtbr member

MFers go back 10 years and the investigation lasts 2 yrs

Do you realize how much money they spent sending the investigators to Eurpoe and back ?? And for what ?? Meanwhile no one is looking for those bankers and wallstreet arses that caused billions in damage.....go figure.What a country.

mtbr member
    we all know he doped.

he just doped under the legal limit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon View Post
    Do you realize how much money they spent sending the investigators to Eurpoe and back ?? And for what ?? Meanwhile no one is looking for those bankers and wallstreet arses that caused billions in damage.....go figure.What a country.
    my thoughts exactly!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I feel that he could be clean and the "haters are just hatin"

but the other side of me thinks all these pros are cheating.

I wont go speculating any deeper
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    great for armstrong, I am sure more money will be wasted..
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

SANCTUS
    How can a rider compete that does not cheat by doping? very sad.I no longer am interested in any sport that condones drug abuse.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have never before seen a sport that tries so hard to shoot itself in the foot.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    A few years ago I did Vision Quest

I brought along 6 cans of Red Bull, its 56 miles/11k feet of elevation. Without the Red Bull
    I would have never made it. Maybe something stronger? Nah. Too bad Lance didn't feel the same way,

mtbr member
    Flattery gets you nowhere. Bribery gets you everywhere. Never getting caught, priceless.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I agree with you

If Lance had really been guilty the DoJ would have been all over it. And the testimony of two cheaters against him? That's rich...real real rich.

I'm very glad for LA -

mtbr member
    Do you realize how much money they spent sending the investigators to Eurpoe and back ?? And for what ??
    Hmmm. Maybe some fine French wines, some stinky cheeses, and some high class Parisian hookers?

AZ
    banned
    Omerta, that is all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Does anyone seriously think LA was guilty given how technology/science is so advanced. They would have caught him years ago unless he was using something completely extra specially differently designed just for him PEDs.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zenmster View Post
    Does anyone seriously think LA was guilty given how technology/science is so advanced. They would have caught him years ago unless he was using something completely extra specially differently designed just for him PEDs.

The feds were investigating the money, they don't give a rats ass if he doped or not.

SANCTUS
    do you seriously think dopers can not stay one step ahead of testing procedures? .Top tier athletes have full time lab geeks that come up with new ways to cheat

~Disc~Golf~
    I say let them all 'dope' - There. Done.

Are extra Calories a performance booster?
    How about Amino Acids?
    Water?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yea but eventually cheaters get caught...they may not get punished as they should (ala Barry Bonds that jerk) but they get caught sooner or later.

SANCTUS
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I say let them all 'dope' - There. Done.

Are extra Calories a performance booster?
    How about Amino Acids?
    Water?
    lets say your son wanted to dope up to compete

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    lets say your son wanted to dope up to compete
    Let's say he wanted to drink beer

Killer b.
    He's like the Teflon Don. Whatever gets thrown at him never seems to stick.
    Maybe they'll finally stitch him up for tax evasion or something......
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

SANCTUS
    [QUOTE=highdelll;8972991]Let's say he wanted to drink beer [/QUOTE

Drugs in Sport you probably know this already , beer is not too bad.

mtbr member
    yea but eventually cheaters get caught...they may not get punished as they should (ala Barry Bonds that jerk) but they get caught sooner or later.
    Hardly. There are plenty of riders and other athletes who have since retired who acknowledge drug use during their career. Talk to a few old baseball players and many acknowledge using speed to get through double-headers and using 'roids as well. And that's true across several sports but particularly so in cycling -- it's a very longstanding tradition.... Just one example: Think back to the 1988 Tour when Delgado tested positive for Probenecid a medication that cures gout (which also happens to mask steroids). No way a Tour winner has gout, but there you have it -- and certainly no accountability there. Degaldo certainly was not the only testing positive for masking agents...

To me, the question is not whether most if not all European pros take drugs, but what kinds and how much. This is nothing new. In the immortal words of Jacques Anquetil: "Leave me in peace! Everybody takes dope."

Do I excuse it? Hell, I just shake my head an accept it as inevitable. We expect the guys to complete feats that are basically superhuman. I wish there was a way to eliminate it, but I think that's impossible. To believe that Lance is not only great, but also greater than so many other amazing riders who are juicing is just foolish. I don't think it makes him terrible; I think it makes this whole problem a lot more complicated.

By the way Wikipedia has a list of all the drug cases in pro cycling. I can't link to it since I'm still too new to the forum. But the article is pretty interesting and revealing.

-Tool

U sayin' Bolt ?
    So at worst LanceA has some invisible juice that cures cancer and blasts him past a roided tour field 7times. Time will tell the price he will pay, for now the only downside I noticed was him having Cheryl Crow all up in his business at those later tours.

Doping is playing with body chemistry, like using a drill to cut weight from your frame: once you put that hot cutter in, all hell can break loose and any real long term gains are near negligible if they materialize at all.

No I have never doped or drilled holes to save weight .. Just my ignorant opinion fwiw.

SANCTUS
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    So at worst LanceA has some invisible juice that cures cancer and blasts him past a roided tour field 7times. Time will tell the price he will pay, for now the only downside I noticed was him having Cheryl Crow all up in his business at those later tours.

Doping is playing with body chemistry, like using a drill to cut weight from your frame: once you put that hot cutter in, all hell can break loose and any real long term gains are near negligible if they materialize at all.

No I have never doped or drilled holes to save weight .. Just my ignorant opinion fwiw.
    totally agree.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Yes.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BUSTELO View Post
    totally agree.
    Very true! The Dutch learned the hard way back in the 90s when a bunch of them dropped dead of heat attacks in their 20s from thickened blood. A lot of older cyclists have died prematurely. I know, correlation isn't causation but it definitely begs the question.

-Rob

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    to bring you down.
    Always

mtbr member
    That is because he wasn't using dope per say, he was giving himself transfusions of his own blood to increase the number of red blood cells. That is how he morally justifies saying he didn't use performance enhancing drugs and can pass a polygraph. IMHO.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Sweep the leg!
    I wonder if his wife left him over the doping issue. She was an elite athlete as well and my not have approved.

Just Ride
    Who gave me neg rep for this? Stuck up much???
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Stucco Bucket
    Same one that gave me negative rep in this thread Im sure.
    some whiney little internet hero smirking to himself right now..
    But here some rep to make up for it.

mtbr member
    Wall Street did nothing illegal, just unethical. The guilty party is Uncle Sam and the regulators that turned a blind eye. Besides, does DC really want to bite the hand that feeds.

When I read about Armstrong, I think it's just a case of him being on top. Those that think he's guilty, without due cause, are the ones who just don't like him for his accomplishments. I prefer to believe one is innocent until proven guilty.

~Disc~Golf~
    Who gave me neg rep for this? Stuck up much???
    Probably Batman

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If Armstrong was really able to pull off a doping scam of this magnitude and complexity the government shouldn't have investigated him, they should have hired him to run the CIA or some other Super Secret Squirrel agency.

Or maybe he's an adviser to Obama and that's how THAT criminal has learned to keep anything from sticking to him.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Jerk

He is a jerk. I don't care if he doped or not. He is a jerk. That's why he has enemies. Even old teammates don't like him. You take other athletes at the top of their games,like Emmit Smith, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Lew Alcinder, Jack Nicklause, Arnold Palmer, Tom Brady, TINKER JUAREZ, Johnny t, CADEL EVANS, EDDY MERKX. You get the idea,
    You don't hear people bash these guys. Because they are good people.
    lanceboil dopinstrong is a jerk. I SAY LETS KEEP HIM OUT OF MOUNTAIN BIKING. We don't need this jerk in such a great sport that I love so much.
    Happy trails
    the xman

mtbr member
    We all know that in professional cycling the clean riders are at the back. Lance always stated that he never "Tested Positive". In most professional mainstream sports you have to dope to compete with the rest of the athletes on top that dope. Otherwise you are at the back. But everyone that dopes has to first achieve a level of performance to be "worthy" of doping to take it to the next level. Also, the sponsors need the smear their corporate feces all over these "top" athletes. There is alot at stake if Lance is brought to trial.

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Omerta, that is all.
    A lost art it seems.

CS2
    mtbr member
    It would seem that way. How can anyone call him a doper and keep a straight face? Nobody in the history of the sport was piss tested as much and as often as Lance. He never tested positive either.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

$$$ You mean it was really about

$$$?? How so? Sorry, I'm a little slow...Sunday and all that!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Does anyone know what substance he allegedly was using? Funny thing about anabolic steroids is that they are anabolic (muscle building) and are actually counter productive in endurance sports...

mtbr member
    No you're right that's not what the problem is in pro cycling AFIAK, but the general public hears "doping" and thinks of anabolic steroids. The big stuff is EPO and "blood doping", basically ways of increasing your red blood cell count to give you superhuman oxygen carrying capacity. (Layman paraphrasing, I don't pretend to be an expert on this.) I think HGH is a big one too, but I think EPO is the biggie for cycling these days.

Blood doping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ride More, Work Less
    The fact that is often ignored with Lance is that he has been successful nearly all of his life. At 13, he buried people in triathlons. By his late teens, he was an elite cyclist and known around the world. Could he have been tainted by a secret training program that consisted of PEDs at an early age? Potentially but I would think this would be highly unlikely. As he was gaining notoriety, his biological attributes were well documented: vo2 max of a horse, larger lungs than average, heart larger than average, etc. For all practical purposes, he's an elite mutant. His recent success with *all* endurance sports speaks to his natural gifts. This is all fine and yes, he is elite and has known that. Sometimes that goes to somebody's head. At least he is doing something good with his life.

A problem with "doping" in cycling is that much of what can be done isn't illegal by any stretch of the imagination. Blood doping is used in cancer therapy and so is EPO. It is really nothing different than building muscle mass with amino acid supplements. Something as common as Gatorade is a PED. (for those that don't know, Gatorade was created by the Univ. of Florida to give them an edge during football in the heat of Florida). Caffeine in energy gels is a PED.

So this is likely the reality reached by the FDA. If lance was "doping", it wasn't illegal as it could be done with doctor's supervision according to approved guidelines (this is probably where the difference is with baseball). For the FDA's scope, there was nothing they could say. Testing boards have a list of banned substances and those are checked. There really is no story here other than yes Lance is a mutant, he trains like a mutant, and likely exploited the gray area between banned substances and basic food, but the problem is that we all do this everytime we chase a powerbar with gatorade.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Doping, I thought they all do that.

mtbr member
    Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!
    German Engineering in Da Haus, Ja!

Weekend Warrior
    What about OJ?!

It's about showing up.
    $55,000,000 was spent in persuit of Barry Bonds. People packed the stands to see him. While he played for my team I was never a fan of his; I did not like the way he treated people. He never seemed to be a part of the team. My childhood hero Willie Mays could be bad with people too and I experienced this personally. When Barry came to the plate I paid attention because great things could happen and often did. When I heard on the radio that Willie was going after a fly ball or making a throw time stood still.

Sports, performance, health, public exposure, and personal behavior are a weird and demanding combination. The demands have put enormous and bizarre pressures on athletes. All sorts of strategies, superstitions, and artifices have been employed to solve this equation. At different times different things were employed and rules were made to manage them, often like closing the barn door after the horse is gone. I consider that a part of the the evolution of the sport and those caught in the conundrum like canaries in the coal mine.

So I have little patience for handwringing and hunting whether motivated by fact or contrived by enmity and bias. I find the need to throw someone under the bus misguided.

We are well done by this latest move to stop chasing Lance. I don't think that there was ever a chance of catching him. For the last years his response was to turn back and give "the look." He measured the threat, found it wanting, and kept climbing away.

Deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Berkeley Mike; 02-06-2012 at 12:27 AM.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    EPO does not make you a great cyclist. You have to be a great cyclist first. Lance is a great cyclist. He won 7 Tours. But if you are clean, you are at the back of the Peloton.
    You can't win a Tour with only Gatorade and Pasta.

AZ
    banned
    There has been some allegations of political improprieties and undue influence @ the Justice Department. We shall see.

Sweep the leg!
    It's not over yet. The latest (and reason for the OP) was the fraud investigation because the US Postal team was being paid with Federal money from the USPS (duh).

LA's still under investigation by the same people who just ruled on Contador. So he's not out of the woods yet.

AZ
    banned

mtbr member

Over valuing assets

Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post
    Wall Street did nothing illegal, just unethical. The guilty party is Uncle Sam and the regulators that turned a blind eye. Besides, does DC really want to bite the hand that feeds.

When I read about Armstrong, I think it's just a case of him being on top. Those that think he's guilty, without due cause, are the ones who just don't like him for his accomplishments. I prefer to believe one is innocent until proven guilty.
    When they over valued the assets and sold them, it was illegal. Everyone from the mortgage broker to the guys that packaged them and said they were worth more than they were are guilty. But you are right, Dc will not bite the hands that feeds it.

Ride More, Work Less
    I think WADA is serving a valuable purpose in establishing and maintaining international standards for what is "doping". That said, I hope they don't move the headquarters to Salem, MA and begin holding court on people with the same vigor as these folks -- Salem witch trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    all i know is lance's dope dealer needs to give me a CALL

Dark Meat
    Quote Originally Posted by ChizmoNC View Post
    all i know is lance's dope dealer needs to give me a CALL
    Did someone say "dope"...

Is not amused
    I heard that Lance will be starring in the new seven dwarfs movie coming out this fall....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lance Investigation Closed - No Charges-lance_dopey_2.jpg  

Yip yip yip nope nope nope

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    Regardless of the investigation, I'll always think of LA as a doper.
    Guilty until proven innocent?

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    we all know he doped.

he just doped under the legal limit.
    We all DON"T know he doped. 100% of the scientific evidence says he didn't, the man has NEVER tested positive for anything, unless cancer counts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    Guilty until proven innocent?
    Isn't that the American way now?

mtbr member
    He's a jerkoff

But he's either an jerkoff who doped like the rest of them and still won.

Or he's an jerkoff who is a freak and was able to beat everyone else who was doping.

Members who have read this thread: 0