kmc chain 116 links cut reduced to 114 links using 34t crank and 11-46t xt cassette.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

We the people ... kmc chain 116 links cut reduced to 114 links using 34t crank and 11-46t xt cassette.

hi guys, i need your expertise with regards to my chain. i have kmc x11 sl chain with 116 links including the missing link but my mechanic cut my chain down to 114 links. is this still usable? is my rd won't be stretched too much coz my chain got reduced? help me pls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kmc chain 116 links cut reduced to 114 links using 34t crank and 11-46t xt cassette.-rd.jpg  

Last edited by lohla1; 09-19-2017 at 05:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Was the original chain on the bike 116 links? I'm guessing not as 116 is the length the chain comes out of the packet.

My guess is that someone fitted a new chain without bothering to shorten it the last time and the mechanic has made it the right length this time. Easy enough to check. Put the chain on the big ring at the front and 'carefully' move it onto the big gear at the back, one gear at a time. If you have a full-sys you'll then need to let the air out of the shock and carefully fully compress the rear suspension. Does the derailleur look happy?

SS Pusher Man
    Hard to know for sure without seeing it.

Put the chain in the biggest cog, let the air out of the rear shock and compress the suspension til it bottoms out. If the RD is not binding up, you are good to go. If the cage cannot move forward anymore, it is too short.

There is no 1 answer fits all here. Chainring size, cog size, chainstay length, chain growth all are factors that differ from bike to bike.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    It is rare to use a chain at it's full uncut length, you nearly always need to trim at least a few links to size it correctly for your gearing.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    i have this chain bought on ebay (KMC X11 EL Super Light 11 Speed Chain, 114 link, Silver, ADK) it is 114 links. sorry. there are some threads that 11 speed kmc chains shouldnt be cut down.. how true is that?

also, please look at the picture above. it is not my bike but my rear derailleur is positioned like that if it is geared on the biggest cassette. is it stretched too much?

ps: my chain was cut 4 links by the 1st mechanic but the second mechanic put it back together but he only managed to put back 2 links since the other link its center piece is missing already. is it okay for the kmc chain to be cut and put back together?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lohla1 View Post
    i have this chain bought on ebay (KMC X11 EL Super Light 11 Speed Chain, 114 link, Silver, ADK) it is 114 links. sorry. there are some threads that 11 speed kmc chains shouldnt be cut down.. how true is that?
    100% false.

The chain length in the pic looks fine and if anything looks like it could be cut another 2 links, definitely not too short.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    right on man. these are really the answers i'm looking for. thank you so much. i thought my KMC chain is already history coz i am not ready to buy another set of kmc chain. thanks again

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Link count doesnt matter, its big/big +2. So big cog on back and around chainring (without being routed through derailluer)

No your chain is probably a link or 2 too long right now actually.

Chains ALWAYS have to be cut to size, it the biggest reason for chain tools. Manufacturers intentionally make them long and "cut to size"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    heads up guys, actual photo of my rear derailleur is attached. anyone can confirm if it has too many chain links please suggest.thank you

mtbr member
    heads up guys, actual photo of my rear derailleur is attached. anyone can confirm if it has too many chain links please suggest.thank you
    the pic at the top? is it in the largest chainring? if so, you can take out at least another 2 links.
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Just ride it, it's fine. 2 links less might be ideal but if your bike is full suspension no one can say for sure without seeing how it looks with the suspension bottomed out.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    the pic at the top? is it in the largest chainring? if so, you can take out at least another 2 links.
    my bike is with the stans rim. with giant frame. thanks

by the way, my bike is giant xtc hard tail medium 26er. thank you guys.

mtbr member
    my bike is giant xtc hard tail
    I think minus 2 links would probably be ideal but it should ride just fine as is, how does it look in the 11t?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    this is how it looks when it is geared on 11t cog.

PS: pls pardon the pictures. this is already the best i could get. thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kmc chain 116 links cut reduced to 114 links using 34t crank and 11-46t xt cassette.-1.jpg  

kmc chain 116 links cut reduced to 114 links using 34t crank and 11-46t xt cassette.-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    too long take a few more links out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    originally the mechanic took out four chain links but he said it won't shift to the 46t cog (largest cog).. so he added back the 2 links out of the four he took out.

or maybe the rd was just not aligned properly when he took out 4 links? i'm not sure what to do.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'd definitely remove 2 links (1") It will work as is but won't have great chain retention in the small cogs. It should shift into the big cog totally fine with a shorter chain, not sure why the mechanic was having trouble.

Also, how did the mechanic add the 2 links back on? Did he (or she) use another quick link? If not they owe you a new chain.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Yeah I'd definitely remove 2 links (1") It will work as is but won't have great chain retention in the small cogs. It should shift into the big cog totally fine with a shorter chain, not sure why the mechanic was having trouble.
    noted. thanks!

i think he used another missing link to put it back together but i'm not sure though, i will ask him later. if you don't mind, what do you mean by "they owe you a new chain"? can you walk me through? i'm not really familiar with the chain thing.

mtbr member
    if you don't mind, what do you mean by "they owe you a new chain"? can you walk me through? i'm not really familiar with the chain thing.
    If they cut the chain short and then added the link back on again using the chain pin it's very likely to break there, which is why I said they owe you a chain if that's the case. That used to be the common way to do it and it worked fine with older 6-8 speed chains but now it's necessary to cut the old 1/2 link out and replace with a connecting link. Seems doubtful they'd do that and if you see 2 connecting links on your chain you're good to go.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    oops! seems like he owes me one then. i can only find one connecting links on my chain. this is the price to pay for not having my research done. most of the mechanics here are not familiar with the latest technologies of the mtb. i just hope this chain would last me a year for having its worth. :/