mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Kickr Snap or cycle ops M2? Need assistance.

Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a new Smart trainer ( my 1st one ). I'm looking at a wheel on kickr snap or the cycle ops M2, does anyone have any of these? Pros and cons? Thank you

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    #neverzwift

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber7828 View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm in the market for a new Smart trainer ( my 1st one ). I'm looking at a wheel on kickr snap or the cycle ops M2, does anyone have any of these? Pros and cons? Thank you
    This is a mountain bike forum, and therefore, not many people use trainers. I have a dumb Cycleops Mag+ I'll pull out and use a couple times in winter. I'll be honest - if I was going to spring for a smart trainer, I'd go all the way and get a direct drive model (remove the rear wheel, 2nd cassette mounted to the trainer). I had the opportunity to use the direct drive Kickr in a fitness studio once, and it was super nice. But considering the frequency I actually use the trainer, I simply can't justify the cost of a smart trainer at this point. Even though I'd probably use it more if it felt more realistic.

The reason I'd go direct drive is related to the tire. For one, it's extra noise. But the most annoying aspect is that it'll fling rubber as the tire wears. Use it enough, and you'll get tire bits everywhere. There's also some efficiency lost because the tire WILL slip a bit against the drum, especially if you push hard in a sprint (say, you're doing intervals).