Jenson USA customer service?- Mtbr.com
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Jenson USA customer service?

First, don't @ me because I'm asking a question about an online retailer. I spend a TON of money at a variety of LBS. (And let's discuss that it's safer to be buying online rather than in a shop right now....)

Anybody else having issues getting through to Jenson USA? Ordered a part almost 2 weeks ago. It shipped and now has vanished. I've called Jenson several times and have sat on hold forever, just to be disconnected by them. I have left voice messages (per their recorded instructions) with no return call. I have tried to email and it just bounces back. I left a message on their help desk and...crickets. Did they go out of business and not bother to tell anyone?

I'd beware ordering anything from them presently because if you have a problem they have ZERO customer service right now.

mtbr member
    Just went to their website

Expert Guidance (888) 880-3811
    Thanks for your patience. Call volume is high and hold time is extended

I have order thousands from them over the years. Never any issues and I get next day shipping. That said I have never needed to call them. I just order online.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Still in business but their customer service has gone into the toilet. My only advice is to keep trying. A lot of businesses are neglecting their customers and using Covid as an excuse.

I had a similar experience with an unrelated retailer. Ordered on April 5th. Tracking shows it shipped 3 days later from same state I live in. Then nothing. It wasn't until I escalated the case with Paypal to get my money back that I finally received my order yesterday, June 10.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Up In Smoke
    There's probably a group of Jenson employees huddled around a computer LOL'ing at this thread

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I don't think they're out of business but they've gone way downhill. I'm local and treated them as my LBS and had good experiences over the years but have had 3-4 bad experiences over the last year all due to their wonky computers. Recently they charged me for an item that cost upwards of 2k, they never actually had it. Charged my card but never shipped or contacted me or anything. Took 4-5 calls to finally get through and get it sorted out. Never even got so much as a sorry from them. I guess if I didn't bother, they just would've charged me and never shipped it, lol.

They seem like really good guys but they're probably really overwhelmed at the moment and their computer systems really seem to fail them at times. On the fence as to whether I'd use them again, definitely not for anything expensive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    All of the online retailers are getting crushed. I had an order from Jenson recently that didn't ship for a few days and when I tried to get in touch through phone and email, I couldn't. I finally got through on chat and found out that they are just at extremely high volumes. I've heard the same thing from Competitive and WWC.

Hyper-growth is difficult for any business. While I would cut them some slack, there is a point where it gets hard. There are other places to order from. Might try one of those. Unfortunately, Jenson seems to be having the most issues right now. Competitive and Colrorado Cyclist recently for me. I wonder if it has to do with Jenson being in CA and having different restrictions on business.

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Still in business but their customer service has gone into the toilet. My only advice is to keep trying. A lot of businesses are neglecting their customers and using Covid as an excuse.

I had a similar experience with an unrelated retailer. Ordered on April 5th. Tracking shows it shipped 3 days later from same state I live in. Then nothing. It wasn't until I escalated the case with Paypal to get my money back that I finally received my order yesterday, June 10.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    A few weeks ago I called to find out about an order and I was on hold for quite a long time before the system hung up on me. When I finally got someone on the phone he pointed out that they were getting swamped with calls and orders. They had been hiring more people but still couldn't keep up.
    . . . . . . . .

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    A lot of businesses are neglecting their customers and using Covid as an excuse.
    Or because so many customer service departments are side by side cubicles they had to furlough half their staff to keep the ones working safe at work.

In other cases Customer service departments have just been furloughed due to lack of business and the company is trying to stay solvent. That is the case where my wife works.

Maybe some are using it as an excuse to purposely provide bad customer service.... but that does not sound like something that is really happening.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I placed an order on Monday and received it on Tuesday. No issues.
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

since 4/10/2009
    not to mention shipping has been all over the place. Odd stuff is out of stock all over the place because production and distribution networks have been hammered. Retail availability is shit because people's buying patterns have changed. Shippers have been prioritizing PPE gear and other essentials like food and cleaning supplies.

Everything is a mess. Some parts I ordered from Ford just came in the other day....2 months after I placed the order through my dealer's parts counter. One order I placed through Home Depot got cancelled because the item simply isn't available. They had an ETA on it when I ordered, but that changed after the fact and now they don't know if they will ever be able to receive the product.

The world is NOT "back to normal"

Trail Ninja
    From what I gathered, they got a remote site for some CS to work at. The guys working computers need security measures, since they can access sensitive private data, so working at home probably isn't an option. They switched from Amazon AWS to their own in-house server after AWS going down for hours left them somewhat helpless, I think. They switched from various POS systems too.

I suppose they had to change to survive. Speedgoat, Price Point, Art's, and a lot of smaller bike shops were suffering from the retailpocalypse. They changed their ways, trying to appear more professional and boutique, shedding some of their older discount retailer image. They seem to be sensitize to Backcountry and CRC as competition, as well as Euro shops; they were quite vocal when I asked them about Shimano prices being lower than what IBD have to pay (this has since changed). Their staff changed quite a bit too; they have people with big bullet points on their resumes now. I recall a few years ago they were getting applicants like former bike shop owners, former employees of HucknRoll/CompCyclist, Price Point, etc. but they seem to be getting people out of college to do website stuff. The website is huge and growing, going through quite a few changes over time, pain-stakingly made; I can't fathom the amount of investment sunk into it and their marketing/social media presence.

Weird things happened like people complaining about their discounts being false advertisements, after the trend of vendors asking to be excluded from store-wide discounts, which Jenson responded by discontinuing the discount altogether. They used to be a bit more lenient with their returns too, but it got abused a bit much; I recall one of their top officers saying they wanted to make things right even if it was the customer's fault, at least the first time. This got me to assume those who didn't post evidence of their issues to be ones who had a history... always at least two sides of a story, and working with customers in retail is a nightmare that some only do in order to pay for education to move up to better.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I guess everything is screwed up. I ordered from discount bike on April 26th and got my order delivered on June 6th. Discount Bike shipped my order on May 4th. Delivery services took the rest of the time. The last 300 miles took two weeks. I love the stuff and the prices. Just don't be in a hurry right now on line. Fine print ( allow 6-8 weeks for delivery)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It always amazes how many people rush on here to complain about every tiny issue they have with a retailer. Whether you like it or not, Covid is causing issues for retailers and causing shipping issues. If you haven't heard bike sales are through the roof right now due to Covid so they are probably swamped with callers. Just deal with it like an adult and be patient.
    2020 Canyon Neuron 9.0 LTD
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    I've had a few shipments go off the radar only to show up after I got refunded. Which in turn had to go back and pay for it again. Sit tight for a couple weeks.
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    First, don't @ me because I'm asking a question about an online retailer. I spend a TON of money at a variety of LBS. (And let's discuss that it's safer to be buying online rather than in a shop right now....)

Anybody else having issues getting through to Jenson USA? Ordered a part almost 2 weeks ago. It shipped and now has vanished. I've called Jenson several times and have sat on hold forever, just to be disconnected by them. I have left voice messages (per their recorded instructions) with no return call. I have tried to email and it just bounces back. I left a message on their help desk and...crickets. Did they go out of business and not bother to tell anyone?

I'd beware ordering anything from them presently because if you have a problem they have ZERO customer service right now.
    Good heavens! I ordered the last 157mm orange Pro 4 rear hub from Jenson a week or so ago, it shipped the next day and arrived within 3 days. Had zero issue with them over the years.
    Unfortunately, they do have a limited crew on deck with COOTIES-19, 20 and 21...

I also forgot to mention, Harold keeps buying stuff up and leaving us high and dry!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    I also forgot to mention, Harold keeps buying stuff up and leaving us high and dry!
    I hope that camping toilet I just bought (after a lengthy search because a BUNCH of places were already sold out) doesn't mean that you're even worse off than that.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I hope that camping toilet I just bought (after a lengthy search because a BUNCH of places were already sold out) doesn't mean that you're even worse off than that.
    Dammit! See how you are, Harold...
    All in good fun and a chuckle.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I ordered a jacket from Leatt back in February to try and use it for the tail of snow season. Even back then supply chains were messed up and they were not getting product from the manufacturers. I have yet to receive the order but got word that the container with the product finally made it to US shores late last week and I should see the jacket next week. It stinks to wait so long, but like Harold said the issues are all throughout the chain.

I will say Leatt customer service has been AWESOME. Incredibly informative and responsive.

In my day job part of what I deal with is a call center and there is no reason it cannot be done distributed/remotely, in theory. Of course equipment and employee trust may not exist but the technology to have people take calls from anywhere is neither new nor fancy these days.

So back to Jenson, I have never had an issue with a product not shipping so support has been a non-issue. That said, and this is the truth for all customer service, simply acknowledging the issue via customer communication goes a long way, even if the issue still exists.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    It always amazes how many people rush on here to complain about every tiny issue they have with a retailer. Whether you like it or not, Covid is causing issues for retailers and causing shipping issues. If you haven't heard bike sales are through the roof right now due to Covid so they are probably swamped with callers. Just deal with it like an adult and be patient.
    "rush here and complain"

Are we a little condescending?

Complain? No, I asked a question - whether anyone else is having a hard time getting through to Jenson. I'm well aware about bike sales and shop service delays - I called a shop here this week and they told me that they are 10 weeks out for any service.

(BTW - very much small male equipment energy to list your bikes in your signature. How's that for adult?)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    "rush here and complain"

Are we a little condescending?

Complain? No, I asked a question - whether anyone else is having a hard time getting through to Jenson. I'm well aware about bike sales and shop service delays - I called a shop here this week and they told me that they are 10 weeks out for any service.

(BTW - very much small male equipment energy to list your bikes in your signature. How's that for adult?)
    I'm on your side. Ordered a very expensive set of wheels and the wrong ones are delivered. Cool, they send a return label and I ship them back. In the meantime I needed a different driver for the wheels and they ship it to me and it is the wrong driver! Two wrong orders in a row and my wheels don't show up today on the scheduled delivery time. You will NEVER get a hold of them right now by phone. I spent hours on hold only to be disconnect 4-5 times without anyone ever answering. I finally got a hold of customer service to place my order. They are shipping stuff free for me replacing parts, but it doesn't help much when its wrong and now my bike is down with no way to ride. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of love for Jenson in the past but at this moment they are faltering badly. BADLY!!

mtbr member
    I've only ordered from them a couple of times. I ordered a gift for my son yesterday, and today tracking says it was delivered, but nothing was. Hoping that it's not going to be a PITA to get rectified.

Only commenting as I happened to see the post following emailing them (and the delivery company).
    Just one more ride away from a good mood

Rippin da fAt
    I've had more trouble with Fed-Up and UPS than I had with Jenson...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They are probably crushed because the bike business is booming in times of COVID. I imagine many new customers without too much technical knowledge leads to tons of customer service phone calls.

I have always had top notch interactions with them. Fast shipping, easy returns, good prices, friendly people on the call line

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squads View Post
    They are probably crushed because the bike business is booming in times of COVID. I imagine many new customers without too much technical knowledge leads to tons of customer service phone calls.

I have always had top notch interactions with them. Fast shipping, easy returns, good prices, friendly people on the call line
    Not only that, the COVID restrictions (especially in Cali) have probably negatively affected their business, like the number of employees they can have within a given physical space. Rene Herse in Seattle, for instance, is down to a skeleton crew and is also suffering from poor customer service at this time.

mtbr member

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Always have had good experiences with Jenson. A lot of businesses are getting screwed up lately with COVID impacts. It is not an excuse, it is a reality.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

No known cure
    I don't use Jensens for mail order, but walk in and pick up my order as soon as I get the email that it's ready. The guy working will call can't be bothered to help you of even talk to you. I called about my order from the lobby.

I rarely let anyone touch my bike but since the Corona store is ten minutes from work, I've stopped in twice for service. One was changing out a Hope axle to a bolt on axle. They didn't properly seat the bearings. I needed a quick oil and seal change on a fork. They called when I was halfway to Mammoth telling me they forgot a clip and the fork was unsafe to ride.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ordered from Jensen a few weeks ago and received the package within a week (to Vancouver Island). Never had a problem with Jensen over the years.

Put in an order to Fox Canada and it took days before I even got a conformation email. They said they would email again when the items were ready for shipment. Couple weeks go by and low and behold my shipment arrives. Never did get the shipping email, lol.

So far any online shopping has arrived within a reasonable amount of time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    This right here... ask me how I know.

mtbr member
    i have zero complaints with JensonUSA. I've spent $$$$$ with them, and at the same time they have saved me $$$$. They have an extremely generous return policy, ship fast and free, and have a great selection of bikes and parts. Here are my go to shops:

1. Jenson USA
    2. Competitive Cyclist
    3. Worldwide Cyclery
    4. Bike Bling
    5. eBay

Bike shops are busy. I've been dealing with a certain retailer for two weeks trying to get them to correct an order (missing part). They aren't responding to emails and it takes several attempts over many days to get someone on the phone. But when I do speak with them, I realize they are working hard and trying to service everyone.

Things are just backed up right now. No experienced business owner is going to hire a dozen new full-time employees when it's high unlikely this type of volume will continue when the weather cools down.

Rippin da fAt
    Good Lord! I get to deal with many manufacturers that have been either sidelined or are understaffed by COOTIES-19, 20 and 21! Yus, it is old to not be able to represent my clientele with their needs due to unavailable product. Then, the shipping has slipped to a snail's pace to top that off.

I can only imagine what Jensen, bikeman, etc. are experiencing at this point. Being on skeleton crew status and many product lines unobtainium. Every Tom's Harry Dick is buying a bike, parts up the wazoo etc. I really don't envy the retailers at this point.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Return policy is definitely worth mentioning. You can return parts within 1 year of purchase if they are still new in box. I had a set of I9 hubs I ended up not needing, so I returned about seven months later, no questions asked. That type of return window is basically unheard of.

high pivot witchcraft
    Huh?

As for Jenson, in my experience they have been stellar. 10/10. News Alert - COVID! Like the rest of the world, I suspect they may be experiencing COVID-related challenges. Whatever. First world problems of the highest order.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

jcd's best friend
    I've ordered a few things from Salsa through my Salsa dealer and it took nearly 2 weeks to get the stuff. It is what it is right now. One of my orders showed up a couple days later and the shop forgot to call me. They were so overwhelmed with bikes and forgot that my order came in. I told them it wasn't a big deal. I've learned to be patient with my shops and not stress about it much.

When I bought my Timberjack a couple months ago, the shop noticed that the stock WTB Ranger tire had a defect and so they initiated a warranty replacement prior to selling the bike to me. 2 months later, WTB is still working on the warranty replacement because they are very short staffed right now. Luckily I bought Teravail tires with the bike anyways
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Lot of folks claiming that sales volume is up, as if it is a bad thing. Yes, it is coming with challenges. Yes, it is stressful. But the place I'm at, assembling bikes to ship friggin everywhere, is up 600%!! Meanwhile, the work is still paying the same.

I'm not getting the slightest bit misty-eyed for the retailers, because of COVID pressure.

Feast or effing famine. Bust your ass, appreciate what this has done for the bike industry, and spread the wealth (incentivize) a bit to those you're throwing the burden to.

Really no excuses right now. The half-assed tom-foolery that's taking place now is just being magnified. It was always going on. Now it's more prevelant because this pressure showed the cracks that were easily missed/excused before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I've ordered several items through Cambria, Fair Wheel Bikes, Specialized and my LBS during covid. Really had no delays. Bottomline is some places have their sh$t together and other places don't.

Trail Ninja
    Looks like Jenson's career opportunity page has quite a few openings too.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    I've ordered several items through Cambria, Fair Wheel Bikes, Specialized and my LBS during covid. Really had no delays. Bottomline is some places have their sh$t together and other places don't.
    A fellow has to realize the different states, cities have different issues with government shutdown of life and business. LBS and retail may be hampered by limited occupancy of business premises as well as shipping having wildly differing delays. Since I deal with manufacturers and wholesalers on a routine basis, no two days bring the same result. Is it really a company X has their shit together or a limitation handed down by the dictatorship?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    A fellow has to realize the different states, cities have different issues with government shutdown of life and business. LBS and retail may be hampered by limited occupancy of business premises as well as shipping having wildly differing delays. Since I deal with manufacturers and wholesalers on a routine basis, no two days bring the same result. Is it really a company X has their shit together or a limitation handed down by the dictatorship?
    I suppose that supposition would be at least partially answered by whether businesses in the same locale have their shit together or are flailing just as pathetically.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    I suppose that supposition would be at least partially answered by whether businesses in the same locale have their shit together or are flailing just as pathetically.
    A possibility but track record over years tells a story as well. The supposition that apple to orange business can be lumped in the same basket leaves much out of the mathematics.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    A possibility but track record over years tells a story as well. The supposition that apple to orange business can be lumped in the same basket leaves much out of the mathematics.
    Agreed. But, there's also the possibility that at a particular capacity, issues weren't showing. Maybe there's an inability to adapt?

This is all speculation at this point, but I think giving the benefit of the doubt with blame to COVID pressures is giving too much rope. As a business of that size, being light on ones feet and able to meet the current challenges would seem as a requisite to staying relevant. This isn't a mom and pop shop with two or three employees.

Rippin da fAt
    While we are dealing with a company with many employees, are there occupancy constraints? Is there a supply constraint? With the current state of bicycle related sales, can they restock to meet demand?
    Occupancy constraint means insufficient staff on deck for all aspects of daily operations. This has been common in Kalifornia municipalities.

Frankly, I ordered a 157mm rear hub a couple weeks ago, from Jenson... It delivered from Kalifornia within three days. Fortunately! Cannot complain in the least since JUSA shipped within 12 hours of order and delivery was faster than my instate suppliers.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pretty sure the topic here was about answering phones, and not supply constraint. Of which, everyone is also dealing with.

Is that Kalifornia's fault?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    And, once again, the issues you state are the burdens of having the privelage of running a business.

I'm not feeling misty in the least. This hasn't just started. This has been the state of business for months at this point. Work out the kinks, or don't.

Rippin da fAt
    Evidently, you do not understand occupancy limits. That translates to limited number of people permitted in the building at any given time. That has limited what a business can do as well as ability to answer phones, fill orders etc. So, there you have it, Misty...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Evidently I DO understand occupancy limits, as well as being able to adapt to changing situations.

Throwing ones hands up and allowing service to go down the tubes is not a business strategy.

And look, I have no personal problem with Jenson. I just ordered some cranks from them.
    But, this is essentially a philosophical debate at this point, where I think you are making nothing but excuses. I sure as shit wouldn't want you in a leadership role working for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'll wait for you to move the goal posts again, depending on what I say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Last time I called into Jensons there were 45 people ahead of me... 45. Over the last few months, every business Iíve dealt with over the phone has had a tremendous wait time (Verizon, Airlines, etc.) I had to call Home Depot 4 times in order to get through. Last call was 50 minutes before I actually spoke to someone. Itís just the way things are right now and Iíd bet the farm that the bike industry didnít see the massive influx of consumers coming their way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not only service delays, but get ready for price gouging now that everyone has to have a bike. Two months ago I paid $70 for an xt 11-46 cassette, now it's up to $99. That's a 42% price increase in two months, and Jenson claims it's a discount from msrp $112.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    I'll wait for you to move the goal posts again, depending on what I say.
    Hold your breath...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ordered a couple of things from Jenson yesterday and the tracking says it will be delivered tomorrow.