introduction. . .hello!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

introduction. . .hello!

I've lurked on this site for a few years. Just moved to Albuquerque from New Orleans...might as well have moved to Mars! I desperate need of equipment change to enjoy these trails without getting the shit kicked outta me on my hardtail.

I bought a used Cannondale Caffeine lefty 29'er hardtail about 3yrs ago and used it a bit in the Deep South. Although there is a system of xc trails in the foothills around ABQ I really need a fs xc mtb hence looking to y'all for some insight. The best riding is in the mountains and i'd like to ride multiple days in a row without getting the shit kicked outta me on a hardtail.

Been riding for many years and love to build bikes. . .mainly because i'm a cheap mofo and can typically collect and build from parts for A LOT cheaper than otherwise. With that said, I'm looking to build/buy a FS 29'er for xc for $2k or less. Used i ok with me. Been doing the online thing for 15yrs and am pretty good at weeding out the riff raff. The challenge with fs mtb is there are SO MANY CHOICES!! Discernment is impossible with some help.

All insight welcome. Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Consider buying something that you can enjoy riding in the mountains and the rocky desert more - and maybe some trips to Angelfire. Maybe a trail bike with 140mm or so suspension or better yet an all mountain bike with 160mm suspension. These bikes are good enough climbers these days to get you to the top of the mountain and they are a lot more fun (and safer) going down than a 100mm xc bike.