• 02-15-2004
    VT Mike
    interesting article about online reviews
    I know that there were some questions about the integrity of the Ellsworth reviews here recently, so I thought some of you might find this article interesting.
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/interne....ap/index.html
    Basically, I bunch of people got caught posting anonymous reviews of their own books on amazon.com
  • 02-15-2004
    Ratt
    How dare you
    suggest any impropriety on the Mtbr boards. I am sure all the people who are responding to the Ellsworth threads have broken an Ellsworth frame or dealt with Ellsworth CS. No axe to grind on this board.
  • 02-15-2004
    DeeEight
    yes but ellsworth staff members have been caught posting false positive reviews on THIS site of the ellsworth products and customer service.
  • 02-15-2004
    Juramentado
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeEight
    yes but ellsworth staff members have been caught posting false positive reviews on THIS site of the ellsworth products and customer service.

That's why relying on these reviews is pretty much like tossing a coin for results.
  • 02-15-2004
    VT Mike
    you sort of missed my point
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratt
    suggest any impropriety on the Mtbr boards. I am sure all the people who are responding to the Ellsworth threads have broken an Ellsworth frame or dealt with Ellsworth CS. No axe to grind on this board.

I wasn't trying to rip on Ellsworth, or their reviews. The fact that online reviews in general aren't very reliable is more what I was getting at. That's what is good about these discussion forums - once you spend a little time here reading what people have to say, you start to get to know the regular posters. Before long you know whose opinions you value, and whose posts aren't even worth reading.
  • 02-15-2004
    ferday
    word
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VT Mike
    I wasn't trying to rip on Ellsworth, or their reviews. The fact that online reviews in general aren't very reliable is more what I was getting at. That's what is good about these discussion forums - once you spend a little time here reading what people have to say, you start to get to know the regular posters. Before long you know whose opinions you value, and whose posts aren't even worth reading.

i agree about the article, there is at least 50% B.S on the internet as a whole. that does leave 50% possibly useful info, but as you said you need to get to know the source. i have been bored enough to read a large portion of the reviews over time, many many of them are 6 words long...this bike sucks! this bike rulez!...and nothing further.

often it is one of the only (and at least easiest) methods of getting info however. and i do like the comment from that author about balance...that seems to be a situation ellesworth is in right now on these boards at least...how to restore the balance?

and to Ratt, i hope you aren't as serious as you seem, this message board as all others i have visited is full of crap, you gotta sift through and judge for yourself what is right or not.
  • 02-15-2004
    Ratt
    Vt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VT Mike

I was j/k, of course this crap goes on, its the freaking internet, no rules here. Even if you tried to impose some rules you could never domesticate the wild animals already here, they've been wild too long.