insurance claim, bike totaled- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

insurance claim, bike totaled

I wasn't riding my bike (remedy 9 29), it was on my bike rack.

I was beginning to travel west from my house, which is four doors east of the intersection where the accident occurred. I saw a van waiting at the stop sign (no stop sign for me) as I entered the intersection then suddenly the van accelerated and struck my car pushing it into the other lane then stopping with my car's rear wheels up on the sidewalk.

The streetlight pole you see in the last picture grabbed my trailer hitch mounted bicycle rack and pulled it outward bending the bike's frame and wheel and destroying the bike rack.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this kind of claim? (not my fault) What can I expect from their insurance company and what should I receive with this claim and should I not easily settle and ask for more?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails insurance claim, bike totaled-img_20190424_132741-s.jpg  

insurance claim, bike totaled-img_20190424_132752-s.jpg  

insurance claim, bike totaled-img_20190424_132814s.jpg  

insurance claim, bike totaled-img_20190424_132820-s.jpg  

insurance claim, bike totaled-img_20190424_132659-s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have no idea about the insurance, but sorry to hear about the accident and glad to hear that you're safe!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    A friend of mine(also a member on this site) was rear-ended recently. The person who hit him had full coverage and they bought him a brand new replacement bike, even though his bike was a decade old, he still got full replacement value for a new bike. Actually worked out really good for him since he wanted an upgrade anyway.

I hope your situation is the same, new Rack, New Bike and 100% fix to the car and any medical coverage you might need.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Your insurance company should fix your car minus your deductible and they should get an offer on the bike---then your company goes after the other company to get their money back along with your deductible.

Note your company should be dealing directly with them----not you---this is what you pay them for----getting directly involved early is not usually a good plan-

This is my experience in CA-----and it took some work to get a decent offer on the bike--helps having receipts and for sale prices on used

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks guys.

How long did it take to get his replacement? I can't stand the downtime. I had to rent a car and wish I could rent a bike but doubt they would cover that. It's been a few days and I haven't heard much other than they (safeco) needs a statement from me but they never seem to be in the office to answer their phone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Your insurance company should fix your car minus your deductible and they should get an offer on the bike---then your company goes after the other company to get their money back along with your deductible.

Note your company should be dealing directly with them----not you---this is what you pay them for----getting directly involved early is not usually a good plan-

This is my experience in CA-----and it took some work to get a decent offer on the bike--helps having receipts and for sale prices on used
    I only have liability on my car.

The bike shop, where I bought this bike, is charging me $30 for an estimate. Is that normal?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchnaut View Post
    Thanks guys.

How long did it take to get his replacement? I can't stand the downtime. I had to rent a car and wish I could rent a bike but doubt they would cover that. It's been a few days and I haven't heard much other than they (safeco) needs a statement from me but they never seem to be in the office to answer their phone.
    It was a few weeks, like 3 or 4 weeks. He used the time to demo a bunch of new bikes until he found what he wanted.

Though he might have bought new in anticipation of the check arriving.

The same thing happened to a different friend about 8 years ago with the same results.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member

The bike shop, where I bought this bike, is charging me $30 for an estimate. Is that normal?
    Well, time is money, and if the shop is going to spend time on preparing a written estimate for you, then I don't think $30 is out of line.

However, I've had a shop write me an estimate for no charge on a bike I bought at another shop before I moved to that area. And yes, I've spent a fair bit of money at that shop afterwards.

So, it goes both ways. But, if a shop charged me $30 to slap a number on a slip of paper, to replace a bike I bought at their shop, I wouldn't feel overly obligated to spend the insurance money at their shop to buy the replacement bike.

If the shop was smart, they'd say, estimate is $30, but we'll knock that off the purchase price when you come in for the replacement bike.
    No dig no whine

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator

What brand and model bike do you have? Find the same thing new on the Manufactures website and give that to the insurance company. They need to replace your bike with exactly what it would cost you to go buy a replacement new. The age of the bike does not matter, the used market for bikes is all over the place and not reliable, things like the bicycle blue book mean nothing. The moron caused you grief and ruined your car and your bike, they need to replace it.

Cars that are used will get the "market Value" treatment because there are more reliable data sets for what cars sell for and what they are worth.

There is no such thing for bikes.

As for dealing with the insurance, just be professional and stand your ground. I had to do the same thing when my Motorcycle was knocked over by a careless driver in a parking lot.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Not trying to be a dick here but you have liability only on a really nice ~2012 4runner...?

But since they were at fault, you should still be able to get everything fixed and replaced by their company. I will say if you did not get a police report or they contest that it wasn't their fault, which is more common that you might think, you better have a good insurance company or you're screwed on both the vehicle and the bike. This recently happened to my brother in his 2004 Ford Ranger. He was deemed no at fault for an accident, the other person actually had the same insurance company, USAA, which by most accounts is a good one, and they told my brother they wouldn't pay for repairs in his truck which was totaled even though the accident wasn't his fault.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Even though you weren't at fault, you will lose on this accident.

The insurance company will do everything that they can to either not pay or pay as little as possible. You will lose a lot of your time dealing with the mess, such as trying to get complete compensation for your losses.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Bikesexual
    Glad you are ok OP, looks like a bad one! Hopefully you got a police report. Them being at fault, should be responsible for all damages.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post

The insurance company will do everything that they can to either not pay or pay as little as possible. You will lose a lot of your time dealing with the mess, such as trying to get complete compensation for your losses.
    I think that depends on the insurance company the guilty party has. I've Farmers, and although I haven't had to use it yet, I'm confident they will come through. My agent is a personal friend of mine, and I'm hoping will step up to the plate when needed.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

poser Administrator
    I had this happen and the car insurance didn't cover this type of damage. Best anyone could offer was to make a claim on my personal home insurance or sue the offenders insurance for the cost of the accident. Though I think in my case the offender only had liability, no property or comprehensive coverage.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Not trying to be a dick here but you have liability only on a really nice ~2012 4runner...?
    Yeah, you may want to reconsider that.

The thing with insurance claims is that the rules and people's experiences seem to vary a lot state to state. My wife and I have had the joy of being in 5 accidents that weren't our fault in the past couple years.

I would expect a bike would be covered under the other driver's property damage coverage. A bike is a cheap thing to pay for in comparison to a house or something else a car could drive into.

mtbr member
    My experiences have been different. Other than the minor inconvenience, our newer cars have been completely fixed without any $ from us. We've been paid by Geico, Progressive, USAA, and I forget the other. Easy-peasy.

On my old SUV, I actually made more money from insurance claims than what I paid for it. That's unusual though and I had driven it for 20 years by that point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I think that depends on the insurance company the guilty party has. I've Farmers, and although I haven't had to use it yet, I'm confident they will come through. My agent is a personal friend of mine, and I'm hoping will step up to the plate when needed.
    I would be very surprised if their insurance offered to pay for everything without a bringing in a lawyer.

mtbr member
    LOL! I just noticed the 20 MPH speed limit sign.

I can't imagine that sort of an impact was done at 20 MPH.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    the other person actually had the same insurance company, USAA, .
    This is the issue your brother faced. When it is the same insurance for both parties, both parties lose. An insurance companies job is to not pay money, that is literally their main goal.

Helping people recover their lives is very much secondary no matter what the commercials say.

I know this from a past experience where I was at fault for pulling in front of a car, the car broadsided me, but I was mostly at fault. I think the insurance (farmers) put the other party partly to blame. My car was totaled because it was a small cheap car, her Lexus was fixed. She filed a bunch of claims for medical coverage stating her back was all bad now from low speed impact. Farmers denied all her medical claims. They did everything possible to pay as little as possible.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It's a 2010 4runner. The reason I only have liability (Costco insurance) is that I had a couple of claims (bumper my fault and 2 windows broken glass from theft) and that raised my premium 100%. I have to wait until my rates lower to be able to purchase collision and comp again.

If they low-ball me (safeco) should I consider possible future medical expense compensation? I don't feel pain now but it could come up later in life. I was hit pretty hard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    LOL! I just noticed the 20 MPH speed limit sign.

I can't imagine that sort of an impact was done at 20 MPH.
    I think she panic floored it when she hit me. That is why my car ended up on the other side of the street with one wheel on the sidewalk. The tire was flat on the side she hit me.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post

This is the way you should approach it. I use an Insurance Broker and when my Wife was in an accident he was the first person i called. He handled everything for us.

Let the insurance companies fight it out. After you get paid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It's a 2010 4runner. The reason I only have liability (Costco insurance) is that I had a couple of claims (bumper my fault and 2 windows broken glass from theft) and that raised my premium 100%. I have to wait until my rates lower to be able to purchase collision and comp again.

If they low-ball me (safeco) should I consider possible future medical expense compensation? I don't feel pain now but it could come up later in life. I was hit pretty hard.
    I can’t figure out why everyone says the guys insurance won’t pay. My wife has been hit in the rear end four different times in the past 10 years, by three people with different insurance carriers, and one with no insurance. All three of the other drivers insurance paid promptly and got whatever she was driving fixed right away, no hassles and no money required from us. They just tell you to choose from their list of body shops, you take your car in, and it fixed no charge to you. The only time your deductible comes into play is if it was your fault or the other driver didn’t have insurance. Once when she was hit by an uninsured driver, my insurance company got the money back from the uninsured guy and reimbursed us for the deductible we had paid.

As far as assessing your bikes value goes, When my bike was stolen from my garage the insurance company had a bike guy who looked up the replacement price of my bike, then they paid me that price, minus the deductible. The paid me considerable more than I had paid for the bike a few years prior. I am surprised that a bike shop has to be involved at all, you can look up any bike on the internet for pricing, and you might even have your receipt. (Don’t forget to at least take a picture of your receipts when you buy bikes or components, for this very reason). If they try to pay you a depreciated bike value that ain’t good. Check with your car/ homeowners to see if they can make up the difference. Another good reason to read your policy every year, and possibly buy a separate bike policy if you have a really expensive bike and/or getting a new one isn’t an easy purchase for you.

And a word of advice from a guy that has put a lot of people in prison, if you feel that neck ache coming on, but only if they don’t give you enough money from your bike, don’t write it down or tell anyone else, including on paper, emails, or here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    does car insurance pay for damage bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Suppose you’d have to read policy, but my guess is yes, the same as If you ran over a cyclist you have to fix him and get him a new bike. Or if your car was stolen and you had a bunch of camera gear in the trunk, the insurance would cover it. If your bikes fell off the rack, that’s another question. Which is why people should read their policies when they renew and buy separate insurance on each hike, if needed. Some companies might place a maximum payout on bikes, like mine does with canoes and kayaks, they limit you to $1000. Which doesn’t help if your $5000 boat get broken in half.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyAsheville View Post
    And a word of advice from a guy that has put a lot of people in prison, if you feel that neck ache coming on, but only if they don’t give you enough money from your bike, don’t write it down or tell anyone else, including on paper, emails, or here.
    I've heard that issues might arise days or months after an accident and should be considered. I was in a minor rear-end accident as a passenger in a friend's car many years ago. I wasn't hurt but the insurance company paid us a set sum for any possible future medical expenses should they arise.

This woman has safeco insurance but I have no idea what kind of coverage she has. I think she has full coverage.

Barely in control
    I've heard that issues might arise days or months after an accident and should be considered. I was in a minor rear-end accident as a passenger in a friend's car many years ago. I wasn't hurt but the insurance company paid us a set sum for any possible future medical expenses should they arise.
    Yes, of course, He's saying to not write "Oh they didn't pay me enough so I'm going to suddenly get a neck ache, wink wink". Get it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I already have a "headache" having to deal with this.

I am my mom's primary caregiver as she has cancer so I've got too much on my plate as it is.

I had to rent a car. I hope they cover that.

**edit. BTW there was an officer present but he said that there will be no police report.

He stayed until I put my spare tire on and drove it home. It pulls badly to the right so it's not safely drive-able

mtbr member
    I already have a "headache" having to deal with this.

I am my mom's primary caregiver as she has cancer so I've got too much on my plate as it is.

I had to rent a car. I hope they cover that.

**edit. BTW there was an officer present but he said that there will be no police report.

He stayed until I put my spare tire on and drove it home. It pulls badly to the right so it's not safely drive-able
    What is that about?

Best of luck to you and your Mom.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member

Sounds like it's already not going well. I would seriously consider pre-emptively getting an attorney and have them file the claim on your behalf. It will carry more weight with the insurance company. Don't forget to claim the cost of the rental car.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I've had friends get bikes replaced through their homeowners insurance for accidents totally their fault. If the accident doesn't pay for it maybe that route would?

That said, I really think and hope the guilty party's insurance should be buying you a brand new bike. I'd work on that assumption until you're told otherwise... Repeatedly and by multiple people increasingly high up in the insurance company's food chain.

mtbr member
    Yep, you need a lawyer NOW! With no police report or fault finding, you are done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Often medical issues arise days after an accident from impact. Unless its an extremely bad accident and you are taken out on a stretcher, you may not feel pains or aches until a week later from your body settling from the impact. "I work in the medical field and deal with claims". Hopefully everything works out for you and its odd no police report was given on a public street. Good thing you have pics of the posted speed limit sign on 20mph, like someone said above, that type of impact doesn't come at 20mph and her gunning it at impact would necessarily increase the impact damage but cause more pushing and tire spinning on her end which should show on the pavement. I would take pics of any skid marks if there are some to show she didn't hit her brakes.
    2018 Specialized Pitch Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Is OP entitled to a brand new car as well as the bike?
    The person at fault should also ask that the replacement car come equipped with custom wheels/tires too.

Where does the claim end when saying "you should get part x brand new". Insurance is meant to make a person whole, not better than before. In most cases.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    It was a few weeks, like 3 or 4 weeks. He used the time to demo a bunch of new bikes until he found what he wanted.

Though he might have bought new in anticipation of the check arriving.

The same thing happened to a different friend about 8 years ago with the same results.
    You have the luckiest friends! We might have to start hanging out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Where does the claim end when saying "you should get part x brand new". Insurance is meant to make a person whole, not better than before. In most cases.
    As has been stated in this thread already, specific used bikes aren't always readily available used like cars and estimating their value is much more nebulous. Given the relatively low cost compared to cars it makes sense that insurance companies just shell out the extra to buy a new bike. I'd guess that insurance companies don't look at bikes as a large asset like a car as well - if your toaster is damaged in an accident (can't think of a better example haha) they aren't going to suggest you look for a used one of equal value... I know toasters and bikes are very different to us but my guess is to an insurance adjuster they probably aren't.

mtbr member
    The person at fault should also ask that the replacement car come equipped with custom wheels/tires too.

Years ago I hit a deer and the insurance company wanted to charge me for "betterment" by providing new parts. I pushed back by saying that I did not request new parts and if they had used parts I would be happy to have them installed. They backed off.

BTW, that damage looks consistent with a 20 mph impact

rth009
    May 2010
    If you're driving a vehicle like that 4Runner, even if it is a few years old, you need to have comprehensive and collision coverage for it. If you cant afford the insurance, you cant afford that vehicle. What was you plan if you wrecked it and it was your fault?

As far as getting reimbursed by the other parties insurance, you need to get your estimate and documentation together and make the claim in writing with their insurer.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Property damage liability insurance should pay for any damage to property caused by the at fault party, here the mini-van driver.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Yes it's normal (happened to me) and the bike shop wrote up stuff I didn't even realize was damaged. I ended up doing very well on that portion of my claim. The bike should be a low-worry proposition.

If you can't afford the downtime, just buy another bike now.

mtbr member
    I just wanted to say, that I'm really sorry to read of your mom's struggle and your compounding problems. Keep your chin up.

I cannot imagine that there's no accident report by the police. I thought that was standard procedure? It is required by any insurance co, and they know that. Did the officer give you any paperwork at the scene? case number, contact info, something?

Did you contact your insurance co, to see if they had any advice on how to proceed or if they could help move it along?

Hopefully, the other driver's insurance will come through for you. I'm sure your vehicle will be covered, but you may have to get tough about your bike and rack. Not sure if it's worth the fees of lawyering up for, but that's your call.

FYI to others - my bike is not covered by my homeowners, when away from my home. Nor is it covered by auto, when on my truck. I have a separate "rider policy" for my bikes. It's fairly inexpensive and supposedly covers my bike with a new replacement, not depreciated value. I've never used it though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator

No, the OP is entitled to have is damaged property fixed back to the condition it was in before the accident. With an automobile that is easier to do since there are multiple parts vendors and body shops to fix them and a few different value system to value used cars in the case of a total loss. For bicycles there is nothing like that, so they just replace it. If you own a 2017 specialized enduro pro, they buy you a 2019 enduro pro. If you own a 2010 enduro pro, they buy you a 2019 enduro pro.....

If your bike rack is a hitch mount Yakima that holds 4 bikes, they buy you a new Yakima 4 bike hitch mount. The age is not relevant. They replace what was damaged.

Also to the OP, you should have demanded a police report.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Pro Crastinator
    i took pictures of my bike to verify parts and then made a parts list and the cost to replace all of them. i had a bike shop verify and sign the list and gave said list to the insurance company. i was reimbursed the full monetary value...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Just to toss something else into the potential win column; my friend who damaged his bike by purely his own fault and got it replaced thanks to homeowner's insurance got to keep the old bike... It only had frame damage, all the parts were fine, so he was able to buy a new frame and end up with two bikes instead of one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    If you're driving a vehicle like that 4Runner, even if it is a few years old, you need to have comprehensive and collision coverage for it. If you cant afford the insurance, you cant afford that vehicle. What was you plan if you wrecked it and it was your fault?

As far as getting reimbursed by the other parties insurance, you need to get your estimate and documentation together and make the claim in writing with their insurer.
    One only needs to insure for risks they are not willing to take.

Paradoxically those that really "need" insurance are the ones that are less likely to be able to afford it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    What is that about?

Best of luck to you and your Mom.
    Well, I think because I was partially blocking the lane so he parked in the middle of the street while I changed my tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post

I had full coverage but having someone break two windows to steal a backpack and tent out of my car and a fender bender rear end my fault caused my insurance rate to double. It is necessary, at this time and temporarily, to lower my rates to compensate for the increase.

Their insurance co needed a statement from me to assign fault. The lady, at the scene, admitted she did not see me. My entire street has no stop signs. Only the side streets have stop signs so I am clearly not at fault.

I am waiting for them to call me with approved or suggested repair shops I can take it to.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    The lady, at the scene, admitted she did not see me.
    That seems crazy given the picture, she drove right into you. Thankful it wasn't a pedestrian or cyclist.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Unless a police officer witnessed the accident or performs some kind of accident reconstruction, a "police report" is of limited or no value in assessing fault. Photos are helpful, as is a credible description of what happened, and any witnesses there may be. In the absence of anything else, an after-the-fact police report may be somewhat useful to claim adjusters, but it is by no means essential.

The insurance process takes the place of a lawsuit between the parties to assess fault through principles of negligence. That's why, if you are unhappy with the insurance settlement, you can always sue. This would seem to be a pretty clear cut case, so that's not much of a worry.

Some insurance companies are crappier than others in terms of paying claims and giving "service" to the insured, or to the injured party. You can't really generalize too much.

CEO Product Failure

No good

Yes. I have had an insurance claim for a mtb. Auto insurance does not cover your bike but may/may not cover the hitch. If you have to use your insurance, it'll be through your home owners or renters insurance.

Before you make the claim, PLEASE TALK TO YOUR AGENT. Here's why: In March 2017 we had hail damage, $17k roof, made a claim on home owners. In Jan 2018, something similar happened to my wife's SC Tallboy while on the bike rack, made a claim to home owners. In July 2018, we were robbed ($5K+) our vehicle was broken into. Auto insurance covered vehicle damage but not the contents--home owners covered contents. In August 2018, our homeowners policy was cancelled because we were considered uninsurable due to the 3 claims.

Back story: in my 17 years with Allstate, those are the only claims ever. Both my wife and I have a spotless driving record (not that it factors into home owners). What I learned after the fact was 2-3 claims with any homeowners / renters policy makes you UNINSURABLE regardless of fault or cause. I did end up getting high risk home owners insurance which we'll have until the first claim is 37 mo's old. No fun.

Edited to add: I am so very sorry this happened to you. It sucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just received a call from their insurance company. They are accepting full liability. What a relief but still have to take time out that I don't really have.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I just received a call from their insurance company. They are accepting full liability. What a relief but still have to take time out that I don't really have.
    Great to hear. I hope your bike shop gave them the correct value of your damaged Trek Top Fuel SL...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I bet that's really making your neck and shoulders tighten up... Or is that a lingering injury? You could go to a doctor to get checked out, but you'd have to drive yourself and the thought of getting behind the wheel again is probably making you a bit anxious.

Mostly kidding, obviously don't do anything unethical - but I think you are owed some compensation beyond the damages and using 'imaginative language' to accurately describe how it is affecting you might help.

Great to hear. I hope your bike shop gave them the correct value of your damaged Trek Top Fuel SL...
    He had a Remedy 29... A Slash 9.9 is much more comparable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I bet that's really making your neck and shoulders tighten up... Or is that a lingering injury? You could go to a doctor to get checked out, but you'd have to drive yourself and the thought of getting behind the wheel again is probably making you a bit anxious.

Mostly kidding, obviously don't do anything unethical - but I think you are owed some compensation beyond the damages and using 'imaginative language' to accurately describe how it is affecting you might help.

He had a Remedy 29... A Slash 9.9 is much more comparable.
    They don't make a Remedy in 29" wheel size anymore. Do they make a 29" Slash in AL?

CEO Product Failure
    Awesome news!

mtbr member
    They don't make a Remedy in 29" wheel size anymore. Do they make a 29" Slash in AL?
    Yes, I believe they do. It was recently reviewed in Bike magazine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The bike shop first recommended a Remedy 7 as a replacement but that's a 27.5". So then they rewrote the estimate to suggest a Slash 8 29er. The difference was only a few hundred.

The insurance company wants to see a receipt for my bike and wants to know how much I paid for it. Isn't that irrelevant? That was in 2014 and I haven't seen the receipt in over a year. I got a deal on the Remedy 9 as it was used for a magazine review. I doubt I'd be able to find a deal like that again.

The Slash 9 msrp is less than the msrp for the Remedy 9 in 2014.

Candlestick Maker
    My experience...rear-ended in stop and go traffic, completely destroying my bike and rack + 6k in damage to my vehicle. The other driver was rightfully ticketed. Their insurance covered all car repair costs and bike costs (per my detailed spreadsheet). Bike rack was not covered, but at that point, I figured I had a reasonably fair deal and didn't push it. My many Chiro visits were covered (I think by my own auto insurance med coverage plan). Eventually, the other people's insurance also ponied up some type of pain and suffering $$$ (which I didn't ask for or even mention). I think they were trying to avoid a lawsuit, since their client was clearly at fault and I was injured.
    baker

mtbr member
    Hire this guy immediately.
    https://youtu.be/X8rxPrV-tn4
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The bike shop first recommended a Remedy 7 as a replacement but that's a 27.5". So then they rewrote the estimate to suggest a Slash 8 29er. The difference was only a few hundred.

The insurance company wants to see a receipt for my bike and wants to know how much I paid for it. Isn't that irrelevant? That was in 2014 and I haven't seen the receipt in over a year. I got a deal on the Remedy 9 as it was used for a magazine review. I doubt I'd be able to find a deal like that again.

Take a picture of each component, and match that to the spec sheet. Anything that you have upgraded can then be listed separately. They can request a receipt, but it's not like you're a company tracking expenses. It's reasonable you don't still have it.

If I paid a dollar for a new Camry, they still have to pay for the Camry if it's totalled.

They're trying to figure out how to pay you less, that's their job. Make them pay more.

Editing to add, when they ask questions answer accurately but complimentary. They will fish for reasons to pay you less. It's a lot like a dealership trying to pay as little as possible for your trade in.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Yes, that was my point.

If you are friendly with your shop they may be able to reprint the receipt for you, but make sure they don't forget to include the sale price - it'd be a shame if they accidentally printed it for MSRP.

The other option is to try and force the insurance company to accept the shop's estimate for a comparable replacement; the full MSRP of a Slash 8. I would think that should be fair, since it is truly what it would cost to get a close replacement.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I would definitely push back on their request for a receipt. That's absurd, they're probably trying to get out of paying it at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It is unlikely the insurance company will pay for all upgrades.

Just the same as I won't pay you a premium for YOUR upgrades to a 5 year old bike. At the end, I'm still buying a 5 year old bike -for example.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Just the same as I won't pay you a premium for YOUR upgrades to a 5 year old bike. At the end, I'm still buying a 5 year old bike -for example.
    There could be a big difference between 5yo bike with original components and 5yo with complete upgrades to brakes & drivetrain. Not even mentioning adding a dropper and replacing fork with something more modern.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    It is unlikely the insurance company will pay for all upgrades.

If I had upgraded it significantly I'd probably just try to get them to go off the cost of the frame plus those upgrades (since by the time you do a wheelset, drivetrain and brakes it's basically a new build)... But you're right - anything short of a full rebuild is basically pissing in the wind value-wise, which is why I very rarely upgrade my bikes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I would definitely push back on their request for a receipt. That's absurd, they're probably trying to get out of paying it at all.

Just give them the going price for the same speced Remedy 9, 2019 model. that is all they need to know.

If your current bike is a Remedy 9.7, then they owe you $4199.99:
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...y-9-7/p/24505/

If your current bike is a Remedy 9.9 then they owe you $7349.99:
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=teal

Do not provide them with any receipts. Just show them what you own that was ruined beyond repair by their client, and link them to the Trek Website.

Whether you bought it used, or as a demo unit is none of their business. If they want to re-coup the money they owe you because of their clients negligence, then they need to go after their client.

Do not forget your are the victim and should not take further abuse.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My bike is a stock Remedy 9 29. The only difference being I swapped the rear wheel for an Arc27 with DT240s.

The shop is recommending a Slash 8 for $3,694.99. They have on sale a Slash 9.7 for $2,999.99 that i'm interested in but it's components are NX with an 11 speed and a RockShox Yari RC fork The Slash 8 uses GX components with 12 speeds and a Lyrik RC fork. What's more important? Frame material or component selection with an extra gear?

Originally they recommended the Remedy 7 (NX 12 speed) as a replacement but that's a 27.5"

Ethics are important as integrity seems to be in short supply nowadays. It seems that with insurance companies, those qualities are not important as they try to pay as little as possible or not at all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    What you intend to purchase has nothing to do with the replacement value.

My buddy I spoke of up top who recently had his bike crushed in a rear-ender had an older Yeti SB something. The at-fault persons insurance gave him the cash value of a new Yeti SB. He ended up buying Yeti again, but demo'd like 4 different bikes.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Insurance will assume a 10-15% inflated cost, so gross-up accordingly to negotiate real cost to you.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What do you guys think would be the best replacement? A slash 8 or 9.7? The 9.7 is last years model for $2999.99 and it has only 11 speed nx components

edit- oops I already mentioned the bikes. I have picked up pneumonia so i'm not all there in my head.

My 2014 Remedy 9 29 was MSRP: $4,729.99 which I purchased for less than $3000. Some say it doesn't matter what I paid for it, they should pay out the MSRP. Why did the bike shop suggest a lower MSRP bike for the insurance company at $3694? The 2019 Slash 9.7 is closer to MSRP of the 2014 Remedy and has a 12 speed nx/gx mix.

mtbr member
    My bike is a stock Remedy 9 29. The only difference being I swapped the rear wheel for an Arc27 with DT240s.

The shop is recommending a Slash 8 for $3,694.99. They have on sale a Slash 9.7 for $2,999.99 that i'm interested in but it's components are NX with an 11 speed and a RockShox Yari RC fork The Slash 8 uses GX components with 12 speeds and a Lyrik RC fork. What's more important? Frame material or component selection with an extra gear?

Originally they recommended the Remedy 7 (NX 12 speed) as a replacement but that's a 27.5"

Ethics are important as integrity seems to be in short supply nowadays. It seems that with insurance companies, those qualities are not important as they try to pay as little as possible or not at all.
    I'd go with the better components. The components will make a bigger difference to your ride than the frame material.

since 4/10/2009
    My 2014 Remedy 9 29 was MSRP: $4,729.99 which I purchased for less than $3000. Some say it doesn't matter what I paid for it, they should pay out the MSRP. Why did the bike shop suggest a lower MSRP bike for the insurance company at $3694?
    Probably ought to ask them about that. There are a few things I can think of that might be factors, but they don't mean squat without the shop's reasons for doing something. Maybe they just adjust the MSRP down by a certain pct per year for things like this. Who knows?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Agree with Harold that you should follow up with them.

You got a great deal on your bike. You are unlikely to get that type of deal on a similar bike brand new this time of year.

I think you said in prior post that Insurance said they will cover all. Doesn't really mean your view of "all.". Given that you don't have an attorney who regularly works with the insurance companies, you'll likely need to negotiate yourself.

You shouldn't settle for less than the lower quote from the LBS. Get your reasons in order for why it should be higher.

When you get the check, I'd by the bike elsewhere, or at least have options lined up so that you get best deal.

mtbr member
    What do you guys think would be the best replacement? A slash 8 or 9.7? The 9.7 is last years model for $2999.99 and it has only 11 speed nx components

edit- oops I already mentioned the bikes. I have picked up pneumonia so i'm not all there in my head.

My 2014 Remedy 9 29 was MSRP: $4,729.99 which I purchased for less than $3000. Some say it doesn't matter what I paid for it, they should pay out the MSRP. Why did the bike shop suggest a lower MSRP bike for the insurance company at $3694? The 2019 Slash 9.7 is closer to MSRP of the 2014 Remedy and has a 12 speed nx/gx mix.
    It's not the MSRP, its the relative quality of the bike. The Slash 8 seems to be similar in quality to your bike and is right around the $3700 MSRP mark. Think of it this way, if you paid $3,500 for a 65" Samsung TV in 2014 and it got stolen, your insurance company is going to buy you a 65" Samsung TV to make you whole. That TV today may be $1,100. Price does not matter, getting a similar replacement product is what matters.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    If the insurance company gives you the runaround, start making noises about needing to visit the chiropractor because you've been experiencing a lot of back trouble since the wreck.... when their policyholder is at fault in a wreck like this, they're usually pretty amiable on property replacement, especially if they can avoid having to pay out major medical bills.

I'll never forget getting T-boned by some lady and collecting more from the insurance company than I'd originally paid for the car... after driving it for 3 years. They were so thrilled I wasn't claiming a medical injury, that they fell over themselves settling.

CEO Product Failure
    I wonder if the bike manufacturer will consider offering you a "crash replacement" deal. Technically, this would qualify as a crash.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    It's not the MSRP, its the relative quality of the bike. The Slash 8 seems to be similar in quality to your bike and is right around the $3700 MSRP mark. Think of it this way, if you paid $3,500 for a 65" Samsung TV in 2014 and it got stolen, your insurance company is going to buy you a 65" Samsung TV to make you whole. That TV today may be $1,100. Price does not matter, getting a similar replacement product is what matters.
    BINGO!!!!

Original Price has nothing to do with it. Replacement Value is the only concern.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    My family and I have USAA. Between us all, we've had 2 fender benders and payment in both cases was easy and complete with no deductible because in both cases the other driver was at fault. In the case of USAA, damage to a bike on a bike rack is covered by homeowner's or renter's policies, not by the auto policy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    In the case of USAA, damage to a bike on a bike rack is covered by homeowner's or renter's policies, not by the auto policy.
    Do you mean if you as the USAA policy holder back your bike rack into a wall and damage your own property that is how it works?

Because when you have Liability coverage, that coverage is not just for the vehicle you hit, it is also for other property you might have damaged and medical for the innocent drivers as well as pain and suffering.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Do you mean if you as the USAA policy holder back your bike rack into a wall and damage your own property that is how it works?

Because when you have Liability coverage, that coverage is not just for the vehicle you hit, it is also for other property you might have damaged and medical for the innocent drivers as well as pain and suffering.
    Yea, I can see how homeowner's would cover it if it's your fault, no one's fault or the person at fault can't be held accountable (theft) but if it's an auto accident with the other person clearly at fault it doesn't make sense for anything other than their (the person at fault) auto policy to cover it.

mtbr member

As I said, it's not covered by my USAA auto liability insurance, collision, or anything else associated with my auto insurance. It has no connection to my auto insurance policy, even though that would be a logical assumption.

If someone were to rear end my car while carrying my bikes, my homeowner's policy is the operative coverage for bike damage. If I back my car into my house and damage my bike, I would look into seeing if it was covered by my homeowner's policy and to what extent.

I can't comment as to what the other driver's insurance - car or home - might or might not cover on their end, because I just don't know. I would expect the other driver, if at fault, to be held responsible. USAA is pretty good IME about going after them.

I called USAA about this several years ago. My wife and I had both gotten new, expensive bikes and we were more careful than when we drove home with our first baby! I thought the auto policy would cover it, but I was told it was the homeowner's policy that would cover it.

If you really want to know the details, though, of what your coverage is, I'd say call your insurance company and ask them. That's the only way to know for sure.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Yea, I can see how homeowner's would cover it if it's your fault, no one's fault or the person at fault can't be held accountable (theft) but if it's an auto accident with the other person clearly at fault it doesn't make sense for anything other than their (the person at fault) auto policy to cover it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I called USAA about this several years ago. My wife and I had both gotten new, expensive bikes and we were more careful than when we drove home with our first baby! I thought the auto policy would cover it, but I was told it was the homeowner's policy that would cover it.
    Did you ask them what would happen if you were at fault and crashed into another person's car and crushed their bikes and bike rack? That is what is being discussed here. USAA and any other liability insurance will cover the replacement of anything you as the driver damaged and are Liable for. If they wont cover it, then you are still liable and the innocent party would then sue you for the replacement money.... but I am pretty sure USAA would cover their bike and rack if you were at fault. That is the whole point of the government requiring that everyone have Liability coverage, it is to make sure if you do something bad the innocent person is covered.

The scenario of needing to go to your homeowners to cover your own bike being damaged by someone else would only come into play if the person who ran into you had no insurance.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah ok. I'm fine with a Slash 8 replacement. They are still asking for a receipt with the price I paid for the Remedy. Do they think I stole it?!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah ok. I'm fine with a Slash 8 replacement. They are still asking for a receipt with the price I paid for the Remedy. Do they think I stole it?!!!
    Don't give it to them.

You are negotiating for a comparable equipped bike today.

I wouldn't fixate on a single bike. You could look at 3 different comparably equipped new bikes that you are interested in and get a check for an amount.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Don't give it to them.

You are negotiating for a comparable equipped bike today.

I wouldn't fixate on a single bike. You could look at 3 different comparably equipped new bikes that you are interested in and get a check for an amount.

what brands could give an equivalent bang for buck like the slash 8?

mtbr member
    For negotiation purposes you are NOT looking for bang for the buck. You want to find the most expensive bikes that are spec'd similarly. Get the check in hand for as high an amount as possible, then go shopping for a deal.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    No, it's because you can't technically make an insurance claim on something you don't own, or that's the likely angle they're going for. It's a BS tactic to try and get out of paying entirely by making a claim that you can't prove the bike was yours. Probably too late for it, but this sort of crap is why I refuse to communicate with another driver's insurance company at all, that's what your insurance company should be doing in most cases.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    They already told me they accept full liability and see no fault on my part.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    They already told me they accept full liability and see no fault on my part.
    Then tell them to pony up. Did you ask your shop if they could provide a receipt? I work in a Trek shop and I'd have no trouble printing you one in 45 seconds or less, even though the sale was completed years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Then tell them to pony up. Did you ask your shop if they could provide a receipt? I work in a Trek shop and I'd have no trouble printing you one in 45 seconds or less, even though the sale was completed years ago.
    People in this thread say it's none of their business what I paid for the bike and I should not produce a receipt for them. An estimate for replacement, from the bike shop, should suffice. I haven't shown any paperwork, receipt or even my drivers license for the 4runner. All they want for that is the estimate from the repair shop. (well the party that hit me exchanged that info with me but no sales receipt for my car)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    what brands could give an equivalent bang for buck like the slash 8?
    I don't know anything about the Slash 8, but from Trek Specs you ought to be able to find comparable bikes from Specialized and Santa Cruz, Yeti, etc... Don't quote Internet Only companies or cheaper brands.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The only other bike under $4000 I like appears to be the Transition. I still think the Slash 8 is "cutting-edge" compared to most and it just sits nice, the lines and angles, to me.

The Trek dealer around here I don't think negotiates much if at all the price of some bikes as they seem to not carry a large inventory. The Slash 8 would have to come from one of their other shops. They don't even have one at their main store.

mtbr member
    Geez, don't be so focused on feeling you must get a deal. As long as you get a bike of equal quality you will be upgrading by the virtue of it being newer. You want to feel like you got a deal? Take the check for $3,800 and cash it. You will have just gotten double the money that a 2014 bike is worth. Then go find an old 2014 Remedy and buy it. Heck, there is a 2014 Superfly on ebay with carbon wheels for $1,900. Same year bike, carbon frame and hoops + $1,900 in your pocket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm just going by what others have suggested here. I'm tempted to just use my credit card now and just get it so I can get back to riding.

**edit - yikes! preliminary estimate for my car is already $6600.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For negotiation purposes you are NOT looking for bang for the buck. You want to find the most expensive bikes that are spec'd similarly. Get the check in hand for as high an amount as possible, then go shopping for a deal.
    This is exactly it. Back in the 90's over a 6 year period I had to file 3 different insurance claims through my renter's policy. All legit claims for 2 thefts and another bike that met its demise while driving through my garage door. I had receipts and pictures of everything to support upgrades that I had made. Never had a problem getting checks for replacement value and then went shopping for the new stuff.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    People in this thread say it's none of their business what I paid for the bike and I should not produce a receipt for them. An estimate for replacement, from the bike shop, should suffice. I haven't shown any paperwork, receipt or even my drivers license for the 4runner. All they want for that is the estimate from the repair shop. (well the party that hit me exchanged that info with me but no sales receipt for my car)
    I don't really see why. Trek dropped their prices a couple years ago pretty much across the board, so what you paid back then will hold up to current value for new. I don't see how it could hurt and it sounds like that's what's holding up the process. If I were you I'd just want to move on - getting any 2019 bike with an equivalent build to your 2014 for zero cost to you is a HUGE gift from the gods, no need to worry about getting every last dollar out of it.

mtbr member
    I don't really see why. Trek dropped their prices a couple years ago pretty much across the board, so what you paid back then will hold up to current value for new. I don't see how it could hurt and it sounds like that's what's holding up the process. If I were you I'd just want to move on - getting any 2019 bike with an equivalent build to your 2014 for zero cost to you is a HUGE gift from the gods, no need to worry about getting every last dollar out of it.
    The problem is that he only paid ~65% of MSRP, so his receipt could provide a reason for the insurance company to pay less. A new bike of similar specification to the one that is destroyed is about $3,800 MSRP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I wish this never happened. I was heading out that day to go riding. I only made it 4 doors away from home. The sun is out and I want to ride but can't now. I do ride in the rain as well but it's so nice out....

I have asked for a copy of the receipt for the Remedy. They still have not replied. I'll ask again today.
    Last edited by lynchnaut; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:06 AM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I have asked for a copy of the receipt for the Remedy. They still have not replied. I'll ask again today.
    Just show them the trek website for the remedy and let them know which model their client destroyed, ask them to cut you a check for the MSRP amount of the replacement model on the trek website.

MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    The problem is that he only paid ~65% of MSRP, so his receipt could provide a reason for the insurance company to pay less. A new bike of similar specification to the one that is destroyed is about $3,800 MSRP.
    Ah I missed that, ya I wouldn't be eager to hand over that receipt either.

Just show them the trek website for the remedy and let them know which model their client destroyed, ask them to cut you a check for the MSRP amount of the replacement model on the trek website.
    This. You didn't have a used bike of unknown condition, you had a bike you bought new and had maintained the way you wanted... That doesn't exist in the used market so they will simply have to buy you a comparable new one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast