mtbr member

Inner tubes, do you guys still carry one?

I do, however, I don't want to tempt fate here but I haven't had a flat tyre in over 2 years and that was on my cross bike, probably 3 years since having one on my MTD. I have ran tubeless for a long time, probably night on 15 years now, since Mavic UST arrived. I carry a Dynaplug tubeless repair kit and have used that successfully on my bikes.

I feel that modern rims and tyres along with sealant have improved massively over the past few years and I am almost at the stage where I'm considering dumping the inner tube, at least for shorter rides.

It's probably a silly plan to be honest, given the small weight penalty carrying one involves, but I was just wondering who still carries an inner tube also and if not, what spurred you on to that decision?

mtbr member
    I carry one on any rides where i will be far enough away from my car that walking back would be a real bummer. I also carry tire plugs and a mini pump. On rides at smaller trail systems, the tube stays in the car.
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    I carry one on any rides where i will be far enough away from my car that walking back would be a real bummer. I also carry tire plugs and a mini pump. On rides at smaller trail systems, the tube stays in the car.
    I knew I wasnít alone in my thinking! Yes I also carry a pump, tyre boot etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    depends on the ride distance, if it is longer I will take one along with a pump but if I am just riding at a local park I leave them in the truck.

mtbr member
    Most of my rides start at home but I can end up 10 miles or so from home. Pump, patches, tire plugs, and a tube go with me.

Bikesexual
    Are these the plugs you guys are talking about? I just want to ditch my pack on shorter rides, if I can figure out how to attach a pump to my Heckler I would be happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Innov...ike+tire+plugs

Any brands better than others? Thanks (hopefully is not a hijack)
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Are these the plugs you guys are talking about? I just want to ditch my pack on shorter rides, if I can figure out how to attach a pump to my Heckler I would be happy.

These are the ones I use, theyíre great but pricey!

http://www.dynaplug.com/

The Genuine Innovations and others do the same job though, just not quite as nicely packaged.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    These are the ones I use, theyíre great but pricey!

Dynaplug¬ģ Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories

The Genuine Innovations and others do the same job though, just not quite as nicely packaged.

Thanks J! Those are pricey!!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

mtbr member
    Thanks J! Those are pricey!!
    The plastic ("carbon") version is only $25
    Dynaplug¬ģ Online Store |Dynaplug¬ģ Carbon Ultralite Bicycle Edition - Tubeless Tire Repair Kit
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

C8N
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I always carry a tube with me and like the OP, haven't had a flat in about a year and a half. Not too long ago, I thought my pack was a little too heavy and thought about dumping some stuff but decided against it. Few weeks ago, I had back to back flats due to sidewall tears. Better safe than sorry as they say.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Only if taking the pack

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I keep one in the pack just in case. But since it has been cooler, I havenít been taking the hydro pack...just water bottle...last time out I had a flat top...didnít notice it until after the ride...got lucky

2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

nvphatty
    always......have 3, one in each tire/wheel and a spare.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I got a new tire and wanted to test it out with a tube before committing to sealant, after realizing how insanely hard it is to mount a tire with a tube on my wheels I no longer bother with bringing a tube. I only carry plugs now. I'll bring a tube if I ever do a wilderness ride but theres no way in hell Im going through mounting a tire on the side of a trail when I can walk back in less time and frustration.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I have one taped to my downtube near the BB junction. I haven't needed to use a tube in a looong time but it's there just in case. The location keeps the bike's overall center of gravity low.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I'm the same, had a couple of sets of tyres set up tubeless, but eventually went back to tubes, so always carry at least 1 spare tube, 2 if longer ride.
    All the gear and no idea.

slow
    Yep, I carry a tube and a patch kit when I ride solo. I am bad about refreshing sealant in my tubeless setups and I have a couple of wheels that have tubes in them from past trail-side repairs that never got converted back to tubeless. I have also had more than one flat in a ride.

When I am patrolling the local trails, I carry 2-3 spare tubes to help out any stranded bikers who may not have brought their own.

WillWorkForTrail
    I used to carry a tube with me, then I needed my tube one day and discovered I'd carried it for so long it had crumbled into dust. I just carry some plugs and a small pump and a little bottle of extra sealant.

psycho cyclo addict
    I always carry a tube- mostly to avoid the walk of shame or excessively delay an awesome ride.

~98% of the time it ends up being deployed for another rider (that I come upon or riding who is with me). I also carry the cheapy plug kit that jcd46 mentioned. I've had to plug a couple of tires over the years and it lasted longer than the tread.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    I always carry at least 1 tube. Sometimes 2 tubes as spares. Don't use them often, but it happens. Last week I was on a group ride and one guy cut a tire and needed a tube.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I carry 2 in my pack. Also carry a dollar bill sized piece of Tyvek which can be used to plug larger tire cuts/tears.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    I feel naked without a spare tube and mini-pump on board, I don't know that I'll ever need it now with tubeless but I'll probably always carry one anyway. I have to check the spare occasionally for dry rot though which I never had to worry about with tubed tires.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Pro Crastinator
    always. never know who might need one...

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Always. I use a super light 26 tube that weighs 100ish grams. It's never worth walking home, even if you never need to use it, someone else might. A long time ago I started carrying a full set of tools with chain beaker, pump, patch kit, tweezers, money/tire boot, zip ties. I recently added a dynaplug to that kit. It all fits in a nice light package that snaps on the bike.
    Inner tubes, do you guys still carry one?-20170828_190035.jpgInner tubes, do you guys still carry one?-20170626_145552_zps24ian7cq.jpg
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Always in the wrong gear
    I have always, and probably always will carry a tube, a way to inflate it, a tire lever, and a multi tool in a little bag strapped to my seat.
    I have a nifty mini pump that can both pump and inflate CO2, and fits in the bag, so I carry that plus one 16gm cartridge. It's terribly inefficient, but would do the job and beats walking if I need a 2nd CO2.
    I actually just replaced the tube because after about a year and a half of riding in the bag it was looking pretty scruffy from rubbing on stuff and I didn't trust it. It never got used, and is probably 2 years or more old.

I'd love to move the whole kit lower on the bike, but it's all safely enclosed in a cordura seat bag, and moving it would either 1) expose it to elements, or 2) fill a bottle cage. I made the jump to packless for all but the most remote rides, and loving it, but AZ weather requires 2 big bottles of water, so I need both cages.

Edit: I ride with several guys who carry 'tire bacon' or some other kind of plug, plus a tiny bottle of sealant, and a CO2, no tube. I personally can't make plugs work well, 100% user error, so I just carry the tube.
    I also remembered theres a palm-sized piece of plastic milk-jug in that bag too, incase of a catastrophic casing cut. I have personally seen 1 inch+ long rips in tires thanks to sharp AZ rocks.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Always. I use a super light 26 tube that weighs 100ish grams. It's never worth walking home, even if you never need to use it, someone else might. A long time ago I started carrying a full set of tools with chain beaker, pump, patch kit, tweezers, money/tire boot, zip ties. I recently added a dynaplug to that kit. It all fits in a nice light package that snaps on the bike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170828_190035.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	1169852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170626_145552_zps24ian7cq.JPG 
Views:	358 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	1169853
    This is very much like my setup, I haven't modified my One Up EDC as yet though, I tend to keep my Dynaplug inside my One Up pump which seems to work well.

mtbr member
    I'm a retro-grouch and still run tubes. So, yes, I carry one on my rides.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I still carry a tube but it's a couple years old and probably unnecessary on most of the trails I ride. I have mine strapped to the seat with an awesome strap.

My tube is packaged with a small tire leaver and wrapped in a plastic bag tapped up to a thin piece of Velcro. It's small enough to fit under the saddle rails against the seat. You can't even see it unless you look from under the bike.

Bikesexual
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170626_145552_zps24ian7cq.JPG 
Views:	358 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	1169853
    What cage/pump do you have there? I'm wondering if I can do to my SC, except my cage is underneath the down tube.

I'm thinking I need a smaller pump, maybe Lezyne?

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

It's an arundel sideloader. I would use an arundel dave-o or king cage if it was mounted upsidedown.
    The pump is a Oneup EDC 100cc. It's great in every way. It is the lightest full function setup that doesn't require a bag.

Bikesexual
    It's an arundel sideloader. I would use an arundel dave-o or king cage if it was mounted upsidedown.
    The pump is a Oneup EDC 100cc. It's great in every way. It is the lightest full function setup that doesn't require a bag.
    Sweet Thanks!! My cage is arundel, I'll dig it up.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Never used plugs but thinking of converting. Q.. How efficient are plugs? What if a tire is dry of sealant; does the plug need sealant inside the tire to seal ?

I haven't had to use my plugs yet, but if you tire is dry getting a good seal will be almost impossible. Just keeping air in a dried out tire is problematic.

mtbr member
    They work really well, Iíve used mine maybe three or four times in about as many years (but none recently) and theyíve saved my ride. Well recommended in anyoneís kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post

Edit: I ride with several guys who carry 'tire bacon' or some other kind of plug, plus a tiny bottle of sealant, and a CO2, no tube. I personally can't make plugs work well, 100% user error, so I just carry the tube.
    I also remembered theres a palm-sized piece of plastic milk-jug in that bag too, incase of a catastrophic casing cut. I have personally seen 1 inch+ long rips in tires thanks to sharp AZ rocks.
    I carry a tube, tire bacon, CO2 and a pump, tire boot, stick on tube patches, 2 oz stans bottle, spare valve core, and needle and thread with superglue and rubber cement to sew up a side wall. A I have used all of these techniques on various rides. These are my tire spares and I also have spares for other parts/systems on the bike as well. It may seem like alot, but planned well it does not take up that much space and is idea for backcountry rides where you may never see anyone all day to off help. For short loop races I reduce the kit down to just a few items as I won't be sewing up a tire in a race. This takes too long. Still bring tube, bacon, CO2
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Never used plugs but thinking of converting. Q.. How efficient are plugs? What if a tire is dry of sealant; does the plug need sealant inside the tire to seal ?
    plugs work well to keep your tubeless setup, but are best used with extra stans. I will plug and if needed add more stans to help replace what was lost and what will continue to leak. The purpose of the plug is not to seal the leak, but make the remaining holes small enough for stans to do it job.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think I'll buy a couple or three of those Schwalbe Aerothane lightweight tubes when (if) they ever come out, put one in each of my underseat packs, and forget about them. I have never had a puncture that wouldn't seal with the sealant or that a plug wouldn't fix but one day I might need a inner tube.

mtbr member
    Great thread! I've never really thought about this as I haven't flatted in close to 4 years. I still carry a tube and 3 20 gram inflators. Sometimes I'll get a slow leak from a thorn and am too lazy to add a tube, so I'll just stop and refill.

My worst flats have happened from snapped valve stems. Nothing to do but add the tube. That happened to me twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I haven't had to use my plugs yet, but if you tire is dry getting a good seal will be almost impossible. Just keeping air in a dried out tire is problematic.
    Chazpat reports that there are some out here who utilize butt plugs, but that is nun my bidniz...
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Last weekend I had a sidewall tear and had to use my spare tube... The tire was full of probably 100+cactus needles, good thing I was only a couple miles in to the ride because there is no way I got all the needles out before putting the tube in.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

CEO Product Failure
    I always carry a spare tube. On the trail bike, the tube is attached to the seatpost via homemade rubber bands (I use old tubes, cut to size, slip 2-3 around the seatpost and viola). On the fatty, the tube is wrapped like a burrito and sits in the spare water bottle cage.

yes, the tires are tubeless. Unfortunately, the majority of punctures I get are not repairable with sealant.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Similar here. I carry two inner tubes in my tires and one outer tube strapped to my frame in a protective pouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Nope - not very often. I haven't had a flat or tire failure in ... 4 years? And I ride rocky, rough terrain. I even rode in Vegas last weekend and forgot to bring a spare tube with me to throw on my frame, but rode anyway and luckily was fine. I always tell friends that are new to the sport, tubeless was by-far the best mod I've ever done. I'm always floored how reliable my tires are.

I do strap one to my frame when I do anything big...most times. I've even posted this exact question a while back feeling like I'm getting too cocky about tire problems.

But I have been eyeing that OneUp EDC tool to drop into my frame, then like I said, strap a tube to my frame. Carrying a tube and pump in my pack sucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    Nope - not very often. I haven't had a flat or tire failure in ... 4 years? And I ride rocky, rough terrain. I even rode in Vegas last weekend and forgot to bring a spare tube with me to throw on my frame, but rode anyway and luckily was fine. I always tell friends that are new to the sport, tubeless was by-far the best mod I've ever done. I'm always floored how reliable my tires are.

I do strap one to my frame when I do anything big...most times. I've even posted this exact question a while back feeling like I'm getting too cocky about tire problems.

But I have been eyeing that OneUp EDC tool to drop into my frame, then like I said, strap a tube to my frame. Carrying a tube and pump in my pack sucks.
    This is exactly why I posed the question too, didnít want to appear too cocky by ditching the tube without a a bit of affirmation first I guess!

The EDC is awesome, the tools work well and the package is so neat that Iíd recommend their stuff to anyone.

mtbr member
    Still do, as of now. Might check into that spray stuff.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Inner tubes, do you guys still carry one?

Iím actually really surprised to hear from so many people riding without a spare tube. Everyone I know rides with one (all tubeless; most with protective sidewalls). Our trails are quite rocky. I pinch flatted with 2.35 Ikon EXO (tubeless) twice this summer. Genuine Innovations plug sort of worked on one and Dynaplug failed on the other. Tube saved me.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have the EDC and it is great, but you still need to carry a CO2 head. The EDC CO2 head is the EDC's pump head. Great pump, that can carry 2 cartridges inside, with a bit of padding to prevent rattling.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post

This is what I do also. Knock on wood I've so far never had to put a tube in a tubeless tire on the trail.

gone ridin'...
    I always carry extra tubes. I've been on rides when the tire goes flat within the first mile, and then a buddy has a flat 5 miles in. I used to carry two tubes, but slimmed down to one after I started demanding everyone I ride with carry one. I've had too many rides ruined by a walk back to the car (one time 4 miles back), or a riding buddy who needed my only spare only for ME to end up with a flat. We ride in areas that are prone to sharp shells on the trail, and although rare, the occasional flat does arise.
    2 years to retirement...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just use one of these from MTBStrapOn!

Wrap your Co2, tyre levers etc in the tube itself and then strap it all to the bike! Simple.

Custom colours available, cranking price, well made. There a is a liquid latex used on the inside of the strap too to stop it all from slipping around! What more could you ask?

Strap-on MTB Enduro Strap for Mountainbikers

Find him on Insta and Facebook too.

Inner tubes, do you guys still carry one?-2.jpgInner tubes, do you guys still carry one?-3.jpg
    Inner tubes, do you guys still carry one?-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Yes

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    This thread should have a poll. Something like:

What's a tube?
    I own one for setups
    Maybe at the bottom of my Camelbak
    There's one on the bike
    I carry two spares and a patch kit

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic View Post

FIFY

and the winner is, TOOBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic View Post

What's a tube?
    I own one for setups
    Maybe at the bottom of my Camelbak
    There's one on the bike
    Good idea. If I knew how to do that?! LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Great set up. Does the pump have storage within it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Back when I was a road biker riding on stupidly narrow tires (20 mm was common back in the late '80s) that I used until the casings showed through, I'd sometime flat multiple times per ride. I'd also often do 50+ mile rides, and cell phones didn't exist then, so I definitely had a spare tube or two and a patch kit and casing boots.

On the other hand, I can't remember the last time I flatted on a mountain bike. Maybe never on the trail in the last 20 years. I don't ride in rocky terrain. I haven't lived in CA, where there were goatheads, since 1998. I am also a runner, who would think nothing of running back from the farthest out that I ride these days. I don't go on huge rides any more. So no tubes and no pump for me.

My old seat bag that I haven't used in 20 years still has an old $5 bill that I put in there in the '80s, plus my old CA ID from my teen years when I biked everywhere and delayed getting a driver's license until I was 20. My bike pump is still my old Silca with Campy head from my road bike (also fit on my old mountain bike), but I haven't put it my bike since the early 2000s. I've only been tubeless on my new (used) bike, which I got this past summer, so ditching the tubes came before tubeless for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokee300 View Post
    Great set up. Does the pump have storage within it?
    Yes it does. The tool with dynaplug and storage container all fit inside it. The only other thing I have to carry on my bike is a tube.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Donít usually carry a tube- or a pump- unless itís an adventure ride. Sometimes I forget tools at all. This thread reminds me to check my sealant.
    Most of my rides are within a couple miles of truck/home so walking isnít an issue- but the only flats Iíve had in the last few years were on my commuter due to rim pinch or glass. Wish I could run that one tubeless.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziBen View Post
    Donít usually carry a tube- or a pump- unless itís an adventure ride. Sometimes I forget tools at all. This thread reminds me to check my sealant.
    Most of my rides are within a couple miles of truck/home so walking isnít an issue- but the only flats Iíve had in the last few years were on my commuter due to rim pinch or glass. Wish I could run that one tubeless.

But..but..but, wouldn't you rather ride back those two miles?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That reminds me of a flat I had recently riding the horse trails by my house, I actually had everything but it was getting late, I was about a mile from home, so I walked it.

Down the block this guy w/a bike rack is actually waiting for me to help me out. He comes out and says: "need some help?" "let's fix that tire" lol - I was very thankful but I was almost home.. he goes: "Man, you can't waste time walking, gota ride".

That was really nice of him. I've actually seen him around the neighborhood, I recognize his car/rack.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    with the invent of Backcountry straps, I still carry a spare tube, co2 on my frame and a handpump in my pack. With the invent of Oneup EDC you carry everything on the frame and in the steertube.

mtbr member

Try this:
    https://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...kit-with-bacon

I got it recently, little on a heavish side, but it doesn't cost 50 bucks like some other ones, and comes with spare valve and valve tool build in to the case
    More you beef it up, more it will handle like a cow....

mtbr member
    Just a follow up on this. I didnít ditch tubes but I did upgrade to these uber-light Tubolito tubes which weight a fraction the weight of a standard tube and fit on my frame or in my pack/pocket a lot better, I can highly recommend them!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Just a follow up on this. I didnít ditch tubes but I did upgrade to these uber-light Tubolito tubes which weight a fraction the weight of a standard tube and fit on my frame or in my pack/pocket a lot better, I can highly recommend them!

Have you actually had to use them? I carry a spare tube but was looking at these when I eventually need a new one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    Have you actually had to use them? I carry a spare tube but was looking at these when I eventually need a new one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
    I havenít had to use a spare tube for a few years now and hopefully thatíll continue! I only received these this week, I bought a few for my other bikes too. Worth getting if you can justify the extra cost.

mtbr member
    I strap cheap tubes under my seat with an awesome strap without protection but I think I'd be putting some sort of sock over a $30 tube.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I strap cheap tubes under my seat with an awesome strap without protection but I think I'd be putting some sort of sock over a $30 tube.
    I wrap my tube in a nitrile glove. Get your minds out of the gutter
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I was considering using cling film myself!

Rabid Lana fan
    The last time I had to use a tube trail-side was six months ago to make my wife a makeshift splint for her broken ankle, so she could hike out.

Glad I had it.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

No known cure
    I once double flatted a mile into the Ashland 12 Mile Enduro course while on a preride. I had been dropped off, had no cellphone, and walked the 11 miles back to town. So yes, I carry two in the pack.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Damn right I carry a tube. I donít get this trend of carrying as little as possible on a ride. I need piece of mind knowing I can keep riding if I have simple mechanical problems.

Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

Upcyclist
    I carry three tubes; one in my pack and two inside my outer tubes.
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    yes always a pair.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Question: if you carry a pump and tube, why also carry C02? I understand it's faster, but aside from that? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by itsky View Post
    Question: if you carry a pump and tube, why also carry C02? I understand it's faster, but aside from that? Thanks
    I carry all of the above. Pump and tube are both backups to backups for me though. All situation dependant, but in general, first pour in the 2oz of stans i've got with me to see if that seals it up. reinflate (pump, because im cheap and co2 aint.) Maybe need to re-seat a bead and the pump isn't cutting it? Burn up a co2 cartridge. Still no go, then its time to clean out the inside of the tire and scrape the inside down with tire lever (trying to get rid of all the pointy bits that have poked through and previously mitigated by sealant) and slap in the tube. reinflate... probably with 2nd co2 just because by that stage im annoyed and impatient.

But yeah, for me co2 is mainly for either bead issues, or extreme cases of lazy-bastard.

mtbr member
    I carry Co2 just incase I need to reseat the tyre. Iíve got to say though, the One Up Components EDC hand pump is fantastic and works really well. It has a Co2 head on it too as well as being able to carry a cartridge and a Dynaplug pill inside of it.

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's a good question. Usually on the trail it takes a little longer to change a tube so let's say 10-15 minutes, sometimes 20. Walking out 2 miles = 40 minutes. Changing tube, then riding out 2 miles = 30-40 minutes. Almost the same. So under 2 miles walk it, over 2 miles it's worth taking time to change (or put in) the tube.

And yes I have a light 26" tube, & about 6 lbs of other tools and stuff crammed into one of those front handlebar packs that I use as a back sling. I don't like to put it on the handlebars, the velcro shifting & swinging is really annoying.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

Bikesexual
    I had a flat yesterday on the road bike, walked the 1.5miles home.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    That's a good question. Usually on the trail it takes a little longer to change a tube so let's say 10-15 minutes, sometimes 20. Walking out 2 miles = 40 minutes. Changing tube, then riding out 2 miles = 30-40 minutes. Almost the same. So under 2 miles walk it, over 2 miles it's worth taking time to change (or put in) the tube.

And yes I have a light 26" tube, & about 6 lbs of other tools and stuff crammed into one of those front handlebar packs that I use as a back sling. I don't like to put it on the handlebars, the velcro shifting & swinging is really annoying.
    It only takes a few minutes to throw a tube in and be on your way. No way 20

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post

You'll have to fix the tube anyway, takes no longer on the trail then at home.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I do carry a tube.
    I've been tubeless for 5 years, and had my 1st flat this season. it was a catastrophic one and HAD to use the tube. Problem... I hadn't checked the tube in a couple years and it also had a puncture around the valve. Assuming storage in my pack added pressure on the valve. Walked out of the bush for an hour.
    Moral of the story, check your tubes before a ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    When are those Schalbe Aerothane tubes going to be released? They seem to have vanished.