Improving balance - rocker board/balance board?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2005

Improving balance - rocker board/balance board?

Been mtn biking for around 5 years, but I have poor balance in general and am considering getting a rocker board and/or balance board. Anyone have any experience/comments on how these might improve mtn biking balance? I also snowboard and rollerblade and have generally poor balance on those as well....takes me much longer than others to develop balance-wise.

other ideas?

thanx!

Mar 2004
    P.M. me if you find anything that works, okay?

crashes in parkinglot

Track stands

check here:
    http://www.trials-online.com/techniques-balancing.php

look at some of the videos too, this one is most appropriate(sp?)
    http://www.trials-online.com/video/trackstand.mov

good thing about practicing track stands is that you can do it before,during, and after rides. The more time you spends playing on your bike the better.

There's no app for this.

yes

used a circular balance board for about a year -10 minutes a day faithfully. It helped my core strangth a lot, it was not a chore to do. I can say it didn't seem to help balance at all. I wish I could. Jim

mtbr member
    Yeh I think it should help you a lot. I'm also personally looking for one,'cause as Jim said it also improves core strength which is key. Should help getting those muscles you need for good balance in you inline skating and snow boarding, do't know how it would effect your biking - if your balanace is really sucky then I'm pretty sure it should help some. Try practicing the track stands, it's hard if you're balance is bad but a worth while thing to do and you will see rewards on the trail. Also just try balancing on 1 leg with your eyes closed - it's damn hard and if you work at it you should get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by soopster
    Been mtn biking for around 5 years, but I have poor balance in general and am considering getting a rocker board and/or balance board. Anyone have any experience/comments on how these might improve mtn biking balance? I also snowboard and rollerblade and have generally poor balance on those as well....takes me much longer than others to develop balance-wise.

other ideas?

thanx!
    The poor balance sounds familiar, but I've made progress by working on track stands, riding skinny stuff, basic drop offs and small launches. Create or find something that's common a trail feature and practice it until it's an easily repeatable process.

If you want to spend get a section of 6x6 wood to arrange in your driveway or yard, and a launch ramp.

http://www.epinions.com/Hedstrom_Cor...unch_Ramp_Toys

A friend and I each have the one pictured above. It's holding up to his 200+ pounds and 40+ pound bike.

Complete Bastard
    If you ride some rollers, your bike balance will increase quite a bit. You'll be a lot smoother in general and more fluid on the bike as well. Nashbar has a cheap set that are pretty good for the money, that's what I use. Riding them no handed is fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mward
    If you ride some rollers, your bike balance will increase quite a bit. You'll be a lot smoother in general and more fluid on the bike as well. Nashbar has a cheap set that are pretty good for the money, that's what I use. Riding them no handed is fun.
    Oh now come on you really want to kill him MWard is very right here, those rollers take a load of balance - if you use them you will improve or fall off them a lot till you do. I'd like to use rollers, but unfortunately I don't have 2 sets of wheels yet and it's a PITA to keep switching between road and off-road tires just to use the rollers - have to use slicks/semi-slicks on the rollers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Complete Bastard
    I've ridden rollers with knobbies. Not fun, not quiet. Switching to slicks is a good idea. I ride my fixie on them a lot now, I find it makes it even more interesting.

Aug 2004
    Holy crap those rollers look ridiculous! This is coming from a kid who can't ride no handed yet.

BAD balance here!

Complete Bastard
    It's not bad. If you can ride on a sidewalk you can ride rollers. Half of it is mental. We normally weave all over the place riding, when you're on the rollers it's just VERY APPARENT that this happens, and it'll freak you out at first. You get over it pretty quick. Rollers will definitely help your balance and bikehandling skills. They may look ridiculous but give them a shot, you'll be amazed. (And really bored, I find nothing so boring as rollers or trainers. blech)