Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,942

    Improve endurance for asthmatic riders

    How do you improve endurance for long ride if you have asthma?

    Do use epi pen before ride?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,697
    Chris Froome relies on Salbumatol.
    Do the math.

  3. #3
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,367
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    How do you improve endurance for long ride if you have asthma?

    Do use epi pen before ride?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    What kind of asthma to do suffer from? Athletic trigger, allergy, etc? I suffer from athletic and allergy trigger and I try to stay away from fast acting inhalers instead choosing to start riding slowly until my lungs get up to operating temperature. I always carry a fast acting inhaler and in times of allergy season I use a long term inhaler. I also trigger with cool temperatures so I wear something over my mouth when the temps drop below a certain threshold.

    I am now avoiding salbumatol because the TUE process seems like too much work and I have to win the Giro, Vuelta and the TdF this year with less controversy.

    CF
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    How do you improve endurance for long ride if you have asthma?

    Do use epi pen before ride?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Here’s a thought:

    Ask your doctor.

    Asthma comes in different flavors.

    My allergy-induced, seasonal asthma is controlled by Singulair and the occasional hit of Proair on really bad days.

    YMMV

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SingleSpeedSteven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    Here’s a thought:

    Ask your doctor.

    Asthma comes in different flavors.

    My allergy-induced, seasonal asthma is controlled by Singulair and the occasional hit of Proair on really bad days.

    YMMV
    The internet is the same thing as the doctor. Trust me, I know that I am currently dying with 4 different kinds of cancer and have a couple incurable autoimmune diseases thanks to WebMD.

  6. #6
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,625
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    The internet is the same thing as the doctor. Trust me, I know that I am currently dying with 4 different kinds of cancer and have a couple incurable autoimmune diseases thanks to WebMD.
    WD40 and duct tape. Trust me.
    What's wrong with him??

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    My doctor must be a moron. I asked him questions but he deflect it. He gave me a inhaler but it doesn't help me at all

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,625
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    My doctor must be a moron. I asked him questions but he deflect it. He gave me a inhaler but it doesn't help me at all

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Gee, and I thought Canadian health care was perfect.
    What's wrong with him??

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Gee, and I thought Canadian health care was perfect.
    Canadian Healthcare is great but people are fallible just like doctors

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,284
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    Canadian Healthcare is great but people are fallible just like doctors
    You may want a doctor with experience in sports med and/or a respiratory clinic to bounce ideas off of. As a biker you could be a valuable research subject for a uni clinic.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ravewoofer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    395
    Ask Chris Froome. He’s not a doper, he just has asthma endurance problems like you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,625
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    Canadian Healthcare is great but people are fallible just like doctors

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Huh?
    What's wrong with him??

  13. #13
    Make America Bike Again
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    How do you improve endurance for long ride if you have asthma?

    Do use epi pen before ride?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

    Picard, jeez, I'm glad I saw this thread. DO NOT use an epi-pen before your ride!!! Epi-pen is for a life-or-death situation, like that heroin overdose girl in Pulp Fiction. You don't just 'use' an epi-pen for exercising. You can try a normal albuterol inhaler, and if you have asthma daily then you ask your doctor for a steroid inhaler and try to limit the albuterol, because you can get a tolerance to it, and you do not want that. If you used an Epi-pen your blood pressure would go up a lot and you really don't want to ride with heart palpitations, not a good idea.

    Also try megadosing on vitamin C and omega-3, they are both antiinflammatory.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: telemike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    661
    A serious response.

    I begin rides when I'm feeling a bit asthmatic by taking 4 - 6 puffs on the albuterol inhaler. Sometimes I wait until I begin to cough (my primary asthma symptom) to use the rescue inhaler and it makes me cough violently, but then helps a lot. I've had other riders stop to see if I'm dying so I try to use it when I'm alone - the coughing is very disturbing and I don't especially like it either. But, I don't like the asthma much either.

    When I'm feeling a bit asthmatic I begin riding by walking almost all the hills. For instance, I often walk from the Rockville hills lot to the upper area where the trails are. Stinks, but helps the days riding. Riding helps open my lungs so I ride better after a few miles. Sucks, but works. Riding so hard that I gasp for breath builds up lactic acid in my legs so I can't ride anywhere near as far or as fast.

    I pay attention to triggers. That means no riding when there is smoke or nasty pollution in the air. I also wear too much clothing when the air is cold and damp as it often is in the bay area. Others with allergy induced asthma may have to not ride during high pollen seasons.

    I also try to regularly "pack" my lungs with as much air as I can inhale and gulp down, then relax and let the air expand my lungs. I don't do it driving to the trails anymore however because it can make me cough violently if I have asthma crap in my lungs. Do it at home before you leave. For a while, I did it each evening in front of the TV but the occasional violent coughing really disturbed my wife so I do it out in the orchard or in my shop.

    Asthma sucks but we can either learn to deal with it or give up. Giving up on riding, skiing, hiking, etc just isn't my style.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

  15. #15
    Give'er!
    Reputation: MCHB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    496
    Advair 250 once a day and regular exercise basically killed my asthma.

    It's messed up the difference that it made, honestly. I went from burning through the blue inhalers to needing them maybe once or twice a year.

  16. #16
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,093
    I somehow let out to my doctor that I get some exercise-induced asthma after very hard aerobic exercising (like a race). I think this is somewhat common. I was mis-diagnosed as a child and I'm pretty sure I've never really had any asthma, I played musical instruments and did all kinds of aerobic stuff. Never had any problems breathing or any "attacks". Always maxed out volume tests. After the hard exercise I cough up some fluid/crap, but it goes away in a few hours. My doctor also does some long distance riding and gave me a trial Advair steroid inhaler to try and see if it helps out on the recovery. I can't say it helps, I notice no difference between when I use it and when I do not. But these can and do help people. My Dad has a lot of bad asthma and they have him on some powerful steroids that clear him up pretty well. There are definitely different levels of medicine and treatment that can be tried.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  17. #17
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,625
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    How do you improve endurance for long ride if you have asthma?

    Do use epi pen before ride?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Name:  iamdisappoint-newthumb.png
Views: 169
Size:  15.4 KB
    What's wrong with him??

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    How long does the inhaler take effect? 20 minutes?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    How long does the inhaler take effect? 20 minutes?

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    They work right away, and that should be the end of your attack.

    If you get another attack right away, that's an issue. Edit - you might have to use it twice, but it should go away after two uses or something isn't right.

    It sounds like you need to get in a better discussion with your doctor. I use Advair and Proair (albuterol). They work great together if everything is working properly.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    616
    Knew the Froome jokes wouldn't be far away when I saw the thread title.
    It would appear asthma is almost a prerequisite for pro level road cycling!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbrossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,385
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Asthma sucks but we can either learn to deal with it or give up. Giving up on riding, skiing, hiking, etc just isn't my style.
    This ^^^
    I have severe asthma and am treated at National Jewish Health in Denver, the top respiratory hospitals in the nation (#2 in RA, which I also have).
    On a few different maintenance inhalers and Singular, and Provental before any endurance activity. I was on Nucala for awhile, but made a financial decision to discontinue during this insurance year.
    The doctor, who I trust completely, tells me my activity level is the best thing I do to combat the disease.

    Riding at elevation in Durango is not easy, but I warm up slowly, for about 30 minutes, before I feel like I'm really ready to ride. I even ride a SS, which really works me; It is geared pretty easily though, 32-22.

    I sort of feel like my lungs are just another muscle that has to be stressed to get stronger, so I feel my best when I am doing P90X regularly as well. (It works well for me because it has an aerobic aspect with the pace).
    I try to keep my weight down as well, for obvious reasons. Even helps with the RA. Fortunately, I tend to run skinny, genetics on my side.
    To rephrase Telemike's statement above from one of my favorite movies, "Never give up, never surrender!"

    (Not ridden in weeks because of the local fire, and feel pretty crappy most of the time. Doing what I can)
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

  22. #22
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I somehow let out to my doctor that I get some exercise-induced asthma after very hard aerobic exercising (like a race). I think this is somewhat common. I was mis-diagnosed as a child and I'm pretty sure I've never really had any asthma, I played musical instruments and did all kinds of aerobic stuff. Never had any problems breathing or any "attacks". Always maxed out volume tests. After the hard exercise I cough up some fluid/crap, but it goes away in a few hours. My doctor also does some long distance riding and gave me a trial Advair steroid inhaler to try and see if it helps out on the recovery. I can't say it helps, I notice no difference between when I use it and when I do not. But these can and do help people. My Dad has a lot of bad asthma and they have him on some powerful steroids that clear him up pretty well. There are definitely different levels of medicine and treatment that can be tried.
    I was "diagnosed" with exercise-induced asthma as a child. I bounced around between a couple different inhalers and nothing really improved things much for me. Never had a legit attack. Looking back on it, I think my misdiagnosis was related to a few things. First, my doctor was just a regular pediatrician and not a respiratory specialist. Second, I am pretty sure my lungs were ****ed from growing up in a smoking household because that had larger ramifications for me later in life, too. Sure, I had lung troubles. But not actually asthma.

    The upper end of my physical output is probably still limited in some ways by this. But mostly it doesn't bother me specifically anymore. It really doesn't take a whole lot for me to notice improvements in my respiratory fitness, and I don't have to limit myself the way many folks in here have described they need to in order to manage their asthma when riding.

    I'd suggest that if you're not happy with how your GP treats you, then you should either find another GP, or find a respiratory specialist.

    I dealt with similar doctor limitations during my cancer recovery. My first oncologist was a great doctor and I owe my survival to him, but when it came to my desire to work on some strength/fitness recovery, he really didn't understand. I switched doctors a few years later due to a move to a new state, and my oncologist happened to be a cyclist (both road and mtn) and he TOTALLY got it. He did a bit more checking into my heart/lungs to ensure that neither the cancer nor the treatment caused damage that would give me problems during high levels of exertion (I was getting ready to train for my first road century and wanted a full clean bill of health) and when my heart started to do some funny things, he ordered even more detailed tests to double-check what was going on.

    Most doctors deal with patients who are overweight and lazy these days and they just have a hard time relating to people who want to be active and fit. It really is worthwhile to have doctors who get it and can help you manage any condition(s) you have alongside being active. Managing many conditions for active people is going to be different than for sedentary people.

  23. #23
    Make America Bike Again
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I was "diagnosed" with exercise-induced asthma as a child. I bounced around between a couple different inhalers and nothing really improved things much for me. Never had a legit attack. Looking back on it, I think my misdiagnosis was related to a few things. First, my doctor was just a regular pediatrician and not a respiratory specialist. Second, I am pretty sure my lungs were ****ed from growing up in a smoking household because that had larger ramifications for me later in life, too. Sure, I had lung troubles. But not actually asthma.

    The upper end of my physical output is probably still limited in some ways by this. But mostly it doesn't bother me specifically anymore. It really doesn't take a whole lot for me to notice improvements in my respiratory fitness, and I don't have to limit myself the way many folks in here have described they need to in order to manage their asthma when riding.

    I'd suggest that if you're not happy with how your GP treats you, then you should either find another GP, or find a respiratory specialist.

    I dealt with similar doctor limitations during my cancer recovery. My first oncologist was a great doctor and I owe my survival to him, but when it came to my desire to work on some strength/fitness recovery, he really didn't understand. I switched doctors a few years later due to a move to a new state, and my oncologist happened to be a cyclist (both road and mtn) and he TOTALLY got it. He did a bit more checking into my heart/lungs to ensure that neither the cancer nor the treatment caused damage that would give me problems during high levels of exertion (I was getting ready to train for my first road century and wanted a full clean bill of health) and when my heart started to do some funny things, he ordered even more detailed tests to double-check what was going on.

    Most doctors deal with patients who are overweight and lazy these days and they just have a hard time relating to people who want to be active and fit. It really is worthwhile to have doctors who get it and can help you manage any condition(s) you have alongside being active. Managing many conditions for active people is going to be different than for sedentary people.

    What kind of cancer? A lot of people in NY seem to get that, it's horrible. The tri-state area with the older industrial pollution still in the ecosystem I'm sure is a major cause.

    What funny things were your heart doing? Because I was going to recommend Ephedrine for riding, even though I personally have not had to need it for that. I usually take it just for hay fever, because I hate antihistamines. Ephedrine should provide a pretty good boost to lung function and pulmonary function, but if someone has heart disease then it's not a good drug to use (it's over the counter with a driver's license, directly from the pharmacist, as in it's not a prescription but not on the shelf either). It's going to raise blood pressure but if your pressure is normal resting, it should be OK for riding. Albuterol should be fine before a ride too, again I don't really need to do that right now, but Picard should probably do that before a ride.

    You guys, be very, very careful about stuff like Breo and Advair, which have a mix of an albuterol analog and a steroid. It's not the steroid that's the problem, it's that two doses of the albuterol in these preparations are the equivalent of EIGHT doses of albuterol by itself. That can cause drug tolerance, and then when you need the albuterol the most it won't work and you die. I'm not exaggerating, more people die FROM asthma medication than die without any treatment. Look it up. Just take albuterol as needed, NOT every day, and if you have to, take the steroid daily BY ITSELF (QVAR). Advair and Breo have made billions in revenue. They have also killed thousands of people. Again the steroid is not the problem, you may think it is, but it's the beta-agonist that's the problem. You don't get a tolerance to the steroid, so it's the good guy in the mixture.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

  24. #24
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,974
    I had acute myeloid leukemia. About 90% certain because of secondhand smoke exposure growing up combined with my body's immune system freaking out when I got the flu for the first time.

    As for my heart, it was just my HR being significantly higher than pretty much all of the age calculations suggest it should be. At 37, I can max at 205 for really gnarly efforts, and almost every ride will have some period where I max above 190 even when I am not putting out max effort.

    Because I had chemo, my doc just wanted to make sure I didn't have damage to my heart somewhere, so I had an echo done. I checked out fine and the cardiologist concluded that I am just one of the few people at the upper end of the bell curve for "max HR at a given age" so back to business as normal. Today, for example, I did a group ride that was a fairly mellow pace, but included a climb I like to do somewhat regularly to measure my improvement. I clean more every time between spots I need to take a break, but I wasn't really pushing the pace hard today, either. I still maxed my HR at 195 despite that fairly relaxed atmosphere/pace.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Harold; 06-17-2018 at 12:29 PM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JLDickmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    77
    I'd say your best bet is have your family Dr refer you to a respiratory specialist.
    "..don't go ninja'n nuthin' what don't need ninja'n!"

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: telemike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    661
    Harold's statement about doctors seeing mostly pretty soft out of shape folks hits the spot. When I first went to the ER and the hospital and found out I had adult onset asthma, the tables gave me a target peak flow of about 540 l/sec which meant I wasn't doing bad at 450 l/sec. Then, when the first round of asthma cleared up (with the help of prednisone, the wonder drug from hell), I regularly blew about 800 l/sec like a young athlete. The general population figures don't work well for us active folks so I just go by how I feel nowadays.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

  27. #27
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,625
    You feel real good about wasting all these folks' time, Ritard?
    What's wrong with him??

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,942
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    You feel real good about wasting all these folks' time, Ritard?
    Yes moron

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,072
    only smoke after a ride, not before
    always mad and usually drunk......

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-03-2016, 01:45 PM
  2. Endurance Riders...
    By wsc24 in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 08:24 AM
  3. Endurance Riders Wanted for Adventure Racing - SF BAY area
    By julien AR in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 09:05 PM
  4. How to improve my helmet cam shots?
    By tcapri87 in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 06:12 PM
  5. Help me improve my bike...
    By 14Stone in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 05:14 AM

Members who have read this thread: 17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.