If you had only two bikes...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

If you had only two bikes...

So basically I want to keep a two bike quiver. I ride park, send huge jumps and double blacks at speed, and also ride regular trails and put down 30 miles. My question is purely for discussion because I know it's a personal decision but...should I have short travel bike (100-120) and a big ol enduro bike (170-180) or a mid travel (140-150) and a dh bike? I'm kind of leaning to the latter because I normally just suffer through pedaling a heavy bike around. I currently have a ripmo af and i could just add a dh bike but im open to getting something like a mega tower and a trance. Idk. Just keep changing my mind. Tell me I'm dumb and should ride a single speed hardtail.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I want to get to a 2 bike setup but currently only have an aggressive hardtail. I think the perfect setup would be a megatower and tallboy. I am a santa cruz fanboy though but i guess i would go with your first choice. A 120mm and a 160mm bike

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    2019 salsa timberjack

mtbr member
    I've been riding all my life and never owned more than two bikes. I don't see why this is a big deal. First world problems.

mtbr member
    I run 4 steeds in my fleet 👍

N+1 🤘

Sent from MTBR.apk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mountain bike & road bike. Pick your favorite of each.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I'll probably never ride road. It's too scary haha. I'll hit a 45 ft jump but riding down the road with cars terrifies me.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickyface View Post
    I'll probably never ride road. It's too scary haha. I'll hit a 45 ft jump but riding down the road with cars terrifies me.

You sound like a tool. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shartacular Spectacular
    DH bike + aggressive trail / light enduro = bases covered
    The 18 SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

No known cure
    Desribe "park". We have three in the immediate area. Three are good for whatever they call a trail bike these days (140/150). The other you'll be in the way on most trails.

I'm on a 140/150 and a hardtail SS.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post

Really? Dang. Sorry for being afraid of something?

Big Mac
    Really? Dang. Sorry for being afraid of something?

Braggadocio, bro.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Desribe "park". We have three in the immediate area. Three are good for whatever they call a trail bike these days (140/150). The other you'll be in the way on most trails.

Jump lines, technical trails, all trails available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Braggadocio, bro.

If anything I thought it was props to roadies. Shot is crazy taking turns at 50mph with cars.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post

Them numbers dont add up.

All fat, all the time.

Wtf, that was uncalled for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mbtr member
    I have a bunch of bikes, but i only ride 3-

SS commuter
    Gravel thingie
    looooong 150mm 29er hardtail with 2ply tires

I know the quiver implies i'm an XC rider, but that's not the case. The 29er hardtail is a fkn beast. It rendered my modern-ish fancy 160mm 650b FS bike obsolete. It's more fun and adequately safe and comfortable. And just as fast. I've kept the FS bike because i keep imagining a situation where i'll want it. Hasn't happened.

Similarly, the gravel thingie has made my road bike redundant. Why not give up 10 seconds on a climb when i can regain them on the descent?? Also it lets me make routes where i don't have to climb next to cars.

The commuter is an appliance. I like it, ride it daily, but it's not generally interesting.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Wtf, that was uncalled for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I agree. Pretty hostile.
    The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

George Orwell

Wanna ride bikes?
    Only two?!

I've been thinking about this for 5 minutes and decided this is a terrible question.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Only two?!

I've been thinking about this for 5 minutes and decided this is a terrible question.
    ^^This...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    If you have a Ripmo, just add a DH bike...then a rigid SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Me too...which would lately be a D/C trail mtb and a road-like gravel bike. Though I'm not currently limited to two.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    I agree on the Tallboy/Megatower choice. I rode lots of SC bikes last season and of all the new ones, felt the Tallboy would work for me. The Megatower was too much bike for my style but it might well be what fits the Enduro slot.

No known cure
    Them numbers dont add up.

I saw that. We have four bike parks in 25 mile radius. Skypark, Snow Valley, Rim Nordic and Snow Summit. Two are lift accessed at ski resorts.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Pretty hostile.
    Sorry, honey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Sorry, honey.

Damn what is wrong with you. People nowadays

2019 salsa timberjack

mtbr member
    How much of your "park" riding requires pedalling? Would a bike like a Yeti SB165 or Knolly Delirium with a burly fork on it open up more areas for park riding by being able to climb a bit, or would the reduction in travel and not-quite-true-DH-bike solidness hold you back more frequently?

The trail/enduro bike could be anything 120-150mm, way too many options there without knowing more about your terrain and riding style preferences. Good news is you'll probably be pretty happy with what you pick, there's loads of great bikes that cover those bases pretty well.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by ral1121 View Post
    Damn what is wrong with you. People nowadays

Lol. Do I know you?

Rippin da fAt
    Only two?!

30 seconds on this one and cannot comply!
    I'll just break that fvcked up rule every minute of every day cause I refuse to give up any of my three plussers or the Mayor.

Pfft! Whyya hafta be like that?
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Only two?!

I have enough trouble trying to justify more then one bike to my wife let alone a 4k-5k purchase. If it was not for her i would probably already have 3 bikes. A hardtail, 120mm, and 160mm enduro but as of right now i am stuck with just a hardtail.

2019 salsa timberjack

poser Administrator
    I want to get to a 2 bike setup but currently only have an aggressive hardtail. I think the perfect setup would be a megatower and tallboy. I am a santa cruz fanboy though but i guess i would go with your first choice. A 120mm and a 160mm bike

I agree with this. A big suspension bike and an aggressive hardtail.

I would go with something like a doctahawk, or a Norco Torrent and something dual sproing and fun.

Though I should talk as I have nothing with suspension so this is wet dream territory for me.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    How much of your "park" riding requires pedalling? Would a bike like a Yeti SB165 or Knolly Delirium with a burly fork on it open up more areas for park riding by being able to climb a bit, or would the reduction in travel and not-quite-true-DH-bike solidness hold you back more frequently?

The trail/enduro bike could be anything 120-150mm, way too many options there without knowing more about your terrain and riding style preferences. Good news is you'll probably be pretty happy with what you pick, there's loads of great bikes that cover those bases pretty well.
    I'm in utah near salt lake. I have a pedal only bike park near me with up 60ft jumps which I visit the most, trails that are normal blues and blacks that require climbing mountains, and lift assist where I dont care about climbing at all....which is my favorite because... laps. I've taken the ripmo through moab all over, including mag 7 ( which is a looooot) but I love park riding and jumping. My ripmo af with cushcore and assegais weighs like 35 lbs. I really dont care pedaling it around but I imagine a 29lb short travel bike would feel nice lol. Theres a decent deal on a megatower near me to add fuel to the fire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I have enough trouble trying to justify more then one bike to my wife let alone a 4k-5k purchase. If it was not for her i would probably already have 3 bikes. A hardtail, 120mm, and 160mm enduro but as of right now i am stuck with just a hardtail.

I was in the place about two year ago. It only makes you better riding a hardtail on trails people ride with enduro bikes and when you finally upgrade you can rip so hard.

Wanna ride bikes?
    My comment has received a few replies. I don't want to deviate from the OP's conversation, and he's gotten some solid feedback, but I was being genuine.

My lifestyle and riding requires a variety of bikes. I ride in the winter, need a fatbike. If I could only have one MTB it would be a SS 29er hardtail, but that would seriously restrict my summer trail riding (my main source of MTB fun) in certain scenarios. I also need a SS cross bike/commuter.

I'd have two wheelsets for the fatbike, 29+ in the summer. The cross bike would also have two wheelsets, one with "fat" slicks and one with knobs. The SS 29er would need a geared drivetrain for many rides.

There's more to it than that but it would be a royal hassle to constantly add and remove drivetrains and wheelsets on multiple bikes.

For me 4-5 would be my minimum, but frankly I'm really glad I have all the bikes I do. I ride them all and they all have their place. I ride year round and take trips to other locations that have different terrain than what I have locally, more fun with a full suspension bike. I also love racing and have a couple bikes that are better suited to that, though most are built for fun first and foremost.

I could get by with two bikes if it was the apocalypse and I didn't need to ride in the snow. Other than that, it's impossible to choose. There's so many tradeoffs. Annoyingly difficult question for me.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    DH for sure. Short or medium travel is just a matter of what floats your boat. If I only had two it would be dh and a long forked hardtail. I also own a 160/170 bike that I can trail ride with or go to the parks with in case one of the other two is broken or needs a brake bleed etc. One is mail order, one was bought used 6mo old and the hardtail I built up relatively cheap over a couple months.
    I like bikes

Formerly of Kent
    My ideal fleet would be:

1) Road/gravel
    2) SS
    3) Modern XC
    4) Long travel bike with big, slow, sticky tires

The problem with #4 is that Id likely only use it in lift served areas. Just makes climbing too miserable, unless Im on a slow, mixed ability group ride and flat out dont care about climbing well. As it stands right now, if I go to Moab or some place that might beat me up on a long ride, I can throw the DPX2 on my Sniper.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I was in the place about two year ago. It only makes you better riding a hardtail on trails people ride with enduro bikes and when you finally upgrade you can rip so hard.

Yeah i have thought of that. What stinks is i am going to have to wait a while to get a full suspension as my wife decided to change careers and go back to school to become a chemical engineer. I guess i can wait a little while and when she is done get a nicer bike with better components them what i was originally willing to spend. We are somewhat stingy when spending money. Maybe i will just keep at 2 bike quiver and have an aggressive hardtail and a mid travel bike somewhere in the 140 to 150mm range.

2019 salsa timberjack

Up In Smoke
    XC hardtail and a cyclocross bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Dang man, that's hardcore.

mbtr member
    He said 2 bikes.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Rippin da fAt

There has to be a weakness on her part that can be used in the justification of another bike or three...

My God, if I couldn't have my ss +, geared + along with the full squish + there would be madness! Those three are seeing the odometer change more than the rest of my collection.
    Doctor recommended...

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    He said 2 bikes.
    Should I trade one in for a dumbed down motorbike?

Rider
    DW link 140-160mm bike built with lighter components, downhill bike.

mtbr member
    Dang man, that's hardcore.
    that's all I have ever really owned. I don't see what the big deal is. I'm not "hardcore." perhaps, just maybe, we've gotten soft. *ducks for cover*

Rippin da fAt
    He said 2 bikes.
    He mighta said two, I said more the merrier, I say! More, more more!!
    Doctor recommended...

Duck Fonald
    Lol. Do I know you?

So four people in the thread are wondering wtf your problem is. Care to share?
    The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

George Orwell

Rippin da fAt
    Has to do with Mommy's basement and snow...
    Doctor recommended...

Up In Smoke
    A lot of times I wonder why I even have more than one bike...

mtbr member
    No one else has, so I will...
    You're dumb and should ride a singlespeed hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    No one else has, so I will...
    You're dumb and should ride a singlespeed hardtail.
    Lol i have actually thought about going single speed once i get my full squish. Especially if I end up woth a 120mm and a enduro

2019 salsa timberjack

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

If you had only two bikes...

It depends on where one rides. For me a XC hardtail and a Cyclocross/Gravel bike cover all my needs.
    We do not have DH parks here or anything that requires any other bike.
    Do I want more bikes? Yes, a rigid singlespeed bike.
    Last edited by j102; 06-01-2020 at 04:57 AM.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I would focus buying a bike on the terrain I frequent the most. You make it sound like it's the bike park with 60 feet jumps. If that's your norm then get a bike for that. That's out of my area of expertise.

Then get a pedal friendly bike for your 30 mile routes so you can keep your fitness. That could be anything from a hardtail to a nice pedaling trail bike. Once you narrow that down, post again. Keep it simple Sam.

I had two bikes for about a decade. They were a road bike and 29er hardtail.

Keep on Rockin...

Good question....

So basically I want to keep a two bike quiver. I ride park, send huge jumps and double blacks at speed, and also ride regular trails and put down 30 miles. My question is purely for discussion because I know it's a personal decision but...should I have short travel bike (100-120) and a big ol enduro bike (170-180) or a mid travel (140-150) and a dh bike? I'm kind of leaning to the latter because I normally just suffer through pedaling a heavy bike around. I currently have a ripmo af and i could just add a dh bike but im open to getting something like a mega tower and a trance. Idk. Just keep changing my mind. Tell me I'm dumb and should ride a single speed hardtail.

I've thought a lot about this myself, but find I could only whittle down to 1 dh rig and 2 trail bikes. With one trail bike being more AM, the other more trail-xc.

But if I had to pick...

Full bore DH rig. I like dancing with the trail on my "trail bike" but I like to use my DH rig like I'm in a fight with the mountain. IMO only a full on DH rig with a full on DH wheelset can take that with the frequency that I like to ride DH. By the time you are on a full DH wheelset with DH tires and inserts you're committed. I don't think you are saving much by going with a single crown fork and enduro frame. But when I DH I get bored with the jump lines pretty quick. Tangling with old school gnar is where I spend my time. So many more lines and things to fight with.

Pedally bike. My two trail bikes are a Trance 29 and a burly Knolly. I probably have more fun on the Knolly, but the Trance is more versatile and a better "all-rounder". With lighter tires I can do a real xc ride, fast, all day. With bigger rubber on the hoops I can hit 95% of what I do on the Knolly. That said, the Knolly is probably the best single bike I ever had. If I could only have one bike overall, I'd keep the Knolly.

While I spend almost my entire summer on the DH bike, the Spring and Fall gets a lot of use by the trail bikes. Too often one of the two is in the stand being tuned or repaired. I find it nerve racking when my only available bike is under repair. I've got to then resort to my slush bike, on the road - my old Surly Crosscheck. But like you said....

Road biking is much more scary. Mini-vans piloted by harried, texting moms are way deadly than stationary rocks and trees.

Big Mac
    Share what, little buddy? You upset?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I've thought a lot about this myself, but find I could only whittle down to 1 dh rig and 2 trail bikes. With one trail bike being more AM, the other more trail-xc.

But if I had to pick...

Full bore DH rig. I like dancing with the trail on my "trail bike" but I like to use my DH rig like I'm in a fight with the mountain. IMO only a full on DH rig with a full on DH wheelset can take that with the frequency that I like to ride DH. By the time you are on a full DH wheelset with DH tires and inserts you're committed. I don't think you are saving much by going with a single crown fork and enduro frame. But when I DH I get bored with the jump lines pretty quick. Tangling with old school gnar is where I spend my time. So many more lines and things to fight with.

Pedally bike. My two trail bikes are a Trance 29 and a burly Knolly. I probably have more fun on the Knolly, but the Trance is more versatile and a better "all-rounder". With lighter tires I can do a real xc ride, fast, all day. With bigger rubber on the hoops I can hit 95% of what I do on the Knolly. That said, the Knolly is probably the best single bike I ever had. If I could only have one bike overall, I'd keep the Knolly.

While I spend almost my entire summer on the DH bike, the Spring and Fall gets a lot of use by the trail bikes. Too often one of the two is in the stand being tuned or repaired. I find it nerve racking when my only available bike is under repair. I've got to then resort to my slush bike, on the road - my old Surly Crosscheck. But like you said....

Road biking is much more scary. Mini-vans piloted by harried, texting moms are way deadly than stationary rocks and trees.
    This is the dream for me but...I can only swing one extra bike at the moment. I am thinking I'll keep the ripmo af and get a used dh bike to punish. Maybe if the economy gets "stimulated" again I'll consider swapping both.

Rippin da fAt

If I were relegated to roadie, I would have thrown the towel in ages ago, they suck when ya send em, cannot survive being treated like a mountain bike for long. Piss poor handling for getting rowdy.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

SS HT is so fun.

I have a Ripmo as my big bike and Ti SS HT for shorter rides. I have 100mm FS XC for longer rides (35+ miles) or days I don't want to ride single.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    My ideal fleet would be:

1) Road/gravel
    2) SS
    3) Modern XC
    4) Long travel bike with big, slow, sticky tires

The problem with #4 is that Id likely only use it in lift served areas. Just makes climbing too miserable, unless Im on a slow, mixed ability group ride and flat out dont care about climbing well. As it stands right now, if I go to Moab or some place that might beat me up on a long ride, I can throw the DPX2 on my Sniper.

Pretty close my fleet

1) Specialized Venge Road bike - 17lbs
    2) Vassago Optimus Ti SS (100mm fork) -22lbs
    3) Specialized Epic FS (100/100) - 23lbs
    4) Ibis Ripmo (29x2.6) - 30lbs

But I also have
    5) Vassago Verhauen 24lbs - Currently set up 29x2.6 with 100mm fork and 1x10 drive train for bikepacking, but was run SS for a long time.

My Rimpo gets ridden the least, but is very nice Sedona or the bigger trails on South Mtn.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Yeah those setups sound nice. My ripmo af is set up for hard riding with dd tires and cuschore front and rear. Weighs about 35lbs. Hence my desire to maybe have a second bike lol.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Pretty close my fleet

1) Specialized Venge Road bike - 17lbs
    2) Vassago Optimus Ti SS (100mm fork) -22lbs
    3) Specialized Epic FS (100/100) - 23lbs
    4) Ibis Ripmo (29x2.6) - 30lbs

But I also have
    5) Vassago Verhauen 24lbs - Currently set up 29x2.6 with 100mm fork and 1x10 drive train for bikepacking, but was run SS for a long time.

My Rimpo gets ridden the least, but is very nice Sedona or the bigger trails on South Mtn.
    Ill play, since Im similar to Joes setup:
    1) Pivot LES geared HT (100mm fork) - 22 lbs, on my Kickr right now, used for some training and racing, and as my de facto gravel bike, if I ever ride gravel.
    2) Vassago Optimus Ti SS (120mm fork) - 23 lbs, XR2 2.6s, very fun setup
    3) Yeti SB100 FS (120/100mm) - 25 lbs, my main bike and XC endurance riding/racing rig. Have a power meter on it for training, and absolutely love this bike.
    4) Ibis Ripmo V1 FS (160/145mm) - 29 lbs, my newest addition; just bought used to have a big bike for chunkier stuff (like Joe, South Mountain, Sedona, etc). Its also a lot of fun to just bomb easier stuff.

Yeah, deviated from the only two bikes OP, but thought Id share. I never thought Id be an N+1 guy, but YOLO...

Ride more; post less...

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My fleet is pretty full nowadays.

MTB:
    XC Hardtail (Orbea Alma)
    XC race bike (Orbea Oiz)
    (Arivinging soon) Trail bike (Orbea Occam)
    Enduro bike (Orbea Rallon)

If I could only have two it would be the Oiz and Rallon. If I could only have one, it would the Oiz with a 120mm fork.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    1. Surly Karate Monkey. 120mm fork, 34/20 singlespeed, dropper post. there is NOTHING that I would care to ride in the area that I can't ride on this bike in spite of the common refrain that a rider "must have" such-and-such range of gears and so much suspension travel. there are some things that I would not want to ride anyways (huge drops, legit freeride stuff) that, if I wanted to ride, I would want "more bike" but I just have no interest in that. every day time I ride, people give me funny looks. sometimes I pass them, sometimes they pass me. it's funny what your limits are when you let your expectations set them instead of your determination.

2. Traitor Crusade steel SS CX bike. 38/16 gear, 43/35mm tires, drop bar, all rigid. I ride this on roads and smooth singletrack. the technical singletrack gets dicey quick so I have fun if I just remember where NOT to ride it.

that's the whole "quiver." I've had some variation of two bikes like this for years and years. I don't see the point in spending thousands of dollars and filling my home with more than two bikes. if that's your thing, cool. but it's possible to live with less.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    My fleet is pretty full nowadays.

MTB:
    XC Hardtail (Orbea Alma)
    XC race bike (Orbea Oiz)
    (Arivinging soon) Trail bike (Orbea Occam)
    Enduro bike (Orbea Rallon)

If I could only have two it would be the Oiz and Rallon. If I could only have one, it would the Oiz with a 120mm fork.
    They make nice stuff fosho, but why do you have all Orbeas?
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They make nice stuff fosho, but why do you have all Orbeas?
    My wife raced for them for 11 years and now they sponsor a race team that I run.

Home
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Bikes in jeans
    2 choices only, I'd go with a SS hardtail with front suspension (dropbar optional), and a decent FS, AM rig. I have way more bikes than that but that would technically meet my needs for riding, from cruising around on my street to decent downhill trails. I don't want to downsize to just 2, but those would me mine. If it were 3, it would be my CX bike, a hardtail, and a FS.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    "....should I have short travel bike (100-120) and a big ol enduro bike (170-180)"

This is exactly my plan. I currently have....a 130 travel Intense Primer and a 170/153 Ibis HD5. The Primer is getting replaced in two weeks with a 120 travel Ripley.
    Carpe Diem!!

TRANCER
    I had 5 bikes in my living room last year and now only 2. Every time I look over I get depressed and ask myself "WTF BRO?"
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm a commuter/grocery hauler so I need a good utility bike. I also like road riding, long XC rides and some park style riding with biggish jumps/drops. So I have to cover a really wide range. I guess I'd need a gravel/touring bike stout enough to handle 50-60lbs. The other bike would need to be an enduro racer...wouldn't be a total slug on XC but enough travel and stability to hit some big stuff.

I think I'd do a Surly Straggler and a Trek Slash, with an extra wheelset and fork for each of them.

mtbr member
    trail bike, dh bike

duh

Snow Dog
    I ride in the midwest - Ohio, Michigan, Indiana - rocky, rooty. Short punchy climbs. Single track. Mostly ride in the fall and winter. No DH here. I get air at the skatepark, or on the trails if there are small features, but not ever higher than 10' (b/c we don't have a lot of that, and I am 50)

I have always only owned 2 bikes:

my Surly Krampus and my BMX. That is all I have ever needed. Both get ridden in much of the same territory as well. We have some cool, old BMX dirt jumps in one of the woods around here. Built by us in the 70's, and still around. Both bikes get ridden there.

I use both for commuting and paved trail as well...it just sort of depends on my mood.

And I agree with road riding, it is WAAAYYYY more terrifying than anything on dirt...
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Short travel trail bike and a big old enduro rig. I have that currently with a tallboy and megatower. I have like 5 other non mtb bikes but for the sake of this thread the short travel trail and big enduro bikes handle anything I will encounter from xc trails to bike park days.

Your bike sucks
    For the OP: since you have the Ripmo AF - maybe de-tune that a little to make it more trailable with a few lighter gear choices (tires sans cushcore) and get a DH bike. That's assuming you don't want to start from scratch, go to the resorts enough to make a DH sled sensible and would like riding your Ripmo on regular terrain+.

If you are interested in starting from scratch, more diverse terrain coverage and less bike overlap would be a shorter travel FS (or HT if you like that) and a burly Enduro+ (170+). This is similar to what I have...for me this works as I still can pedal the long travel bike up and don't have to be dependent upon lift-serve.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If I could only have 2 bikes it would be the Mach 4sl and the Ripmo V2. Pretty much can cover everything from park to technical to easy XC. That said, I ride my Ripley V4 more than anything, it's a perfect one-bike solution IMO. But then the HD5 is perfect for parks and super steep, of which I unfortunately don't get to ride enough. 1st world problems and stuff...
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    For the OP: since you have the Ripmo AF - maybe de-tune that a little to make it more trailable with a few lighter gear choices (tires sans cushcore) and get a DH bike. That's assuming you don't want to start from scratch, go to the resorts enough to make a DH sled sensible and would like riding your Ripmo on regular terrain+.

If you are interested in starting from scratch, more diverse terrain coverage and less bike overlap would be a shorter travel FS (or HT if you like that) and a burly Enduro+ (170+). This is similar to what I have...for me this works as I still can pedal the long travel bike up and don't have to be dependent upon lift-serve.
    To me this sound sensible.

For myself, I have ruled out downhill and have never been on a downhill bike. I am an old skier, top 1% skill level. I have only been mountain biking about 8 years. I found out pretty early on that I do not have a healthy enough fear of downhill to flatten out the learning curve. I am too comfortable with speed. The major difference between biking and skiing is that the bike angles into the turns. I never could get past the fact that you cannot just move your inside turn hand in to miss stuff. The damned bikes have handlebars that contact shit and send my flying.

In some ways I am glad I have made the choice. I accept the fact that I missed out when younger. I have 34 pairs of skis and regularly use 18 of them. I have two bikes and five sets of wheels. I hate think of what I would have in bikes if I included full on downhill.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    If I were relegated to roadie, I would have thrown the towel in ages ago, they suck when ya send em, cannot survive being treated like a mountain bike for long. Piss poor handling for getting rowdy.
    LOL @ "road bikes".

This is my commuter/gravel/light singletrack bike with 2.5" tires. Doesn't usually have a trailer. Not a fast bike in the slightest, but I've always focused on having bikes that do more than one thing, sacrificing the ability to be great at any one specific thing. Just don't have the funds to have that many bikes. I can pound the pavement on this thing (have to work for it), but don't mind hucking a pothole. Not saying something like this would be even close to right for the OP, but hell, you make the most with what you've got. I would only have two bikes, a rigid singlespeed and this goober, but I picked up a 24" bmx that needs a bottom bracket. Oh yeah, and I'm holding onto a ~2006 ish FS Gary Fisher thing that I was given to use but never ride. It should be pretty easy to only have two bikes, but if money and space aren't issues, then why bother?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you had only two bikes...-bike-trailer.jpg  

dang

Rippin da fAt
    My bike collective has been a 40+ year work in progress. Not all that I have had made the cut. Those that have been absorbed are cherished.

Lotsa pinching and saving has been the key, not to mention, selling off the components that just didn't do the deed as planned.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    This. Times 1000. Speaking from experience. I'm not much of a fan of big rocks, but I'll take them any day over a woman driving an SUV/4WD/whatever.

I can happily live with just 1 bike. At the minute, it's my mongrel bitser Ally 27.5 hard tail. I don't go near the road any more, so top speed ranks at about minus 436 on a scale of 1-10. Hard tail is fine, it's a days drive to any decent down hill tracks, so I ride what I need. Not what I think I need. And I'm too old and broken to get into catching massive air. One day I might upgrade to a 120-130mm duellie. Not while I'm still thoroughly enjoying the simplicity and rawness of my ht though

mbtr member

This is why my 2 bike quiver would have a gravel bike.

I have a gravel bike, and it's awesome. I climb dirt, where i can do it in peace, and descend roads, where i'm faster than cars. It's a road bike with extra capability.

Mine has a roadie geo/fit, and i have no trouble hanging out in cat2 pace lines.

It's just a better tool.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

6 bikes I actively ride and 14+ in my stable. The oldest is an '89 Zaskar LE, the newest is a SC TB4. I have never considered letting one go.

To the OP, given your preferences, the two bikes I'd stick with are the TB4 and MegaTower. My TB4 is the fastest bike I've ever ridden. I don't have the terrain to validate owning a MegaTower. However, I can say I test rode the MegaTower (on single track) prior to test riding the TB4. Up until I pedaled the TB4, the MegaTower was quicker/better/faster than any other bike I'd ridden. I did one 6mi ride on the Mega then took the TB4 out. I came back to the SC tent (demo day at the park) after 18mi on the TB4. I will never forget that ride.

"what ever bike you are currently riding should be the best bike you've ever owned"

Old enough to remember ..
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    6 bikes I actively ride and 14+ in my stable. The oldest is an '89 Zaskar LE, the newest is a SC TB4. I have never considered letting one go.

In other hobbies we call guys like you "collectors".
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by RhB HJ View Post
    In other hobbies we call guys like you "collectors".
    LOL! I resemble that but with the one important distinction being I've actually put several seasons of riding on all the bikes I own. And the TB4 is my very first 29'r.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Specialized Turbo Levo S-works of course and Intense Tazer

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by RideTheLightning View Post
    Specialized Turbo Levo S-works of course and Intense Tazer
    Oh ohhhohohoho. If I had unlimited budget maybe one of those enduro e bikes.

Trail Ninja
    Forestal Siryon, enduro emtb, should be able to handle any serious riding. 6200 euros

Custom cromoly DJ/trials-inspired HT for experimenting with bike handling skills and as a commuter/beater bike. Marino bikes in Peru could whip together a frame for about $350
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Forestal Siryon, enduro emtb, should be able to handle any serious riding. 6200 euros

Custom cro-moly DJ/trials-inspired HT for experimenting with bike handling skills and as a commuter/beater bike. Marino bikes in Peru could whip a frame for about $350
    This is....extremely specific lol.

mtbr member
    I don't send jumps (at all) or ride double blacks all time. I'd just hang onto my Following and my Cervelo road bike. I can be happy with those two bikes.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    imo a moped doesn't count against your 2 bicycles.

Ignoring the 'mopeds aren't bicycles' bias... todays ebike is tomorrow's trash. It's like a $6k cell phone. You're not going to be happy with any ebike choice for the long haul.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Trail Ninja
    Among classic bikes, I highly doubt there would be any that I'd settle with since it'd have to be a long travel fully.

SB150 has been a solid top choice for years, but want to try a Tantrum Shinning and await the new crop of mullet bikes, especially lower slung ones that can have the saddle slammed lower. The NS Nerd HD is what I'm looking for, but want something a bit more refined. If that had a motor, I wouldn't mind it being a pig--just a dual crown away from being a pedalable freeride bike. If I were riding East Coast, maybe a Forbidden Druid.

Current classic bikes are outdated in my eyes too. I like how my current ebike dulls my interest in XC culture (weight weenism, upgraditis, strava-holing); if anything, it makes me wish for something more capable, versatile, and dependable. The Siryon is the most tempting one I'd upgrade to and it has a reasonable price for having carbon wheels and sub-40 complete weight (comparable to Levo SL). It's a long travel, but lightweight low power option (60 Nm, comparable to a Fazua).
    Last edited by Varaxis; 06-10-2020 at 01:44 AM.
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    IMO I'd go enduro and an aggressive hardtail. Aggressive hardtails are super capable, fun and great all rounders.

I don't think personally I could go down to two bikes, I "need" at least an aggressive hardtail MTB, a gravel bike (for around town, quiet neighborhood rides, gravel road ridees) and a 20in BMX. None of those really work a replacement for the other.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)