Thread: I ride alone .

Bikesexual

I ride alone .

Good article from ST.

I don't mind groups, but love my solo moments. I'm slow so it makes my riding more enjoyable, than feeling the pressure of not holding others

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/un...ountain-biker/

I know, it's been discussed, but good read.

Battle it out
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Great read, and yes I ride alone more often than not. Many of his scenarios hit home.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Cycologist
    I ride alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    I ride alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    Yeah, you know when I ride alone
    I prefer to be by myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    I mostly ride alone for the same reasons I like to surf alone...... I enjoy peace and tranquillity when immersed in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I ride alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    I ride alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    Yeah, you know when I ride alone
    I prefer to be by myself
    Thereís a song in there somewhere.

Signed:___George_Thorogood_____
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    I mostly ride alone for the same reasons I like to surf alone...... I enjoy peace and tranquillity when immersed in nature.
    Same for me except it's snowboarding and mt biking. I've always wanted to learn to surf though.
    Love going at my own pace, being self sufficient, changing up plans or routes. Never liked "riding on someones wheel" or having dust kicked up in my face. Both activities are relaxing forms of excercise to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Good article from ST.

I don't mind groups, but love my solo moments. I'm slow so it makes my riding more enjoyable, than feeling the pressure of not holding others

Battle it out
    This.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    I took surf lessons once. I am not a strong enough swimmer to be very productive. Surfing is definitely harder than it looks.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Asswipe
    The bikes in that article are so 2003.

I ride alone .-2003.jpg

Good article but it had a sad ending. I want an update, did he get his mojo back?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    I'm in the 99.8% of the time in the solo camp. An occasional group or paired up ride is fun and different if meeting at the trail but most often, at least in my experience, it becomes a PITA logistically. Like herding cats to get to the trailhead when travelling together. I NEED to ride for fitness and pain control. When I make a decision to go, often spontaneous, I just go. I've been that way since I started. I just don't bother with a call out.

I have friends that will just not ride alone. They'll put a call out to the group and if nobody else is able, they just don't go. It HAS to be a social event most every time. Being heavily involved in our local trail organization, I know and repeatedly see tons of people on the trail that almost always end up stopping and chatting, usually about our local goings on. That's okay but plenty enough socialization for me on a ride.

Rod
    mtbr member
    This is true for me too. Schedules and riding ability play a major role.
    Last edited by Rod; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:17 AM.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    See my user name. I almost always ride alone. With one other can be OK. More than that, nah.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Good article from ST.

Battle it out
    I prefer to ride with my best Friend of 43 years if possible but if not, I ride anyway. Two important reasons not to ride alone. You could become ill and unresponsive or crash and cannot continue. Phones are ok but I often find myself out of range on in many locations I ride. About ten years ago we were accosted by three degenerates. When it appeared we were being relieved of our bikes, my Friend pulls out a 357 Super Redhawk out of his pack and starts firing a few rounds into the ground. Sure glad I was not alone that day. Those asswipes are still running I am sure.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    I prefer to ride with my best Friend of 43 years if possible but if not, I ride anyway. Two important reasons not to ride alone. You could become ill and unresponsive or crash and cannot continue. Phones are ok but I often find myself out of range on in many locations I ride. About ten years ago we were accosted by three degenerates. When it appeared we were being relieved of our bikes, my Friend pulls out a 357 Super Redhawk out of his pack and starts firing a few rounds into the ground. Sure glad I was not alone that day. Those asswipes are still running I am sure.
    I prefer to ride with my best friend too when our schedules allow it. Not to fear monger, but serious accidents do occur. 8 years ago I packed a friend out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Same for me except it's snowboarding and mt biking. I've always wanted to learn to surf though.
    Love going at my own pace, being self sufficient, changing up plans or routes. Never liked "riding on someones wheel" or having dust kicked up in my face. Both activities are relaxing forms of excercise to me.
    Itís funny you mentioned the term self sufficient in accordance with things you love to do. One of my favorite quotes is ďHappiness belongs to the self sufficientĒ.

Some of my best times on a snowboard came when it was stormy, dumping and freezing outside and all the lil cupcakes stayed in the lodge while I was out ripping the mountain with hardly a sole around.... epic times!!!!!

mtbr member
    Good article from ST.

Battle it out
    Complete agreement. I prefer being able to ride according to my own expectations and not worry about holding up a group.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I took surf lessons once. I am not a strong enough swimmer to be very productive. Surfing is definitely harder than it looks.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    The key to learning how to surf is learning on the right board at the right break. (Big board, slow wave). Otherwise you just get discouraged and quit.

Paddling strength comes with time, I was never a strong swimmer, but now I am. I can paddle hard and surf a 3-4 hour session. Give it another shot. Nothing like ending your day on your board and watching the sun go down.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Something the article forgot to is it's much easier for me to tell my wife when I'll be home when I ride alone. I know my pace, my equipment, and ability. When I go with a group, someone always flats, bunks, or crashes.

Last edited by Rod; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:44 PM.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    . When I go with a group, someone always bunks
    Sounds...kinky
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Something the article forgot to .Enron is it's much easier for me to tell my wife when I'll be home when I ride alone. I know my pace, my equipment, and ability. When I go with a group, someone always flats, bunks, or crashes.

Yes there is ďthatĒ. Lately I have been carrying all the gear necessary to prevent stranding just to keep the party rolling. Try and ride with those that have their equipment up to snuff. In the 70ís, we rode long distances on snowmobiles and the more riders there were, the slower we went with frequent stops. So yes, you ride with folks that are stopping all the time, yea, alone rocks.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Yes there is ďthatĒ. Lately I have been carrying all the gear necessary to prevent stranding just to keep the party rolling. Try and ride with those that have their equipment up to snuff. In the 70ís, we rode long distances on snowmobiles and the more riders there were, the slower we went with frequent stops. So yes, you ride with folks that are stopping all the time, yea, alone rocks.
    Exactly, someone cuts a tire since they tried to avoid the 60 gram weight penalty for an exo, snakeskin, or protection casing.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Sounds...kinky
    Gotta love autocorrect...bonks

since 4/10/2009
    The key to learning how to surf is learning on the right board at the right break. (Big board, slow wave). Otherwise you just get discouraged and quit.

Paddling strength comes with time, I was never a strong swimmer, but now I am. I can paddle hard and surf a 3-4 hour session. Give it another shot. Nothing like ending your day on your board and watching the sun go down.
    Waves were absolute trash that day (Nosara, Costa Rica). But the arrangements had been made, so we did what we could. I couldn't paddle far enough out to catch the waves right. I had the technique figured out to get up on the board as well as I could have all things considered, but since I couldn't paddle out far enough because of the currents, choppiness, and my own weak upper body, I'd be on the beach by the time I got up on the board. I ended up switching to a boogie board and had fun after wearing myself out trying to surf.

I don't live close enough to a surfing beach for it to be worth putting in a concerted effort to learn. The coast is a minimum of 5hrs away, and I'm not sure where the nearest good surf area is.

Yep so many jump in with 6í short board on a large dropping break. Not going to happen when learning. Been there done that. I then moved to a long board on a long rolling breaks. Much easier to learn. Although I never stuck with it. My brother did and has surfed 3-4 times a week on a long board for 20 some years, It became his life. He never did go to a short board. He enjoys the long boards theyíre much more forgiving. The board goes with him to work. He either hits the waves before work or after.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I prefer to ride with my best friend too when our schedules allow it. Not to fear monger, but serious accidents do occur. 8 years ago I packed a friend out.

My friends don't ride. All my rides are solo. Cellular coverage on our trails is spotty to nonexistent.

I carry an InReach satellite communicator to do automatic tracking and allow me to call for help if I need it. Can also text my wife for a pick-up if I have a mechanical that I can't fix.

Last edited by andytiedye; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I like the tranquil feeling of riding alone. I also ride with my wife a lot. We both like the fact that when we are together we can risk more and one of us can be there if something happens.

No known cure
    I've never had a riding partner. I've been on a group ride or two but theres too much stopping to socialize or there's the guys who don't maintain their shit. Other times there's complaints about distance and difficulty. Or weather. In the 80's, I rode alone because I was the only mountain biker I knew and I wasn't old enough to drive.

If it's a short ride, less than 15 miles and not too hot, I'll bring the dog.

Riding alone does have its dangers. I like to ride remote areas out of cell service and will ride at 90% but have had to ditch my bike and bushwhack out to insure survival from heat stroke(I hiked back in to retrieve the bike a week later) and I've had trouble with other trail users in remote areas who thought mountain bikers didn't belong on the trail that's led to an altercation. I still don't know if that guy made it out before nightfall. At least he had his backpack with him.

It's the same with snowboarding. I'll head up to Mammoth with the crew, and then do my own thing. They like to speed as fast as they can from top to bottom. I like to surf powder.

Speaking of surfing, I go on solo surf vacations so I can do what I want when I want. Besides I don't know anyone else who considers Iceland's uncrowded Northern Fjords a surf destination. I haven't paddled out with someone else since my dad passed away 12 years ago.

ETA Twenty years ago I drove out to Fruita and up to Seatlle for MTBR gatherings which were a blast. I've also hosted some of those same riders when they drove through and always had a good time.
    Last edited by Vader; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:54 AM.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Very random set of circumstances. I've been looking for new people to ride with, but have been failing miserably. Due to my work schedule, I can only ride on the weekends so I usually am thinking about riding all throughout the week. The only riding buddies that I have are tied up with their own lives so I basically just hope that they can make it out to ride on the weekends, otherwise I don't go. Found out on Friday that everyone was tied up so I figured I'd be taking the weekend off then I came across this thread early this morning. I looked at it as an omen and immediately loaded up then headed to the local trails.

One of the best decisions I've made in recent times was going out and riding by myself. I have always thought it was a bad idea because I don't want to get hurt and end up broken off in the middle of nowhere, but figured I'd give it a try. I ended up having one of the best days of riding that I ever have! I will definitely be doing more solo riding from now on.

I ride alone .-fullsizeoutput_552.jpg
    I ride alone .-fullsizeoutput_55a.jpg

jcd's best friend
    I like riding alone, but I have this crazy habit of meeting new friends everywhere I go. They end up wanting to ride with me so I have to keep scheduling play dates with them.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    I enjoy riding alone but also like to ride with a good-paced group when I don't know the trails too well.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Generally, I ride solo as I ride distance and speed. Most people in my area donít want that type of riding.

I use the Glympse app so my wife knows where to find me if Iím not back in 2.5 hours. Since using Glympse, I donít really feel alone and actually ride more relaxed now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I had my best friend who I would ride with and sometimes alone until she moved to Phoenix for a job. Now I mostly always ride alone except when I either fly out to see her or she comes back for a week or so. Can't wait for April, hitting Sedona again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    Generally, I ride solo as I ride distance and speed. Most people in my area donít want that type of riding.

I use the Glympse app so my wife knows where to find me if Iím not back in 2.5 hours. Since using Glympse, I donít really feel alone and actually ride more relaxed now.

I'll have to check that out. So far, so good, after 27 years of riding but one never knows.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Snow Dog
    I mostly ride alone for many of the reasons mentioned above...but lack of others who like to ride off pavement and my work schedule are the 2 biggest reasons though.

recently my friend has regained interest in riding, so we have been going out more together, and we ride with the same mindset, so there is no worry about slowing each other down, or any part of the riding being "boring". His son and my step-son will also go with us sometimes

My wife will ride paved trails with me, but no dirt....yet
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    I've always preferred riding alone.... perhaps cuz I'm a loner at heart
    No actually because I like to dictate my own pace scheduling is tough for me.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I mostly ride alone for many of the reasons mentioned above...but lack of others who like to ride off pavement and my work schedule are the 2 biggest reasons though.

recently my friend has regained interest in riding, so we have been going out more together, and we ride with the same mindset, so there is no worry about slowing each other down, or any part of the riding being "boring". His son and my step-son will also go with us sometimes

My wife will ride paved trails with me, but no dirt....yet
    My wife did the same. Even though you did t ask for my advice I hope it helps. In short, get her a great bike when she has the interest. I dont care if it's new or used. My wife hated a beginner bike and wanted to quit until she got her trek fuel. Now she rides more off road.

mtbr member
    My wife did the same. Even though you did t ask for my advice I hope it helps. In short, get her a great bike when she has the interest. I dont care if it's new or used. My wife hated a beginner bike and wanted to quit until she got her trek fuel. Now she rides more off road.

Yep, you nailed it. I purchased a high end Fatty for her and she never stops riding it. She looks great on that bike.

No known cure

Can you be tracked at all times or just while you're riding?

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I dont use this app but this feature is available on my garmin 520. It will also notify someone if you crash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I've been riding alone because i was embarrassed by how out of shape I was.. lately my wife has been riding with me.. I like that.

I've gotten somewhat stronger.. I have many friends that ride... I think** i'm ready to go with them without being super slow (maybe?)

scheduling is a pain however.. life gets in the way.

Pro Crastinator
    i xc by myself all the time and i prefer it that way, but i never ride dh or the jumps by myself...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm a solo rider mainly. Getting into DH this year got me into riding with groups. I went on a big group trail ride (14 riders) and all I learned is that I still would rather ride solo on my local trails...
    I like bikes

Out spokin'
    Seriously y'all? I'm amazed at how many folks in this thread say they ride alone. I mean, you know, maybe that's cool and maybe it's kinda sad but in any case I'm really surprised.

Personally I ride alone and enjoy doing so but probably only 10-20% of my riding is done alone. I have plenty of individual friends I ride with including my GF plus I ride with my ride clique -- we have a local Google Group called SpinCycle. Maybe a dozen of us. We get together at least once a month to ride &/or plan social events like brews & din at local brewpubs. There's typically 3-10 of us on a given weekend ride. We often go mountain bike camping together, too. Plus I ride events with my club, the Disciples of Dirt (Eugene, OR) and my GF's club SATA (Salem Area Trail Alliance). Big ride groups at club events. Fun way to meet new friends who ride.

In the end it's all fun. Solo. One-on-one. Small group. Big group. But I sure like to mix it up. Can't imagine limiting the social dynamic of riding to just solo. To me that would be kinda like limiting one's self to just one discipline of riding like DH or XC or only riding local trails and never road tripping to amazing MTB destinations.

There's so much out there. So many potential friends. So many ways to enjoy mountain biking. I love the breadth & depth of this sport. For me, while I ride solo and truly enjoy it, the experience is best when shared.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Cycologist
    I mostly ride alone but I enjoy riding with others as well. Riding alone I don't have to make arrangements and can just do what i want. But riding with others, get the opportunity to socialize and it can be fun following someone else. The larger groups I've ridden with (say around 8, can't imagine riding with a much bigger group) would break down into two groups based on speed but we'd all meet up at times so that was fine. And I enjoy showing the trails I ride to someone who has never ridden them before.

Snow Dog

I hope to get her more comfortable with trails. When we go camping, she will ride gravel a bit, but she has "no bike skills" as she always says.

Her son and I even try to get her on the BMX's at the skate park, but she is less interested in that than dirt. She likes to jus sit and read when we are there.

I had her on a trail once up in Canada, and we hit a hill that ended up being steeper and more rocky than it looked, and she crashed pretty hard. I think she still relives that episode a bit, even though she was pretty proud of it afterwards with pics of the damage etc.

We will see...
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I hope to get her more comfortable with trails. When we go camping, she will ride gravel a bit, but she has "no bike skills" as she always says.

Her son and I even try to get her on the BMX's at the skate park, but she is less interested in that than dirt. She likes to jus sit and read when we are there.

I had her on a trail once up in Canada, and we hit a hill that ended up being steeper and more rocky than it looked, and she crashed pretty hard. I think she still relives that episode a bit, even though she was pretty proud of it afterwards with pics of the damage etc.

We will see...
    I NEVER thought my wife would ride. She was completely against it.

I found the easiest trail that she can ride slowly without much elevation gain. We started at walking pace and worked our way up.

Look for dirt sidewalks or the closest thing you can find so she can build confidence and fitness. I encourage her to push if she's not confident but I try to keep those experiences to a minimum by choosing an appropriate trail for her ability level.

If you live near Dupont n.c. or ever had the desire to go, do it. Super easy, rolling, and fun for beginners. You could go back and ride the whole network.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I'll have to check that out. So far, so good, after 27 years of riding but one never knows.
    Ironically, I learned about Glympse from a fellow I ride with from time to time.

mtbr member
    You have to turn it on via text to your contact. You can also set for how long you want to be tracked.

Itís a bit creepy in a conspiratorial way, though. Who knows if someone can turn it on remotely and follow my every footstep on google maps?

mtbr member
    Here I am right now.

mtbr member
    I mostly ride from a specific point A to another specific point B, often at very peculiar times of the day, and often one-way, so guess how many people are ready to accompany me

mtbr member

Itís a bit creepy in a conspiratorial way, though. Who knows if someone can turn it on remotely and follow my every footstep on google maps?

Don't Strava and the other data tools do that?
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    You have to turn it on via text to your contact. You can also set for how long you want to be tracked.

You're carrying around a device with GPS and cell-service location capability. There are a dozen ways someone, some corporation, or the government can track your every footstep using your phone, even without a third-party app like Glympse....even without your permission.

Google is tracking you all the time, even when you tell it to stop....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Don't Strava and the other data tools do that?
    Donít know as I only use Glympse for real time tracking for the wife. I also turn on Runkeeper to keep a log of routes and miles.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Donít know as I only use Glympse for real time tracking for the wife. I also turn on Runkeeper to keep a log of routes and miles.

Strava doesn't offer this functionality to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
    I mostly ride from a specific point A to another specific point B, often at very peculiar times of the day, and often one-way, so guess how many people are ready to accompany me
    From point A to pint B. And how do you end up at your vehicle?

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    From point A to pint B. And how do you end up at your vehicle?
    The bike stays there.
    Me, myself and I stay there. Until holiday / weekend / ... is over.

Then I ride 'B to A'

Cycologist
    What were you doing at THAT bar last night?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi View Post
    The bike stays there.
    Me, myself and I stay there. Until holiday / weekend / ... is over.

Then I ride 'B to A'
    So you only ride when commuting to a vacation property?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Strava has the Beacon function. It states, share a beacon with up to three safety contacts so they can see your location during your activity. It also has a Beacon for Garmin. Garmin has a crash function that will send out a text if you have a big impact. My son has tested this a few times.

mtbr member
    Wow, What a bunch of loaners. I'd say currently 50% of my riding is alone. The other 50% with one or some of my group of riding buddies.

Riding alone has the advantage of you can go your own speed, and where ever you want.

But its no where near as much fun as hitting up a epic track with similar speed buddies. T

I think people that ride alone havent found that awesome group of individuals to share their stoke with.

I feel sad for those people.

mtbr member
    The vast majority of my rides are solo. I have one very dependable riding buddy (hoolie) that I love riding with, and a couple of others that I'll try to ride with when time and schedule permits. My job means that I'm often dealing with humanity at its worst, or at least when individuals are having a very bad day; riding solo lets me get away from everything. My personal nirvana is riding a fun, technical singletrack descent and reaching the bottom with 100% of my mental focus having been on my interaction with the bike and the trail. Even with hoolie, I try not to worry about catching him or him catching me. Our time together on the climbs (although as it gets harder and more technical he's often way out in front) is spent talking about whatever, and the time we spend before and after the ride (or taking breaks on the ride itself) are great. The few group rides I've done are fun, but in a different way.

I didn't start out wanting to ride alone, but I more often than not I simply don't have the time or patience to deal with other people being late or having completely preventable mechanical issues out on the trail (the few people I do ride with regularly take care of their bikes and make sure they've got the necessary supplies to make things work). In a good week, I can scrape out 6-8 hours of actually on trail riding time. With 40-50 hours of work a week, another 5-10 training for work on my own and a son that isn't quite yet ready to get out on the trail (he's 3, so he'll be out there soon) and another kid arriving in a week, time is at a premium. I don't think of this as being antisocial, rather I know what I like and what my personal limits are.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

No known cure

I'm going to look into Glympse. I think it could be fun. "Leave it on" and then stop by places she frowns upon, like my neighbor's garage. Or wander around in circles in the liquor store. Someone said there's a crash alert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Wow, What a bunch of loaners. I'd say currently 50% of my riding is alone. The other 50% with one or some of my group of riding buddies.

Riding alone has the advantage of you can go your own speed, and where ever you want.

But its no where near as much fun as hitting up a epic track with similar speed buddies. T

I think people that ride alone havent found that awesome group of individuals to share their stoke with.

Ha! Fear not, at age 56 some quiet time on the bike is all I need. Plus, I get to see a lot of wildlife that I donít think would just hang around for a group of riders.

Iíve seen some amazing things in the woods.

mtbr member

You feel sad for people donít want the same things from this hobby that you do?

Ha! Fear not, at age 56 some quiet time on the bike is all I need. Plus, I get to see a lot of wildlife that I donít think would just hang around for a group of riders.

Iíve seen some amazing things in the woods.

Yep, nothing better than riding solo and stopping to dead still silence and glancing over to see a deer none the wiser you were there. Wouldnít have happened riding in a group.

I ride alone .-4923d85d-794b-475c-857e-f393c021408b.jpeg

Rod
    mtbr member
    I'm going to look into Glympse. I think it could be fun. "Leave it on" and then stop by places she frowns upon, like my neighbor's garage. Or wander around in circles in the liquor store. Someone said there's a crash alert.
    That's for the garmin 520

Rod
    mtbr member

It's hard to find similar speed buddies when you ride for distance and speed as someone else pointed out above. I went as far as buying a rigid ss for group rides to make them more challenging. Then I rode it to the starting location and home.

achiever
    Lol. Don't feel sad for me. In my case, you are totally mistaken in your opinion that those who ride alone more often than you haven't found the right people to ride with. I love my riding buddies & love to ride with them maybe 5% of the time. But the other 95% of my ride time is mine. I'm an introvert & prefer to be by myself as much as possible, especially in the woods.

mtbr member
    I dont use this app but this feature is available on my garmin 520. It will also notify someone if you crash.

I use a 520. Where is that feature?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Fair enough. Some ride alone for introverted, pensive reasons. I get it. I do some of these rides too.

But I when i think back back of the most epic sessions ive had its been with buddies sharing the stoke over some epic trail.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I use a 520. Where is that feature?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Settings and emergency contacts. You select a contact from your phone. You can have up to 3

mtbr member
    ...but i when i think back back of the most epic sessions ive had its been with buddies sharing the toke...
    fify?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Settings and emergency contacts. You select a contact from your phone. You can have up to 3

So you must have to ride with the 520 syncíd to your phone. I only sync after the ride to upload to Garmin Connect and then to Strava.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    So you must have to ride with the 520 syncíd to your phone. I only sync after the ride to upload to Garmin Connect and then to Strava.

Exactly, it sends a text message via your phone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Seriously y'all? I'm amazed at how many folks in this thread say they ride alone. I mean, you know, maybe that's cool and maybe it's kinda sad but in any case I'm really surprised.

Personally I ride alone and enjoy doing so but probably only 10-20% of my riding is done alone. I have plenty of individual friends I ride with including my GF plus I ride with my ride clique -- we have a local Google Group called SpinCycle. Maybe a dozen of us. We get together at least once a month to ride &/or plan social events like brews & din at local brewpubs. There's typically 3-10 of us on a given weekend ride. We often go mountain bike camping together, too. Plus I ride events with my club, the Disciples of Dirt (Eugene, OR) and my GF's club SATA (Salem Area Trail Alliance). Big ride groups at club events. Fun way to meet new friends who ride.

In the end it's all fun. Solo. One-on-one. Small group. Big group. But I sure like to mix it up. Can't imagine limiting the social dynamic of riding to just solo. To me that would be kinda like limiting one's self to just one discipline of riding like DH or XC or only riding local trails and never road tripping to amazing MTB destinations.

There's so much out there. So many potential friends. So many ways to enjoy mountain biking. I love the breadth & depth of this sport. For me, while I ride solo and truly enjoy it, the experience is best when shared.
    =sParty
    I donít really ride for the social aspects as you do. And thatís not a bad thing. I ride because I love to ride. I can do it solo or with friends. It really doesnít change the experience for me. Solo works for me because I donít need to arrange a time to meet anyone, I can be spontaneous and just go when I have a moment. I find I cover more ground and get a better workout/riding experience solo. Iíll socialize after I get a good smash in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ...when i think back back of the most epic sessions ive had its been with buddies sharing the toke over some epic trail.
    fify?
    I'd go on that ride!
    Might even be able to keep up then.

mtbr member
    Interesting thread. Thanks.

Riding alone feels natural to me. And while reading all these posts before mine, I realized that when I began riding in earnest in my teens, I was riding alone.

And so that's my personal theory about why I think riding solo is natural.

Happily I do many social rides as well (which I venture account for more than half of the miles).

Single speeding has been mentioned. I ride single speed with groups sometimes. Back when I began doing this, it was really a difficult endeavor for me, since I was a developing SSer. It was awkward at times, especially on the climbs where I'd either have to go first, or end up trackstanding and slow pedaling behind others. But this taught me a lot of new things about riding and after a while, it became a non issue for the group, and it's not a big deal.

My wife and I began our relationship on a mountain biking first date. We're still riding together after more than 20 years. We are about to go on another ride together now.

We don't always ride together.

It may sound odd, but when the ride is just with her an I, it seems a lot like a solo ride. I wonder if other couples have this perspective?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ha ha. Mock all you want guys.
    There's no toking going on here!

I have amassed a mighty crew of similarly paced dudes over the last 24 years of mountain bikeing. Sessions with my riding buddies are just awesome. Some are more awesome than others of course. Some are frsutrating. Particularly when theres slow buggers.

But for the most part my group rides are sensational.

Here's one from my French alps trip in 2010.
    Go to 8 mins for some good wholesome mtb banter. Ahhh sensational times.

Now I'm going on a solo ride because its 6.30am and none of my riding buddies get up this early. Slackers!...

Out spokin'
    I donít really ride for the social aspects as you do. And thatís not a bad thing. I ride because I love to ride. I can do it solo or with friends. It really doesnít change the experience for me. Solo works for me because I donít need to arrange a time to meet anyone, I can be spontaneous and just go when I have a moment. I find I cover more ground and get a better workout/riding experience solo. Iíll socialize after I get a good smash in.
    Makes sense. I suppose Iíd actually ride solo more than I do if I didnít have a minimum of half an hour drive to the nearest trailheads. If I could mountain bike right from my door (I wish!) then a much higher percentage of my miles would be solo.

Solo... party in the woods... hammerfest... itís all good as long as bikes are involved, eh.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Piggybacking on Sparticus's post I wonder if there aren't some regional trends here?

I've lived and/or mountain biked all over the continent but cut my teeth growing up in the tri-state area. There mountain biking involved driving and the scenery or the "experience" was not as big of a part of the ride. Here in the PNW I still drive but it and the scenery is post card esque. This definitely seems to create different dynamics.

In the tri-state my ride was more or less just the ride. Almost all camping is sanctioned, and having an open container in the parking lot might get you arrested. Certainly not collecting randon wood in the parking lot having a fire with friends and possibly sleeping right there after a couple libations. That's not to say I didn't ride with friends, enjoy camaraderie, and make a weekend of it. I did, but the culture is certainly not oriented around that.

In the PNW the dynamic is way different. The outdoors are much more part of the culture and that is definitely reflected in mountain biking. I still ride alone after work & such as a matter of convenience but my life basically revolves around weekends, camping, and friends. At my age back in NJ that doesn't exist.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I might look alone, but my copilot is always right by my side ...

The author is still writing for Singletrack:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/author/JohnFisch/