mtbr member
    Oct 2018

I need your help and insight!

Hi all -

I am working on a school project researching the mountain bike industry. I'd love your input on this quick survey regarding your riding habits, suspension preference and brand insight. It only takes a few minutes but would be incredibly insightful for my project.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/M2V8RHC

Thank you so much for your time and help - and please feel free to share this link with anyone in your riding groups to gather even more data!

Cheers,

Adam

mtbr member
    I can't fill out this survey. Lots of suspension questions. Where's the rigid option? And drivetrain- not a lot to say about a single Surly cog.

Is Enduro a "type of riding"? I thought it was a race format. Can I trail ride on an Enduro bike?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hi Mack -

Sorry if this is confusing - I'm trying to learn your sport as quick as possible and it turns out its a lot more complicated than I expected! I tried to bucket categories as best as I could. If you could just fill out as close to the questions as possible it will get me to where I need. Thanks again for your time in completing the survey!

Cheers

slow
    I started the survey and then quit. Most of it is not pertinent to me. I primarily ride used hardtails that I build myself with older components and forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Done.
    Thanks for your time!

jcd's best friend
    You should probably ask questions on this forum before developing a survey.

I looked through it too and most of it doesn't pertain to me.
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    You should probably ask questions on this forum before developing a survey.

I looked through it too and most of it doesn't pertain to me.
    Thanks for looking!

mtbr member
    is it just me or does someone come thru here like once or twice a year, asking the same thing as the OP?

the discerning hooligan
    Help and insight aren't really among our strengths here at MTBR.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Cycologist
    Yeah, sorry, I had to bail as well. #5 is "none of the above" and I bet a lot of people would need that since none of the three options are accurate for their situation. Then when it got into the "How do you rank the following characteristics" sections, not quite sure what you're asking. I rank Fox forks as expensive, I guess you're asking how important each thing is when considering buying a fork?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    is it just me or does someone come thru here like once or twice a year, asking the same thing as the OP?
    I'd say every few months, really.

Most of the others are better-assembled than this one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    All -

So far I've got some great insight. While the survey is not perfect, I can assure you that your time is much appreciated and the responses are very helpful. Please keep the feedback coming!

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredibly110 View Post
    All -

So far I've got some great insight. While the survey is not perfect, I can assure you that your time is much appreciated and the responses are very helpful. Please keep the feedback coming!
    The survey is so far from perfect it's going to return useless data. The most obvious problem is with the 1-7 questions about innovative or reliable or whatever. Half that stuff is irrelevant to anyone with experience, so the survey muddies its own data. Never mind that fox and rs are both capturing the same OE sales, which are interested in the weekend warrior-goober crowd. Among premium suspension manufacturers, those two are identical in your survey.

To elaborate on the point; i have RS forks on both my main mtbs. Both of them are running 'outdated' dampers because they're superior to RS's current selection, and they're both modified from their original configuration. On the FS bike, i'm running a RS shock, but i have aftermarket damping in it cuz the OE is rubbish.

Everything i have is fairly close to OE DVO. but you completely failed to capture any of that.
    Last edited by scottzg; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:20 PM.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Market research.

It leads right to suspension and so I'd guess this was put together by a suspension manufacturer.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Market research.

It leads right to suspension and so I'd guess this was put together by a suspension manufacturer.
    Unless OP is just lying, this is a student working on a class project. Part of the lesson learned here is that you need to know a LOT about the subject ahead of time so you know to ask the right questions. If OP can include that in his final report, it should get a good grade.

We need people to learn how to research and ask the right questions. Have you ever taken a survey that give you choices like:
    A) I want candidate A to get everything he/she wants without exception because FREEDOM, or
    B) I want candidate B because I want the terrorists to eat my neighbor's babies!

I have.

Yes, we need good pollsters.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    Yes, and it’s a big scam by the same company looking for input on their invention. But we are all too stupid to notice and just keep answering the questions and taking the surveys, time after time after time.

Ya got to hand it them though, they’ve managed to get it done over and over.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    If that is the case, I'll go back and just provide wacky answers.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes, and it’s a big scam by the same company looking for input on their invention. But we are all too stupid to notice and just keep answering the questions and taking the surveys, time after time after time.

Ya got to hand it them though, they’ve managed to get it done over and over.
    This one quickly became obvious it was about suspension (MRP, is that you?). I like the idea of their ramp control doodad, but I'm not going to take a survey. My neighbors already ate all the local babies, btw. I think they're eyeing the cats next.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Unless OP is just lying, this is a student working on a class project. Part of the lesson learned here is that you need to know a LOT about the subject ahead of time so you know to ask the right questions. If OP can include that in his final report, it should get a good grade.

We need people to learn how to research and ask the right questions. Have you ever taken a survey that give you choices like:
    A) I want candidate A to get everything he/she wants without exception because FREEDOM, or
    B) I want candidate B because I want the terrorists to eat my neighbor's babies!

I have.

Yes, we need good pollsters.
    The wording of the OP and the survey questions leads me to believe that it's not class research, but marketing.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    those are really lousy questions for a professional to ask a target market if that's what's going on. I'd forgive a student who is learning how these things work, but a marketing professional should have done enough homework to know what "enduro" is and is not.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    those are really lousy questions for a professional to ask a target market if that's what's going on. I'd forgive a student who is learning how these things work, but a marketing professional should have done enough homework to know what "enduro" is and is not.
    Isn't "enduro" the word you attach to practically any offroad bike product?

-The Marketing Team

They act green to convince us they are a student, easy peasy.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    They act green to convince us they are a student, easy peasy.
    this one is clearly a high school quality survey. It would make more sense for a marketing company to pretend to be a college student or a university researcher and get answers that told them something useful.

But marketing companies/departments don't need to go to those lengths. They have access to focus groups and whatnot for the questions they want to answer.

Nat
    mtbr member
    It's probably an actual kid doing a school assignment, just like he claimed. You a-holes could always just pretend you know what a full suspension bike is and answer the F-ing questions so he can do his homework.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    The wording of the OP and the survey questions leads me to believe that it's not class research, but marketing.
    I came to the same conclusion. It seemed to me "they" are looking for a price point and who/how to market it to.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    It's probably an actual kid doing a school assignment, just like he claimed. You a-holes could always just pretend you know what a full suspension bike is and answer the F-ing questions so he can do his homework.
    Tell us how you really feel. I may have jumped tbe gun on this one. I will however stand behind my claim that this has happened numerous times without it being a real student.

I apologize to the OP if he is a legitimate student.