I need some good advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I need some good advice

I'm new to mountain biking, and I'm about to buy my first bike. I have narrowed it down to two bikes (same type, different model) and I need some opinions.

The bikes are as follows:

Revel 0: Revel 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Revel 1: Revel 1 (Black/Blue) (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Out of the two bikes, the Revel 1 is closer to my desired price range. However, if it means that I will have to upgrade components shortly (mainly considering the fork) due to lack of quality, the Revel 0 may be better for the long run.

What I'm asking from you guys is to analyze vital components of the two and send me in the right direction.

I will be using the bike as commuter from home to school and work, as well as taking it on single-track trails on my free time (considering I will be working and in school). The single tracks I'm researching are beginner/intermediate level, so that gives you an idea of what I'll encounter. As I gain experience, I will approach harsher trails.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Honestly I'd go with the cheaper one. Neither is built up well and both will wear out pretty quick if you're doing a lot of cycling. You're probably going to have to replace parts as you go if this is what you can afford for now. So, I'd save the extra $190 if I were you. It'd be better if you could increase your budget. But if you can't go with the cheaper one.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Get the cheaper one. Neither bike has stellar components, but they are a good starting point. In fact, I like a few things more about the cheaper bike. In other words, you'd be replacing/upgrading components on the more expensive bike just as soon.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for your opinions.

I could easily increase my budget, I just don't want to invest too much for my first bicycle. I'm going into college, so having some cash laying around is good feeling.

I'm ultimately trying to buy an entry-level bicycle without cashing out.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depending on your campus, you may want to find the cheapest possible MTB for riding to school. Look for something used. If you found something just old enough to have a rigid fork, that would be pretty close to ideal - cheap, not attractive to thieves, rigid forks track a lot better than cheap suspension forks, and the drivetrain and brakes are contemporary enough to work well and be easy to maintain.

See if you have a used or community bike shop in your area. That's a great starting point for finding something good and cheap.

Here's a fun thread.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/post-your-cheap-bike-sub-$200-695479-12.html
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Depending on your campus, you may want to find the cheapest possible MTB for riding to school. Look for something used. If you found something just old enough to have a rigid fork, that would be pretty close to ideal - cheap, not attractive to thieves, rigid forks track a lot better than cheap suspension forks, and the drivetrain and brakes are contemporary enough to work well and be easy to maintain.

See if you have a used or community bike shop in your area. That's a great starting point for finding something good and cheap.

Here's a fun thread.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/post-your-cheap-bike-sub-$200-695479-12.html
    Thanks for telling me from the campus perspective. Never really took that into consideration.

High Desert MTBer
    I would personally sift thru the net, Craigslist, ebay etc for a used bargain. Might take a little longer, but you can pick up some very good deals if you keep at it.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I second the idea of going used, although only if you're mechanically handy. A lot of strange things can happen with an unfamiliar bike and having one that's under warranty can be very helpful for a new rider.
    Either bike will get you around just fine. I have an entry level MTB (cannondale F5) and it comes with SRAM X5 derailleurs and they work pretty well and have taken quite a beating. I'm not sure about their X4 gear though that is on the cheaper Giant you posted. Just about everything else on my bike has been replaced aside from the derailleurs.
    The BB5's that come with the more expensive bike cause me alarm since the cheaper bike then probably has brakes that suck more than BB5's. My upgrade to the BB7's was one of the best moves to be made with a bike with BB5's. Perhaps you can get the LBS to cut you a deal on BB7's and then ride on with the cheaper Giant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I second the idea of going used, although only if you're mechanically handy. A lot of strange things can happen with an unfamiliar bike and having one that's under warranty can be very helpful for a new rider.
    Either bike will get you around just fine. I have an entry level MTB (cannondale F5) and it comes with SRAM X5 derailleurs and they work pretty well and have taken quite a beating. I'm not sure about their X4 gear though that is on the cheaper Giant you posted. Just about everything else on my bike has been replaced aside from the derailleurs.
    The BB5's that come with the more expensive bike cause me alarm since the cheaper bike then probably has brakes that suck more than BB5's. My upgrade to the BB7's was one of the best moves to be made with a bike with BB5's. Perhaps you can get the LBS to cut you a deal on BB7's and then ride on with the cheaper Giant.

Thanks for your opinion. I go in tomorrow to pick up one of the two bikes, so hopefully I make the right choice. I'l look into the BB7's as well.

mtbr member
    I would spend the extra for the lockout capability of the RS fork on the 0. It will make a big difference in efficiency, when riding on the road.

BUT having said that.... I'd buy a cheap, disposable bike for locking up at school. Craigslist all day.

my 2

mtbr member
    If they were priced closer I'd go with the more expensive one (better brakes, X5 instead of x4 etc). The shocks are slightly better, but still cheap entry level forks. I think at that price new you could get a better bike (something on sale, maybe last season's bike).

Can't beat used for price. $500 used would get you a hell of a hardtail compared to either of those bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 1