I need a COMFORTABLE saddle!- Mtbr.com

Feb 2005

I need a COMFORTABLE saddle!

Ok...so here's the deal. The Bontrager FS 2000 saddle that came with my Fuel 90 basically stinks. After my first ride the other day, it feels like I've been sitting on a metal post for 3 days. I def need one that's cushioned and comfortable. Any reccomendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NDPitch
    Ok...so here's the deal. The Bontrager FS 2000 saddle that came with my Fuel 90 basically stinks. After my first ride the other day, it feels like I've been sitting on a metal post for 3 days. I def need one that's cushioned and comfortable. Any reccomendations?
    Okay, its not so much the amount of padding on the saddle, but the shape and dimensions of the saddle and its position relatvie to your fit on the bike.

What you should do is check to see if the angle, height, alignment and longitudinal placement of the saddle are best for you. If the saddle can not be adjusted to make it fit better, see about different addles then. There are many saddles out there that look rather painful, but are actually quite comfy to a significant part of the cycling community. From what I can tell there is a degree of hit and miss with most saddles. If you want to take some of the guesswork out of what saddle to get, a few companies apparently offer various dimensions based on a measurement or two. The first that comes to mind is Specialized's new Rival and Avatar saddles.

I'm planning on picking up a Rival when I get the coin together.
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

Jan 2004
    Remember that even the most comfortable saddle will require you to ride it a few times before your ass gets used to its shape. Give the saddle a few tries more and try to work with its position/angle. Not all asses are created equal. What works for one rider will not always work for another.

Feb 2005
    Yeah...I'll try changing some of the angles and stuff first to see if it will feel any better. Although I'm not gonna be able to get on the bike for a few days, my ass like, honestly, really hurts. It's painful to even sit on my couch haha.

Caution: Freerider
    Mar 2005

velo plush + suspension saddle

i had a rather uncomfortable seat too.. if you're cheap like me, eBay a night squishy seat and a suspension seat post... i got the velo plush, kinda big though.
    AIM: bsr35802
    Who said more is better? Two wheels are better than four!

Mud
    mtbr member

Titeck Berserkr Saddle

I find the DH or Comfort versions really comfortable and fit me perfectly. And not too heavy either.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    Well, unfortunatly I can not tell you what is a "comfortable saddle". Everyone's rear ends are shaped a little differently, and every seat is shaped a little differently. If you get them to match then it's great, but there's usually some trial and error because the bike shop guy doesn't know what your a$$ looks like beneath the skin, and they don't know what seat will match it.

More padding doesn't necessarily solve the problem, because it's a shape issue.

If you haven't ridden a bike in a while, nearly ANY saddle is not going to feel like sitting in a lazy boy, most of them (even ones with a lot of padding) will feel uncomfortable.

You should give that saddle more time, one day is not enough time to have the material pack down and somewhat "conform" to you. You need to put a couple weeks on it before you can say anything. Just because it is different it will take some getting use to, but that doesn't mean that you should drop it after a day.

I bought a selle italia flite TT. Seems rock hard, and while I am riding it still feels pretty darn hard too, but after riding, I don't have any "pain" or aches. Because of this factor, I am pretty happy with it. It doesn't "hurt" me while riding, but it's not like riding a sofa either.

mtbr member

Wtb

I like Wtb saddles. I was experiencing numbness and i switched to a WTB pure stealth and all my problems dissappeared!

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    i need a REALLY comfortable seat. my ass has a nice rash goin on. its pretty painful. who wants to see a pic?
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

Maaaaan

... and if we just ... For What Its Worth...

As others have already said, it all depends on a lot of factors like your weight, riding style and the shape of your ass.
    Another often overlooked factor is, that some saddles will be more comfortable on short rides, while others feel stiff at first, but get better when you've been in the saddle for a few hours. Or at least feel better in comparison to others after a long epic ride.
    Gel saddles more often than not, feel great in the bike shop but can bunch up in your crotch and feel miserable on a long ride.
    If you ride up a lot of steep and / or long hills you should consider a saddle with a longer nose up front.
    The sad truth is, that picking the right saddle can be the most expensive part of setting up a new bike, or a frustrating experiance for a rider that can no longer find his or her favorite saddle because its gone out of production.
    If you want something that has got some padding but is narrow enough to slide off the back on a drop ect., some of Specialized's saddles like the Body Geometry Mens and the Telluride and WTB's new saddle's are worth looking into. The only thing I don't like about a WTB Laser saddle, that came on my bike a few months ago is; the WTB saddles tend to take a permanent warp in the middle if your a heavy rider like me ( 200 lbs. ) Other than that, the Laser saddle had been the most comfy of any I've ever used.
    Last but not least, some bike shops have " loner saddles" that they can let you try out before buying one.

Later, Eric W.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Jan 2005
    I think all of these guys have prob given you some great advice. I have a Koobi saddle right now that I love it has nice room for the boys. Just go try out a few saddles and see what you like.

Feb 2005
    Yeah...thanks for all the advice guys. I'll try to give my current saddle another few tries to break it in and see if it feels better. I'll also try to change the angle on the saddle. It seems that if I angle it down a little more it might provide a little better position. We'll see how it goes...

Old man on a bike
    It'd be nice if there were some way to determine comfort without experimentation, but after many bikes and saddles I couldn't tell you what that is. I've even found some saddles are great on some of the bikes, lousy on the others. I have a couple favorites and the Berserkr works well for my full suspension bikes particularly, for whatever that's worth; I seem to prefer a smaller/narrower saddle on my hardtail and softail like the Ithys or MaxFlite (and on my road bike I like a fat ol' Rolls).

Worst thing is just when you find something you like and wear it out and ready for another you'll find it's likely to have been discontinued. Experiment with saddle position a bit before you make a decision on any saddle (and possibly clothing might be a factor, too). Good luck.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Every checked out the spongy wonder?
    Some people swear by it.
    No joke.
    Not for technical trail riding though.

www.spongywonder.com

I have a Wilderness Trail Bikes Laser V Stealth which alot of trail riders like for comfort. Check out the reviews on mtbr. Also, are you wearing bike shorts? Padding is everything.
    Last edited by grumpstumper; 03-22-2005 at 02:48 AM.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    I feel your pain. Then I bought a Terry Liberator Gell saddle and it is by far the best saddle I have ever owned. No pain what so ever even after an all day epic. Two of my riding buds also got one and they both agree it is the best. See it at: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5210
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Bike to the Bone...

I had an Avatar 155 Saddle, switched to an older BG2 Comp

I had an Avatar saddle. I think it is a very good saddle, but it kept feeling like I had a romantic affair with the saddle after a long ride.

I switched to an older Specializes BG 2 Comp saddle, and I think it is very confortable. On sunday I rode 26 miles on sunday and feel much better.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Th' Mule
    Okay, its not so much the amount of padding on the saddle, but the shape and dimensions of the saddle and its position relatvie to your fit on the bike.

What you should do is check to see if the angle, height, alignment and longitudinal placement of the saddle are best for you. If the saddle can not be adjusted to make it fit better, see about different addles then. There are many saddles out there that look rather painful, but are actually quite comfy to a significant part of the cycling community. From what I can tell there is a degree of hit and miss with most saddles. If you want to take some of the guesswork out of what saddle to get, a few companies apparently offer various dimensions based on a measurement or two. The first that comes to mind is Specialized's new Rival and Avatar saddles.

I'm planning on picking up a Rival when I get the coin together.

They say I have a problem
    I know what you mean....I've got a pair of Avocet O2 40R saddles on my bikes and they are almost impossible to find now....Once mine die I'm going to have to once again enter saddle hell...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Keep on Rockin...

Old style WTB SST saddle...

It seems like it's one of the few saddles that makes your weight rest on your sit bones and not your crotch. IMO that's one of the more important aspects of a saddle. Your "sit bones" have a great capacity to develop "toughness". Your crotch does not. Saddles that place most of the weight on your sit bones initially feel unconfortable but with regular use become the most comfortable. Saddles like the traditional Selle Flite saddle have a contour that places too little pressure on the sit bones and you end up weighting your crotch. Saddles with too much paddle also seem to cause too much pressure in the vital areas as well; they also become uncomfortable on long rides. The nose of the SST points down so as to not catch the back of your shorts when pedaling out of the saddle.

Mike