I just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

I just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase

I just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase. Seller is in TX. I'm in NY. As far as I see, nothing showing that he's a scammer. In his bike description he asks for cash. I don't have a CL account & never used CL. I just sent email asking the frame size & year of the bike. I didn't yet ask the seller if they will ship. Do I need a CL account to buy? I have a paypal account. I know CL sellers/buyers usually meet in person, but I read online that some do ship state to state. Any advice? Thank you
    Last edited by TheeSuperUberV; 08-06-2013 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You don't need an account to purchase off of CL. The idea of craigslist was for people in the same general areas to sell their used items. If you were in Houston, and saw this guys post, you would contact him, and set a meeting location to look at the bike, and discuss purchasing it. Now, obviously this won't work for you, because of your location in NY. So, what I would do, is either contact the guy and tell him your situation, and maybe offer him a little more money if he were to ship it to you, or, if you have a relative or friend, or maybe find someone on this forum in the Houston area, to pick it up for you, and ship it to you. That's really the only options that you have, other than flying down to Houston, buying it, and shipping it back to your residence. Your kinda in a tough spot, so, theirs your options.

Regards,

WSRebel

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WSRebel View Post
    You don't need an account to purchase off of CL. So, what I would do, is either contact the guy and tell him your situation, and maybe offer him a little more money if he were to ship it to you. Regards, WSRebel
    Thank you very much for your idea WSRebel. I'll wait for his response on my initial inquiries, then mention "a little more money if he will ship to me". Hopefully all goes well. WSRebel, i ain't rich but if seller agrees i'll even give you a little more money (seriously

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Some Craigslist sellers do specify that they'll ship if PayPal is used to complete the transaction. No harm in asking for a PayPal transaction.

I recently did the opposite of what you're doing. Found some brakes on eBay, the "shipping from" location was only a half hour's drive from me. So I PMd the seller, asking if we could do an in-person, cash transaction, and that's exactly what happened.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    Some Craigslist sellers do specify that they'll ship if PayPal is used to complete the transaction. No harm in asking for a PayPal transaction.
    Thanks Bro. If we make this transaction through paypal, is there anything i should be worried about? Can i lose my money if worse comes to worst & he is a scammer?

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I've done a few successful CL buys, via PayPal. Important thing is you gotta first speak with them on the phone, before any money is transacted. Get their email, phone, home address and even see if they have a legit eBay account, with positive feedback.

Even with all the above bases covered...there is still the remote possibility of getting burned. Usually, I am put at ease once a shipping tracking number is generated.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the tips Zachariah!

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: I just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase

For miscellaneous parts, sure i might Paypal and ship. But for a bike, definitely not, buy in person only. For one there are a hundred things that could be wrong with the bike that you could only discover in person.

Secondly, unlike Ebay, Amazon 3rd party sales, etc, Craigslist has no identity verification or reputation (feedback) system of any kind. Anyone can create any CL listing with only an email address. So you're dealing with a completely anonymous internet person who has nothing to lose at all. They might not ship it and say they did. Craigslist won't be able to help you. All they have is a email address. Anyone could create a CL listing with a fake email address in 2min. Zach said talk to them on the phone and ask them if they have a Ebay account. Both help give you as little more confidence, but not much. Its very hard to get money back from some guy when all you have is a phone number. Ebay account doesn't help much - They could give one that isn't theirs. They could give one that is theirs and it would mean nothing when you have a problem and ask for money back.

From paypal's perspective, A sent B money. Paypal has no way to verify what it was for, whether it got there, they have no way to adjudicate in favor of either party.

Even if you get an mtbr member to help you inspect it, shipping bikes is hard, takes careful packing, and there's a high likelihood it could get damaged in transit. Then the seller doesn't feel its their fault, and has no incentive to fix it, because again they have no reputation on the line at all. You have virtually no recourse for any of these potential issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    For miscellaneous parts, sure i might Paypal and ship. But for a bike, definitely not, buy in person only. For one there are a hundred things that could be wrong with the bike that you could only discover in person.

Secondly, unlike Ebay, Amazon 3rd party sales, etc, Craigslist has no identity verification or reputation (feedback) system of any kind. Anyone can create any CL listing with only an email address. So you're dealing with a completely anonymous internet person who has nothing to lose at all. They might not ship it and say they did. Craigslist won't be able to help you. All they have is a email address. Anyone could create a CL listing with a fake email address in 2min.

From paypal's perspective, A sent B money. Paypal has no way to verify what it was for, whether it got there, they have no way to adjudicate in favor of either party.

Even if you get an mtbr member to help you inspect it, shipping bikes is hard, takes careful packing, and there's a high likelihood it could get damaged in transit. You have virtually no recourse for any of these potential issues.
    Some sellers refuse to take Paypal, others will (& send item via mail, shipping extra).

I live in LA area, & have traveled LONG distance

[ using Public Transportation..many bus transfers, since I don't have a car by choice..voting with my wallet against evil oil companies ]

..up to 3-4 hrs one way. From LA to Dana Point (south Orange County), LA to San Bernardino, LA to Riverside (!). I've got some sweet bikes (& parts) doing this.

I would contact this Houston seller, confirm his identity/integrity. Maybe you can arrange a shipment. I agree that used bikes can be a potential mine-field, I specialize in 90;s bikes (which often need a LOT of work). LOTS of unexpected stuff can crop up.

I would make sure you get a killer-price, as to "cover" any unforseen probs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    But for a bike, definitely not, buy in person only. For one there are a hundred things that could be wrong with the bike that you could only discover in person. it could get damaged in transit. Then the seller doesn't feel its their fault, and has no incentive to fix it
    Thanks for your input ddprocter. As for the above, I'm hoping for the best.

> /dev/null 2&>1

I hear what you're saying chimpanzee but i urge extreme caution here. The better the deal, the more likely there is some unseen issue with the bike, or it is even an outright scam. If the bike is such a good deal, what did local Houston buyers see in person such that they didn't buy it?

Wouldn't the seller far prefer to sell it locally and avoid an extra couple hours of work to pack and ship? Op may pay shipping costs, but can't pay the seller for their time, right? Legitimate sellers with nothing to hide are unlikely go through the hassle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpanzee00 View Post
    I would contact this Houston seller, confirm his identity/integrity. Maybe you can arrange a shipment.
    Thanks chimpanzee00. I'm hoping to do just that, as soon as he responds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Guys, i got a response from seller. He told me frame size but not exactly sure what year it is. In email he left his first name & initial on last name. I know that's probably nothing yet though... Okay, i realize i have to make it worthwhile for the seller to ship, if he does not want to ship. As a buyer, the only leverage i have is to offer him more money for the bike & for disassembling the bike & properly fitting it into a shipping box (handling charges)... even a bonus for selling to me. I have to get the seller to know that I am serious & legit. What if I offer to send a down payment via paypal, after phone contact?

update: I called paypal & asked about sending down payment... paypal agent said I have to pay in full to be protected by paypal & even months later i can still get my money back if something goes wrong

If seller is willing to ship, you need every shred of info on him as possible...including his full name. Tell him a bike box can be obtained at his LBS usually for nothing. Packing by LBS is about $30-50, depending on how secure you need it. Shipping across the USA(coast-to-coast) is about $55-80, via FedEx again, dependent on box dimensions and overall weight.

Since you are likely to give him ALL your personal and mailing info - it's only fair he should do the same. If he is somewhat reluctant - that would surely raise a red flag to me. How bad do you want the bike? Can somebody closer to him go see it? Your chances of not getting burned goes up greatly, once somebody you can trust can attest to the seller's credibility and honesty.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

long time listener
    If you can't see it in person, ask them to send you some detailed photos. Including of something sort of strange (e.g., close-up of grips), then you can be pretty sure that they've actually got the bike in their possession.

o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
    what you may also want to do is contact a lbs... maybe they would be willing to do a 3rd party inspection transaction for a fee and ship the bike to you. ask the seller if he would be interested in it... but with as many bikes that are available on cl/ny... is it that rare of a bike that you are risking the possibility of getting burned?

What IS this bike that makes you want it from a distance of 1600 miles????

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @Zachariah, i just responded to seller, asking if he's willing to ship. Told him i'm willing to pay $100 more than his asking price, including shipping costs, box costs... also told him about some LBS will give him a free box & even box/ship for you for a fee. I did not ask for his detailed personal info yet. Bike is just a retro mtb, with the frame color/manufacturer logo on down tube that i like. Lastly i told him i'm honest, legit & serious & if he wants to know anything else to simply ask. Left him my name, address, phone & email.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbruner View Post
    If you can't see it in person, ask them to send you some detailed photos. Including of something sort of strange (e.g., close-up of grips), then you can be pretty sure that they've actually got the bike in their possession.
    Thanks for the great idea jdbruner. Right now i don't want to offend him by making him feel like he's a potential scammer. Maybe later on i will ask him nicely to put a bottle of Pepsi or any beverage next to the bike & snap a pic

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skene View Post
    what you may also want to do is contact a lbs... maybe they would be willing to do a 3rd party inspection transaction for a fee and ship the bike to you. ask the seller if he would be interested in it... but with as many bikes that are available on cl/ny... is it that rare of a bike that you are risking the possibility of getting burned?
    That's a good idea too skene. I asked him which shipping method he prefers, if he decides to ship. Paypal just told me even months later, i can still get my money back, so i'm less worried or not even worried about getting burned anymore. Related to that, the seller may know about paypal protection & be wary of shipping/selling to me... I just skimmed through something online about scam-buyers paying through paypal, receiving the item but saying they did not receive it. I dunno about that situation. I'm just thinking there must be a delivery confirmation or something else to verify delivery has been completed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Btw, i contacted seller by clicking inside his craigslist page & communication is sent via my yahoo email. I responded back by clicking reply in my yahoo email. Please don't tell me i'm supposed to go back to his CL page to reply. Nothing like seller thinking i'm taking my sweet time responding

Quote Originally Posted by Cannondale M200se View Post
    That's a good idea too skene. I asked him which shipping method he prefers, if he decides to ship. Paypal just told me even months later, i can still get my money back, so i'm less worried or not even worried about getting burned anymore. Related to that, the seller may know about paypal protection & be wary of shipping/selling to me... I just skimmed through something online about scam-buyers paying through paypal, receiving the item but saying they did not receive it. I dunno about that situation. I'm just thinking there must be a delivery confirmation or something else to verify delivery has been completed.
    Just remember, with PayPal - you cannot get buyer protection, if you send the seller his payment as a "gift" or, free of PP fees. Buyer payment protection comes ONLY if their 3% cut is paid to them...consider it more like Insurance Protection.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    update: I called paypal & asked about sending down payment... paypal agent said I have to pay in full to be protected by paypal & even months later i can still get my money back if something goes wrong[/FONT]
    You're sure you said that this is a straight Send Money for a Craigslist transaction? Not a Paypal purchase through an integrated PP checkout flow?

I was pretty sure paypal only covered purchase protection when the buyer purchases through a real checkout flow, for a merchant integrated directly with Paypal.

See their policy here:
    https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...20for%20Buyers.

Eligibility Requirements

Send the payment to the Seller through:

the eBay “Pay Now” button or the eBay invoice; or

the “Send Money” button of your Account by selecting “eBay Item” and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number for purchases on eBay website; or

the Send Money tab on the PayPal website, by clicking the “Purchase” tab, or by selecting the “Checkout with PayPal” button or otherwise selecting PayPal as part of a Seller’s checkout flow.

3.3 Ineligible Items. PayPal Purchase Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods. Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:

PayPal Direct Payments
    Personal Payments --> I think this is how you'll pay the seller

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Just remember, with PayPal - you cannot get buyer protection, if you send the seller his payment as a "gift" or, free of PP fees. Buyer payment protection comes ONLY if their 3% cut is paid to them...consider it more like Insurance Protection.
    At paypal, I select "Purchase" right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @ddprocter, Thanks but your link did not work. I'm assuming at paypal i click "Purchase". I will call paypal to confirm. Currently reading this https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/p...y-and-security

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @ddprocter, the above link says, "Purchase Protection covers all your online purchases, on eBay or on any other website, when you use PayPal. It also covers you when you make a payment on our website. You must open a dispute within 45 days of your purchase or payment to initiate the Purchase Protection process. Finally, your account must be in good standing with us to get Purchase Protection."

I will also ask paypal if that covers bicycles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    update: I called paypal & told them i am buying a bike from craigslist. They confirmed that when sending money, if I select "Purchase" or Goods, I am paypal-protected. Also bicycles are covered too. Just have to make sure shipping includes delivery confirmation. So far all is good. Now it's riding on the seller's decision to ship or not (fingers crossed)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

i bought my long wanted 93 trek 8700 in my size from AZ and i am in HI. so luck he was willing to ship out. you have to use your common sense and feel the seller out the way they communicate with you. are they prompt, considerate, accommodating, etc?.. really just common sense stuff. its really like buying off ebay but you really need to make sure they will send it to you as most who are on CL selling this stuff want to avoid the hassle of shipping something out. just my opinion. good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

my CL seller at first didnt want to sell pit of state or ship then changed his mind when he found it wouldn't take that much effort. he was prompt in returning email, he took and sent extra pictures, he also checked some small details for me. he went to his LBS and quoted me a handling charge that they charge. he was very patient and pleasant with me. there is always a chance you will get scammed but you can only do your best to ensure a good informed decision

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

sell out of state

banned
    How do you know this bike will even FIT you?

Damn. Lots of great info in this thread. Kudos to those of you who took the time to post detailed details.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gsy971 View Post
    you have to use your common sense and feel the seller out the way they communicate with you. are they prompt, considerate, accommodating, etc?.. good luck
    Yes, exactly gsy971 & thanks. Like jdbruner mentioned, later on i will request seller snap a pic of a beverage bottle near the bike to confirm he actually has the bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    How do you know this bike will even FIT you? Damn. Lots of great info in this thread. Kudos to those of you who took the time to post detailed details.
    Finch Platte, seller responded & told me frame size

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    still waiting for a response from seller to my last communication... currently searching for bike shops in seller's area... gonna get ready to call several of them asking if they will box/ship to NY, even pick up the bike at seller's location in case seller doesn't want to deal with any further hassle... trying to minimize any work seller needs to do... #Godpleasehelpmeyoulovebikestoodontyou

> /dev/null 2&>1

update: I called paypal & told them i am buying a bike from craigslist. They confirmed that when sending money, if I select "Purchase" or Goods, I am paypal-protected. Also bicycles are covered too. Just have to make sure shipping includes delivery confirmation. So far all is good. Now it's riding on the seller's decision to ship or not (fingers crossed)
    Good to know. I'm still really surprised, how do they know who's telling the truth in a dispute? But i guess this works because there are far more good people than there are bad people (i hope).

Sent from your phone, which i hacked into

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @ddprocter, in case seller is wary about scam-buyers, i asked paypal about when a scam-buyer receives item but says he did not, what happens then? Paypal said it all comes down to "delivery confirmation".

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if it was mentioned but you may want to take it upon yourself to call his lbs close to him yourself and inquire about them not only shipping it to you but giving it the once over to make sure it's what was advertised.

I have seen some awesome deals on Craigslist only to find when I went to see the item it was in horrible shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklikesbeans View Post
    I'm not sure if it was mentioned but you may want to take it upon yourself to call his lbs close to him yourself and inquire about them not only shipping it to you but giving it the once over to make sure it's what was advertised. I have seen some awesome deals on Craigslist only to find when I went to see the item it was in horrible shape.
    Thanks jacklikesbeans, gonna cover the LBS's in his area tomorrow & also ask them what you mentioned about looking the bike over. Seller did post enough quality pics to gain my confidence though. Bike is clean

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    seller: "Tanks for the offer I cannot ship."

Man, that totally sucks. What is the bike? I can locate any bike for you...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Man, that totally sucks. What is the bike? I can locate any bike for you...
    ... & ship it? It's a Cannondale Super V (year doesn't necessarily matter, but rear suspension needs to be hydro disc brake-capable)
    Last edited by TheeSuperUberV; 08-06-2013 at 07:07 PM.

o°<o NYC pebble jumper!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hmm, they're not exactly what i'm aiming for but damn, they're making me rethink this. Thanks a lot skene. Gotta decide

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here.

I offered Houston seller $650 for bike, plus i pay for shipping & all other expenses.

He replied, "I would sell the bike for $450 + shipping ( around $100) I can try to find a used box at a bike store and pack it, But I cannot accept paypal. I would have to have a guaranteed payment like WESTERN UNION or such where there is no chance of Fraud. Paypal is VERY easy to cheat a person. If that sounds like something you would consider then let me know and we can work out the details."

But at the bottom of his craigslist page, it says Do NOT wire funds (Western Union, Moneygram).

Is this guy a scam artist after all? *sigh. Which is safer for sellers? Paypal or Western Union?

update: seller again responded a few min later: "One other option, If you can talk bike route in to handling it, meaning you pay them and they pay me, In that case I would go $400 so you can have a little room to play but they would have to pay me in cash, So maybe you can pay them via credit card or such, and they can just give me cash? Just an idea."

btw, Bike Route is his LBS & won't ship. They'll only box it up. I mentioned it first to seller in case he doesn't want to deal with boxing it up. But IF anything goes wrong, i don't want to & can't hold Bike Route accountable. Including a 3rd party in this, i dunno. Damn i want the bike though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ... & ship it? It's a Cannondale Super V, frame color: black matte, sticker on down tube is in yellow capital letters (year doesn't necessarily matter, but rear suspension needs to be hydro disc brake-capable). Maybe someone here on mtbr can get to Sugarland, Houston, TX & help me out? Seller link below
    Cannondale full suspension Super V SL ( mat black) XL LX and more. seller said frame is around 18"
    This is an old outdated single pivot design..mid to late 90's

I bought a 2002 Cannondale Jekyll 600 for $360 here in LA. There was another one which came up for $300 (lockout for front fork didn't work, though).

There are some modern FS that come up for like $600 (brand new MSRP around $2500), like 2008 Specialized Enduro.

I would forget about the Super V..yuck. I see them all the time on LA Craigslist, too much for outdated design!!

o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
    If you check CL there are more Super V's on there... however I am not 100% sure on if you can get the rear to work with disk... or what is involved with it..

I KNOW All About this Cannondale...

Today's eBay Super V picks:

cannondale super v | eBay

The BEST models of this bike are the SV2000-SV3000. The rest are clunky, boat anchors. Get the ones with the Super Fatty Headshok, or upgraded to the Lefty. The curved rear swingarms are simply no good; many break, under normal use and weigh a TON. The Coda cranks are great - but the Coda(Magura Germany) Hydraulic brakes are not deemed safe, or reliable in my book and replacement pads are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to source today.

This bike was one of the very first carbon fiber MTBs made. They are heavy and used a lot of resin to make it all come together. If you are the documented, original owner of the Carbon Fiber SuperV - Cannondale will still warranty this bike, with their latest and greatest carbon frame - the 2014 Cannondale Scalpel...which is one of the most refined, lightweight CF full-suspension bikes ever made(can easily be built to 18 pounds!). Cannondale's expertise with aluminum is simply legendary; they first pioneered the use of it in 1973. They once had a close relationship with ALCOA - which supplied them with the world's finest, Aerospace-grade 6000-Series alloy money could buy. Each hand-made Cannondale frame took five men and 42 hours to build. Their trademark "smooth welds" and bulletproof frames made them the most sought-after bike maker, during the 70's 80's and 90's. Their Race team in those days were unbeatable; Miles Rockwell(DH), Tinker Juarez(END), Alison Sydor(XC), Christoph Sauser(XC), Mario Cippolini(RD), Missy Giove(DH), Cadel Evans(XC/RD), Brian Lopes(XC) and others proved to the world Cannondale had cutting-edge technology and was not afraid to ever think outside the box.

The Super V is a unique bike. It combined traits of tearing up downhills, with the geometry to climb efficiently. The key to making this bike work is to build it with the most modern, lightweight parts you can find. I still have a 2000 SuperV hanging in my garage...but it's a museum piece, since it has NEVER been built. I will keep it simply as a testament to what a great company Cannondale once was.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    @skene, thanks, i just went through about 12 of the closest cities to me & i couldn't find a black matte Super V ... it's gonna be hard fitting a 2nd bike in my small room & i don't have money to burn, which is why i'm so picky

@Zachariah, thanks, i've been scouring eBay for the past few days. I've seen all of their Super V's

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I won't send Western Union & i can understand his apprehensiveness about paypal. Please for those who have been following this thread, here's the seller's last communication to me. Seller suggests this >

"I would sell the bike for $450 + shipping ( around $100) I can try to find a used box at a bike store and pack it, But I cannot accept paypal. I would have to have a guaranteed payment like WESTERN UNION or such where there is no chance of Fraud. Paypal is VERY easy to cheat a person. If that sounds like something you would consider then let me know and we can work out the details.
    One other option, If you can talk bike route in to handling it, meaning you pay them and they pay me, In that case I would go $400 so you can have a little room to play but they would have to pay me in cash, So maybe you can pay them via credit card or such, and they can just give me cash? Just an idea."

I won't send Western Union & i can understand his apprehensiveness about paypal. Please for those who have been following this thread, here's the seller's last communication to me. Seller suggests this >

"I would sell the bike for $450 + shipping ( around $100) I can try to find a used box at a bike store and pack it, But I cannot accept paypal. I would have to have a guaranteed payment like WESTERN UNION or such where there is no chance of Fraud. Paypal is VERY easy to cheat a person. If that sounds like something you would consider then let me know and we can work out the details.
    One other option, If you can talk bike route in to handling it, meaning you pay them and they pay me, In that case I would go $400 so you can have a little room to play but they would have to pay me in cash, So maybe you can pay them via credit card or such, and they can just give me cash? Just an idea."
    If you want that bike so bad - looks like his LBS needs to make some money on this deal too. Once the bike is in the hands of the LBS...rest assured it will make it to you in one piece.

PS: I use Yakaz.com for all my nationwide bike searches:
    Cannondale super v - Yakaz For sale

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Honestly I would walk away from this. To much to go wrong wait it out get one close to you. Deals pop up all the time. To much hassle on both ends of this to make it worth it. But it comes down to what you are comfortable with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you want that bike so bad - looks like his LBS needs to make some money on this deal too. Once the bike is in the hands of the LBS...rest assured it will make it to you in one piece.
    Yes i explained the idea to his LBS to see if they're willing to hold the bike for me. LBS said they have to receive payment first. I said of course. Seller now says he will drop the bike off at the LBS. As much as i feel seller is legit, i still won't send Western Union. I'm sure seller will understand that, just as i understand why he doesn't want me sending with paypal. So now i will call his LBS about me paying them & me receiving a receipt, for their services.

Yes i explained the idea to his LBS to see if they're willing to hold the bike for me. LBS said they have to receive payment first. I said of course. Seller now says he will drop the bike off at the LBS. As much as i feel seller is legit, i still won't send Western Union. I'm sure seller will understand that, just as i understand why he doesn't want me sending with paypal. So now i will call his LBS about me paying them & me receiving a receipt, for their services.
    Will his LBS accept your debit card for everything and just pay-off the seller? That way, the seller can either receive cash or a bank check from the LBS. However, the LBS may incur merchant fees(1%).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Will his LBS accept your debit card for everything and just pay-off the seller? That way, the seller can either receive cash or a bank check from the LBS. However, the LBS may incur merchant fees(1%).
    I'm hoping the LBS will accept my debit card. If not, i'll use another payment method. I also have to give LBS the seller's Craigslist page so they know what the bike looks like when seller drops it off.

o°<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Well only one way of finding out.

So you are really dead set on the bike because it's all black...?
    I would have just bit the bullet and go for the CF Super V in NJ.. Sure it's not all black, but you can always just have that powdercoated.. and well CF...

^Yeah, I tried to sway OP towards a SV2000 or 3000. The SV700 SL is not the lightest platform for that type bike. I put all lightweight parts inside a tub and weighed it with my unbuilt, 2000 SV3000 frame....and everything came out to 26 pounds!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So you are really dead set on the bike because it's all black...? I would have just bit the bullet and go for the CF Super V in NJ.. Sure it's not all black, but you can always just have that powdercoated.. and well CF...
    Yes the black matte caught my eye. It was actually the way a seller "voyager63" had that exact same frame set up in mtbr's classifieds section recently. Sold already, but saw this one at Craigslist. Yes i could paint any Super V myself but not worth the hassle to me, plus i dunno if Cannondale even sells that same downtube sticker. As for CF, it is slightly enticing but i have to go with aluminum for higher strength. Maybe it's because i saw a random pic last night of a carbon fiber part that looked like it was clawed by a lion... holes cutting thru it, shredded...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ^Yeah, I tried to sway OP towards a SV2000 or 3000. The SV700 SL is not the lightest platform for that type bike. I put all lightweight parts inside a tub and weighed it with my unbuilt, 2000 SV3000 frame....and everything came out to 26 pounds!
    I consider myself a weight weenie & had always stayed away from front & full suspension due to higher bike weight. It was only until very recently seeing those black matte Super V's, that made me say i love it & it's okay that it's heavier because it is a full suspension bike (i know they have 22 lb & under FS bikes out there but i can't speak on those as they're beyond my reach moneywise)... btw Zachariah 26 lbs to me is very good for a FS bike... my rigid is 23.5 lbs... kudos man

I consider myself a weight weenie & had always stayed away from front & full suspension due to higher bike weight. It was only until very recently seeing those black matte Super V's, that made me say i love it & it's okay that it's heavier because it is a full suspension bike (i know they have 22 lb & under FS bikes out there but i can't speak on those as they're beyond my reach moneywise)... btw Zachariah 26 lbs to me is very good for a FS bike... my rigid is 23.5 lbs... kudos man
    Yeah, that is with all my WW race parts:
    ~Stans ZTR Olympic wheels, with DT Swiss 240s hubs
    ~Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.10 tires
    ~SRAM X0 9-speed Grip Shifters. rear derailleur
    ~Shimano XTR FD-M952 front derailleur
    ~Shimano XTR CS-M960 11-34 titanium cassette
    ~Shimano XTR CN-9600 chain
    ~Cannondale CODA Magic 600 crankset, w/ outboard Bottom Bracket cups(RARE!)
    ~Cannondale Super Fatty DLR Headshok
    ~Ritchey WCS carbon flat bar
    ~Ritchey WCS carbon seatpost
    ~Ritchey WCS carbon stem
    ~Magura Marta SL hydraulic brakes
    ~Crank Brothers Egg Beater titanium pedals
    ~Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio saddle
    ~Gore RideOn coated cables/housings
    ~Rock Shox Monarch 3.3 rear air shock

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Good job!

Yeah, that is with all my WW race parts:
    ~Stans ZTR Olympic wheels, with DT Swiss 240s hubs
    ~Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.10 tires
    ~SRAM X0 9-speed Grip Shifters. rear derailleur
    ~Shimano XTR FD-M952 front derailleur
    ~Shimano XTR CS-M960 11-34 titanium cassette
    ~Shimano XTR CN-9600 chain
    ~Cannondale CODA Magic 600 crankset, w/ outboard Bottom Bracket cups(RARE!)
    ~Cannondale Super Fatty DLR Headshok
    ~Ritchey WCS carbon flat bar
    ~Ritchey WCS carbon seatpost
    ~Ritchey WCS carbon stem
    ~Magura Marta SL hydraulic brakes
    ~Crank Brothers Egg Beater titanium pedals
    ~Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio saddle
    ~Gore RideOn coated cables/housings
    ~Rock Shox Monarch 3.3 rear air shock
    Very nice... i found out the year of my Super V700 SL is 1999 by looking at vintagecannondale catalogs. UPDATE: I bought the bike via MoneyGram. A few things told me he was legit. He didn't want my offer of $650+. He even went lower than his original $450 asking price, down to $400, helping me on my end to pay for the LBS boxing fee of $65. Super cool guy! I'll post pics soon after i figure out which parts to swap from my rigid... recently upgraded practically all of it to new parts... oh LBS did not want any part of being third party to pay for bike (giving seller cash)

Very nice... i found out the year of my Super V700 SL is 1999 by looking at vintagecannondale catalogs. UPDATE: I bought the bike via MoneyGram. A few things told me he was legit. He didn't want my offer of $650+. He even went lower than his original $450 asking price, down to $400, helping me on my end to pay for the LBS boxing fee of $65. Super cool guy! I'll post pics soon after i figure out which parts to swap from my rigid... recently upgraded practically all of it to new parts... oh LBS did not want any part of being third party to pay for bike (giving seller cash)
    Did seller give you a tracking number? Glad it worked out. You actually made out well - the 1999 SV700SL was Cannondale's lightweight "race version"...easily capable of building a 24lb FS bike! Just upgrade that rear shock to a modern one. The original Fox coiler is like a Pogo stick!

Here is a great deal on those rare, period-correct CODA cranks, courtesy of MTBR:
    Sweetwings and Coda Magic cranks - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Did seller give you a tracking number? Glad it worked out. Just upgrade that rear shock to a modern one. The original Fox coiler is like a Pogo stick!
    Oh the LBS is holding it now for me until i have FedEx pick it up. But LBS is backed up with customer repairs & can't box up my bike until next week (my jaw almost dropped lol) but eh, at least seller was legit & bike is in LBS. I'll be REALLY giddy once i have a FedEx tracking # Thanks for the rear shock tip. When i get it here, i'm just gonna stare at it like it was the first porn movie i ever saw haha. I'm pretty broke now for upgrades, but i really wanna put Fox front shocks on it also eventually, like a Float 32... i think they call that Uber V?

Oh the LBS is holding it now for me until i have FedEx pick it up. But LBS is backed up with customer repairs & can't box up my bike until next week (my jaw almost dropped lol) but eh, at least seller was legit & bike is in LBS. I'll be REALLY giddy once i have a FedEx tracking # Thanks for the rear shock tip. When i get it here, i'm just gonna stare at it like it was the first porn movie i ever saw haha. I'm pretty broke now for upgrades, but i really wanna put Fox front shocks on it also eventually, like a Float 32... i think they call that Uber V?
    I'd leave the Headshok fork...it's freaking LIGHT at just under 3 pounds! In fact, try upgrading to the Super Fatty Ultra DLR80 - which feels better than a 100mm Fox 32 F100RL...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'd leave the Headshok fork...it's freaking LIGHT at just under 3 pounds! In fact, try upgrading to the Super Fatty Ultra DLR80 - which feels better than a 100mm Fox 32 F100RL...
    I am trying to put the lightest parts on it but personally i think Headshok Fatty forks are ugly. They gotta go FAST!

I am trying to put the lightest parts on it but personally i think Headshok Fatty forks are ugly. They gotta go FAST!
    You will eventually need a headset reducer/adapter, if you plan on going with a conventional twin-stanchion fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You will eventually need a headset reducer/adapter, if you plan on going with a conventional twin-stanchion fork.
    i saw this a few min ago... something like this? Upgrading Suspension Forks - YouTube

i saw this a few min ago... something like this? Upgrading Suspension Forks - YouTube
    That works...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That works...
    Thanks Zachariah... i got a lot of learning to do

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Good job!

just got FedEx Tracking number(s): woot woot !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So, I have to ask, what made you want this bike? It personally doesn't appeal to me, and I am curious to hear why...did you used to have it, and got rid of it? Or, do you just think it looks cool?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WSRebel View Post
    So, I have to ask, what made you want this bike? It personally doesn't appeal to me, and I am curious to hear why...did you used to have it, and got rid of it? Or, do you just think it looks cool?
    I had my 1996 Cannondale rigid since 1998. Bought it new; love Cannondales. I'm a weight weenie & was always against full suspension due to higher weight, until recently seeing some FS bikes here weighing about 22 lbs & under. I was stunned... then i saw a Super V in mtbr's Classifieds... the way it was set up, frame color, bold logo on downtube, front shock, etc just spoke to me... kinda like when you see an attractive girl. I inquired about it, but unfortunately got a reply saying "sorry sold last night". I'll admit i'm not hardcore in a rider's sense & can't afford most high tech components, which relates to this 1999 Super V i bought. I was also stunned that so many people are selling them at an average price of about $800. So i'll do my best to lighten it the best i can with my modest income. I only rode one Super V around 1995. My friend came over my house. I took a spin. It was okay & kinda cool. I never thought i'd own one. Dunno if that has anything to do with it

btw, i never thought i'd get rid of my rigid but i believe i am

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Finally got the Super V in my hands recently. Put my tires & seat on it.

You can see the headset cartridge bearings popping out. They wouldn't go in the cups by hand. I assume i need a tool?

I dunno the Fatty steerer tube diameter. I'm getting rid of it for Fox forks but I wanna keep the stem & put my Easton 31.8mm bars on it, but this bar's clamp diameter is thinner than 31.8mm. Anyone know what size stem this is? Also, does it look like a seal or cap is missing when you look on top of the stem/into the steerer tube? That big silver nut/allen bolt is on the Fatty steerer tube... dunno what it does.

About the rear shock, i can't increase travel unless i get a Jekyll swingarm? Currently i've got Fox Vanilla, 4.7" travel = 119.38mm. Is this a "bonded" swingarm?
    I just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase-img_0785-good-fb-snipped.jpgI just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase-img_0795-good-fav-fb-snipped.jpgI just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase-img_0852-fb-snipped.jpgI just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase-img_0823-fav-snipped.jpgI just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase-img_0848-fav-snipped.jpgI just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase-img_0825-fav-snipped.jpgI just saw a bike on craigslist that I REALLY want to purchase-img_0849-fav-snipped.jpg
    Last edited by TheeSuperUberV; 08-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.