I was depressed while riding today- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I was depressed while riding today

I used to feel giddy and grin while riding down hills. Today I had to push myself to keep going, even while descending. The joy is gone. Maybe I'll quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Probably not the riding. Likely something else. And you'd be in tougher shape without the riding. Keep riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've had that happen. Picking up road cycling got me interested again until I realized it was the way I rode that was making me depressed. I was riding pretty much all out all the time so I got burnt out and an overuse knee injury. When every ride results in pain and suffering from intense effort your body will force you know knock it off eventually.

Now my rides have a massive variety of effort levels and types. Mostly slowish and just allow myself to enjoy being on a bicycle. The intense ones are more exciting than ever and my fitness even improved quite a bit.

mtbr member
    i listen to podcasts whenever i ride. my body gets a workout, my mind does too

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Do you ride alone or with others? I'm always more motivated riding with others, so rarely ride alone as it's just not as much fun.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Timpanogos View Post
    I used to feel giddy and grin while riding down hills. Today I had to push myself to keep going, even while descending. The joy is gone. Maybe I'll quit riding.
    If you can buy a new type of bike. if you have a full suspension, get a rigid bike. Try a singlespeed or a gravel bike on your usual trails. Get flat pedals and replace your clips. Get a fat bike and try your usual thing.

I find that the best way to experience something in a different way is to see it through new eyes and nothing changes up your routine on a bike than fundamentally changing the way you experience the trail.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    I totally agree you probably have more going on than the riding. Who doesnít these days? Talk to someone if you can.

If it is only the riding, thereís worst things then taking a break, or even quitting a sport for something else. you can always come back. Three weeks, three months, three years, doesnít matter.

I came back to mtb three years ago after a ten year break. Dumped a whole fleet of paddle craft and gots me a nice bike. Nice change of pace. Now I literally have dreams about riding.

Take care of number 1.

mtbr member
    I've have off days - joyless grinds. But if it happens a lot, if the pleasure seems to have gone out of riding, maybe take break. as others have said, you can come back.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

jcd's best friend
    N+1 usually helps! But I do understand how you feel. Most of the time, what demotivates me and pushes me away from my mountain bike is my health. Some days are better than others. I don't really progress much on my mountain bike because I prefer to ride solo. Some of my friends tried to help me in the past but I end up just having a panic reaction and don't want to follow them on the trail.

Maybe you just need a lot of non-saddle time. It can help depending on what's bothering you. Store the bike for a little while and try something new.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    The joy is gone. Maybe I'll quit riding.
    You should quit, if its not fun. I do it for health not pleasure. Each his own, be free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree that there's probably more going on. I would encourage you to talk to someone as well. I'm assuming that this isn't the first time you felt this way if you're posting it.

also a good thing to keep in mind is exercise tends to help with depression. Although I can relate and the fact that writing was tough during that time. I'm going through the same thing now and medication has helped me quite a bit. Still not out of the woods yet though.

mtbr member
    The OP shares no deets, thus no reasonable advice to be had.

There are 1000 potential reasons...
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You and I should ride together. I have depression too. I am taking high dose of medication

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    You and I should ride together. I have depression too. I am taking high dose of medication

Maybe you 2 can start dating too! That would be a great post to read here

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Seems like the wrong thread to try for a few yuks

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceWeaklegs View Post
    I've been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety disorder. Sometimes just being silly or lighthearted helps with depression. I'm actually unmedicated and I learned to tolerate my mental health problems. It's probably not the way to handle it but I've been managing so far.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post

This could have gone many different ways, I think laughter is the best medicine. But if dude isn't enjoying riding his bike then he needs to hang it up for a few weeks. Even more so if its a few "yuks" on a biking forum doesn't cheer him up a bit.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Do you ride too often? If I ride too often, I don't enjoy it as much and feel like I'm just forcing myself.

well mannered lout
    The new bike has been suggested. I prefer the idea of a new trail more. If you're riding flowy modern trails maybe try old style primitive single track or rugged jeep tracks.

Also, it's perfectly fine to put the bike down to pick something else up. Don't need to use the word "quit" just yet.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post

Yeah, it's a little too ambiguous. Not that you should necessarily give all of us the details, but it's unlikely that biking made you depressed. You know what else is going on, and maybe biking used to help with that but doesn't anymore. Try riding differently, try not riding. Whatever. If you feel like this or have felt like this for a long time and you have access to healthcare, do it, man. Admittedly, I've been either wicked up or down as work-from-home/quarantine has dragged on either working on projects or researching new information until 2:00 a.m. or else just not motivated to do anything, including dealing with it. Don't be like me, take care of yourself.
    dang

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Eh, if it doesn't bring you joy, find something else that does.

But if you're looking to recapture some of the old magic, you could try a new trail or riding area. That usually gets me excited.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Try gravel riding or some form there of

Or just go to a pump track and have a little fun

Work on wheelies

Work on manuals

Take bicycle apart and put it back together

Take a few weeks off too

It will work out and you will be back stronger and better than ever

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Laughter isn't best medicine. I laugh often but I am still depressed.

It nearly impossible to wean off medications because it is the only thing that keep me sane.

If I lose my sanity, I would be purging you guys left to right.

All fat, all the time.
    Find a different hobby to add, so biking is not the only thing you do.
    Happiness is a state of mind. Focus on the good things you have in your life.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I've been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety disorder. Sometimes just being silly or lighthearted helps with depression. I'm actually unmedicated and I learned to tolerate my mental health problems. It's probably not the way to handle it but I've been managing so far.
    Not diagnosed myself but certainly could be. Better in managing as I've aged, but it was difficult some 10+ yrs ago. Counseling helped, and a back-up of Xanax just in case I wanted (but never took).
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    I have been totally uninspired to ride since the pandemic. the few times that I did ride, I had an OK time. I am likely depressed, just like a lot of us. mental health is a serious concern for all of us right now. my wife and I both are still employed, most of our families are healthy (except aging people, as expected) and we don't have anything to worry about in our immediate lives. but the weight of all of this is really heavy on me and it's put me in a funk lately.

I go through this periodically. reading this forum and viewing mtb-related media makes it worse when I see images of people riding bikes with skill I'll never have, in places I'll never visit, on bikes I can't afford. FOMO (fear of missing out) is a real thing that affects a lot of us. I feel the need to answer for my circumstances and struggle to accept things for what they are with contentment.

I have a new wheel coming this week after over two months of not riding because the Budget Committee would not validate the purchase until I found a rock-bottom price compromise. that should cheer me up for a while. still, my way of being in the world is to take on the emotional burdens of strangers. it's just how I am wired. I need to allow riding to soothe my soul. it would solve anything, but it will let me forget about it all for a while. it beats drinking.

mtbr member
    This decision is based on one ride?
    What's REALLY going on?

mtbr member
    word of cation for people giving advice: "just buy another bike" often makes it worse. believing that one will be happier by making a purchase can lead to a depressed state when they realize that they can't afford it, or a poor financial choice that really won't make them happy in the long run. I feel awful every time I tell people the truth that a decent bike that is going to hold up to actual trail riding is in the $1,000 range, knowing that a purchase like that is out of most people's budget without making a compromise.

MOST people cannot afford buying one decent bike without going into debt. look at the statistics for (Americans, at least) who don't have the liquid funds to afford a $500 emergency. as individuals and as a culture, we need to learn to be content with less for so many reasons, mental health being one of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I become super happy when I go DH biking at bike park

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    word of cation for people giving advice: "just buy another bike" often makes it worse. believing that one will be happier by making a purchase can lead to a depressed state when they realize that they can't afford it, or a poor financial choice that really won't make them happy in the long run. I feel awful every time I tell people the truth that a decent bike that is going to hold up to actual trail riding is in the $1,000 range, knowing that a purchase like that is out of most people's budget without making a compromise.

MOST people cannot afford buying one decent bike without going into debt. look at the statistics for (Americans, at least) who don't have the liquid funds to afford a $500 emergency. as individuals and as a culture, we need to learn to be content with less for so many reasons, mental health being one of them.
    Spot on, mack. Spending money on something you don't need will not make you happy in the long run. That's like being hungry and eating a pound of saltwater taffy. If it is a burden on your finances, it will simply stress you out more.

As others have stated, real depression calls for professional guidance in the form of counseling, behavioral management, or even medications (if you must). If you're feeling depressed often and are a drinker, even casual, cut that out for a while.
    dang

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    After reading some of your diagnostic evaluations, it's no surprise to me that the OP has vanished. Sounds like lots of us need to get out and ride.....
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Nothing seems to kill me
    This made me laugh..
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    After reading some of your diagnostic evaluations, it's no surprise to me that the OP has vanished. Sounds like lots of us need to get out and ride.....
    lol sounds like YOU need a new bike. Maybe a cheap one, $4-5k.
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    Do you ride too often? If I ride too often, I don't enjoy it as much and feel like I'm just forcing myself.
    I'm the same way.

IMO (and other's), my wife is a compulsive exerciser who LOVES to MTB. The problem is when that spills over to me - I love to MTB too, but don't always want to ride every day I possibly can. Sometimes she gets bummed that I'm being "lazy" but the fact is by early September I'm burned out on every trail within a 2 hour drive.

A new bike did help with that and so does living where MTB season is fairly short.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I attribute the OP's condition as being complicated by the COVID quarantine. Financial woes, work loss, all of these things make a major depressive disorder feel worse. I have no solution, except to persevere, and fight the inner darkness one is experience by trying your best to counter it with the light. And never to judge the suffering of any one in a compassionless way.
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    This made me laugh..
    yup. the whole concept of depression is hilarious

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    This decision is based on one ride?
    What's REALLY going on?
    Agreed. OP really needs to talk to someone now or someone who knows OP needs to get on the phone now cause this could be more serious than a bad ride.

If not though, perhaps it's just expectations of the ride not being met. Golf can be like that too. Sometimes it's hard to be happy even if the opposite makes no real sense.

Up In Smoke
    yup. the whole concept of depression is hilarious
    Is this a poor attempt of sarcasm?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I go through this periodically. reading this forum and viewing mtb-related media makes it worse when I see images of people riding bikes with skill I'll never have, in places I'll never visit, on bikes I can't afford. FOMO (fear of missing out) is a real thing that affects a lot of us. I feel the need to answer for my circumstances and struggle to accept things for what they are with contentment.
    I find that this is the case with Strava for me. Just seeing what other people are doing and things like that and feeling that fear of missing out. I actually made a conscious decision to stop using it earlier this week. I'm not really gaining anything from it, and I do think that it's impacting me in the very sense that you're mentioning. We'll see how it goes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I was pretty down this morning but was going to ride which usually helps....if only it would allow me to shut off my mind.
    Rolled into the parking lot and 20 people were huddled up at 7:00 am.
    Now I'm mad because I got my ass up to ride and the trail is jam packed with Covid.

Deviated to another trail and still ride but had no oomph. Didn't care, I was riding my bike.

Sorry you're feeling gloom. Hope it's just a silly thread and not an actual cry for help.

All fat, all the time.
    Stay home, watch TV, drink, go ride bikes.
    2020 is a tough year to save the world.

(This was a joke)

My work didn't slow down, I ate my breakfast and supper on the back of the truck. Joy!

mtbr member
    Thanks, everyone. I didn't expect this many comments.

Mountain biking doesn't contribute to my depression. It usually helps. I ride alone and go to only one trail system because it's near my house and I can't drive. I don't like my bike much. It's a 2013 Salsa Spearfish and it's not my style. I would like a squishy trail bike like I've had in the past, but my friend gave me a really good deal on it and it's better than no bike.

All fat, all the time.
    Do you have a way to get to a new trail? Something you've never ride before.

I usually feel fantastic after trying a brand new trail.

mtbr member
    this year has been depressing for me. it's hard to get motivated to ride, even though riding would help lift me out of the funk. the less I ride, the deeper it gets, and the more difficult it is to get out. it's a downward spiral.

the answer is: get up off your ass and ride. just make yourself do it. the Spearfish is a rad bike. it should not hold you back. it might not be ideal, but if it rolls and it stops and it fits you, it's a good bike.

Cycologist
    I swapped a better and longer travel fork onto my 26er hardtail and went out for a ride and just really wasn't enjoying it. I wondered if it was the fork (though I'm really not picky) and kind of decided it was just the bike and I should get rid of it. But I haven't, though I also haven't ridden that bike again. But I think it was really just my mood for some reason.

Just go out, relax and ride without expectations. Think about the positive things in your life rather than focusing on the negative (granted, there are a lot of negative around now). Maybe ride somewhere where you can just explore and enjoy nature, that always makes me happy.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Thanks, everyone. I didn't expect this many comments.

Mountain biking doesn't contribute to my depression. It usually helps. I ride alone and go to only one trail system because it's near my house and I can't drive. I don't like my bike much. It's a 2013 Salsa Spearfish and it's not my style. I would like a squishy trail bike like I've had in the past, but my friend gave me a really good deal on it and it's better than no bike.
    Gotta mix it up with something else... bike paths, alleyways, parks, beaches, etc. Everyone is in a bit of a funk and "on edge" these days.

Hang in there
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    i listen to podcasts whenever i ride. my body gets a workout, my mind does too
    I also listen to audiobooks or podcasts on road rides. Oddly, whenever I'm talking to someone who agrees road riding gets you in good shape but it's boring, and then I describe my audiobooks, the reaction is uniformly a rejection of the idea. They aren't even going to try it or entertain the notion. It's just unthinkable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have been totally uninspired to ride since the pandemic. the few times that I did ride, I had an OK time. I am likely depressed, just like a lot of us. mental health is a serious concern for all of us right now. my wife and I both are still employed, most of our families are healthy (except aging people, as expected) and we don't have anything to worry about in our immediate lives. but the weight of all of this is really heavy on me and it's put me in a funk lately.

I have a new wheel coming this week after over two months of not riding because the Budget Committee would not validate the purchase until I found a rock-bottom price compromise. that should cheer me up for a while. still, my way of being in the world is to take on the emotional burdens of strangers. it's just how I am wired. I need to allow riding to soothe my soul. it would solve anything, but it will let me forget about it all for a while. it beats drinking.
    "Budget committee." Ha ha. I am fortunate that my wife is also a cyclist and very athletic so she is on board with most of my cycling purchases. I would never buy a multi-thousand dollar bike without consulting her however because marriages are a team sport.

I have had a decrease in my motivation to ride because I decided not to do the Tour Divide this year after training and planning for almost 18 months. Not a lot of motivation to churn away for a hundred miles on boring gravel roads here in Michigan even though I now have a lot more time. The ER where I work saw such a decrease in patients that my employers cut our hours drastically.

But I've redirected to 2021, have another year to train and get in better shape, so I'm feeling better about it.

I find the hardest thing about riding when I'm stressed or pre-occupied with other matters is actually getting out on the road. Once I get on the bike and after the obligatory few miles of aches and pains that makes me wonder why I ride at all it rapidly becomes more enjoyable.

Unpredictable
    I have a brand new bike sitting looking at me. Unboxed and built last night, but I can't go riding because I'm supposed to be moving things from a large storage shed to a smaller one. So I get to the storage facility and the good company seem to have lost the transfer documents since Wednesday. They tell me the shed we arranged is not available, want to make me move stuff further and charge me more. I know how my budget committee will feel about that, so I bail out and just take stuff to the tip instead hoping to get to the bottom of it after having some lunch.

I've been trying to raise the wife for the last 90 minutes, but no answer. Of course there's no answer. She did the paperwork, but she has to help someone else pack and move stuff today. It's a lovely afternoon - 24 degrees C with a gentle breeze and puffy clouds. Guess what's going to happen if I go ride the new bike instead of swapping sheds??? Depressing is a best case scenario! She was already pissed I was buying the bike (apparently a frame failure is no excuse for a new bike) and even more pissed when I told her how much.

Glass half full - she will call, shed drama will be sorted, I'll move stuff and with the car now free of stuff for the tip, the bike will fit in for a ride after the move. The trails are only 3km from the storage lot.

OP, time to explore on your bike. See if you can ride from home to location X via drains, paths, culverts, parks, power line land and just have fun sneaking around for the day. Reset for the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've been off a mountain bike for 2 years, until about a month and a half ago. I sold my previous Full SUS bike (Ibis Ripley) back then and recently got my first hardtail (Trek Roscoe 7). It's made me feel like I just got into it from the beginning I had just moved to Vegas from CALI and figured, why not try something different and NOT spend $5k on a bike seeing as I wasn't sure if i'd be all about getting back into it. Not only is the bike fun, but it also forced me to use my mind more and pick my lines and be more in control of the bike at all times. I found that I was more relaxed on my full sus bikes. I'm actually having more fun on this bike! Also, If I do buy a full-sus in the future, I'll be a much better bike handler that's for sure.

Before I got the bike I would always recall how happy I was to be on a Mountain bike. I've been a road cyclist for 10 years but only into mtb for 6. I was always happiest in the mountains. The views, the peacefulness, the silence and even the sound of the gravel made me happy. I always felt more connected to the earth, more grounded. I ride alone a lot and really enjoy the peace that comes along with it.

Summer is coming into full swing here in Vegas and I have to ride later in the day now, almost nearing sunset. Mid summer I'll likely have to ride in the early mornings to beat the heat. I do archery as well so that might help replace the time.....Do what makes you happy and also - find a way to keep on riding. From a biological standpoint, the endorphins alone should make you less depressed and happier. Like others have said, maybe take a short break and come back into it. I try not to ride when I'm sad or distracted - it's when accidents happen. So there's that as well.

mtbr member
    I have an update for anyone interested. The sun was out but it was only 65 degrees in Utah today. I love this weather. I rode about 20 miles and enjoyed it!

Rippin da fAt
    I have an update for anyone interested. The sun was out but it was only 65 degrees in Utah today. I love this weather. I rode about 20 miles and enjoyed it!
    Now you're cookin'!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Up In Smoke
    Nice! A bike ride saved the day, I can relate

Unpredictable
    Great news. Bikes rock. All of them.

mtbr member
    Love the positivity and feedback on this thread. Nobody outing as a troll. Just get out and ride mentality.

I ride almost daily and not ever session is a blast-sometimes its a grind. Sometimes the most fun is when I leave the gps watch at home and just pedal and maybe stop every little while and watch deer/birds/squirrels etc. Take a few deep breaths and either say ahhhhh or sneeze really hard. Either way better than other lives struggles.

mtbr member
    hell yeah
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    I am finally getting back on the bike this week after weeks of moping around. I got a new rear wheel!
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:51 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Bone View Post
    Sometimes the most fun is when I leave the gps watch at home and just pedal and maybe stop every little while and watch deer/birds/squirrels etc. Take a few deep breaths and either say ahhhhh or sneeze really hard. Either way better than other lives struggles.
    Nailed it^^^^^^^^ I generally have a camera with me in my backpack when I go riding, and find that this opens your eyes to whatís actually around you. Instead of simply head down bum up extreme effort, concentrating only on trying to smash those little numbers on a digital screen
    A few of the things Iíve seen on my pedals
    Botanic-1 by speedygz, on Flickr
    KTM salt by speedygz, on Flickr
    Stone wreck by speedygz, on Flickr
    Crepuscular crops by speedygz, on Flickr
    Sunset by speedygz, on Flickr
    How could you stay depressed when thatís around you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Riding is a great way to improve moral (no matter what you might be going through)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Great to hear!

Did you ride a new/different route?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygz View Post
    Nailed it^^^^^^^^ I generally have a camera with me in my backpack when I go riding, and find that this opens your eyes to whatís actually around you. Instead of simply head down bum up extreme effort, concentrating only on trying to smash those little numbers on a digital screen
    A few of the things Iíve seen on my pedals
    Botanic-1 by speedygz, on Flickr
    KTM salt by speedygz, on Flickr
    Stone wreck by speedygz, on Flickr
    Crepuscular crops by speedygz, on Flickr
    Sunset by speedygz, on Flickr
    How could you stay depressed when thatís around you?
    Really nice pics!!

mtbr member
    I had a good ride tonight.
    I was listening to Toto sing "Africa" and didn't mind the gunblasts from a distance. Some rocks cracked me up. Then I enjoyed vivid memories of a beautiful woman while listening to "Jessie's Girl". It took me a minute to discover I was going only half speed on flat terrain. Later I found myself pedaling to the beat of "Another One Bites the Dust". I almost had time to post this while my sour cream and potatoes were in the microwave.

Rippin da fAt
    I had a good ride tonight.
    I was listening to Toto sing "Africa" and didn't mind the gunblasts from a distance. Some rocks cracked me up. Then I enjoyed vivid memories of a beautiful woman while listening to "Jessie's Girl". It took me a minute to discover I was going only half speed on flat terrain. Later I found myself pedaling to the beat of "Another One Bites the Dust". I almost had time to post this while my sour cream and potatoes were in the microwave.
    It's starting to go in the right direction. Keep adding tunes to a play list for your next ride. You would be surprised at what happens with the right selections.

Some of my ride lists promote wide open throttle and some just a mellow cruise, riding to the tempo and enjoying the flow.

Ride My Bicycle - Queen!

The observation is that your bike is your friend, and takes you on some damn good adventures. Keep on keepin on!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...