I am more sweaty than you, so you yeild... Yep, that's right.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

I am more sweaty than you, so you yeild... Yep, that's right.

So me and the wife are riding the 25 hour race course which uses part of the JEM trail today. We have ridden his trail at least 125+ times and know EVERY inch of it as it happens to be in our backyeard.

Typically if I am solo and its a bit up or down I yield to two or multi bike groups because frankly it takes less effort and does less trail damage if one yeilds than several.. and I'm just a nice guy. Also if someones on a downhill tear with a big ole smile I try not to be a buzzkill and let em rip by if at all possible and way more often than not (as in 99%) we are rewarded with a smile and big THANKS!!

We're having a good day today... we come down the cliff face switch backs and then up out of the riverbed onto the singletrack. I see this guy coming opposite direction totally head down (which tells me he is tired and not looking where he's going)... I start to coast to a stop as this section is up hill slightly for us so no brakes needed and he rides straight up to us and rings his little bell two feet away when we don't yeild. I'm on the trai with the wife right behind me and he has to stop....

I ask.. "was I supposed to pull over for you?", knowing that if its and uphill/downhill thing I would have had the supposed right-a-way per the letter of the IMBA rules.

He replies, I'm climbing, yes."To which I reply.... "Aheem......look again, you're going down hill on this section and had to apply your brakes to stop."

So he looks around and reaches waaaaaaaay into his a$$ and comes up with "well when a trail is undulating it's the rider who's been climbing the most who has the right of way... look at how sweaty I am, it's obvious I have been climbing more"

Seriously... the rider actually said "Look, I am more sweaty than you because I've climbed more, so I have the right of way". This is great entertainment... and honest, I couldn;t make this stuff up. My wife and I made fun of the guy all the way home.... Hey, move I'm more sweaty....no YOU move I'm more sweaty... etc... we just cracked ourselves up.

So remember the new "I am more sweaty than you rule"... or not!
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    So me and the wife are riding the 25 hour race course which uses part of the JEM trail today. We have ridden his trail at least 125+ times and know EVERY inch of it as it happens to be in our backyeard.

Typically if I am solo and its a bit up or down I yield to two or multi bike groups because frankly it takes less effort and does less trail damage if one yeilds than several.. and I'm just a nice guy. Also if someones on a downhill tear with a big ole smile I try not to be a buzzkill and let em rip by if at all possible and way more often than not (as in 99%) we are rewarded with a smile and big THANKS!!

We're having a good day today... we come down the cliff face switch backs and then up out of the riverbed onto the singletrack. I see this guy coming opposite direction totally head down (which tells me he is tired and not looking where he's going)... I start to coast to a stop as this section is up hill slightly for us so no brakes needed and he rides straight up to us and rings his little bell two feet away when we don't yeild. I'm on the trai with the wife right behind me and he has to stop....

I ask.. "was I supposed to pull over for you?", knowing that if its and uphill/downhill thing I would have had the supposed right-a-way per the letter of the IMBA rules.

He replies, I'm climbing, yes."To which I reply.... "Aheem......look again, you're going down hill on this section and had to apply your brakes to stop."

So he looks around and reaches waaaaaaaay into his a$$ and comes up with "well when a trail is undulating it's the rider who's been climbing the most who has the right of way... look at how sweaty I am, it's obvious I have been climbing more"

Seriously... the rider actually said "Look, I am more sweaty than you because I've climbed more, so I have the right of way". This is great entertainment... and honest, I couldn;t make this stuff up. My wife and I made fun of the guy all the way home.... Hey, move I'm more sweaty....no YOU move I'm more sweaty... etc... we just cracked ourselves up.

So remember the new "I am more sweaty than you rule"... or not!
    *sigh*

Too funny. Life is too short. I tend to get into "...no, after you..." exchanges.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    classic!

mtbr member
    Thats outstanding! Being "more sweaty" could just mean he is just fat and out of shape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Too funny. "im more sweaty". Ha!

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Gawd that's hilarious. Nothing finer than have a good laugh along with a good ride.
    Consider the possibilities if you ever meet up with this individual again - make sure you're sweaty to get the right of way.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by msouthall669
    Thats outstanding! Being "more sweaty" could just mean he is just fat and out of shape.
    No... this fellow was no slouch, he was a rider and to his credit he had indeed finished a bit of a climb on a warm day.

I just thought it was funny how to prove his point he brought out the I'm more sweaty than you thing. My brain doesn't work that fast so he gets props for creativity under pressure for sure. Everyone had a good ride (I hope his was good too) and we got to laugh so no harm and no foul.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

p_h
    mtbr member
    Unless I am on a serious climb and am trying super hard not to lose my line or momentum I will yield to anyone. Sometimes its as simple as popping off the trail for a second and other times you have to struggle to find a place to stop. I'm tryna ride for fun out here and if I can safely let you by while continuing my ride so be it. Have a nod or a wave while you're at it. No need to get all grumpy about it like that guy was.
    "Prepare for unforeseen consequences"

mtbr member
    I avoid situations like this by yielding every time...whether I'm climbing or descending.

But seriously?? "I'm sweatier than you" is ridiculous...I'd like him to smell me after a good ride. Good thing about the desert is that nobody's around to tell me I stink!

mtbr member
    Sounds like, since you noticed ahead of time that he was head down, probably tired, etc, that you could have avoided the whole thing by not being a d0uche and yielding.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Sounds like, since you noticed ahead of time that he was head down, probably tired, etc, that you could have avoided the whole thing by not being a d0uche and yielding.
    You are going to cause a rift in the space-time continuum thingie with using logic. sheeeesh.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

lost
    Jun 2010
    If he was clearly more sweaty than you then you should have yielded to him, perhaps even a respectful bow as he then passed by. Sheesh, what were you people thinking?

Stucco Bucket
    Real question is, what size were his tires and how many rings did he have.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ya..that's me, but it's "King Douch#" to you, and don't forget it.
    Last edited by STT GUY; 04-05-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Ha ha ha, really lol, think it mighta been "nachomc", ha ha ha
    Last edited by theMeat; 04-05-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    Round and round we go

thecentralscrutinizer
    That's what I thought the self conscious, self aware, nice guy did. lol
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced SL...Coming Soon

All fat, all the time.
    Geez man, he was SWEATIER than you. Did you at least offer to towel him off? Fan him with your shirt? Come one, I'm pretty sure that's one of the IMBA guidelines....

Haha, funny stuff. If I see someone ahead of time I usually yield if I can, I'm just out to have a fun ride, not racing, don't care if it costs me an extra minute or two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wait what rang his little bell? No one else finds this abnormal and childish?*

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by STSBADL
    Wait what rang his little bell? No one else finds this abnormal and childish?*
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtv2_-2mHck

mtbr member
    I have a bell on just about every bike I own so no. Couldn't care less what people think of it because it works. It is a nice way to say "look out" rather than screaming, "on your left", which assumes people speak English, and know their right from left, and just is not accepted too well by many. I ride often, and even I don't like to be nearly run over by cyclist that doesn't wanna slow down while screaming so for 3 bucks I buy a bell. Doesn't hurt my ego at all and if it did I'd have bigger problems anyway.
    Round and round we go

yeah, uh............bikes
    I see nothing wrong with sweaty man's logic

(i look like i went swimming after some rides)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    It is a nice way to say "look out" rather than screaming, "on your left", which assumes people speak English, and know their right from left, and just is not accepted too well by many.
    Maybe it's just a East coast or southern thing but it would be a site to see someone ringing a bell on the trail around here. It's considered polite to personally interact with other riders on the trail where I'm from. Heck we even stop and talk to complete strangers gasp.
    Yes being that it is an English speaking country I assume other riders speak English if they do not then my words will give them as much warning as a bell assuming they are not deaf. All I was getting at was that it would be considered rude around here I guess things are different elsewhere. I don't like people who shout and nearly run you down either but we don't get many of them arouherby neck of the woods who ride bicycles.

mtbr member
    I'm 'down south' and I use a bell. I don't mean like the ice cream man going down the road, just a single 'bing'. It didn't take me long to realize people seem to only hear 'left' and end up stepping into your path. With the bell I get a positive response and no one freaks out.

It also still allows me to say hi, especially if they are kind on the eyes.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Maybe it's just a East coast or southern thing but it would be a site to see someone ringing a bell on the trail around here. It's considered polite to personally interact with other riders on the trail where I'm from. Heck we even stop and talk to complete strangers gasp.
    Yes being that it is an English speaking country I assume other riders speak English if they do not then my words will give them as much warning as a bell assuming they are not deaf. All I was getting at was that it would be considered rude around here I guess things are different elsewhere. I don't like people who shout and nearly run you down either but we don't get many of them arouherby neck of the woods who ride bicycles.
    The bell doen't take away my ability to speak, even to eastcoasters Gasp. Don't see how it would be rude to ring a bell to let someone know I'm coming no matter what part of the world I'm in but whatever. I guess your trying to make a point, somehow.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I usually ring my bell 50-100 ft away, or as soon as is prudent when I see the other trail user. And I always say hi as I pass. The bell is amazing for making people aware you're approaching and doesn't scare them when they realize suddenly someone is on top of them. Love my bell.

mtbr member
    Geez this is funny. You'd think if he was that sweaty he could just slide right on by.

I usually just yield which usually ends up with both of us off the trail. Apparently quite a few other people also do this.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    I laughed. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Like nachomc said, I use my bell at a distance where verbal warnings would involve a bit too much yelling to sound polite and where a bell doesn't sound annoyingly loud to them

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The bell doen't take away my ability to speak, even to eastcoasters Gasp. Don't see how it would be rude to ring a bell to let someone know I'm coming no matter what part of the world I'm in but whatever. I guess your trying to make a point, somehow.
    Wow started a bell war I was just shocked to hear about a bell being used on a trail is all. Around my way it would feel to the other rider like you where honking your horn at them. Obviously your intent is not to upset other riders I'm just stating how that action would be view around here. I even agreed with you about people who shout things like left and plow past you. The polite thing to do on trails near me is to slow down when approaching and say something along the lines of "would you mind if I pass you on the left up here?" and a quick thank you once your pass is complete. This would not be as friendly of a situation if it started off with a bell being rung on the trails I ride.

That being said I'm happy it works for you and others if it is not offensive to riders where you live and works well enough then why not use it. I will keep that in mind when I take any trips. If you come across someone like me try to not be offended again.

mtbr member
    That being said I'm happy it works for you and others if it is not offensive to riders where you live and works well enough then why not use it. I will keep that in mind when I take any trips. If you come across someone like me try to not be offended again.
    I think it's all in how you ring the bell. If you approach someone quickly from behind and just start ringing your bell like crazy it will probably piss them off. If you ring the bell from a distance, once, slow as you approach the other person (especially hikers, and obviously take direction from equestrians on how to proceed), smile and say hi, the response is great. I am usually thanked by hikers for ringing the bell specifically because I didn't scare the pants off of them (though with some hikers I would prefer to scare their pants off, but whatever).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    With my ninja bike riding skills, the bell works best because when people hear a bell, they think: ice cream or bike. But when they hear a voice, they jump and get freaked out, which makes them mad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Lets not forget...If he was on a 29er then he had the right of way automatically...because its faster than a 26 inch wheeled bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    With my ninja bike riding skills, the bell works best because when people hear a bell, they think: ice cream or bike. But when they hear a voice, they jump and get freaked out, which makes them mad.
    Dude i chased you for like three hours one time hoping to find that danged ice cream truck. Now i just bring a few snow-cones with me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This thread made me chuckle on two different things. Thanks all!

First, the "sweaty" guy comment. Most of the time I must get right of way out of the parking lot and on a hot day- when unloading my bike. I'm that sweaty guy.

Secondly, the bell wars. I did not realize it was such a controversial topic. I've lived in SoCal and now in Colorado. No issues with bells at all. Have them on all my bikes and I have always used them for blind corners and trails with visibility issues. Just a good idea to let people know I'm coming. On a few of my rides I even use a small chime as my "bear bell" to avoid conflict of a different nature. And yes, I still talk to everyone too.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

Never trust a fart
    Sounds like he was bonked and his mind was on the fritz.

Funny stuff.

Rabid Lana Fan
    I use my Hammershmidt crank like a bell. A couple of reverse cranks while it is in overdrive, and even rude hikers who may have become accustomed to ignoring a bell will spin around to see what made that god-awful noise.

It sounds like a 150 pound Marlin pulling line from a giant Penn reel.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    That just made my whole night. Here I am 0130 in the morning at work sitting on break in that fog that usually settles over you mid-shift and I watch this. All I can say is F-ING AWESOME
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Oh and on the whole bell thing. Around here I don't think I have ever heard one while riding single track. I think if I did, I would just get really confused start looking around and crash into the bushes. That would inturn lead to loud currsing and flailing which would be bound to offend someone near by........But in all seriousness I think it is a polite and smart way to let others know you are there. maybe I will be a treand setter in my neck of the woods and get one.
    Just remember,Where ever you go there you are...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    what a jackwagon!
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    I use my Hammershmidt crank like a bell. A couple of reverse cranks while it is in overdrive, and even rude hikers who may have become accustomed to ignoring a bell will spin around to see what made that god-awful noise.

It sounds like a 150 pound Marlin pulling line from a giant Penn reel.
    Yeah, I have Hammerschmidt and do that too. It IS pretty loud. Plus CK hubs now broken-in with that "angry bee" sound. However, I try to stick to trails with very few other users - I really don't need or want some ding-ding bell. No offense to those who like them.

mtbr member
    So, I've seen a lot of ignorance on the trails in the last couple years...and in Colorado, from people who should know better. I'm busting my @$$ trying to climb in the middle ring, and down come a couple of morans on $5,000 bikes. I look up, and I can see they expect me to pull over so as not to interrupt their flow, because, you know, it looks like I'm the out-of-shape weekend warrior that I am and they have nicer bikes than I do.

So what do I do? I stick to the middle of the trail and say "thanks" as they bail off to the side at the last minute. When I hear the comments, I turn around and say, "thanks for yielding to the climber! Have a good one!" and keep going.

Anyone who "just yields all the time" is contributing to the problem. The only time a downhill rider should be given the right of way is when the climber is stopped or the downhill rider somehow indicates they are riding for help, or if they appear out of control (in which case you're just exercising a good sense of self-preservation). Flat or undulating terrain...I'll usually yield if the other party has more riders or if I notice the other rider first and can safely/responsibly pull over before they do.

Sounds like Mr Schweatyballs was just embarassed that he was wrong and tried to make up some bullshiat to have a comeback.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kitts21j
    Oh and on the whole bell thing. Around here I don't think I have ever heard one while riding single track. I think if I did, I would just get really confused start looking around and crash into the bushes. That would inturn lead to loud currsing and flailing which would be bound to offend someone near by........But in all seriousness I think it is a polite and smart way to let others know you are there. maybe I will be a treand setter in my neck of the woods and get one.
    Bells are nice for hikers. Earbuds are the Devil though...I have scared that crap out of a few hikers accidentally who were rocken out and didn;t know I was passing.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabone33
    So, I've seen a lot of ignorance on the trails in the last couple years...and in Colorado, from people who should know better. I'm busting my @$$ trying to climb in the middle ring, and down come a couple of morans on $5,000 bikes. I look up, and I can see they expect me to pull over so as not to interrupt their flow, because, you know, it looks like I'm the out-of-shape weekend warrior that I am and they have nicer bikes than I do.

So what do I do? I stick to the middle of the trail and say "thanks" as they bail off to the side at the last minute. When I hear the comments, I turn around and say, "thanks for yielding to the climber! Have a good one!" and keep going.

Anyone who "just yields all the time" is contributing to the problem. The only time a downhill rider should be given the right of way is when the climber is stopped or the downhill rider somehow indicates they are riding for help, or if they appear out of control (in which case you're just exercising a good sense of self-preservation). Flat or undulating terrain...I'll usually yield if the other party has more riders or if I notice the other rider first and can safely/responsibly pull over before they do.

Sounds like Mr Schweatyballs was just embarassed that he was wrong and tried to make up some bullshiat to have a comeback.

A local trail that we ride a lot (JEM Trail) has a *****in fast flowing downhill run that I pull over for folks on if I am climbing. I by no means feel I am contributing to a problem by helping a rider keep a sh#t-eating grin on thier face.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    I have a bell on just about every bike I own so no. Couldn't care less what people think of it because it works. It is a nice way to say "look out" rather than screaming, "on your left", which assumes people speak English, and know their right from left, and just is not accepted too well by many.
    I think the point was the rider was coming the opposite way and looking the OP straight in the eye when he "rang his little bike bell". So no. In this case I don't think the intention was to warn someone being overtaken from behind. And so yes, a little childish.

Sounds like he might have been a little bonked. Maybe you should have offered him a Gu
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade :)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The event horizon of trail questions. I allow downhill to go by cuz they'll be by me quicker, and being nuts, I like to climb. And I 29, go triple, and do 32 out back. Wear very old clothes with holes in em that I got for free, and like how quick they can stick it up for my buddies. Cheers from WA.

Sweet
    29"erss are faster so they have the right of way, but I yeild to downhill and appreciate the same. Why screw someones flow. Wa.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As no nan says, I also usually yield to the downhill rider, and give a verbal "come on through." Last year while riding Lewis River (Mt. St. Helens) I had a barely under control downhill rider coming toward me fast, and as he approached, it was obvious he didn't see me. I quickly stopped, got to the side of the single track, and yelled "Rider." Of all things, he turned and looked behind him. I believe he thought my voice came from behind him. He plowed right into me, high impact, but luckily neither of us (specifically me) were hurt.

Members who have read this thread: 0