mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Hunter Shoots Mountain Biker Dead (France)

https://road.cc/content/news/249980-...-alps#comments

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Sad, it never ceases to amaze me how people get ďaccidentallyĒ shot by hunters. You are out there hunting a specific species of animal. People in no shape or form even on a bike resemble any species of 4 legged big game animal. The lighting is always the excuse. Still thereís no reason to shoot at something you havenít positively identified as your hunted species. Next excuse is adrenaline, sorry it doesnít fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Formerly of Kent

Hunter Shoots Mountain Biker Dead (France)

ďAccidentĒ.

Not sure how you can sight in on a human being, on a bike, ID your target affirmatively, make sure you are clear behind the target, and then pull the trigger without realizing itís a HUMAN youíre about to shoot.

Iíd bet the hunter was under the influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    ďAccidentĒ.

Not sure how you can sight in on a human being, on a bike, ID your target affirmatively, make sure you are clear behind the target, and then pull the trigger without realizing itís a HUMAN youíre about to shoot.

Pretty much. IMO, ANYTIME a hunter shoots someone else, they should be prosecuted. If nothing else, they were negligent in failing to properly identify their target, or were negligent in pointing their firearm at another person.

mtbr member
    If only the MTBer was carrying he could have defended himself...
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Likely under the influence, and once it set in or was explained to the hunter then shock.

Main trail where I ride is 15 miles wooded area, count park. This year, deer have been all over the place. Darting out right in front if me, or at a distance. Not once have I thought they were bikers.

Maybe I should start drinking before I ride?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    A large part of hunting is not just identifying the animal, but planning the shot and having the shot present itself, because it's no good to just wound an animal, that is not ethical by any standards. So it has to be close enough and you need a good enough line of sight to place the shot where it will kill the animal, which means there are a lot of encounters where hunters never make a shot. This makes it all the more egregious in this case.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    If only the MTBer was carrying he could have defended himself...
    All the more reason to use a Kevlar Awesome Strap.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    All the more reason to use a Kevlar Awesome Strap.

Yes, and located in the right location for quick access.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Pretty much. IMO, ANYTIME a hunter shoots someone else, they should be prosecuted. If nothing else, they were negligent in failing to properly identify their target, or were negligent in pointing their firearm at another person.
    +1
    Absolutely no excuse for an act so egregious.

mtbr member
    As a hunter I find this criminally negligent.

Quote Originally Posted by FLYINW View Post
    As a hunter I find this criminally negligent.
    Yep, gives all responsible hunters a bad rep.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Agreed.

mtbr member
    Honestly, I made a stupid joke but this is really terrible. As a hunter, you should always know what you are shooting at before you shoot. That guy should be locked up for this.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    If nothing else, they were negligent in failing to properly identify their target, or were negligent in pointing their firearm at another person.
    You know how far a 30-06 round goes? You are leaving out the most common way someone is hit by a hunter's round.

I am absolutely not defending anyone, you should still know what's behind your target, but many in here seem to be assuming hunters are always shooting at whatever they hit... That's not always the case. Misidentifying a mtber as a deer and shooting them is indefensible, but a freak accident with a round that went a quarter mile (or more) past its target is not the same thing.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    You know how far a 30-06 round goes? You are leaving out the most common way someone is hit by a hunter's round.

I am absolutely not defending anyone, you should still know what's behind your target, but many in here seem to be assuming hunters are always shooting at whatever they hit... That's not always the case. Misidentifying a mtber as a deer and shooting them is indefensible, but a freak accident with a round that went a quarter mile (or more) past its target is not the same thing.
    Still negligent. I know people who have lived in places with so many hunters shooting without a clear backstop that they hid in their basements during opening weekend at least, because their homes got shot up on an annual basis

But we don't even know what firearm was used at this point.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hunter Shoots Mountain Biker Dead (France)-pijercmss-2t.jpg
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Well, that's terrible. In GA we have a trail that's closed during hunting season.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Still negligent. I know people who have lived in places with so many hunters shooting without a clear backstop that they hid in their basements during opening weekend at least, because their homes got shot up on an annual basis

But we don't even know what firearm was used at this point.

I agree, it's still negligent. From what I understand this is part of why many hunters choose to hunt from a stand; their rounds are all heading downward if they miss. There are certainly ways to keep this in mind and avoid these accidents.

My point was to those who seem to assume this guy drew sights on a mountain biker and said 'sweet a deer!' and shot. That's not fair to assume here, or in most cases where someone is shot by a hunter. Many posters here do not seem to be aware of this and I felt they were unfairly castigating hunters as a result.

mtbr member
    I really worry about that when I hear gun-shots on the trail. What's to prevent hunters from going full "10-Little Indians - Agatha Christie novel" and shooting a person. They can claim it was an accident.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I really worry about that when I hear gun-shots on the trail. What's to prevent hunters from going full "10-Little Indians - Agatha Christie novel" and shooting a person. They can claim it was an accident.
    What's stopping them? Nothing. What's in place to determine if that is what happened and hold that hunter accountable? Plenty.

They can claim it was an accident all they want, but the facts better match up... Even if it was an accident that doesn't mean they won't be held accountable - both criminally and civilly. Most hunters know this, I would think.

I agree, it's still negligent. From what I understand this is part of why many hunters choose to hunt from a stand; their rounds are all heading downward if they miss. There are certainly ways to keep this in mind and avoid these accidents.

My point was to those who seem to assume this guy drew sights on a mountain biker and said 'sweet a deer!' and shot. That's not fair to assume here, or in most cases where someone is shot by a hunter. Many posters here do not seem to be aware of this and I felt they were unfairly castigating hunters as a result.
    Totally agree, many havenít taken in cincideration of the back drop. As you stated about how far a high power rifle round travels. Many on this board are from back east USA where shotguns with deer slugs are used not high powered rifles. Quite a big difference in travel. Thatís the very reason many congested areas in the east are regulated to only shotguns with deer slugs. To prevent distance the round can travel. Most likely this could have been the case the person was hit from a stray round. The way the article reads though it sounds more like the shooter aimed at the victim and fired without first identifying his target. A very vague article thst doesnít state what type of firearm was used or how far away the victim was. And if he was fired directly at or hit by a stray bullet.

mtbr member

many in here seem to be assuming hunters are always shooting at whatever they hit... That's not always the case. Misidentifying a mtber as a deer and shooting them is indefensible, but a freak accident with a round that went a quarter mile (or more) past its target is not the same thing.
    If the end result is a dead person they are exactly the same thing regarding responsibly. An errant bullet is not a "freak accident".
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Totally agree, many havenít taken in cincideration of the back drop. As you stated about how far a high power rifle round travels. Many on this board are from back east USA where shotguns with deer slugs are used not high powered rifles. Quite a big difference in travel. Thatís the very reason many areas in the east are regulated to only shotguns with deer slugs. To prevent distance the round can travel. Most likely this could have been the case the person was hit from a stray round. The way the article reads though it sounds more like the shooter aimed at the victim and fired without first identifying his target. It doesnít state what type of firearm was used or how far away the victim was.
    if you read the comments on the article, some people are saying that shotguns are common hunting firearms in that area. I wouldn't be surprised, as most of western Europe has a fairly high population density, too.

I have my dad's old 12ga shotgun he used for hunting in Indiana, where at least across most of the state, hunting with rifles is prohibited. I'm familiar with those sorts of laws. Where I live now, however, rifles are permitted for deer and black bears, at least, though there are plenty of mountains to stop stray rounds from going all that far. Still, I'm not sure I'd necessarily want to hunt with a rifle here, anyway. Most areas are so brushy that you can't see all that far, anyway.

if you read the comments on the article, some people are saying that shotguns are common hunting firearms in that area. I wouldn't be surprised, as most of western Europe has a fairly high population density, too.

I have my dad's old 12ga shotgun he used for hunting in Indiana, where at least across most of the state, hunting with rifles is prohibited. I'm familiar with those sorts of laws. Where I live now, however, rifles are permitted for deer and black bears, at least, though there are plenty of mountains to stop stray rounds from going all that far. Still, I'm not sure I'd necessarily want to hunt with a rifle here, anyway. Most areas are so brushy that you can't see all that far, anyway.
    The main problem here is the article is very vague. It doesnít state what firearm was used. How far the shot was. If the hunter mis-identified his target and shot directly at him or if the victim was hit by a stray bullet.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:12 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    The main problem here is the art article is very vague. It doesnít state what firearm was used. How far the shot was. If the hunter mis-identified his target and shot directly at him or if the victim was hit by a stray bullet.
    Indeed. Some comments also mention that it's REALLY common in France to go hunting after drinking wine at lunch, and that MANY hunters every year are shot by other hunters, with alcohol being an influence at least some of the time. Some of those comments make it sound like hunter safety is pretty poor there.

Formerly of Kent
    Iíll never forget riding past (on the road) watching a group of older guys zero a Remington 700 from a folding table. Into a brush pile filled with rocks and broken concrete. Half a mile from an open USFS shooting range. Shooting at an angle that, depending on caliber, would put the SDZs of their rounds on a busy four lane divided highway, just west of a college town. Brilliant!

Iíll also never forget a guy hitting me with birdshot, from a shot he took on our houseís property.

Or the bullet riddled USFS map stand, shot in such a way that the rounds would drop down onto a bunch of trails and campsites.

Hereís my point: if you canít engineer a safe shot, you shouldnít be taking it. Some people either donít know or donít care how to do that. The lives of other people simply donít matter to them.

Death from Below.

A great mixture, guns and alcohol.

Upcyclist
    Armed and Hammered
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    I thought the drunks with shotguns on the Continent were mostly after ducks

passed out in your garden
    Maybe the rider should've ducked

guns suck....
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Shooting mountain bikers should be illegal.

Bikesexual
    And this why I ride on the road.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Armed and Hammered
    Lol

Get stopped mid field and issued a AAH ticket.

Hate to joke in such a sad thread.

No known cure
    The main problem here is the art article is very vague. It doesnít state what firearm was used. How far the shot was. If the hunter mis-identified his target and shot directly at him or if the victim was hit by a stray bullet.
    Or if it was an E bike.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Bikesexual
    Hate to joke in such a sad thread.
    I know, I should have thought that through.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I think several of us have had a few off the cuff moments in here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I agree, it's still negligent. From what I understand this is part of why many hunters choose to hunt from a stand; they are lazy and they lay out the deer-feed so the deer will come to them
    Fixed that for ya...from Texas.

I don't really care one way or the other if people hunt, I don't, but it's not all that different from fishing, which I do some. I have many friends who hunt and they all take great care in what they do and uphold the hunter's ethics, so I respect them for that and how they take great care to do it right.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    Well, that's terrible. In GA we have a trail that's closed during hunting season.
    If you're talking about Altoona Creek, it is bow hunting only. I stopped and talked to a couple of hunters hiking out a couple of weeks ago after 10:00, hunting was restricted to daybreak until 10:00am. I think most of the trails there are fully closed Nov-Jan; they said one trail remains open, maybe Turtleback since it's on the other side of the road? They said they had seen a couple of deer but didn't get a shot. I rode on down the trail and came across a doe that I would have had a great shot at. I think she had an Apple Watch strapped to one of her legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Fixed that for ya...from Texas.

I don't really care one way or the other if people hunt, I don't, but it's not all that different from fishing, which I do some. I have many friends who hunt and they all take great care in what they do and uphold the hunter's ethics, so I respect them for that and how they take great care to do it right.
    Baiting game is illegal in many states.. Thats not why they hunt in a stand..

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Iíll never forget riding past (on the road) watching a group of older guys zero a Remington 700 from a folding table. Into a brush pile filled with rocks and broken concrete.
    Rifle rounds will basically turn to dust if they hit something like rock or concrete at anything other than a slight skimming angle. Any pieces left will be small and not go far.

This story makes me wonder if something else happened because a stray shot has a very tiny chance of hitting anyone, and if he can't tell a human from a boar then something very serious is wrong. Both seem pretty unlikely.

Not helpful.
    And this why I ride on the road.
    Most offensive thing in this thread, so far.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    Baiting game is illegal in many states.. Thats not why they hunt in a stand..
    In Texas, it absolutely is legal, at least in some ways. It's EXTREMELY common there for people to plant some food crop that deer like, oftentimes in utility right-of-ways, and ripens right before or during hunting season. Most hunting is done on private land in TX, and this is done on private land.

In other states, there are ways around the law. For example, in the midwest, hunters like to set up stands at the edges of freshly-harvested corn/soybean fields because the deer come to eat what gets dropped. Even though the hunter didn't drop the bait, the effect is the same.

Using a blind/stand doesn't really work unless you have a reasonable suspicion that your quarry will be coming by that spot. And it absolutely is less work to hunt this way than to stalk animals. Stalking also doesn't work so well when hunters are crammed into small pieces of land, either. I'd say that stationary hunting methods are more reinforced by that than anything else.

Tree stands are usually set up in thick wooded areas right next to game trails. The deer and other critters use these trails to get around.

mtbr member
    Is baiting an animal you're going to harvest and eat bad?
    Seems like a safe low impact way to accomplish an end goal. At least for deer and other populations that are out of control due to no predators. For bear, wolves, trophy hunts, etc. I have the exact opposite opinion. What really kills me is those cyanide bombs paid for by your tax dollars, I mean WTF!

mtbr member
    Planting food plots is (legally) different than baiting. Placing a concentrated pile of food (corn, apples or similar) is baiting. In Wisconsin it is illegal for deer but legal for bear. Why illegal for deer? In part it makes it less sporting, but there is a new reason. CWD, chronic wasting disease can be passed through fecal matter. Deer eating from one big pile tend to poop near that pile. Other deer drawn in to feed could ingest the fecal matter of an infected deer. With a "food plot" the food source is spread out over a large area and the concentration of fecal matter is reduced.

Hunters shooting cyclists is darn rare. To reduce risk:

1.) Don't ride in France.
    2.) Don't ride at dawn or dusk in hunting areas
    3.) Wear bright colors, preferably state approved hunting colors (eg blaze orange)
    4.) Avoid hunting areas during gun season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Here's a story from Maine in 1988
    I'm glad attitudes have changed drastically since then

https://newengland.com/today/living/...ory/karenwood/

mtbr member
    99.999% of hunters would be horrified if they shot someone. The vast majority hunt in a safe manner. You are far more likely to be killed my some jackwagon texting while driving.

To help your odds of being safe, be seen. Check this out:

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    In Texas, it absolutely is legal, at least in some ways. It's EXTREMELY common there for people to plant some food crop that deer like, oftentimes in utility right-of-ways, and ripens right before or during hunting season. Most hunting is done on private land in TX, and this is done on private land.

In other states, there are ways around the law. For example, in the midwest, hunters like to set up stands at the edges of freshly-harvested corn/soybean fields because the deer come to eat what gets dropped. Even though the hunter didn't drop the bait, the effect is the same.

Using a blind/stand doesn't really work unless you have a reasonable suspicion that your quarry will be coming by that spot. And it absolutely is less work to hunt this way than to stalk animals. Stalking also doesn't work so well when hunters are crammed into small pieces of land, either. I'd say that stationary hunting methods are more reinforced by that than anything else.
    You don't need bait or a food source to pattern animals. There are also large swaths of the country where stalking is not possible due to terrain. Even before the common use of stands still hunting was favored over stalking in those areas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Planting food plots is (legally) different than baiting. Placing a concentrated pile of food (corn, apples or similar) is baiting. In Wisconsin it is illegal for deer but legal for bear. Why illegal for deer? In part it makes it less sporting, but there is a new reason. CWD, chronic wasting disease can be passed through fecal matter. Deer eating from one big pile tend to poop near that pile. Other deer drawn in to feed could ingest the fecal matter of an infected deer. With a "food plot" the food source is spread out over a large area and the concentration of fecal matter is reduced.

Hunters shooting cyclists is darn rare. To reduce risk:

1.) Don't ride in France.
    2.) Don't ride at dawn or dusk in hunting areas
    3.) Wear bright colors, preferably state approved hunting colors (eg blaze orange)
    4.) Avoid hunting areas during gun season.
    I'm thinking exploding populations is far bigger contributor to wasting disease etc. They are herd animals and group together naturally.

mtbr member
    ďAccidentĒ.

In a perfect world that would make sense. Hunting is far from perfect. Thatís why Hunting accidents happen all the time. And depending on the game being hunted, there is no time to identify, itís more of a reaction.

On my first bird hunting trip, we were covering a ravine. When the birds shot out, so did my buddy, who followed the birds which led them into my path. Buck shot scattering all around me. Shit is going to happen when you have a bunch of guys wondering around in the forrrest with rifles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    In a perfect world that would make sense. Hunting is far from perfect. Thatís why Hunting accidents happen all the time. And depending on the game being hunted, there is no time to identify, itís more of a reaction.

On my first bird hunting trip, we were covering a ravine. When the birds shot out, so did my buddy, who followed the birds which led them into my path. Buck shot scattering all around me. Shit is going to happen when you have a bunch of guys wondering around in the forrrest with rifles.
    Buck shot?

Seriously though, being occasionally peppered is a fact of life when bird hunting on public land. It's also harmless when coming down from the sky. Now, if it hasn't reached maximum altitude and started falling that's different than being peppered.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Most offensive thing in this thread, so far.
    I did digress.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Combat Wombat
    99.999% of hunters would be horrified if they shot someone. The vast majority hunt in a safe manner. You are far more likely to be killed my some jackwagon texting while driving.
    Spot on BlueCheesehead. I grew up in NW Pennsylvania, where deer season was practically a national holiday and while I have crossed paths with a few knuckleheads over the years, they were far and few. On that note, I have never felt like I was going into harm's way when I stepped out into the woods with other hunters.

What does feel dangerous.....riding my motorcycle on public roads. Nearly every person behind the wheel with a smart phone, is a far greater risk to my life than the majority of hunters out wondering in the woods carrying high power rifles.

mtbr member

I live in the Midwest. Come from a family where my father is an avid hunter. He doesn't have a single stand on a treeline at the edge of a field. Spends plenty of time figuring out their traffic ways, which direction they move at what time of day, etc. Spends just as much time studying their patterns as he does sitting in the stand. He does also drive deer, but it's his least favorite and obviously much more dangerous as you pointed out.

Now, that's not to detract from your point. And I'm aware that baiting isn't illegal in all states.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    He doesn't have a single stand on a treeline at the edge of a field.
    Just because he doesn't, doesn't mean it's not extremely common. You see those stands along roadsides overlooking fields pretty regularly.

My father was an avid hunter and never hunted that way, either. That said, he hunted public land that got pretty packed during the short hunting season. His method was that he'd spend some weeks before opening day just scouting for a good location near where deer obviously traveled, and then when he'd actually go out to hunt, he'd sit at the base of a tree overlooking his area. He'd usually sit in a spot where he was looking/aiming downslope, therefore making it easy to identify what was behind his target.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post

Hunting accidents happen all the time? Considering how many people are out hunting in any given season the number is actually pretty damn low. Also it is never a reaction, or shouldn't be at least. Any responsible hunter would never fire without a positive identification... Do you really believe otherwise?

The fact that you then go on to tell a story about your friends hunting birds with buck shot (and then reference rifles) tells me you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Glad to see you're still being you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hunting is like biking. there is more than one way to do it and more than one type. But mtbr is one of the best sites I have ever came across for sterotyping.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Seems like a safe low impact way to accomplish an end goal. At least for deer and other populations that are out of control due to no predators. For bear, wolves, trophy hunts, etc. I have the exact opposite opinion. What really kills me is those cyanide bombs paid for by your tax dollars, I mean WTF!
    Itís illegal in most states due to the unsportsmanlike challenge. The idea it to give the quarry a fighting chance at avoiding hunters. And to save some wildlife for future generations of humans to enjoy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Itís illegal in most states due to the unsportsmanlike challenge. The idea it to give the quarry a fighting chance at avoiding hunters. And to save some wildlife for future generations of humans to enjoy.
    It's not most states, some would be a more accurate representation.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Buck shot?

Seriously though, being occasionally peppered is a fact of life when bird hunting on public land. It's also harmless when coming down from the sky. Now, if it hasn't reached maximum altitude and started falling that's different than being peppered.

I grew up hunting. My dad was a huge hunter for years. I gave it up in my mid 20ís Iím now mid 50ís, my family continued on doing it. Some still do. So, I know a little bit about the sport in most all disaplines. I moved out west to Colorado and continued on with the sport before giving it up.

Enough of that jibber jabber, back to why I quoted you. When I was about 13 years old and on the cusp of getting a real rifle and a shotgun to get out with my dad and brother. I was an avid tweety bird hunter with a pellet gun. I was in upstate NY and it was opening day of pheasant season. Back in the 70ís pheasants were a huge resource in most states. The populations have dwindled significantly since then.

Anyway it was opening day of pheasant season and I was out hunting little birds. I stopped to rest in a hedgerow of trees. On both sides of the hedgerow were wheat fields full of pheasants. As Iím sitting in this hedgerow leaning up against a huge Elm tree I hear two pheasant hunters and their dog working the field behind me. No big deal I was pretty used to the sport.

As Iím sitting there a pheasant takes to the air and the hunters start shooting. They were shooting in my direction. The buckshot sprayed the backside of the tree I was leaning against and all and leaves. I could hear the BBís going through the leaves. I jumped to my feet screaming ďstop shooting, Im right hereĒ. They stopped and yelled an apology and asked if I was alright? I yelled back ďI was fineĒ they were still a good 100í or more from me. I turned and got the hell out of there. Pretty traumatic thing to go through as a 12 year old but I continued on without issue. Growing up around it kinda hardened me to what the possibilities are, I guess. That, and being trained by my dad about hunter safety over and over and over. Also going through hunter safety classes back then.

A friend of mine in my early teens was hunting deer back east with a shotgun. He tripped and the gun fired. The deer slug went right through his wrist. Iíll always remember that scar growing up.

I had another friend years later. He must have been mid 20ís who was practicing quick draw [the old west style] with a .44 Magnum revolver. Pretty stupid thing to do. After so many successful draws and shots the inevitable happened. As he was pulling the pistol out of the holster he pulled the trigger and the .44 mag bullet entered his thigh and exited the bottom of his foot. Unbelievable that he didnít sustain more than nerve damage in the end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Anyway it was opening day of pheasant season and I was out hunting little birds. I stopped to rest in a hedgerow of trees. On both sides of the hedgerow were wheat fields full of pheasants. As Iím sitting in this hedgerow leaning up against a huge Elm tree I hear two pheasant hunters and their dog working the field behind me. No big deal I was pretty used to the sport.

As Iím sitting there a pheasant takes to the air and the hunters start shooting. They were shooting in my direction. The buckshot sprayed the backside of the tree I was leaning against and all and leaves. I could hear the BBís going through the leaves. I jumped to my feet screaming ďstop shooting, Im right hereĒ. They stopped and yelled an apology and asked if I was alright? I yelled back ďI was fineĒ they were still a good 100í or more from me. I turned and got the hell out of there. Pretty traumatic thing to go through as a 12 year old but I continued on without issue. Growing up around it kinda hardened me to what the possibilities are I guess. That, and being trained by my dad about hunter safety over and over and over. Also going through hunter safety classes back then.
    First, it's almost guaranteed to not be buckshot when hunting pheasants. Second, while it sucks it's a fact of public land bird hunting. To hunt the birds guns are pointed upwards. Luckily the pellets don't have enough energy after climbing and falling to do any damage. No responsible person would ever intentionally pepper someone but in no way shape or form can it be fully avoided due to the nature of the sport and the fact that the land is public.

First, it's almost guaranteed to not be buckshot when hunting pheasants. Second, while it sucks it's a fact of public land bird hunting. To hunt the birds guns are pointed upwards. Luckily the pellets don't have enough energy after climbing and falling to do any damage. No responsible person would ever intentionally pepper someone but in no way shape or form can it be fully avoided due to the nature of the sport and the fact that the land is public.

I meant bird shot. If I remember right size 6 is what we used and most common back then. Iíve hunted geese with double .00 buckshot. Too many years have past, sorry.

And yes I understand now and then that it wasnít intentional. Just telling the story and the possibilities of accidental damage are real.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Seems like a safe low impact way to accomplish an end goal. At least for deer and other populations that are out of control due to no predators. For bear, wolves, trophy hunts, etc.
    Like riding an E-bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's not most states, some would be a more accurate representation.

Yep, they use automated feeders in Texas. Freedom feeders.

Barely in control
    Texas instituted an education course requirement about 30 years ago that is correlated with a significant reduction in hunting accidents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Like riding an E-bike.
    I really think that depends on your objective. I'd rather a guy plink a white tail from his front porch in the NE, where they are ubiquitous, to put clean meat on the table vs tearing up the backcountry in NM with a side by side in hopes of a Pronghorn which seems common practice now.

mtbr member
    Dang. That stinks.

I'm surprised the guy didn't try to surrender, being French.

mtbr member
    I know people who have lived in places ... that they hid in their basements... because their homes got shot up on an annual basis

Chicago? (Sorry, it just popped to mind)

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Dang. That stinks.

I'm surprised the guy didn't try to surrender, being French.
    Too soon man, too soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hunters and mountain bikers shouldn't be anywhere near each other. There's no way in hell I would ride in an area with active hunting.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Abox View Post
    Hunters and mountain bikers shouldn't be anywhere near each other. There's no way in hell I would ride in an area with active hunting.
    Like...

A National Forest?

Death from Below.

You probably have many times and never even knew it. Itís not like itís a constant sound of gunfire going off. Most days hunting big game a shot is never fired. Plus the hunting is in the early morning hours or right before dark. The hunters are usually in their spot and being quiet before most ever hit the trail.

mtbr member
    Never like reading about hunters and bikers. Deer season means many less trails to ride and ALL trails ridden in Blaze Orange for me.

Donít really enjoy the Sunday rides either, as I know there are poachers on the private land.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You probably have many times and never even knew it.
    Would have to be poaching...I really don't ride on trails where gunfire is allowed. Nothing against hunting, just don't want to argue right of way with a bullet.

since 4/10/2009
    Chicago? (Sorry, it just popped to mind)
    Rural PA

mtbr member
    Not to detract from the fact that a guy got shot dead here, but have you seen this interesting turn of events in regard to the guy riding a bike?...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...box=1539772376

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Not to detract from the fact that a guy got shot dead here, but have you seen this interesting turn of events in regard to the guy riding a bike?...

Crazy, or crazy lady. Heís not here to defend himself now. Wonder why it wasnít brought up before his death. Maybe it was, the plot thickens.

since 4/10/2009
    Would have to be poaching...I really don't ride on trails where gunfire is allowed. Nothing against hunting, just don't want to argue right of way with a bullet.
    You must live a pretty sheltered life. So many trails on public land where hunting is permitted. Likely most of the best ones. There are so many hunting seasons that chances are, you've ridden in the vicinity of hunters at some point in your life and never knew it.

since 4/10/2009
    Crazy, or crazy lady. Heís not here to defend himself now. Wonder why it wasnít brought up before his death. Maybe it was, the plot thickens.
    After reading the article...it sounds like it WAS brought up in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the reasons he ended up living outside of Great Britain.

After reading the article...it sounds like it WAS brought up in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the reasons he ended up living outside of Great Britain.
    Ah, missed that the first go around.

mtbr member
    Karma?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Well, there's a twist. For the mom of the deceased to say to the hunter, "You aimed well." Is pretty telling.

Maybe the bullet had "Karma" engraved on it.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Karma?
    Yep, could it be the shooter was in the know of his escapades, just saying.

Chuck you Ninja posted me. Great minds think alike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You must live a pretty sheltered life. So many trails on public land where hunting is permitted. Likely most of the best ones.
    I definitely don't ride the best ones. My MTB itch is pretty easily scratched.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post

wow, makes one wonder if it really was just an accident......
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    How long until the movie?

No good in rock gardens..

To help your odds of being safe, be seen. Check this out:

Spot on.

Motorists are a threat to life and limb, on a daily basis.

I hunt hogs on dirt bikes - it can get very fast and dynamic.

Our rule is, everyone wears blaze orange. It can be seen a long way off.

I rode through a fox drive one time on public land - those guys all wore blaze orange vests too.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Texas instituted an education course requirement about 30 years ago that is correlated with a significant reduction in hunting accidents.
    PA has the same. It was pretty much a right of passage for any kid growing up in rural Pennsylvania in the 80s.

"Basic Hunter-Trapper Education (HTE) By law, all first-time hunters and trappers, regardless of age, must successfully complete Hunter-TrapperEducation training before they can buy a Pennsylvania hunting or trapping license."

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Bizarre turn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    Our trails are closed for the two weeks of firearms season, but not during archery season. Blaze orange or some kind of hi-viz is always a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    Our trails are closed for the two weeks of firearms season, but not during archery season. Blaze orange or some kind of hi-viz is always a good idea.
    Choosing the correct helmet for the time of year can be crucial.

Hunter Shoots Mountain Biker Dead (France)-a4a1d522-e31a-46cd-a26e-0568ba4ca94d.jpeg

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Choosing the correct helmet for the time of year can be crucial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4A1D522-E31A-46CD-A26E-0568BA4CA94D.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	1221109
    One of those "Don't be that guy" moments, me thinks.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Rachel Atherton posted on Instagram about this guy, sounds like she knows him and speaks highly of him...

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Rachel Atherton posted on Instagram about this guy, sounds like she knows him and speaks highly of him...
    Seems like she was unaware of his personal details, if true.

mtbr member
    I knew someone for 25 years that is now spending the rest of his life in prison for being a similar kind of douche bag the mother says her son was. Prior to the truth being known I, and his community, would have spoken highly of him too...

since 4/10/2009
    I knew someone for 25 years that is now spending the rest of his life in prison for being a similar kind of douche bag the mother says her son was. Prior to the truth being known I, and his community, would have spoken highly of him too...
    Yup, people like that are oftentimes very good at hiding certain details when they want to.

passed out in your garden
    Scumbag can suck sh!t then, death was too quick.

(if its true)
    always mad and usually drunk......