The HT place welcomes you- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

We the people ... The HT place welcomes you

Fat bikes, Ebikes, +bikes have their forum.
    Please make this thread our place for dicussing, asking questions, etc...
    There is no need to mention your love for your FS, no need to turn this in some debate like flat pedals or not.

Sneaker man
    ugh, I rode my HT yesterday, i shouldn't have, i'm not built for riding ht's any more! I love them, but hurts too much.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    ugh, I rode my HT yesterday, i shouldn't have, i'm not built for riding ht's any more! I love them, but hurts too much.
    The last 2 years i enjoyed a 29er 100 mm and santa brought me a cool HT 120 mm on 27.5x3.0 it is a smooth one. For me that is plenty but my jumps are more 6 in than 6 feet.

Sneaker man
    Yeah, getting over some back issues from years ago, and currently some ankle issues that the physio is doing wonders for... at the moment have 3 HT's (all 26), 1 aluminium that's brutal, but awesome fun to ride, and old Ti bike, that's more comfortable but not aw much fun (old school for old school trails, it great) and a scanduim frame that's somewhere in between (just getting ressurected after being retired 10 years ago, so not really sure how it goes, only done a few short rides on it.

mbtr member
    Yeah, getting over some back issues from years ago, and currently some ankle issues that the physio is doing wonders for... at the moment have 3 HT's (all 26), 1 aluminium that's brutal, but awesome fun to ride, and old Ti bike, that's more comfortable but not aw much fun (old school for old school trails, it great) and a scanduim frame that's somewhere in between (just getting ressurected after being retired 10 years ago, so not really sure how it goes, only done a few short rides on it.
    Sounds like all your hardtails are brontosauruses. Modern geo and a proper fork is a nice addition to a FS bike, but it makes hardtails sing. If you get a chance, give one a good proper test ride. They have a lot of fun to offer. My favorite bikes are hardtails, and i'd rather walk than ride an old one.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Sounds like all your hardtails are brontosauruses. Modern geo and a proper fork is a nice addition to a FS bike, but it makes hardtails sing. If you get a chance, give one a good proper test ride. They have a lot of fun to offer. My favorite bikes are hardtails, and i'd rather walk than ride an old one.
    Oh they're old, 96 GT Xizang, 03 Yeti ARC, 08 GT Zaskar reissue, but I love them, they are great to ride, all different, it's more that I'm a bit broken...or more lardy and unfit to really get the most out of them, it punishes me too much. If I had the choice I'd prefer to ride a HT

mbtr member
    Oh they're old, 96 GT Xizang, 03 Yeti ARC, 08 GT Zaskar reissue, but I love them, they are great to ride, all different, it's more that I'm a bit broken...or more lardy and unfit to really get the most out of them, it punishes me too much. If I had the choice I'd prefer to ride a HT
    Yeah. Hyperbole is fun, and the best norba era bikes are fun, but we should both set our favorite tools aside. I couldn't ride those old bikes on rides when others are using modern equipment; my body couldn't take it. My main ride is a 2x9 26'er hardtail with fairly modern geometry and the best modern components. 1210mm wheelbase. Fatigue isn't a problem when it's set up correctly, but that window is a bit smaller than it is on a FS. I can't keep up with equivalent riders on FS bikes if it's chunky, but it's 100% as fun on the descents and still has that hardtail frantic-ness and demands an active riding style. I hit some big lines on it, but they're stuff i've nailed on my FS. Overall, i'm a mid-pack rider on my hardtail, and i'm a mid-pack rider on my FS.

On climbs the bike is plain-old superior. It's heavy-ish, and the steering is relatively slow, but i can sit centered on the saddle and steer and mete out power more precisely. I save energy by keeping my body calm and not bouncing myself over the terrain.

I don't think your hardtail days are behind you! You just need a modern tool.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well it is to bad we are not living close. I would lend you my HT 120 mm with 27.5x3.0 on 40 mm, at 61 i feel like i can ride it for the next 30 years. It is just an Alu bike, 2017, i am sure u could find one on a small budget. About 6 months ago i sold a 2000 HT 27 speeds still in great shape, i still use it s saddle, i just needed space.

slow
    The efficiency and trail feedback from a HT are two of my main reasons for riding them, but I also prefer them for the simplicity. I don't want to deal with the additional maintenance of pivots and a shock. After spending 1 or 2 seasons with my FS bikes, I have always sold them and returned to my HTs.
    About 25-30% of the time I do cheat a bit by riding a soft tail. It rides like a hard tail and has the same low-maintenance, but has about an inch of pivotless travel at the rear axle to take the edge off in the big chunk or for a long day in the saddle during an endurance event.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    The efficiency and trail feedback from a HT are two of my main reasons for riding them, but I also prefer them for the simplicity. I don't want to deal with the additional maintenance of pivots and a shock. After spending 1 or 2 seasons with my FS bikes, I have always sold them and returned to my HTs.
    About 25-30% of the time I do cheat a bit by riding a soft tail. It rides like a hard tail and has the same low-maintenance, but has about an inch of pivotless travel at the rear axle to take the edge off in the big chunk or for a long day in the saddle during an endurance event.
    I started about 3 years ago and i think i have never read nor heard about them. Are they just old bikes not sold anymore?
    Around Montreal, Quebec i know 2 guys with thudbusters on their fatbike for the problem about people walking in the trails. Twice last season i used a gel cover to absorb a bit.
    Like you i just enjoy the simplicity, those bikes just demand to be ridden daily, very low maintenance.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    I started about 3 years ago and i think i have never read nor heard about them. Are they just old bikes not sold anymore?
    Around Montreal, Quebec i know 2 guys with thudbusters on their fatbike for the problem about people walking in the trails. Twice last season i used a gel cover to absorb a bit.
    Like you i just enjoy the simplicity, those bikes just demand to be ridden daily, very low maintenance.
    You can still buy a soft tail today, but they are not as common as they were 20 years ago since suspension technology has advanced considerably in the past 20 years. My 29'er soft tail is a 2011 model and my 26'er soft tail is a 1997 model.

There is a small slider with an internal spring just behind the seat tube at the seat stay junction and the flex of the chainstays allows the rear axle to travel about an inch without any pivots.

The HT place welcomes you-0428191342.jpg

mtbr member
    The efficiency and trail feedback from a HT are two of my main reasons for riding them, but I also prefer them for the simplicity. I don't want to deal with the additional maintenance of pivots and a shock.
    Agree on efficiency and feedback. Not so sure about maintenance though... comparing between me on a hardtail and my mates on fs bikes, they have to deal with servicing their pivots & rear shocks while I have to deal with rear hub/rim damage they don't seem to suffer from. I try to ride smoothly etc, but I mess up sometimes too.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by justwan naride View Post
    Agree on efficiency and feedback. Not so sure about maintenance though... comparing between me on a hardtail and my mates on fs bikes, they have to deal with servicing their pivots & rear shocks while I have to deal with rear hub/rim damage they don't seem to suffer from. I try to ride smoothly etc, but I mess up sometimes too.
    That is a valid point. Fortunately I am only 74kg and ride pretty lightly so I don't suffer many rear wheel issues. My rear rims take an occasional hit, but the only rear hub damage I've experienced has been shearing pawls or other climbing / torque related damage.

jcd's best friend
    My dirt jumper is a hardtail
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

Up In Smoke
    Ah, the good old reliable go everywhere do everything hardtail. There was a time I swore to myself that I wouldn't ever buy a full suspension bike but I couldn't keep myself to it and have owned 2 FS bikes. Sold one after 6 months and I keep the other as a spare/loaner bike.

mtbr member
    My road bike is a hard tail. Nothing worse than those roadies who ride full squish.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    My road bike is a hard tail. Nothing worse than those roadies who ride full squish.
    my roadie is rigid, but l am pretty hardcore ;-D

my Fattie & MTB are HTs though

always mad and usually drunk......

NTX
    mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    The HT place welcomes you-27620f69-cb22-4da5-ab34-914658c57a48.jpgI have never owned a fs and my current bike is a Trek Roscoe 8. Freaking live that bike! The most fun I have had on a bike in a long time.

No known cure
    My last two custom frames have been steel hardtails. This one is the best riding bike I've ever thrown a leg over, including high end Ti and Gucci tubed production frames. It rides with such a high quality of feedback, I've made up a word to describe it's springlike ride. I call it "sproing".

I love the CNC vintage era so that's the direction the build went. The wheelset is Ti spoked on ceramic rims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The HT place welcomes you-img_20190121_155913533.jpg  

The HT place welcomes you-img_20190121_155843087.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    My last two custom frames have been steel hardtails. This one is the best riding bike I've ever thrown a leg over, including high end Ti and Gucci tubed production frames. It rides with such a high quality of feedback, I've made up a word to describe it's springlike ride. I call it "sproing".

I love the CNC vintage era so that's the direction the build went. The wheelset is Ti spoked on ceramic rims.
    Nice looking bike! My buddy Jeff has one of those, but he is running it with a rigid Potts fork.

No known cure
    Nice looking bike! My buddy Jeff has one of those, but he is running it with a rigid Potts fork.
    I had a Waltworks segmented fork that rode nice and was powder coared to match but the lines didn't fit the frame. Garro doesn't build a fork past a certain A2C so I'm going with a straight blade unicrown from Retrotech.

Even hikers and trail runners have stopped me on the trail to check the bike out.

Up In Smoke
    In other news, Connor Fearon just beat Troy Brosnan in a regional enduro race. Fearon was riding a honzo. Goes to show, hardtails have the speed

slow
    I had a Waltworks segmented fork that rode nice and was powder coared to match but the lines didn't fit the frame. Garro doesn't build a fork past a certain A2C so I'm going with a straight blade unicrown from Retrotech.

Even hikers and trail runners have stopped me on the trail to check the bike out.
    Jeff's Potts fork is also powder coated to match his frame. He gets quite a few looks, as well.

I'm guessing that Retrotech will ride nice on your bike. Enjoy!

No known cure
    Jeff's Potts fork is also powder coated to match his frame. He gets quite a few looks, as well.

I'm guessing that Retrotech will ride nice on your bike. Enjoy!
    Is his fork coated black and rose?

mtbr member
    I'm seriouly thinking of getting a new hardtail to add to the stable. Everytime I ride my 17 year old steel IF, I can't help but smile at how much fun it is now that the components have been brought up to date. Light and tossable.

Anyway, I am really tempted by a new Chameleon 27.5+. For those who think they are too old, I'll be 70 in June and my back hurts because I'll be 70 in June, not because I ride a hardtail.

I'm not ready to ditch my 5010 FS yet though.

slow
    Is his fork coated black and rose?
    Yes, I believe you know the bike. It is beautiful in person.