How will the cycling world change post 2020-covid?- Mtbr.com
    mbtr member

How will the cycling world change post 2020-covid?

I see SO MANY people out riding bikes through the neighborhood nowadays, the trail systems are annoyingly packed, and my shop has been going gangbusters with sales and completely overwhelmed with service. I know it's a temporary thing, but as a cyclecommuter, roadie, and mtb'er i'm excited about the long-term implications of this.

How do you think covid will impact cycling in the next 3, 5, 10 years?

Should cities dedicate more $ towards cycling infrastructure, now that more people have dipped their toe in? Will more casual/temporary cyclists mean more serious roadies/mtb'ers in the future? Do you think drivers will be more aware of cyclists on the streets, now that they're closer to them?

I hope so.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Unfortunately I don't think much will change.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    I think the economy will be a big player. Continued on the current trajectory mountain biking and road cycling at the avid level $$$ will inevitably dry up. Crime, gutted budgets, and civil unrest will factor in (at the current trajectory) as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    -Lots of used bikes for sale soon
    - trails getting closed down due to too many bikes
    -technical features dumbed down, which also causes land to be closed to bikes due to illegal trail alterations.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    People forget things very quickly. Come this time next year it will be back to normal.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    -technical features dumbed down,
    We're already seeing this in the local park in the form of easy log overs being cut out. Fortunately the absolute shit weather we've had has added lots of new ones.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Your used bike will be worth more. Your new bike will cost more.

Drivers will continue to be oblivious to riders on the road. Trees will not adopt mobile phones in great numbers and riding in the woods will continue to be safer.

Bikes will evolve. Some people will wax poetic about the good old days (today) and how evolution is destroying the soul of cycling. Others will embrace change. The majority, who are not hard core, will not notice anything.

I will be older then my current 71 and still conflicted about e-Bikes which will be adopted by many when Tesla comes out with one that weighs no more then 20 lbs. and can go 300 miles on a charge.

All my predictions will be wrong.

Up In Smoke
    The prices of high end bikes will come down, more trails will open up and offer a wider variety of trails and features for everyone of all different skill levels. E-motor bikes will be banned from Earth and anyone who mentions their existence will be banished to Venus. Hiking will be illegal and horses will only be allowed off-trail.

I am Walt
    All remaining 2020 events (as originally scheduled or rescheduled) will be cancelled, and we will start to see 2021 first-half events start to be postponed or cancelled also (see, The Pioneer). As a result of this, some Race Directors and events will go out of business, and wonít be coming back. The landscape is going to be different going forward...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    All remaining 2020 events (as originally scheduled or rescheduled) will be cancelled, and we will start to see 2021 first-half events start to be postponed or cancelled also (see, The Pioneer). As a result of this, some Race Directors and events will go out of business, and wonít be coming back. The landscape is going to be different going forward...

However, Loic Bruni was going to be wearing the championship jersey going into 2021 anyway.

Have Crankworx and Rampage announced anything yet.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Our little town closed down a lane on Main St. so restaurants can provide outdoor space for socially-distanced dining. It's a great atmosphere, but it eliminated the parking spots.

A large majority of people are whining that they have to park an extra 1-2 blocks away and walk/ride their bike (the HORROR!!) to go downtown to spread germs.

So unfortunately, no, nothing will change. Back to sitting in cars and blowing fumes everywhere.

mtbr member
    I think things will go back to status quo in a year or two or three. There will be a lot of bikes hanging in garages getting dusty.

Many (most?) people go through a phase where they think cycling is something they should do, and they do it, but it doesn't stick over the long term. With Covid, a lot are going through that phase now, and yeah, it will stick with some, but fundamentally I don't think it'll make a big diff in the longer term.

One thing I think we'll see is an acceleration of the adoption of e-bikes.
    What, me worry?

CEO Product Failure
    I hope there's more riders out there on trails, roads, paths, and single track. Those who've taken the plunge I would like to see stick with it.

Advocacy, stewardship, and development should be the industry's goals for the next 4+ years. The U.S. cycling industry has a larger potential client base now than ever. They need to focus on keeping the cranks turning. Forget about ebikes, electric shifting, 15sp, and all the crap.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    I hope there's more riders out there on trails, roads, paths, and single track. Those who've taken the plunge I would like to see stick with it.
    Why? I donít see overcrowding as a good thing, nor do I find it necessary to grow the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Why? I donít see overcrowding as a good thing, nor do I find it necessary to grow the sport.
    You gonna say you dropped in to the sport and already knew the lowkey riding spots? Where are we gonna get new riders if they can't recruit themselves?
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    You gonna say you dropped in to the sport and already knew the lowkey riding spots? Where are we gonna get new riders if they can't recruit themselves?
    Iím saying that the low key riding spots, are no longer low key. Theyíre over crowded. Why do we need new riders? Theyíre are always gonna be new riders, but I certainly donít see the need to recruit them. As I said, overcrowding is a huge issue here. Maybe itís different where you are, but here, shits getting loved to death.

No known cure

Both the California Enduro Series and the local cross country series start this Saturday
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Both the California Enduro Series and the local cross country series start this Saturday
    Wow; very cool! Though that shocks me...

Ride more; post less...

No known cure
    Wow; very cool! Though that shocks me...

Social distancing and masks are required unless you're on course.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Rider
    Now that the numbers are coming in proving this is like a bad flu season, things will go back mostly to the way they were, but with more riots and people carrying weapons everywhere.

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerVernon View Post
    Now that the numbers are coming in proving this is like a bad flu season, things will go back mostly to the way they were, but with more riots and people carrying weapons everywhere.
    Pretty sure the country saw itís worst numbers just yesterday. Itís not going to be ďnormal ď for a good long time.

All fat, all the time.
    As soon as regular kids activities (soccer, ball etc) are back to normal and people go back to work, hopefully things will get back to normal. Lots of random people with no helmets around for sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I don't think we'll see a permanent change.
    People are already going back to what they were doing three months ago. I thought trails were semi-busy during the stay-at-home orders but now it' common to see group rides a few days a week.
    A few evenings I've seen zero cars when I start around 4:00 p.m. then when finishing around 5:30 there are 15 vehicles in the lot, with group rides start and folks huddled up while waiting to get going.
    I've gone out around 7:00 a.m. for a fast ride for a cardio workout on easy trails instead of my out-of-shape Covid fitness level longer rides with normal 1500' elevation gain rides. Coming back from the fast spin is typically a near full parking lot before 8:00.
    I decided to meet a friend a few weeks ago for a Sunday ride. By time she got her crap together, we started a noon. The parking lot was overflowed...had to go park down the street. I almost left but tuffed it out.

I haven't been out during the day too much in the last few weeks but feels like with people having been back to work (small percentage probably) they are finally meeting up at a more routine schedule when all folks can be free in the evenings.

I'm staying away from folks and have gone for a few 3:00 afternoon rides to hopefully beat the crowds. Between people working and the temperature of 105 degrees, trails are pretty empty at 3 & 4:00.
    It was 111, 5 miles into a 17 mile ride a few days ago.

As for long term, people will be people and do the same as they used to. Where I live it gets hot (obviously), so once fall comes around and weather is nicer, the groups will meet for the fall/winter rides.
    As for driving habits, a tiny bit of 'better-ness', only from the person who just took up bike riding and realizes how bad traffic can be. Those people will have a different respect for cyclists on the the road. Rest of the people will remain human an do what they have always done.

I've not been a bad driver, but when I started running on shoulders of the road way and seeing how crappy some drivers are is when I learned more about respect.
    I would always run against traffic -so I could see if I was about to get hit. Pretty much each time I'd run on the roads I would see at least one person going by me that never saw me out there. Also with the fixation issue, I'd find drivers aiming right at me as they were fixated on me and not the road. Never scary, but nonetheless they'd steer towards me, the object they are staring at.

For a short period of time we'll see more people on the MTB trails who enjoy what they have found in our sport. When their family live gets back to normal the bike will see very little use.

A friend of mine put in more miles this spring than I have know him to for the 8-10 years that I've been riding with him....he is our ride organizer! He's a darn good rider, used to race a lot. Now his kids are involved in activities and his wife is a nurse.....he rarely has time when he isn't picking up kids or being dad while mom works.
    With his kids' activities having been cancelled and his wife being home, he was riding a lot!
    We work together and have been fortunate enough to work-at-home through this ordeal and our job offers flexibility in scheduling. With his flexible schedule and the family lifestyle change, it was good for him to get miles back.
    Like many, he too will be lucky to ride once a week when his family life is back to Pre-COVID times.

Big Mac
    Kidding, right? 130,000 people die from the flu in 6 mos. time?

Rider
    Kidding, right? 130,000 people die from the flu in 6 mos. time?

Overall death rates are not remarkable. It is killing people who were going to die soon anyway.

Compare this with something like the Black Death that killed 50% of the population of Europe in a 4 year period with some cities seeing 70% death rates.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Pretty sure the country saw itís worst numbers just yesterday. Itís not going to be ďnormal ď for a good long time.
    Knowing that Commandant Polis has rolled back the numbers due to rubber stamping of death certificates, are any numbers re:COOTIES-19 worth a damn?

To the topic at hand, I think the current state of affairs is here for the short term. (1 year, less than 2) There are two camps on the public life side of this scamdemic. One being that you have no business leaving home unless you are in an oxygen tent. The other being a ho hum attitude toward it.
    H1N1 affected a majorly higher number and killed more than COVID has thus far.
    As for being the way life will be from here forward, not going to happen.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Knowing that Commandant Polis has rolled back the numbers due to rubber stamping of death certificates, are any numbers re:COOTIES-19 worth a damn?

To the topic at hand, I think the current state of affairs is here for the short term. (1 year, less than 2) There are two camps on the public life side of this scamdemic. One being that you have no business leaving home unless you are in an oxygen tent. The other being a ho hum attitude toward it.
    H1N1 affected a majorly higher number and killed more than COVID has thus far.
    As for being the way life will be from here forward, not going to happen.
    I donít live in fear, but I donít think anyone has the whole story yet. Eyes open and be ready to move and react.

I stay home because I have a great home . I never did cycling like every one else. I ride alone mostly, on private trails IĎve built myself mostly. However things change or donít change ...it wonít affect me much.

May contain nuts
    In NZ where we have eliminated the virus, life has pretty much returned to the way it was before lockdown, minus the foreign tourists.
    Any hope of people getting out of their cars and using different modes of transport has evaporated, although workplaces are seemingly more receptive to WFH than before.
    Over the lockdown everyone was out walking and biking and cycle shop friends say business has been great, so some of the anti-bike/anti-cycleway sentiment had declined.

Cycologist
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Big Mac
    Overall death rates are not remarkable. It is killing people who were going to die soon anyway.

Compare this with something like the Black Death that killed 50% of the population of Europe in a 4 year period with some cities seeing 70% death rates.
    Going to die soon anyway? Can you cite that? So, the plague is your point of reference?

Big Mac
    Going to die soon anyway? Can you cite that? So, the plague is your point of reference?

Never mind. I realized youíre from Texas. Yíall are killing it down there.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I donít live in fear, but I donít think anyone has the whole story yet. Eyes open and be ready to move and react.

I stay home because I have a great home . I never did cycling like every one else. I ride alone mostly, on private trails IĎve built myself mostly. However things change or donít change ...it wonít affect me much.
    I live and ride rural, so being affected is nil. The private trail thing is a nice opportunity as well. I do have a few locations that are on private ranch properties that the owners have given the green light, rarely a soul out there other than cattle.
    I am either slaving over a hot engine or riding a bike or at home toiling. My pleasure of today is a wheel lace up and a singletrack with my single speed plusser.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    In NZ where we have eliminated the virus, life has pretty much returned to the way it was before lockdown, minus the foreign tourists.
    Any hope of people getting out of their cars and using different modes of transport has evaporated, although workplaces are seemingly more receptive to WFH than before.
    Over the lockdown everyone was out walking and biking and cycle shop friends say business has been great, so some of the anti-bike/anti-cycleway sentiment had declined.
    Let's hope that it can stay that way, Haggis. With touristas, who knows. On the bikeways, all the better for making your way to some good trail systems.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Rider
    That is to give you some perspective on what a serious plague looks like.

The relationship between new infections and hospitalizations & death don't seem to follow each other. Everywhere has a peak in hospitalizations & deaths, IMO as the vulnerable population gets infected. Then it dies off even as more of the healthy general pop catches it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-...emic_in_Sweden

Sweden daily new infections:

Sweden daily new hospitalizations:

Sweden daily deaths: