How wide are your handlebars across ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How wide are your handlebars across ?

After riding today I was thinking about cutting my handlebar shorter...I know another rider had thought I was already short...I'm curious how wide everyone's handlebars are measured from end to end straight across ?

Mine is 32"
    ​SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

All fat, all the time.
    That's a wide bar (812mm).
    Mine are 740 I think, wouldn't want any wider.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mine are at 750.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Up In Smoke
    Ď02 called

mtbr member
    My bike came with 820mm bars, but I cut them down to 800mm for tree clearance. Iíve also demoíd a couple bikes with 780mm bars, and those also felt fine.

I tried the whole ďget on the floor and do a push-up, then measure your push-up stance thing at some point, but as it turns out my natural push-up position was something like 880-900mm. And even if they bars of that size were made, I donít think Iíd run them (again tree clearance).

I will say, my buddies bike with 740mm bars feel narrow, and my old bike with 660mm bars feels... foreign at this point. I wouldnít want to ride teither of those widths on my personal bike at this point.

If you have some grips that can slide past the end of the bar, you can simulate bar widths before you cut them down. Just move the lock on grips inboard to whatever width, and run it like that for a while. Just remember the end caps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    710mm. No really, they are 710mm. No, I do like them that width. No, I donít crash every ride. No, I have not received any calls from 2002.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    750-800 depending on the application.

And even if they bars of that size were made,
    Superstar used to make a bar called the 'Yardstick'. Guess how long it was.

mtbr member
    780mm on both my enduro bike and single speed, 740mm on my xc bike.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Started at 800 which was nice. Cut to 780 which has been great but considering cutting off just a little more. Definitely not going less than 760 but I might split the difference to 770.

mtbr member
    750, I think. I could work with 740-760. anything wider or narrower would feel awkward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Howard View Post
    Superstar used to make a bar called the 'Yardstick'. Guess how long it was.
    915mm?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    No, I have not received any calls from 2002.
    Check your USPS mailbox.

OP, my bars are 780mm.

mtbr member
    700mm...690 on the other bike.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    800mm but I'm very tall with long arms.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    915mm?
    Yup. Really. they dont make it anymore as it was more of a marketing thing really, but they did sell some (that i guess were subsequently trimmed). Still mentioned on their website though.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    How wide is too wide?
    How wide are your handlebars across ?-bbd02f4b-8b21-4b00-94da-b64d82f1fe77.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

jcd's best friend
    I typically run 780mm on my bikes.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

Always in the wrong gear
    I'm 5'9 with average height/arm ratio.

I have 780s on the SS, 800's on my new trail bike. I'm pretty happy with anything 750-800.

Edit: I grew up racing motocross, as a 14 y/o on a YZ125, you simply rode what came on the bike, even if I looked something like Dirtjunkie's above pic. I now live in the desert where there are no trees so that's not a concern, would honestly probably not have 800's if I lived in he eastern US forest.
    Shiftin' jumps and huckin' gears

Elitest thrill junkie
    These bars are 810 plus about 10-13mm more on each side for the Revelate plugs (for the other set of pogies I have). I'm 5' 10.75". The trees are 750mm apart.

We have lots and lots of stuff like this. You just turn your bars and keep riding.

My other 3 handlebars are fairly normal, 780mm.

I think one thing that's often lost on people is how much more control and ability to ride through stuff without it kicking your front wheel off-line or sideways when you pair a modern-size handlebar with a modern-size stem. When your wheel does that thing where it instantly goes 30 degrees or more to one side, you often endo, especially at slower speed where you don't have the straight-line momentum.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    720, 740, 780 and 780 For my 4 bikes.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Yeah, low speed close trees like the "needle" above, aren't really a problem. As you mentioned, you can just turn the bars and slide on through (within reason of course).

I'm more worried about bar strikes when going downhill at speed, just because that usually doesn't end well. Where I live there aren't tons of tight trails though (especially the climbs), so I'm not overly worried about it (obviously, with my 800mm bars). But my actual local trail system has a few trails with trees close on the downhill portion, enough that I tapped them a few times (actually popped the end cap out once) at 820mm. So that was what prompted the trim to 800mm.

And, I also grew up riding dirt bikes, that may have something to do with my preferences. Narrow ~550mm bars just feel bizzare to me. I feel like I have far less control.

But like others, I'm comfortable in a range. Once I get outside of that range, I start to notice it though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    On a side note- I wouldn't start off with some really long bars if you want to shorten them by a large margin. I've found that it can really affect the bar and its compliance by going to short on a bar that is designed to be much longer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    720mm.

mtbr member
    760 across the board.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    690-700. That's plenty leverage for my 27.5 bike, without being stretched out like a human sail, and the lack of comfort associated with such.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    740 on the trail bike. I prefer them over previous 780 I had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DIRTJUNKIE again.
    As always, a good catch!

OP, I run 800mm 6į up, 9į back for the pleasure of a trialsy bar that works for a bloke that can pass a hooter across the room without an extend-a-roach or leaving the recliner.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Elitest thrill junkie
    One of the keys too is that you MUST place the edge of your hands at the edge of your bars. If you are not doing this, then cut them, but don't run your grips inward or place your hands inward of the edge, because if you do, you will tag **** while riding. Your brain calculates (more like roughly estimates) where your hands are and keeps them from hitting anything, but it doesn't take into account something that extends past your hands.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Rippin da fAt
    *Installs curb feelers on Jayem's bar ends*
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Appreciate the replies...Wow, ok looks like I got some trimming to do...When I ride my hands are not out at the end of the bars.
    ​SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    One of the keys too is that you MUST place the edge of your hands at the edge of your bars. If you are not doing this, then cut them, but don't run your grips inward or place your hands inward of the edge, because if you do, you will tag **** while riding. Your brain calculates (more like roughly estimates) where your hands are and keeps them from hitting anything, but it doesn't take into account something that extends past your hands.
    So much this. Iíve seen so many pics of people riding with their hands on the middle of the grips. Iíve even seen riders gripping the inner portion of the grips. I used to ride with my hands in the middle of the grip. Then a friend mentioned to grab the end of the grip. It actually does feel better and Iím using the entire width of the bar. Thatís why I never use grips with lock on rings on the end of the grip. It doesnít make sense to go with a wider bar and not use the entire width. Itís like getting a 780 bar...and using 740 of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    740 Deity Carbon on the rigid single speed & 750 Easton Havoc on the full sus XC race bike. Same angles.
    The 750 feels better.

thecentralscrutinizer
    700 on my XC bikes and 750 on my plus bike.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Music & Bikes
    600 MTB
    630 Fat bike

I run that width because I'm tall
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    6', +2 ape index, and long torso/short legs.

800mm bar on my trail bike, plus 5-8mm on each end from the Ergon GE1 grips. Bumped up from 720mm that came from the factory (along with swapping the 80mm oem stem for a 60mm) with the original intention of trimming them down to 770 or so, but I ended up liking it full width.

740mm bar on my xc bike, plus or minus the width of the Cane Creek bar ends, depending on my grip.

And my bike with the Trail-a-Bike and baby seat has 660mm, and feels sooo twitchy. But the narrow bars keep me in an upright position that accommodates the top tube seat and my daughter's noggin, it's a cheapo Nashbar I don't want to spend money on for new parts, and it sticks to pretty mellow terrain, so monster stability is less of a concern.

mtbr member
    780 to 800 across my 4 steeds 👍

Sent from MTBR.apk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Pro Crastinator
    between 770 and 780 across 5 bikes

mtbr member
    I have no idea but they feel perfect.

slow
    But then how do I attach my bar ends?

slow
    710mm x 4.
    It took a while for 710mm to feel normal after many years of riding with 600mm bars. Demo bikes with wider bars usually feel a bit weird for the first 15 minutes I'm on them.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    But then how do I attach my tree catchers?
    I find the extra width kind of serves the same purpose for climbing. Bar ends for XC racing is something I've not seen in a long time, except on maybe occasionally in the sport/beginner classes, but not very common even there.

The other counter-intuitive part about the modern bar-widths IME is that when you DO scrape something, with the increase leverage your arms have, it seems harder to get knocked off/easier to correct back to course. I realize this could work both ways, but the narrower the bars the less influence you'll have on keeping the bike straight in such a situation.

No known cure
    700 on the SS and 775 on the full sus 29er. I need to trim them down though. 6'0" neutral ape index.

I like my width to be just wide enough to open my lungs and not hook on trees. I hooked up once, came to a complete stop and fell sideways still clipped in, breaking a rib on a helmet sized rock.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Your hands at bars outer edge also makes brakes work better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    785. These are the first bars I haven't trimmed shorter.

Keep on Rockin...
    Like Oury grips and King rear hubs, a no-brainer parts choice...

Renthal DH Riser Fatbars, 31.8 on all my bikes.

800 on the DH bike

780s on the trail bikes (older bars and would go 800 if they die)

Bars any narrower feel odd. Even bars other than Renthals with a different back/up sweep feel odd as I've been on them for so long. Going back to anything narrower does not feel right.

And BTW, a few weeks ago I went back to Oury non-lock ons. Holy crow !!!! Best and cheapest parts upgrade I've made in years. You can find them for less than $12 a pair, and when glued on they are secure. I can't believe how use I got to the feel of sh!tty lock ons.

mtbr member
    RollingBuffalo, as you can see, no single right or wrong answer. Go with what fits you and the situation.

As for me, I'm at 760 mm (30") for my trail and XC bike.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am 700mm on an XC bike and 740mm on a trail bike. I have been wider and I have been narrower those widths currently feel right.

Interesting in elite racing ranks some of the best riders are running pretty narrow bars. 740mm for Endruo racers and 680mm for XC racers is starting to be fairly common again.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I am 700mm on an XC bike and 740mm on a trail bike. I have been wider and I have been narrower those widths currently feel right.

Interesting in elite racing ranks some of the best riders are running pretty narrow bars. 740mm for Endruo racers and 680mm for XC racers is starting to be fairly common again.
    by "fairly common", do you mean outliers, or the majority of the field?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    by "fairly common", do you mean outliers, or the majority of the field?
    I mean what I said. Bars are trending narrower after years of getting wider. Still lots of wide bars out there but there are a lot of riders running narrower bars then they use to.

I don't know the bar width of every rider in the field.
    Here is a couple I know of
    Enduro:
    Richey Rude, Jesse Meland, Jared Graves 740mm
    Sam Hill 750mm
    Remi Gauvin 760mm
    Martin Maes: 780mm

XC: I think nearly every top XC racer not based in North America uses bars under 700mm.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I mean what I said. Bars are trending narrower after years of getting wider. Still lots of wide bars out there but there are a lot of riders running narrower bars then they use to.

I don't know the bar width of every rider in the field.
    Here is a couple I know of
    Enduro:
    Richey Rude, Jesse Meland, Jared Graves 740mm
    Sam Hill 750mm
    Remi Gauvin 760mm
    Martin Maes: 780mm

XC: I think nearly every top XC racer not based in North America uses bars under 700mm.
    This is the best article I've seen on that topic. Its slightly dated now though (2018). Clearly things could have changed since then. Still worth a read if anyone is interested though.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/handle...-too-wide.html

And yes, some riders have narrower bars than you'd think. I do think that its worth mentioning that a fair number of the riders you mentioned above are on the "shorter than average" side of things (Jesse Melamed is 5'7", Sam Hill is 5'9"), Jared Graves, Remi Gauvin and Richie Rude are all 5'10", which I'd say is pretty average at this point, at least for North America.

Here is a smattering of riders from the link, ordered by height.

Greg Minnar 6'3": 800mm
    Wyn Masters 6'1": 780mm
    Cody Kelly 6'1": 750mm
    Brandon Semenuk 6'1": 735mm
    Amaury Pierron 5'11": 800mm
    Nino Schurter 5'8": 680mm
    Yoann Barelli 5'7": 780mm
    Rachel Atherton 5'7": 775mm

Its honestly kind of all over the place. From that though, the main correlations I see are with rider height, and disipline.

More gravity focused disiplines tend to have wider bars, for increased control. More XC or Trick focused disiplines (slopestyle/XCO, etc), tend to have narrower bars, likely for aero (XC), and making tricks like barspins easier (slopestyle).

And taller riders tend to have wider bars, but its not universal. I actually wonder if we measured wingspan, if you would notice that riders with similar wingspans was a better correlation with preferred bar width.

I will say though, I'd bet there are a ton of people riding around on bars too wide for them, simply because they came from the factory that way, and haven't been trimmed to size, or don't even know thats an option. So while manufacturers need to make them wide for giants, not everyone needs an 820mm bar.

But the thought of riding my current bike with a < 760mm bar or so seems like it would feel akward to me. Then again, I'm 6'1", with fairly wide shoulders (as I said, my natural pushup position hand spacing is ~35"). So I'm glad I have options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have long arms at 5'11" and prefer 780mm. 760 is too cramped for me. I'd prob feel best at 790ish but my 810mm bar feels a bit wide. I still am okay with it but 10-20 mm less would be great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    780mm now with some rise. I had been riding a stock, flat 700mm bar (specializes). The improvement in comfort, steering and control is pretty amazing. I also dropped my stem from 80mm to 40mm at the same time.

high pivot witchcraft
    Uncut 800s on every bike I own.

5'10". 35 inch sleeve length.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Up In Smoke
    768mm Iím 6í1.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Uncut 800s on every bike I own.

5'10". 35 inch sleeve length.
    And you can't even ride in handcuffs!

I am firmly in the 800mm camp with a minimum of 5į upsweep to compliment the backsweep.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    This is something I've been thinking about. Got my OneUp bars cut to 780 at the moment but still find that I'm wearing away the inner most portion of the grip quicker than the outer. Maybe this is a sign I need to go to 770 or 760mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I've gone down to 760. Just feels right. Bar is a renthal fatbar 20 degree rise

mtbr member
    Three are 780 with 16* sweep and two are 800 with 15* sweep. I'm 5'7" and anything shorter feels like a kids bike.
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    Three are 780 with 16* sweep and two are 800 with 15* sweep. I'm 5'7" and anything shorter feels like a kids bike.
    But you hafta be able to ride in handcuffs!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    780mm on the FS and 760mm on the hardtail, I'm 183cm. Went from 740mm to 800 on the FS and it felt too wide for some of our narrower trails, trimmed them to 780mm and haven't looked back.

Definitely think there's a sweet spot relative to height/arm length (and probably riding style), you only have to see how awkward a 14 year-old grom on an enduro bike with 820mm bars (cos wide bars are cool) looks and you know there certainly isn't one ideal bar width.