Poll: How often do you ride alone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

How often do you ride solo?

It's so much easier for me to get up early and get out of the house when I know that there are people waiting to ride with me. For the past year or so my riding buddies have become less reliable and I find myself riding alone. How often do you ride by yourself?

Always in the wrong gear
    Probably 90% of my rides are solo. I'm married, with 2 young kids and I'm in Grad school.
    I usually can't ride as long/when others want to go.

Hell, let's be honest. I can barely afford the time to make the plans to meet other people.
    My plan for riding usually begins about an hour before I go. I suddenly realize I have a few hours that I can squeeze in some trail time, and I throw the bike on the rack and jet.

Edit: to add- I prefer to ride with one or two other people, MTB'ing has always been a social thing, not and exercise thing.
    On the rare occasions (a few times a year?) that I do get a group ride together, it's usually epic and I love doing it. It'll be onle of those half-day events.
    I'll bring breakfast burritos and a thermos of coffee for morning rides, or we'll ride all afternoon and there's post-ride beer at the trailhead. Every once in a blue moon (no pun intended) I'll get in on a night ride that does a mid-ride beer, and post ride trailhead grill/potluck

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    In my short span of MTBing, i've only ridden in a group twice. I didn't care for it much but the buddy who invited me has been riding with another group that ride trails out of my league. So, i'm good riding alone... i kind of prefer it. I don't like waiting.. and don't like holding up anyone either. The only time I think twice about it is when thinking about riding somewhere remote and I'd prefer to have company for safety reasons.

mtbr member
    90% solo, which I prefer. It's my time to myself.

Not that I don't dig the occasional group rides...
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Almost 100% my wife and I ride together.

mtbr member
    Does my trail dog count?How often do you ride solo?-imag0786%5B1%5D.jpg
    "Sometimes, you just got to buck up and huck it."

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For many years it was solo missions fo me as with family obligations and such my rides were taken whenever the chance arose. Twenty something years later and my kids can fend for themselves, I do most of my rides with groups now. Both having good and bad points, I really enjoy the solo riding because of the time I get to reflect on life and sing outloud.

mtbr member
    I just got into mtb, and I really enjoy riding with a group. It keeps me motivated, learn better technique, and lots fun to check out other people's bikes and compare upgrades. I quickly lose interest riding alone.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    About 70-80% solo. Most of the rest is with a buddy (not always the same) and very few group rides. The latter are not even planned, I sometimes bump into a group of people I know and join them for a few laps around the local trail trailsystem.

I enjoy riding with friends as much as the next guy, but I really, really like riding solo.

mtbr member
    I ride by myself 99% of the time, and I generally prefer it. The exception to that rule is long epic all-day rides, I would much rather do that in a group setting. I find the opposite of what most people are saying is true; it's much easier to push myself and try to progress when I'm by myself. Even at bike parks, I like riding in a train to get to know a park, but after that I like to work on getting faster on trails alone the rest of the day. I also like to ride when I want to ride, and not wait for anyone. The only good riding in my area this time of year is at dawn anyway, and none of my friends are eager to do that.

Unless I'm doing intervals or something, I HATE riding road by myself, it's th emost boring thing in the world. I would much rather do that in a group.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    almost half the time I'm solo. maybe 5% is a group. the rest is with one other guy.
    I like bikes

Moderator Moderator
    Solo guy 90% of the time.

How often do you ride solo?-howling-wolf-wallpaper-10927-hd-wallpapers.jpg

western NC
    Solo most of the time here also. Nothing against group rides, it just usually works out that way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

It's about 60/40 for me. 60% of the time by myself, these are typically workout rides or just to get away from everything. The other 40% is group, I found a great bunch of people on meetup.com that I ride with all the time.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I love both. I'm retired and my friends still work so I do get out by myself a fair bit. Used to be a lot more before I moved to a riding hot spot and easily found a good crew. I generally take it easier solo and will try crazier $hit with a group. Riding with this group has made me a better rider as well.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

inebriate savant
    Probably around half the time. Pretty much works out that if I hit up the group of regulars and anyone else can go we'll head out together. If not, I'll just go solo rather than nix the ride. There's times that rolling with the group is awesome; other times, as the saying goes "Solo rides are good for the soul".

The solo thing does seem to happen a lot more on night rides in winter for some reason, hmm...
    "When life gives you lemons...say f@%k it, and bail"

mtbr member
    Most of the time, lone wolf mode!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    85%-90% solo; 10-15% with a buddy or two. Group rides never.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I say a good 95% of my rides I'm solo... probably closer to 99% when it comes to mountain biking. Just how it works for me! Usually I have my own agenda and am not up for socializing when I ride.

I always hear "you shouldn't ride alone because you're a woman," which I find silly. I'd never get to ride if I was sitting around waiting on a man to go with

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Alone almost all the time while wearing a three wolf moon shirt

This is how it started...
    I ride alot and let my mood dictate my ride so it's mostly line wolf. It could be hammer down or easy-peasy, or just an exploritory ride on a random deer trail.

Been riding recently with one or two others...would that be a group? I think not.
    Life is about the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Solo riding is the **** for me. Love riding with the wife, the bros or the occasional group, but nothing cleans the attic like a good solo.

The best is when you wake up in the b/c, ride, then bivy again without seeing a flipping soul. Epic day rides are best solo; partners will either slow you down, or you'll slow them down.

Some people simply don't like being alone in the b/c; to each her own. Bringing a locator beacon or SPOT isn't a bad idea if you do and like long rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am a Lone Wolf riding ................... except for Lady Wolves on MTB's .............or a good dog

mtbr member
    I ride solo 90% of the time, with working opposite work schedules from my wife and watching my kids when i am not working my riding times are limited and at the spur of the moment. I still ride 2-3 days a week. 1-2 shorter rides (less than 8 mile rides) and then i have 1 ride a week that i get approx 2 hours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Lot's of solo riders who no doubt enjoy the solitude of being alone as I do. 95% of the time I'm alone. I try to balance my time off between my Family and riding. It's not easy. I would rather spend time getting to the trail and actually riding, not waiting on others. Also, I like to ride at my own pace. Most people I know only like to (or claim they have time to) ride shorter rides, and I often ride 15-30 mile rides and sometimes more, and I don't like being limited by others schedules or fitness. Also I ride two weekdays, and most people are working on my days off. Having said that, I do enjoy riding with friends, and mostly my Brother, but it does not happen often enough.

There is nothing like driving up to the Mountains early on a day off alone, and riding deep into the Mountains totally alone. The sounds are amplified, and the senses alive. It can be a little hairy at times, but that's half the fun. I ride 3 days per week, and maybe once a month or so with another rider so yea, about 95% solo. Once or twice a year I will do a really big ride, and I usually do this with my Brother. One ride in particular I will not ride alone as it's just unsafe. We are planning this ride now and will be joined by a friend we both grew up with who we know is a very experienced rider, so that will be a blast!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride with my wife also. She is good for about 10 miles. So I do her loop and then she waits in the truck and reads
    while I go do the rest of my ride. Works out good for the both of us and its something we can do together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I ride with my wife also. She is good for about 10 miles. So I do her loop and then she waits in the truck and reads
    while I go do the rest of my ride. Works out good for the both of us and its something we can do together.
    Yea my wife and I do something similar; we hike it together, then I pull the bike out of the car and go for a ride. Sometimes she picks me up at the other end and waits for me, sometime I just ride home from there. I find the balance is important, and I feel more satisfied after spending time together before and/or after my ride. That is for more local type rides. When I go up into high elevation stuff, she stays home and it's all me.

mtbr member
    90% solo... doesn’t help that one of my riding buddies is down at the mo (2x cracked ribs, broken collarbone, compressed vertebrae).

Don't mind either, and find I push a bit harder with buddies/group ^^

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    I've been riding with a group of guys for 5-10 years every Sunday morning Some guys drop off, new ones join During the week mostly solo we all have different jobs family etc. I do like riding by myself. I don't push it as hard. Different vibe, head clean out by myself. A good work out. Full on knuckle dragging, merciless trash talking, pushing hard with the group. Good fun either way!!
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

All bike, all the time
    In Seattle summertime I hardly ever ride solo because my best riding buddy is there. Here in Santa Cruz wintertime I ride by myself 60-70 percent of the time because it's hard to mesh my riding schedule with others and I don't know the gather drill. I don't mind solo but I'd much rather ride with others as long as I'm not draggin and holding them back...
    All bike, all the time

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Solo 80% of the time. I ALWAYS leave a map of where I am riding, in case I don't return within a specified time. After seeing 127 Hours....I leave nothing to chance I may suffer a similar fate!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

9 lives
    My riding partner is my hubby. The only time we don't ride together is when we decide to ride separate DH runs but then we always meet at the bottom.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    80% solo, mainly because theres a trail 2 blocks from my house and I can go out and do 9 miles and be back home in less than an hour. the other 20%, I have a friend who i ride with. overall im faster than he is, but thats mainly because he doesnt climb quite as fast as me, takes more breaks than i do, and he also tinkers with his bike a lot. so our rides generally last 3-4 hours. plus we spend time sessioning fun jumps/ledges/lines sometimes.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Wife will ride along partway then turn around and go home. I finish my ride alone.

Sometimes wife does not go along at all.

Numerous loops all starting/ending near my house. Sometimes I haven't decide which route to take when first start.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Alone 95% of the time. Wife can't ride hard anymore due to post concussion syndrome. Other friends seem busy. I hate fritzing people so I prefer to just go alone often with my dog. I take photos with the phone often enough and post to Facebook as my breadcrumbs so friends know where I went.

mtbr member
    I head to the trail alone. But sometime I get into talking with someone at the trail head and we ride together.

mtbr member
    I'm not one who rides solo very often however all of my PR's are solo rides where I go all out. Most of my rides are small groups 2-4 all pretty close to the same riding ability which makes for some Epic rides. As long as I'm on the bike I'm having a good time!
    2015 Specialized WC Epic | 2016 Specialized Epic

Don't Tread on Me
    I assume the voices in my head count?
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

Trailhead Poseur
    I ride solo virtually 100% of the time. I manage to squeeze in four, sometimes five rides per week, but my schedule is just too chaotic to reliably schedule a specific time to meet up with others.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    Nothing cleanses the soul like a good solo, but I am lucky enough to have a buddy at work that I frequently ride with, which works great because of scheduling. I tend to be a bit more reserved when solo on certain trails just due to the obvious risk. Riding with a buddy, or two helps me open the throttle, because I know a rescue would be easier. Small groups are great too. Heck, as long as I am on my bike, I do not care.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm alone 80-90% of the time. Home trail is 15min. away, most others are 1.5-2hrs. away. ALL the local trail association is 40+, 5 serious riders tops, it's hard to get family men to drive 2hrs. away on a weekend. Also I work 6 days a week and when the trails are open and I'm off I just get up and go. I night ride a lot, in 25degrees if need be. I would rather ride with groups as it pushes me harder but it usually don't work out. Gravel grind in groups more often. Hell, I'll drive 2hrs. to gravel grind with a group. It's good training.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    When I'm not riding solo, I'm generally riding with complete strangers.
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I generally dislike riding with other people. Maybe it's just who I've ridden with but everyone waits until the trailhead to get their bikes ready (checking tire/shock pressure, lubing chain, tweaking things, finding out they have a mechanical issue they can't fix trailside, getting dressed) when I'm ready to go the second I get there with my bike in tiptop shape so I'm sitting on my thumb for 15 minutes waiting for them... then they're either way faster than me or way slower so I'm either killing myself to keep up or bored waiting for them.

However, I road biked with an MTBR member a few weeks ago and that was good and I'd totally ride with him again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Always solo. None of my nearby friends ride, and the local club caters to more advanced riders than I'll ever be.

mtbr member
    I'm a 90%'r also. Like others, work, family and the fact I work in a mountain town about 50 mins from my home. If I try and schedule a ride I'm home way too late and the wife gets pissed.

Solo, I can hit a sick mountain trail system literally 50 yards from my office door. I can change in my office, grab the bike and rip a 10 miler and be on the road home in an hour.

I do like riding with others, but those rides always seem to be a 2+ hour affair regardless of millage.
    Santa Fe, NM

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    When I am solo....my meditation is at full zen state, and I have not a care in the world.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Another lone wolf here. Even my bike is a "Solo" (5010). I have two Lil boys and time is tight, so if i have a free hour i grab the bike and bust out a quick 7 to 10 miles. I am lucky I have a great trail system of like 50 miles 5 minutes from my office, so I take my bike to work and hit the trails when I can get away from the grind. Riding is an effective anti-depressant and has been very therapeutic for me. I used to ride with wifey and others more often, but now I rarely have the luxury of planning a ride in advance, plus we are expecting a Lil girl any day now so wifey hasn't ridden for months.

Silence! I kill you!
    I pretty much ride alone. Because of my work schedule (wedding/portrait photographer) I'm usually gone on weekends, which is when most of the group rides are. Luckily I've got lots of good trails around so I've started hitting those up as often as I can now that its the slow season. I still get on my road bike 4-5 times a week though heading to my office.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

I ride alone most times. I am in the trails 3 or 4 times a week. My wife will ride with me maybe once every two weeks, but she doesn't do the same trails and miles I do, so usually we do the easier stuff together, and then I go blast out a harder trail while she takes a break. Works out good.

I have a few friends who ride, but they either ride too slow or too fast. I don't mind trying to keep up with the faster guys, but after 5 or 7 miles of keeping up, I need a rest, and tell them to just ride on, so I am back to riding alone.

V-Shaped Rut
    Up until this year 95% of my rides were solo. MTB is my alone time. This year though I've been making it a point to go with people and do more social rides. It's different but nice too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I mostly ride alone if you only count humans; my mutt rolls with me on most days. Sometimes I ride with my sons and friends, but I really like those early morning rides out there by myself. Where ever I want to go, whatever speed, how far I feel like, no stress. My mutt, Gannett, never complains and is always up for whatever.

Magically Delicious
    Most of my rides are solo, but I prefer to ride with one other person, maybe two. The drama and complexity seems to climb exponentially for each person added to the mix. Perhaps I have some peeves that add to this. My point is that when I show up to the trail head, I'm basically ready to ride. generally, all I have to do is put on my shoes and helmet and I'm ready. My bike has been lubricated, tires are at the correct pressures, shocks and all other mechanicals are adjusted and ready to ride. I have my ride clothes on and I took a sh!t BEFORE getting to the trail head.

I get irritated when we agree to meet and hit the trail at a given time and get a ride in. However, others show up and need to address all of the things I've just listed and essentially, they show up unprepared to ride. I have seen guys show up and need to change both tires or fix a flat. A flat that they got a week ago. And, a ride we scheduled three or four days earlier. Some will show up and walk around and talk while everyone is getting ready and then and ONLY when everyone is ready will this guy start getting it together while everyone waits for this chatty kathy.

Of my small group of friends, I have two that will always be ready to go when they show. The others can stay at home or remain at the trail head till they can get it together. I have little tolerance for their lame excuses and that's when a few of us ready guys will mount and leave while they whine about us taking off ahead of them. We're usually the first back and drinking the good beer when they show up and start whimpering again. But wait a minute. They didn't bring any beer...again!

Now with this being said, I have kids and a house, a job that requires far too much BS and all of the other baggage that comes with life. And, so do the guys that usually show up ready to ride. It's interesting the ones that are never ready are the ones that seemingly have few responsibilities and little or no attachments to keep them from being prepared and ready to go. I couldn't really give a care what their reality is other than it seems they would be the ones that would show up ready to go. That's usually not the case.

Ok, so this is a small window into my world and why I usually ride solo and the few times when I do ride with friends, it's the few that seem to have their sh!t together. There...I feel better now.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I hear you brother. That futzing drives me insane. I used to do these Tuesday night rides in North Vancouver. Every Tuesday all year, all weather. Met at a coffee shop at the Parkgate Mall left at 7:00. Maybe 7:01. If you weren't ready, you were chasing. My kind of ride.

mtbr member
    I enjoy riding with buddies, but with work and kids it's tough getting schedules to align. Most of the time I ride super early in the morning, so that I can get all of my other obligations tended to during the day. With my job I seldom get a chance to hit trail during the week in the summer time, so I'm relegated to weekends.
    Anytime I have a chance to ride with a buddy I do. It's always fun riding with someone of similar or better skill level.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would love to ride with someone but the majority of the time due to my work schedule, I have to ride alone. Other than riding with my girlfriend and her 2 girls, I only rode with others 3 times last year. It sucks at time, but it is also my time to clear my head and relax.

mtbr member
    I like both and split it about 50/50. Riding with others helps me become a better rider, plus I enjoy the social aspect. Riding alone lets me enjoy life, and clear my head. Additionally, I work a lot of weekends, so my time tends to be when others are not available. So I like the freedom to load up the bike and run off to the trails by myself.

If you are riding solo do you listen to music? I have a bluetooth speaker that fits right into my waterbottle cage.
    Dianna- occasional rider of bikes, frequent master of the superman pose.

mtbr member
    If I'm not riding with the other pissin contestants... the best group rides are with my kids, I get a real buzz watching them succeed and smile. I can't wait until the day they leave me in their dust ^^

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I love riding solo with a good garbage murder mystery audiobook going. This makes up ~95% of riding for me. I can ride for hours like this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Most of my rides are solo as most of my friends and I work rotating shifts and it is hard to get together and ride.

I like turtles
    Road/mtn, 1/2 are solo due to timing of schedules with riding buddies. More reluctant to night-ride solo but still will do it.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Hell Track
    None of my friends are into cycling. I've tried and tried but they just don't get it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ride alone almost all of the time. My reasons are different from what most here are putting down though; I wish I could get with some guys to ride more often. I have struggled with fitness just about my whole life and I hate being the guy that slows a group down. When I have been in good shape I have always sought out guys to ride with. Currently committed to getting myself in shape to join a club and get some guys to ride with that will help keep me that way!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Trail - group; building and riding at the weekends
    Street - alone at night, at the work days

mtbr member
    80%-90% solo because trying to coordinate schedules with my friends who ride is nearly impossible since we all have kids and their activities (sadly none of my kids are into riding). I don't really enjoy large group MTB rides, too many stops to keep the group together because of varying levels of skill and fitness.

I do enjoy group road rides and try to make the local Saturday morning bike shop ride near my house.

I do make sure I have my Road ID on and started testing out their app that allows my wife to track me and will alert her if I am stationary for more than 5 minutes (if I don't turn it off when I stop). It was a life saver last fall when I was hit on my road bike and knocked unconscious.
    James

"Never pass up an opportunity to ride." - Anthony Sloan

Your Best Friend
    I feel like I ride alone all of the time but if I really look into it, I ride with people most of the time. We have a work lunch group that I ride with at least 3x a week and I coach the local High School team so I ride with them at least 3x a week as well. Fridays and Saturdays are my long, solo rides. I'd guess time wise, I put in 6 hours a week solo and 6-8 hours with a group.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member

Almost all my rides are solo, but I'd like to address the precautions i take as it hasn't been discussed much in this thread. These are directly pulled from some of the safety precautions i take while kayaking solo. Paddling solo is a big no-no because the river can and will put you in your place, but sometimes it's the only option.

Remember that mother nature is always in control and things can go south very quickly. One thing i think all bikers should do before heading out on the trails alone is:

File a ride plan with someone you trust with your life. Tell them where you'll be riding and when you'll be back. If they don't hear from you by the agreed time, they will call search and rescue. Cell phone service is never a guarantee in the wild. All it takes is one ill timed fall and you're in for trouble. If everything goes to ****, at least someone will be searching for you. This one is a no brainer IMO.

In addition to your normal trail tool kit bring a small first aid kit, a small headlamp, a way to make fire, and a trusty knife. I know some of you are thinking, "that will never happen to me, i don't need all that ****, i never fall, Yada, Yada, Yada." You may be right, but an extra pound of gear that could mean the difference between life or death is a small weight to carry. We're mountain bikers, not ounce counting road racers, suck it up. Or don't, it's your ass.

I guess that's about it really, the list is slightly more involved when paddling. I don't think it's excessive. The majority of the time you won't need any of it, and maybe it sounds like I'm blowing things out of proportion, but it's that one time you do need it that it becomes invaluable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Wow, seems like a heavy lone wolf majority here. I have certainly been in that category in my short mountain biking career. This last week, however, the weather here in Western Colorado has been crazy warm and dry, and i've done four straight rides with the same couple of guys. It's a refreshing change of pace! One of the riders is much more experienced and faster than I, but I keep up enough to not hold him back much (he is easy going anyhow), and the other is more experienced but reclaiming his cardio, which puts me in the middle slot. I agree that it is easier to get up and get out of the house when there are other people involved. Plus there are a few tips i've learned that will really improve my riding as I grow.

My first summer of riding, spent 95% alone, left me hoping for some more social interaction with other mountain bikers. There is a really cool community of riders evolving around here, and i'm really looking forward to trail building, group rides and other activities. Some locals, including the town council, are resurrecting a local festival: Beers & Gears. The social connection is really fulfilling.

That all being said I still expect the majority of my riding to be alone this year. With scheduling, a young child (as others here certainly understand) and the other major factor that i'm pretty introverted by nature anyhow will likely create that scenario. I do relish the alone time out in nature. I just need to stop and smell the flowers more often. =)

Finding riding partners that really fit can prove difficult, but i'm very excited to have that coming together for me. I want to do some epic rides this year, and some travelling to explore more places, and i'd much rather do that with some friends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Interesting thought: Are mountain bikers just lone wolves by nature, or is there a correlation to those types spending more time here on mtbr?

Your Best Friend
    Mountain biking isn't a team sport. It doesn't require other people in order to participate. Therefore it lends itself as something that is easily done by yourself. And so, people do it that way more often than not. It takes effort to ride with others.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    I'm not a bit group rider, either. I like riding with my kids from time to time and will maybe do a group ride once a year, but I have a real hard time riding at a pace other than what my own internal gearing is telling me to ride at the time.

mtbr member
    Almost exclusively solo for me. I have tried setting up group rides but it never works out. When I send out invites they either go unanswered or I get a vague response back. So basically I've given up on organizing rides, but if I get invited by someone else I typically go.

Let's fly!
    Interesting responses -- the number of those preferring lone rides surprises me. I massively prefer to ride with others, but ride 75-80% by myself due to schedules. I enjoy shared experiences much more than solo - before (anticipation), talking at the trailhead and throughout the ride (how's the wife? kids? job? new bike/tires/saddle/etc?), during (did you see that? oh, let's try that again, etc), and after (remember that time we . . . .). In addition to the preference for shared experiences, I also learn from others and push myself (cardio and skills) more with others.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I almost never ride alone. I can send out a text anytime and find someone to ride with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I won't ride anything solo that isn't well traveled. I mix it up and usually try to ride with at least one buddy, but have no problems riding alone. Not a big fan of group rides. Much prefer 4 or less for trail rides. Prefer small groups of 4-6 for DH.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Most of the time, alone. Working retail and having an unsteady schedule makes it hard to ride with people. I don't mind though. I have fun on group rides but alone I can take time to enjoy vistas and stuff.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    80% solo, 18% two buddies, 2% group rides. Single at 41, no kids I ride whenever I want. My two riding buddies seam to only ride on weekends, and we do a large group ride usually twice a year.

mtbr member
    May 2010

95% solo. I'm not unfriendly but I've got a weird schedule. The only times I ever ride with people is when I'm at a place I haven't been and somebody is around.

mtbr member
    I ride solo on most all of my epic rides. Most people don't want to be out there that long. During the week, I can usually hook up with someone on one or two days. I like both solo and small group rides. About 2 to 5 is a good number.

Just Ride
    Mar 2014
    I like to ride with my wife and small groups on the weekends. During the week I prefer to ride alone...
    To have lived without passion, adventure, and thrill, is to never lived at all!!! YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Due to my location I usually fly solo. Every now and again the missus will get a wild hair and want to hit the trails with me. Also slightly outta shape and a big guy so I'd rather not hold people up etc. from all the breathers I take.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    I'd say I ride solo winter, spring, summer, fall 75 to 90% of the time. Like some here, I've got a whacked out schedule AND a young family so getting out is either at a strange time or very last second.

I take my opportunities whenever I can.

I love riding with other more than riding alone but, I must confess, sometimes the solitude allows for a complete reboot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How often do you ride solo?-frznhwy.jpg  

Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Solo guy 90% of the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	howling-wolf-wallpaper-10927-hd-wallpapers.jpg 
Views:	1148 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	957734
    Yeah solo,
    Don't like trying to keep up with faster riders,
    Don't like waiting for slower riders....

Attachment 970109
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    A few years back I went on a work retreat to Bryce Canyon. It was a glamping/guided bike tour deal. It was my first mtb experience and I learned a lot; namely, that my pace was very different from the other riders. Some liked going downhill was faster than me (I don't enjoy high speeds) while others struggled with hills (I love me a good ***** pitch every once in a while).

I ride solo now but would probably prefer to try to keep up with a more experienced rider/group of riders. I'm a rec tennis player and have the most fun playing people who were on high school and college teams. They kick my ass but are nice about it and I learn more than when I coach less experienced players than myself.

mtbr member
    Alone more than 90% of the time. I was surprized to see that's the most popular option. I grew up on a large ranch and have access to a lot of property. I only allow a couple very close friends to go with me. So, most of the time when I go out in a 4x4, dirt bike or mountain bike, it's by myself. The older I get the more I think about that being out there alone, out of cell range isn't a very good idea. But, if I had to rely on someone to be with me, I wouldn't be able to get out very much.

mtbr member
    50% of the time

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mostly solo for me. Can't wait for the weather to warm up some, strap a covered hammock to my bars, bike out until sunset, bike back in the morning. Just need water, very small portion of food, and some bare essentials like a lighter, multi tool, and small first aid kit. I grew up poor, so I can handle sparse meals, but I hate camping with people that need pots, pans, propane, 8 different knives, tent, air mattress, satellite dish, recliner, dish washer, etc etc. "Where are the closest showers?" Well hell, I don't know... in 2 days unless you find a spring somewhere!
    I'm being a bit facetious, but you know the types that "love" camping until they're doing it. Then they need to find a way to incorporate every luxury they can think of. I'd rather go alone and howl at the moon.

A waste of time it is is
    mostly solo, I don't remember my last group ride. I tend to get frustrated with too many stops and love the isolation of being in the bush alone and yet I aslo cherish the chance encounters and pleasantries exchanged when I do cross paths enexpectedly with other trail users.

mtbr member
    Actually shocked by these numbers as I personally don't know anybody that rides alone on a regular basis. For me, I like riding with others for many reasons. First of all, I ride for the enjoyment/fun of it and having somebody to talk to as we ride is pretty cool. I'm more likely to push myself out of my comfort zone when I ride with others as well and I'm not going to lie, ego comes in sometimes as well. It's a good feeling to "clean" a section when everybody else walked it. I also like watching peoples reactions when I take them to a new area as well.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'd say I ride alone at least 95% of the time. It's not that I don't enjoy the social aspects of riding with other people, it's just that I enjoy riding itself so much, that I'm not willing to give up ride time to deal with all of the meeting up, setting up, waiting around, etc. that's an inevitable part of group rides. My schedule doesn't always mesh well with others also. I enjoy the standing around chatting part while I'm doing it mostly, but I'm also frequently, like "ok, ready to go?" When riding by myself, I don't usually take any breaks, whereas in many group rides, I'll find that people might stop, sit down, take a break for 15-20 minutes, and that just kills me, my legs get all stiff. I like to keep moving. My preference is minimal breaks just to make sure people aren't lost. I like showing people new trails and all that, but I really just enjoy riding. I don't need to have other people around to make it fun. I think riding trails is fun just by itself.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Dirt Bound
    Does racing count as a group ride?

I work in the shop at an REI, so retail hours are my life. Most of the time I ride weekdays, somewhere between home and work when I have a closing shift. I also occasionally commute, though 25 miles each way eats a lot of time when there's a baby at home. So yeah, lots a solo riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I always ride solo.

Too much hassle riding with a group. I like following my own schedule, route and pace. And I'm not too much into "hotdogging."

banned
    Mar 2015
    love riding with groups but it's hardly ever convenient. mostly solo here but try to hit up group rides a couple of times per month.

mtbr member
    I used to ride with a buddy, but in the end, both his fitness and scheduling couldn't keep up. I've been riding solo for 6 years or so, and generally ride local 20 mile loops. I tell my wife where I'm going and show her my runkeeper file on our computer. I will tell her the trail and approximate time I'll be out.

If I don't come back, at least she know what trail I'm on and where to look.

I'll be 53 this summer and I think I will add a buddy or two for some rides as I seem to have a yearly crash these days. Last fall, I had a nice ac separation, but still rode home, then went to the ER. I figure that's a sign to find a partner again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    I tell my wife where I'm going and show her my runkeeper file on our computer. I will tell her the trail and approximate time I'll be out.

If I don't come back, at least she know what trail I'm on and where to look.

I'll be 53 this summer and I think I will add a buddy or two for some rides as I seem to have a yearly crash these days. Last fall, I had a nice ac separation, but still rode home, then went to the ER. I figure that's a sign to find a partner again.
    Buck up and get a personal locator beacon. Then, as long as you're able to activate it, there will be no question of your location. No search and rescue; just a rescue. Is it worth a flat <$300? You tell me. If you're worried you won't be able to activate your beacon, get a SPOT, which costs more and has ongoing subscription fees. Your location and progress will be searchable online without activating anything, and they have an emergency signal as well.

Solo riding doesn't have to be necky. Use the bean and tool up for the job.

mtbr member
    99% solo because I'm a teacher, husband, and father of a one-year-old. I very seldom know when I'm going to get to ride until the last minute, and then I throw my bike on the rack and go -- can't wait around for anyone if I want to go AT ALL.

But another reason is that at 37 years old, almost NONE of my old riding buddies has stuck with the sport, or they've moved away. It seems that a lot of people just give up on life at my age, and I don't have time for it (only one life, I'm gonna use mine to the fullest).

I do enjoy riding solo, even if it's a 6 hour epic. But I greatly miss the days when I worked in a bike shop and knew EVERYONE and always had a posse to ride with. Sadly, that has just faded away, and frankly, I am typically mildly annoyed with the mannerisms of most twenty-somethings I meet on the trails these days. I guess you could say I'm somewhat of a hermit, and after dealing with humanity all day and all week -- I do appreciate getting out into the mountains and grinding it out with my favorite Scandanavian black or death metal blaring on my ipod.
    Bikes belong in Wilderness areas.

mtbr member
    In the summer months I do a weekly group ride, but other than that all my rides are solo and I like it that way. Not that I dislike people, but I feel that being alone in the woods for a few hours 2-3x a week keeps me sane.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookieMonster View Post
    I am typically mildly annoyed with the mannerisms of most twenty-somethings I meet on the trails these days. I do appreciate getting out into the mountains and grinding it out with my favorite Scandanavian black or death metal blaring on my ipod.
    That's gonna open a can of worms! Can you put one of those orange sand dune flags on your bike? That'll let me know that you can't hear shit if I'm anywhere near you.

mtbr member
    I'm never alone. Always got this guy by my side herding me up the climbs and chasing my down the descents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How often do you ride solo?-imag0962.jpg  

mtbr member
    I try and ride as much as I can. Like most I'm a family man so that is a huge time suck. But every free moment I can come up with, I RIDE!!!!!! SO most of the time I'm solo but I'm always game for riding with others!

Having a trail dog would be awesome too ^^
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It seems like most of the time my rides are spur of the moment or my schedule dosen't coincide with others, so solo it is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast