mtbr member
    May 2008

How often do you buy a new bike?

How often do you buy a new bike and what's the typical depreciate hit (assuming you sell your old one)?

I buy one every 3 years or so. Typically spend about $2.5k on new bikes and depreciates about a grand after 4-5 years.

mtbr member
    I bought a new mountain bike 10 years ago. Everything since then has been a constantly evolving version of that same bike. Six or seven frames, four or five wheels, four forks, a dozen handlebars, three or four cranksets. Never the same bike for more than six months but always the same bike.

I bought stuff more frequently when I worked in a bike shop, ironically when I made a lot less money. Never paid more than $600 for a frame. Always bought what seemed like the best value for long term durability and future-proof compatibility. I can't even imagine justifying a $2500 bike at the rate they depreciate and succumb to planned obsolescence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I bought a new mountain bike 10 years ago. Everything since then has been a constantly evolving version of that same bike. Six or seven frames, four or five wheels, four forks, a dozen handlebars, three or four cranksets. Never the same bike for more than six months but always the same bike.
    Brings to mind an interesting philosophical question: when does it stop being the same bike?

since 4/10/2009
    Depends. Has been as short as 1yr. Has been as long as 11yrs. I don't always sell the old one, either.

I just bought a frame (used) for a new build about a month ago. Not selling anything to make room for it or to fund the build. Bought my last bike about 4yrs ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Brings to mind an interesting philosophical question: when does it stop being the same bike?
    All the time, and never. It's a paradox!

slow
    The last time I bought a brand new bike was 1993, when I was working in a shop and got an employee deal. Many years ago when I worked in bike shops I would sell my prior year's bike for the same price as whatever I was buying for the next season, so I never suffered any depreciation.

Since then my bikes have been evolving, much like Mack's. I have bought two used bikes in the past year for well below their original retail value, prefering to let someone else take the depreciation hit. Both of those recent purchases have already been through a fork change and at least one or two wheel set changes, as well as some crank and drivetrain mods and the usual seatpost, saddle, pedal, stem, and handlebar personalization. Hard to determine when the bike stops being the same bike.
    Last edited by sgltrak; 4 Days Ago at 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling typo

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    All the time, and never. It's a paradox!
    Schrödinger's bike!
    All Li es Matter

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Interesting responses so far especially with the bikes evolving. Do you always get deals on parts (or buy 2nd hand)? I know the parts can add up quick.

I love my youngest bike (2016) and have upgraded/ customized a decent amount. But since it's non-boost and I'd like to eventually upgrade the wheels, I'm torn on whether non-boost will make the wheelset obsolete with new frames these days.

I usually try to get bikes on closeout so the depreciation isn't as much. Even with the initial expense, I figure t's a lot cheaper than a gym membership or my other hobby - riding stand up jet skis.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Interesting responses so far especially with the bikes evolving. Do you always get deals on parts (or buy 2nd hand)? I know the parts can add up quick.

I usually try to get bikes on closeout so the depreciation isn't as much. Even with the initial expense, I figure t's a lot cheaper than a gym membership or my other hobby - riding stand up jet skis.
    Sometimes I do, sometimes not. I used to be willing to go gray market, but not anymore, with the risk of counterfeits and no warranty and such. I would rather just buy used.

For my current build, it will have a mix of stuff on it. Some full retail, some used, some online deals, some limited access deals, etc. I don't have much of a parts bin, so it won't really have anything that was on a previous bike of mine.

Depreciation isn't really a factor for me, since my goal is to keep it for a long time. I also happen to ride one of the most popular sizes, so it is rare for me to find closeouts on anything I want.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Typically spend about $2.5k on new bikes and depreciates about a grand after 4-5 years.
    after 4 years you slang a 2.5k bike for 1.5k? gtfo with that. ripoff artist. you bike is barely worth that after you ride it at all...

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I don't buy new bikes at all, ever, in history, and I say the same for cars because it's just burning money with how fast things depreciate. The 2 most recent bikes/frame's I've purchased, both in the past 4 years, are a 2012 SC BLT2 and a 1996 Voodoo Djab which is a SS now. Both are my go to bikes depending on what/how I want to ride. Unless I move back to Colorado which I've considered a + or fat bike, I don't really have any intention on buying something else until I break one of these.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    For MTBs, 8-10 years

Depreciation is total, so I try to track $/km since I often use my bikes for general transportation. Oddly, they usually bottom-out at about $0.25/km almost regardless of the initial cost, as drivetrain and consumable replacements take over as the driver of costs vs the initial investment.

I too have been spooked out of the used market after seeing how convincing some knock-off parts look. Fine for water bottle cages, not happening for frames and handlebars.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    after 4 years you slang a 2.5k bike for 1.5k? gtfo with that. ripoff artist. you bike is barely worth that after you ride it at all...
    I typically get the bike on closeout (~30-40% off), so it's more like a $3.5k bike. And I often put some $ into it with upgrades. But selling a used bike for over a grand can be a PITA.

jcd's best friend
    Hard to say with bikes these days. I was in the market for a Gen 1 Santa Cruz Bronson but everyone wanted well over $2k for their bikes on Pink Bike. I was finding some lower end Gen 2's for that price, both new and used!
    Trek | Octane One | Transition

mtbr member
    I typically buy used. My last two bikes were purchased 1-2 years old at 60% savings off new. I ride about 300 hrs/year and between my 3 bikes I may experience $200/year depreciation total.

Barely in control
    One every couple of years but this year I've bought three. I also broke two so that is a net +1 lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I buy way less often than I want----currently on a 2016 Pivot 429T and would like a new bike but having trouble finding one to fit my needs----seems enduro is the new thing and I need a mid travel 29er and the new models are not enough different---So I will buy when I find one.
    I expect to get less than 50% of what I paid for the Pivot---I see crazy asking prices on craigslist and pinkbike ---but I think reality is used bikes are not worth much

Snow Dog
    I have had 4 bikes in my life:
    1. 1981 Mongoose Supergoose - bought with saved up lawn mowing money
    2. 1987 Mongoose Californian Pro - bought with money from working at Bob Evans
    3. 1994 Trek Mountain Track 830 - bought with money from teaching drum lessons
    4. 2015 Surly krampus - bought with tax return

still have all but the Supergoose, which was stolen from our garage, so depreciation was sort of irrelevant to me
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Typically every two seasons. I spare no expense in my builds and buy what I want. With that I'll buy parts over the winter and shop the best deals I can find for my builds. This makes a BIG difference in the build for the same cost as a high end factory offering. I'm really happy with my current bike and will be strapping some new parts on over the winter. I ride a lot over the summer season and just parts/wear and tear will go $800-$1200. My summer life basically revolves around mountain biking so I try to get the most out of it while my body is still functioning as it should.

Currently I'm debating building a mid fat or fat bike to try and get in some winter miles. That idea is competing with a new split board kit or possibly even cross country skis which I've never done short of getting up the mtn. I'm a fair weather rider but need to find something engaging over the winter to stay sane. The gym just doesn't cut it anymore and I'm done with resort skiing/snowboarding.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a 2011 and my new bike is a 2014. I don't plan on getting anything new for a long time. Also
    both of my frames were made in the USA.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    New bike every year, one of the benefits of working at a shop. With the discount I can usually break even... But based off MSRP I'm depreciating it nearly 50% after just one year of riding.

mtbr member
    The wife and myself have been riding for the last year and a half. 10 bikes during that time from a 400.00 Electra to a 7200.00 Kona and all in between. still have 7 of the 10

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Well I just started biking this year but so far I have bought a 6KU single speed (road bike), built (out of mostly used parts) a Sunday Soundwave (BMX), bought and sold a Cannondale Trail5 and bought a used Niner WFO9. About to buy a hardtail in Dec/Jan (Nukeproof Scout).

After that I think I will be done for a while other then some upgrades to the hardtail, BMX and 6KU. I built the BMX to last me a long time and 6KU does everything I need from a road bike. The only thing I want is a vintage cruiser built klunker style.

Moderator Moderator
    My last purchase was in November 2014. I recently sold it and going to buy a new FS today or tomorrow. I've been wanting a FS for a while, so I'm pulling the trigger after riding hardtails or rigids for my entire life.

My next purchase will be a gravel bike hopefully. Hoping to race next year on gravel roads.

With that I said, I tend to keep my bikes for a long time.

mtbr member
    Every 5 years.

I buy new and do not worry about depreciation on a toy. I don't buy bikes based off of selling them, only riding them.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    I don't buy bikes based off of selling them, only riding them.
    No doubt.
    I usually make my buds with less disposable income or not as into riding a good deal on my bikes. This has really helped several of them get more into riding and has helped me with a wider array of reliable people to ride with. Sometimes value goes beyond monetary.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I'd say I avg a new bike to me every 5 years, give or take. Some last longer, some shorter. I probably tinker with them all and sell some parts to keep the bin reasonable. I never buy new at the moment of release. I tend to buy sale, NOS, discounted or used parts. I've only had one 10spd. Everything I currently have or maintain is 9spd or SS and possibly swapable. I have the desire, but neither the funds nor the head nod from the wife. I do what I can with what I got. It's just how I roll.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    No doubt.
    I usually make my buds with less disposable income or not as into riding a good deal on my bikes. This has really helped several of them get more into riding and has helped me with a wider array of reliable people to ride with. Sometimes value goes beyond monetary.
    yes! I don't have enough disposable income to buy new bikes, but I have benefited from buying gear from other riders. we have a local forum with a "pay it forward" thread where we post gear and non-bike that we don't need. in turn, as my career has advanced, I have felt more free to give away stuff that I am not using. I used to be the one always jumping on freebies but lately I have been giving more back than accepting donations. it comes full-circle eventually and the young, broke rider to whom you gave some half-used up tires becomes the biggest trail advocate and trail buddy in a year or two.

mtbr member
    Not enough apparently.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Bikesexual
    I've gone a little crazy, and have 5. The SS which IF the girlfriend continues her interest in riding, it will be hers. 92 GT Karakoram that its in the works ($40 bucks I think I paid at a yard sale)

The 3 on my signature get all the mileage, however, I'm still want a steel HT. I've been pondering selling my Heckler but that's a tough call.

I also don't care about re-sale too much, since I've finally have my stable as I want it.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Frame change.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Frame change.
    This is actually the rule in racing, right?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

EMBA Member
    Bought my bike in 2012. The frame has resisted all attempts I've made to break it. I need to try harder evidently, but until then, I expect I'm just gonna keep on keepin on.

mtbr member
    I bought an entry-level hardtail in 2012 strictly because it was what I could afford at the time ($1,100 budget). It was my first bike in 20 years, but I only rode off and on over the last 15 years or so.

I built up the 2012 with a lot of new components over the last six years, added a dropper, upgraded the fork, wheels, bars, 1x drivetrain, etc. It's a fun bike on a really solid frame, but I just bought a full suspension bike last week. I'm really looking forward to a softer ride in the rooty, rocky New England terrain that I ride.

I plan on putting studded tires on the hardtail and using it as a winter beater.
    AreBee