How many older riders riding with much younger riding buddies- Mtbr.com
    gray hair in my shammy

How many older riders riding with much younger riding buddies

I've got at least 16 years on the guys I ride with, they're all around 30. I keep up, but I have to hammer, sometimes I can still hurt them a little. I look at the group ride as one of my hard efforts for the week. As I approach 50, I'm wondering how much longer I can keep up.
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Ride with young

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Bashturd
    I've got at least 16 years on the guys I ride with, they're all around 30. I keep up, but I have to hammer, sometimes I can still hurt them a little. I look at the group ride as one of my hard efforts for the week. As I approach 50, I'm wondering how much longer I can keep up.

I am 50 but many of the people I ride with are younger...Their ages range from 17 to 48.
    Find some fat guys to ride with and you'll do just fine!

Jan 2004

I see it alot

Recently, in my area, I've seen a couple of older guys group rididng with much younger, and much more advanced riders. I bet that if you ride with younger guys then you should be able to stay in shape. I know sixty year olds who can bust harder at extreme sports than I and Im only 20...kinda sad.

I already rode that
    The guys I usually ride with are all older then me, starts off afew years and one guy is about 15 years older then me. The other year we all went in the local first race of the year The Icebreaker. I thought one of my friends that was just 2 years older then me would've finished the 40km just behind me but he dropped out at the 20km mark and the oldest guy that rides with us finished it. I thought if anyone was gonna bail at 20km mark it was him. I was surprised and I got to bug my other friend about it too . Thing is he's a heavy smoker! Well ok he quit like 2 months ago but when he did that race he was smoking alot still.

nachos rule!
    Jan 2004
    my wife is 15 years younger than me (i'm 44) and she can definately put the hurt on me. overall i manage to hang with her and her 28 year old riding bud-ette though, on rigid single speeds at that. and i can still kill 'em both in a sprint, years on the road does that for you. wifey gets me every time on the downhill though, that girl is crazy fast. my bones/ligaments/tendons don't heal that fast anymore, so when it gets steep & gnarly i just gotta let her go..

-eric.
    plus a change, plus c'est la m'me chose - alphonse karr

Rollin' a fatty
    When riding in groups (which I don't do much anymore) I'm usually one of the old guys. I'm 38 and usually ride with guys on their 20s.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ride with guys 20 years younger than myself. I used to drop them on long grinding climbs, maybe because of my roadie days, but mostly believing that older guys can take pain better, longer.
    UntiI I hurt my knee.

Going downhills I used to passed them because of racing dirtbike during my younger years. Then on one downhill run, I crashed badly while yelling get out of the way. Because I didn't have the armour I used to wear during dirt racing days, I had to be x-rayed, stitched and patched up. It was then I found out I shouldn't be doing crazy things anymore. I am 58 years young.

Mar 2004
    If "riding" means a reasonably high to very high effort 1-6 hours on a bike or playing in an old quarry with body protection, my one fellow middle-aged pal and I are usually 10-30 years older than those with us.

My biggest mentor and inspiration for outdoor activities skied her last Berkibiner and gave up alpine at 76, was still riding her bike moderately and having pints at the pub at 90, and quite sadly broke her hip recently which is usually the beginning of the end.

I know genes have a lot to do with it, but I plan to (have to) push hard 'cause I have new twins at an age when many I grew up with have kids in college.

TNC
    noMAD man

If you keep at it, you can keep it up.

I'm 52. I've always stayed fit. I never had kids, so I've played all my life, and I've been a gearhead all my life. Been married to the same understanding woman for over 30 years, so not a lot of emotional stress. I mainly ride with younger guys in their 20s, but have one riding buddy who's 58--and he can still hammer. I just retired and now work at a bike shop part time to stay around an activity I love. I'm gonna ride my bikes and dirt motorcycle until they have to carry me off on a stretcher. You might have to slow down a little, you might have to be a little more careful, but you can keep doing it if you want to. If you really love it, just keep doing it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm also middle aged at 43,
    I've had several riding partners 20 yrs younger and they usually disappear,luckily i'm a self motivated person and injoy riding by myself.I enjoy long rides,doing 20mi loops and they liked starting at point (a) with a vehicle at point(b).I like a mix of climbs and decends,they liked all down hill.I'm a humble person but must admit,i'm one of those 4% body fat riders so i would smok'em on the climbs.
    At 43 i'm a smarter rider,therfor i ride within my boundaries to prevent careless injuries.
    I hav'nt had a riding partner in over a year and still look foward to every ride.

34N 118W

60 vs. 30s

one guy we regularly ride with is 60. The rest of us are med. - late 30s. He's retired and rides his FS bike daily. I'm 39, ride a singlespeed, and consider myself fit, but dammit if he's not almost always the first one to the top of the climbs. Fast coming down too. I can only hope that I'm spankin' punks 20 years from now on my old retro singlespeed.

for more along these lines, look into Don McLung in Salida, CO. Scary fast old guy & framebuilder.

HW

Mashers Only!!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercorsa
    my wife is 15 years younger than me (i'm 44) and she can definately put the hurt on me.

-eric.
    Nice!!! You are my new hero!!!

HUGH

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am the young guy at 22. On the MTB, I've been riding alot with a 45 YO. We are pretty much evenly matched since we are both Sport racers, but when I pull out my roadie for hill repeats .

Then like all of my road rides are with the local Triathlon club, and all the guys who I ride with are around 40.

mtbr member

Usually just ride solo.....

Approaching 55, it is hard to find people my own age who still do anything remotely active. A couple of my buddies are within a year of me and we do ride, ski and surf together but most of the time it is easier to just ride when I want and not try to arrange groups. My one consistant companion is my wife, TurboB!tch, and she is almost 6 years younger than me.

The few times I have gotten a group together, I have been the oldest or close to it.

I find far more company around my age as a ski instructor. Even there I tend to lose the group (aside from my previously mentioned buddies) when I drop into the bumps or trees.

So far, no major trouble keeping up though. I often ride fairly technical trails where speed is not a factor. I can walk as fast as others can ride if it comes to that.

One big advantage to "aging" is racing. Not much competition in the over 50 group. I like to compare my results to the groups under 50 and usually end up somewhere in the middle of the pack when all racers are considered but on top or close to it in my age group.

Sh!t, do all old people ramble on like this......? Am I old? I always figured middle age started at 50 and old age at death at which point it was too late to worry.

mtbr member

One clarification. I get dropped big time doing DH

No way can I keep I with younger riders when riding lift served. It may be a fear factor but I can not bring myself to keep up.

The Sentinel

I'm 41, he's 15

And I'm 240 and he's 130...there's no way in hell I can keep up on the climbs. But on the descents, that's another story. He only wishes he could descend like me!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member

... and if we just ... I ride with mostly younger friends.........

These guys range from early twenties to 47/48....I'm to be 58 this summer. I am not a climber, never have been but I do keep up fairly well most of the time. I can stay with them pretty well on the downhills though. I do find after a few injuries that the "thrill" tends to come as a slower speed on the downhills. The cool thing though is this....friends don't mind if you are slower even if being slower bugs me. I have the greatest riding partners ever.......gotta love it.
    Dave

Ride what you want!!
    Our group is from early 20's to mid 50's, age doesn't determine who the fast guy is. We have a kid in HS who rides with us once in a while, good technical skills, no fear, but when the trail miles get big, he starts to wear out.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Ride Instigator

Hanging with the young'ns...

I'm 45 and most of the guys I ride with are in their early to mid 30s. I keep up pretty good but I drop back every now and then. They'l stop and wait and as soon as I pull up they'l say "ready?"...geez I never get a rest!

Around here, the only guys I know that ride who are my age...ride Harleys!

I'l stick to pedaling with the young'ns...it keeps me young

www.derbyrims.com

I keep up OK

As and older guy myself I'd suggest if you ride a lot and don't have a high quality full suspension bike you should get one. It really takes much of the pain out of longer rides as long as you are hydrating well and keeping the electrolites up, and it's easier to keep your pace up and momentum through rougher areas.

I'm 53 and my regular ride buds are just turning 40 now. I keep up pretty close and lead sometimes if I'm having a good day. I'm better in the flats and downhills and usually lead there. I ride to feel good, not to challenge pain. 2 of them do tri's a few times a year and they are signing up for the Hell of the West roadie race that climbs insane vertical in the Sierra Nevada over the passes south of Tahoe every summer (or whatever the name is now).

Age is not a big factor in your endurance and for the joy of riding. Keep riding frequently at least 3 times a week on average and you'll have fun riding for decades to come. Find a good athletic chiropractor if you have chronic pains or persisting weakness and limit alcohol.

- ray

Jan 2004
    I'm 15 to 30 years older than most of the folks I ride with. Love it, but they're killing me. ;-)

singletrack junkie
    Jan 2004

I'm not THAT old...

... but at 35 I am definetely not "young" any more. I normally ride with guys about my age (in their 30's) I do ocasionally ride with a guy that is 58 - he is usually the last one up a climb, and the last one down the hill (but not by much). As the ride approaches epic length, the wait for him gets shorter and shorter. Endurance is definetely his strength - he gets it from from a lifetime of mountaineering and ski touring.

Ocasionally I ride with a group of guys in their early 20's. They huck with the best of them, but can't climb worth sh!t (due to their 40 lb bikes) and aren't really any faster downhill than me (unless it was full of huge drops and gaps) and would not even consider doing a ride with more than 1000 vert. or over 15 miles long.

If you ride consistantly, over time you will slow down - but endurance will do nothing but go up.

Mashers Only!!
    Its funny. The more I read this thred the more I realize I don't pay attention to how old my riding buddies are. We have some smokin fast upper 40s and we have some slow 20ish riders. We even ride with this guy named Bob, he is in his lower 70s AND rides a singlre speed!!! Not fast but he is riding. I don't care about your age, color, gender, whatever..... As long as you ride!!!

HUGH

mtbr member
    One of my main riding buddies is 40 while I'm 24. He's really active and does offroad sprint tri's, he runs quite a bit and usually has more endurance than me, but we are fairly evenly matched most of the time. He's in better shape than me overall, he could probably beat me in a race since he races tri's, but we seem to like to ride at nearly the same pace on regular rides.

I plan on being active late into my life, and really think staying active will make me feel younger as I grow older.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Only as young as you feel...........

I'm 60, with 30 years of biking experience. I ride with other kids thare in the 20 to 40 years young range and also ride with AK Dave once in a while. My leg speed is slower but my love for the ride, especially the rooty, rocky trails around Anchorage and central Alaska grows as the days go by! My hill climbing is slower than the youngsters but i still have so much fun trying to keep up with them! Ride on!

Apr 2004

I'm 57 and riding a Stumpjumper. My second one. (they last me ten years easy) lol

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    What I really hate is when the old farts kick my a$$. ;^P

There's a guy in my road club who is retired and is 60 +/- years old (15-20 years older than me). He can ride circles around me, but he's such a sweetie he waited for me several times last year to give me a wheel to draft when I was getting back into shape after an injury.

Kathy ;^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001

I'm in the Middle...

My riding buddy is 47, I'm 28, and his sons are 18 and 14. He beats me on some climbs and I kill em on the DH's, his 14 year old though, he's nic is winch boy, cuz he climbs like he's on a winch, and now he's starting to DH really well. I figure that young'ns either going to kill me or keep me young!!.

OLE!
    Aaron G.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

XCdude

My riding(training) buddies are anywhere from 5 to 15

years younger than me, I'm 40. I have no trouble keeping up with most of them. Maybe the reason we see so many olders riders is due to a least a few factors, health reason, we know about life, have disposable income, didnt have time before.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic
    La leyenda del Dorado