How many link in your chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

How many link in your chain?

I just snapped my chain (the inside link) the other day. so I had to take out 3 links, and put 1 quicklink. Before that, I intentionally took out 3 link and put 1 quicklink just to shortened my chain to get more tension. I did this on my old bike as well.
    Now I counted mine has 108 links including the 2 quicklinks, that means originally I had 112 links with 3x10. now I run 1x10 drivetrain, with 32t ring, 11-36 cassette.
    My rear der is XT with long cage.

Do you think 108 links enough for my setup? How many link in your chain?

Happy trails,
    Inter

EDR
    large/ large + 1 inch is a general rule. If you have a FS make sure it cycles ok...you could let the air out of the shock first and compress it.

I have no idea how many links are in my chain, never counted.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Chain Length Sizing

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    large/ large + 1 inch is a general rule.
    ^this. My rule of thumb is almost the same "large-large plus 2 links". Has worked to this point.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    ^this. My rule of thumb is almost the same "large-large plus 2 links". Has worked to this point.
    2 linkies = 1 inch, lol

OP: To be honest I just put the chain in middle/middle and use a length that puts my rear der. between 4 and 5 o'clock position. Always works for me and my suspension but it's just easier to offer the "standard" advice of large/large + inch. In the end it's the same for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry, i dont understand, "large / large plus 2 links". How many links are those?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    Sorry, i dont understand, "large / large plus 2 links". How many links are those?
    You don't count the links. You loop the chain around the big sprocket and big chain ring, then add 2 links to the equation.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    There is no 'proper' amount of links. It depends on your drivetrain, your bike, your suspension, etc... That's why they come so big, you are supposed to cut them to proper length.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Chain Length Sizing

shimano chain sizing - Google Search

mtbr member
    A link count is nearly meaningless because even w/ the same chainring and cog sizes (less and less likely as the the variety of drivetrains explodes), chainstay length differs.

Here's a diagram that depicts exactly what posters above said.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many link in your chain?-sram_chain_length.png  

EDR

it's really quite simple

Quote Originally Posted by Snfoilhat View Post
    A link count is nearly meaningless because even w/ the same chainring and cog sizes (less and less likely as the the variety of drivetrains explodes), chainstay length differs.

Here's a diagram.
    All that may be true but lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill for the poor OP.

OP, just route the chain over the biggest rear cog and the biggest front ring...do not include the rear der. Then add 1 inch (2 links) and cut. Unless you have a full ss rig this will do, and even if you do have a fs bike, it works out just fine on most bikes. (although I still recommend simply letting the air out and compressing the suspension as you make this measurement..just to be sure)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks guys.
    So far my bike shift normally, so i guess the chain length is good.
    Have a nice weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0