How many calories do you eat/day?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How many calories do you eat/day?

A thread in the passion section touched on this, but i wanted to ask it directly.

How many cals do you eat a day? Whats your diet like? And is it different during the summer/winter?

Just curious

~Disc~Golf~
    4-5000
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    4-5000
    And half of that is in cookies, ice cream and twinkies

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    on average 3000 calories/day

Fat-tired Roadie
    A little short of 3000 lately.

My personal record was 5000. I was training in something else pretty seriously.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I have no idea.
    :wq

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapped (o) Hole
    And half of that is in cookies, ice cream and twinkies
    haha, But I don't eat sweets...
    I haven't figured in my calories for beer tho...should I?

mtbr member
    like 1800 when I'm counting them for nutrition purposes..

like...2500-3500 when I'm not. lol

Is that Bill rated?
    Too many.
    Well, it was a good try.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joshman108

How many cals do you eat a day? Whats your diet like? And is it different during the summer/winter?

Just curious
    According to my bathroom scale lately, a bit more than I am burning
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Never less than 4000 calories during the summer when I rode all the time. Kept losing weight anyway so I'm assuming I had a caloric deficit from riding so much (plus I'm 6'2" so my BMR is probably a bit higher than normal). I eat a lot of carbs and protein for the most part with a small amount of fat. More of a result of eating a lot of Italian food and steak/chicken than careful planning.

My diet is pretty much the same during the winter, just trimmed down to ~2500 calories a day at most because I really don't need the extra energy when I'm not riding constantly.

Retired User
    My problem is not the number of calories I eat, it's the calories I drink

mtbr member
    I have been keeping my cals at a deficit for a few months now. I have lost around 30lbs- using richard simmons dancing to the oldies..... kidding about the last part, I got sick of being so damn tired going uphill something needed to change. I dont get crazy enough about it to count them all, I just watch what I eat. No sweets, soda, HFCS, or anything else fatty.I pretty much try to drink only water or coffee w/ skim milk. I will have some tea (natural sugars) or skim milk with dinner. I do drink some beer on the weekends and I usually do drink the dark and dense kind. Nobody's perfect! I have kind of bottomed out weight wise- I am around 162 now, but I am only like 5'6" tall. I would like to get around 150 but it will be a real struggle- hopefully spring and summer can give me that extra push. Right now, the weather is bad and the trainer is pretty much my only option. As dumb as this sounds, if you just make your mind up that you are going to lose weight, it is that easy to get going. Just like everything in life, if you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    2500 maintain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    6'5" 230 lbs. Currently counting calories to lose some weight. I eat 1,850 + whatever I burn with exercise to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week. When I add in daily exercise calories back into my consumption, that puts me at about 2,300 calories per day. I would be closer to 3,000 if just maintaining.

Would like to be 220, or less, by end of March.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    2,000 - 2,500. Whole grains, lean protein (fish, poultry, eggs), healthy fats, fruits and vegetables. And cheese. I love cheese. I don't care if they discover that cheese causes you to grow a third testicle, ima gonna eat it.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Hmmm a million or so, someone has to keep this boyish figure.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member

Approximately net 1850 per day...

But varies during the week. Some days I'll have maybe 1400, other days maybe 3000+. But over the course of the week I'll net out at:

1850/day x 7 days = 12,950 per week - 10% slush factor (or about 1000) = 12,000 net cals per week.

I pretty much eat whatever I want - just not all the time and not always in massive quantities. But I do bias my food in favor of proteins, vegs, fruit, and whole grains, with minimal "white" foods.

I'll usually plan a huge net deficit day once a week to give me caloric "room" to eat alot more on another day or two.

Yesterday I had a delicious cheesecake from Cheesecake factory!

Below shows last week's net calorie intake - ended up about 700 less than target, or about 12,250 cals.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

~Disc~Golf~
    How do some of you guys even survive on sub 2K calories?
    what do you eat?
    Bird seed?
    F-That!

mtbr member
    I associate the feeling of hunger as a good thing, it means that I am doing something right. I used to eat until I was full and then some. Now, if I am still hungry it means that I ate just right. I still over do it on holidays and get together's, but just make sure I hop right back on the bus the next day.

mtbr member
    what do you eat?
    Bird seed?
    F-That!
    I eat pretty much anything, just not all the time in any amount. I just track and modify my intake accordingly to net out at about 1850/day on average.

Its NET 1850 calories for me. So like today, going on an hour+ ride that I wear a HR monitor dialed to my weight and will burn approx 750 calories. I'm 5'10", 158 lbs, pretty lean (30 waist).

So I'll probably end up eating about 2700 calories today.

On long ride days, I may end up eating about 3500+ calories.

Or otherwise I'd just crap out on the ride.

mtbr member
    what do you eat?
    Bird seed?
    F-That!

Actually i calculated it exactly the other day, and im around 1600 a day.
    The only way i do it is because i weigh 140, which isnt much, and dont do anything during the winter. I sit in classes all day, then sit and do homework all night. Apparently sitting doesnt take many calories.

But healthy foods dont have many cals, and i dont eat much meat

mtbr member
    May 2006
    2500 in the winter down from 3500 in the summer.

~Disc~Golf~
    Actually i calculated it exactly the other day, and im around 1600 a day.
    The only way i do it is because i weigh 140, which isnt much, and dont do anything during the winter. I sit in classes all day, then sit and do homework all night. Apparently sitting doesnt take many calories.

But healthy foods dont have many cals, and i dont eat much meat
    Man... still I sometimes don't do shlt - well not like I'm racing all day, and I'd be starving!
    I'm 6'0" 170 so I'm not exactly huge - don't know how you guys do it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    unforunantly 4,000- 4200. have only been maintaining weight after going 30 pounds in a year. need to consume les. or work out more and not have the urge to snack. which is a problem for me. in addition to my addiction to snacks.
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

TRANCER
    I also have no clue. I kind of eye ball it. A bit more the days I ride etc.
    Ride

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by tcapri87
    ... in addition to my addiction to snacks.
    "snacking" is good for you vs. big meals - according to them scientists

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't know and I really don't care, 6'2'' 140lbs I eat some crap but mostly healthy foods. only eat out once or twice a week. I don't know how some of you guys limit your calories. Why? eat when your hungry, eat healthy, whole foods and you should be good as long as you burn more than you take in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    I don't know and I really don't care, 6'2'' 140lbs I eat some crap but mostly healthy foods. only eat out once or twice a week. I don't know how some of you guys limit your calories. Why? eat when your hungry, eat healthy, whole foods and you should be good as long as you burn more than you take in.
    Wowza that's thin. At my 5'10" I wouldn't really want to get below 150.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    "snacking" is good for you vs. big meals - according to them scientists
    which has been disputed by others... While I do prefer eating many small meals, eating one giant meal of your daily caloric need will not cause you to gain weight...

Calories needed=calories eaten. If the two sides of the equation match, you cannot gain weight

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko G
    which has been disputed by others... While I do prefer eating many small meals, eating one giant meal of your daily caloric need will not cause you to gain weight...

Calories needed=calories eaten. If the two sides of the equation match, you cannot gain weight
    I think the 'many small meals' argument was for maintiaining blood sugar levels and whatnot...but I'm no food scientist

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think the 'many small meals' argument was for maintiaining blood sugar levels and whatnot...but I'm no food scientist
    I'd heard that too.

Also, a person's less likely to be starving and overeat at the big meal or meals. And it's easier to digest a snack than a huge meal - less of that sluggish feeling.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Not enough, I'm sure. I am a terrible creature of habit. I have a bowl of cereal & 3 cups of coffee, black.....lunch is deli sliced roast beef with a slice of cheese on whole wheat sandwich bread.....dinner is whatever my wife decides to make. Never been a calorie counter.....most of the time I feel that eating is mostly a nuisance and waste of time.....just want to get something down & get back to work.

mtbr member
    I under eat and because of that I retain a lot of unwanted weight. It's hard to get past the mindset that sometimes you actually have to eat more to loose weight. That is were I am at right now. I'll be starting back in the gym on Thursday when classes resume and hopefully back on the bike some when the weather breaks. My goal is to shed about 50 pounds this summer.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

it's....
    I thought it kept the metabolism higher so you burn more calories.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko G

THIS is Fact. The other stuff (six small meals, etc.) is nutritional folklore (like most of the stuff being tossed around as nutritional science) that has been promulgated without supporting, valid clinical research as really mattering in the real world.

The six-meals-a-day thing came from bodybuilders, who wanted to ingest an enormous amount of calories, and found the only way to do so was to carve up their caloric intake to six or more meals per day. This somehow carried over into the weight-loss industry and became a sacred cow.

"Metabolism" as it were, is mostly a thermodynamic equation - how much energy (The food calorie (symbol: Cal)[2] approximates the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 kilogram of water by 1 C. This is about 4.2 kilojoules.) does your body take to move, process, live. Metabolism is NOT some separate magic process that your "body" somehow tries to keep at some separate number. (That's for the 99.999% of the population unless you have a serious thyroid / hormone problem or do something really stupid like go anorexic or bulimic).

If you take in more calories than you expend, you gain weight. If you take in less calories than you expend, you lose weight. That's it. Simple, but not easy for most of us.

You can take in your calories in one meal a day, three meals a day, six meals or day, or fast one day and eat double calories the next day. You can eat in the morning, late at night, whatever. It really does not matter. Yes - I do ALL of the above depending on the circumstances or situation. But the one thing I do: I match my caloric intake = expenditure on a weekly basis. Your life should drive / determine your eating. Your eating should not drive / determine your life.

If you match your caloric intake to your activity level, that takes care of 90%+ of your weight target. All the other stuff (supposedly minimizing glycemic load, eating before 7pm, eating at 30/30/40, etc.) is just small potatoes when it comes to managing your weight.

Its just not that complicated. Most of our issues regarding eating and weight control really isn't about physical, measurable clinical markers (glucose level, etc.). Its emotional/mental. We eat for comfort, boredom, habit, social reasons, etc., even when we don't physically NEED the food.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist
    THIS is Fact. The other stuff (six small meals, etc.) is nutritional folklore (like most of the stuff being tossed around as nutritional science) that has been promulgated without supporting, valid clinical research as really mattering in the real world.

The six-meals-a-day thing came from bodybuilders, who wanted to ingest an enormous amount of calories, and found the only way to do so was to carve up their caloric intake to six or more meals per day. This somehow carried over into the weight-loss industry and became a sacred cow.

"Metabolism" as it were, is mostly a thermodynamic equation - how much energy (The food calorie (symbol: Cal)[2] approximates the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 kilogram of water by 1 C. This is about 4.2 kilojoules.) does your body take to move, process, live. Metabolism is NOT some separate magic process that your "body" somehow tries to keep at some separate number. (That's for the 99.999% of the population unless you have a serious thyroid / hormone problem or do something really stupid like go anorexic or bulimic).

If you take in more calories than you expend, you gain weight. If you take in less calories than you expend, you lose weight. That's it. Simple, but not easy for most of us.

You can take in your calories in one meal a day, three meals a day, six meals or day, or fast one day and eat double calories the next day. You can eat in the morning, late at night, whatever. It really does not matter. Yes - I do ALL of the above depending on the circumstances or situation. But the one thing I do: I match my caloric intake = expenditure on a weekly basis. Your life should drive / determine your eating. Your eating should not drive / determine your life.

If you match your caloric intake to your activity level, that takes care of 90%+ of your weight target. All the other stuff (supposedly minimizing glycemic load, eating before 7pm, eating at 30/30/40, etc.) is just small potatoes when it comes to managing your weight.

Its just not that complicated. Most of our issues regarding eating and weight control really isn't about physical, measurable clinical markers (glucose level, etc.). Its emotional/mental. We eat for comfort, boredom, habit, social reasons, etc., even when we don't physically NEED the food.
    this...

eat whatever you want, whenever you want, as much as you want... as long as calories in=calories out...

just dont go talking about this on bodybuilding.com, theres a lot of "experts" on that site

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    I thought it kept the metabolism higher so you burn more calories.
    could be part of the "whatnot"!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by bycyclist
    .... We eat for comfort, boredom, habit, social reasons, etc., even when we don't physically NEED the food.
    Not everyone - that's what my beer is for

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Year round seefood diet: see food, eat food.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    I don't keep track of calorie consumption all that religiously, but I have added up my usual intake previously.

I'm usually around 2250-2500 (1000-ish of which is usually consumed in the form of over-priced espresso drinks in the morning and cookies/ice cream for after dinner dessert) on an average work day when I'm not riding and around 2700-3000 when I ride due to the addition of a Clif bar during or after ride, post ride protein drink, and a slightly more filled out dinner.

Its got what plants crave
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that eats like ****.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Granny Gear Abuser

Upset

I eat like a fat kid, drink soda like a fat kid and ride slow like a fat kid.

I am a fat kid....

Bummer, well, at least I started at a gym not to long ago. Now I just need to find the motivation to keep going to the gym and eating less. Any ideas?
    Last edited by bentcog; 01-21-2011 at 05:46 AM.
    I am not worn out, I am just taking my bike for a walk!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    At 5' 10" and 205 lbs (damn those holiday gorge fests) I'm trying to shed 20 lbs or so (at least 10 before we run the Tough Mudder.) I run 3-4 times a week and ride 1-2 times (when the sun comes back up to our hemisphere I'll be flip flopping those and riding more.) I only know my calorie intake b/c I pack a lunch for work and eat the same oatmeal with flax every morning. B/t b'fast, lunch and an afternoon fiber bar I put in about 600 calories and 15 grams of fat. That leaves room for a healthy dinner and weight loss. If I'm riding I'll snack to prevent blood sugar levels from crashing (usually some simple sugars during the ride and jerky and/or lowfat chocolate milk after the ride.)
    All that being said, when I'm trying to lose weight I shoot for approx 1400-1600 calories and 20-25 grams of fat (not counting riding snacks.) And when I'm maintaining my weight I aim for around 2500 calories and no more than 30 grams of fat. I've cut white foods and all sodas out of my diet, and due to some gastro issues had to stop drinking (which helps with the weight loss but deprives me of my oh so lovely beer/tequila buzz.)
    earn it on the up, but do it for the down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples
    Wowza that's thin. At my 5'10" I wouldn't really want to get below 150.
    Agreed. Im 5'10 and 140 and i dont like it. I was 152 when I was lifting hard, but I stopped and dropped 12 lbs. That was 12 lbs of muscle i did not wanna lose. I dont like being under 150 either

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    Usually between 4500-5500 daily, to maintain.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    A thread in the passion section touched on this, but i wanted to ask it directly.

Just curious
    I just sort of eat a lot of food. I ride a lot of miles, with my average heart rate being in the high 160 to low 180 range for the duration of 2 1/2 hours, lots of altitude gain. I guess it all balances out.
    Dont frail and blow if youre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    1800-2000 per day to maintain my weight. And it is really hard for me to eat that little. Even at 2000 my weight will slowly edge up. I get paid to sit in a chair all day so even with an hour or so a day of riding/running/or heavy lifting that is all I can eat and not gain weight. When I was decades younger and paid to frame houses I averaged 5,000 - 5,500 per day. Eating was a lot more fun then...

Underskilled
    I try to stick to at least 1 squillion calories a day.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Members who have read this thread: 0