• 10-09-2008
    Ratt
    How do you safely buy off MTBR classified?
    Noob question here. Looking at a frame that is half way across the country but feel like i will be dropping $1.5k into a black hole and praying a bike frame comes out of it. tia
  • 10-09-2008
    emtnate
    paypal offers limited protection. I've bought and sold things off this and other forums and haven't been screwed. There's always the choice of public shaming. There is also enough local people on this board who would know the person you are buying from, and possibly kick their ass if they screw you over.
  • 10-09-2008
    retro-newb
    paypal should protect you ,also p.m. the guy/girl any ?'s you may have and ask for them to call ya. if it's on the up & up the guy/girl will call ya and should make the deal. as with anything tho buyer beware... not trying to scare ya at all but get plenty of pics and info and if they bought new ask for frame warranty info and if it can be transfered.

happy hunting ratt :thumbsup:
  • 10-10-2008
    Rock Climber
    Paypal protections is pretty limited outside of ebay (I know I got burned). I have heard of some people having the seller post it on ebay with a buy it now, and then calling you so you can bid, that way you get the real paypal protection. If you are really worried you can always do escrow, but that gets spendy.
  • 10-10-2008
    CharacterZero
    I buy/sell here with the same modus operandi utilized in Christianity:
    Blind Faith!
  • 10-10-2008
    Pisgah
    Judgement & Trust
  • 10-10-2008
    MattP.
    Look at their post count and their reputation on the forums.
  • 10-10-2008
    Bikinfoolferlife
    Swag or bribe to Francois would go furthest....:D

Oh....wait, you mean buying from the classifieds....never mind.