how do I lock my bike during a bike & camping trip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

how do I lock my bike during a bike & camping trip?

The car would be filled with camping gear. My bike rack doesn't have a lock.

I don't want to lose my specialized bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Umm...buy a 12 foot cable and a really good lock.........hello!!!

Proceed to secure said cable and lock through bike and rack and secure with lock.

since 4/10/2009
    Cable lock...even if your rack has a lock.

At night if you park near where you sleep, you don't have to be too careful since a potential thief would have to use a flashlight that would likely wake you up.

If you leave bikes at camp to shower or whatever, use a cable lock to lock them to the vehicle, of a long chain to lock to a tree. People at campgrounds are less likely to carry heavy bolt cutters and such, so even relatively minimal security is often fine. Of course that depends on where you are. Some camgrounds and trailheads have higher theft rates and you have to be aware.

mtbr member
    This is a silly question but I"m going to ask it here in hopes of not having to start a thread about it.

I've never used a U lock. I gather that you turn the key or enter code and then the straight bar removes from the "U." My question is does the bar only go up to the end of the U or can you pull it further so that you can snug the bike up to whatever you are locking it to? I'm contemplating using a U lock to lock my bike to a saris freedom rack (if that is the rack I go with) but I wouldn't want the U lock banging around.

Thanks

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    This is a silly question but I"m going to ask it here in hopes of not having to start a thread about it.

I've never used a U lock. I gather that you turn the key or enter code and then the straight bar removes from the "U." My question is does the bar only go up to the end of the U or can you pull it further so that you can snug the bike up to whatever you are locking it to? I'm contemplating using a U lock to lock my bike to a saris freedom rack (if that is the rack I go with) but I wouldn't want the U lock banging around.

Thanks
    All the bike-specific u-locks I have seen only lock on the end of the bar. I think that there are larger motorcycle style u-locks that have notches in them so you can snug them down.

If you are worried about it banging around, use a cable lock for transport and then add a u-lock when you get to your destination.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

mtbr member
    I always use a big cable and pad lock. Works great. Of couse if someone comes with cable cutters you are toast, but they are like most things. Deterant. There is no 100% secure locking method.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just use a couple of cable locks when I'm camping. Get a long one if you're going to lock it to a tree, sometimes it takes more cable than you were expecting. Make sure your homeowners/renter's insurance is up to date. Exercise some good karma.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think if you go with the cable lock that is the best. You may also deter someone by removing the seat and a wheel and putting just those in your car. Typically a bike thief wants to ride off on the bike - but not always. Also, can you fit the bike in your tent? I have a big tent made for my whole family and all their camping necessities...I have 2 daughters and my wife...none of them rough it!

Its a "3 room dome" style tent. I could easily fit a few bikes in the "east wing". Yes, I'm suggesting you sleep with your bike

ready to ride
    Cable locks are crap. You can seriously cut one into by using a garden shear or lopper with minimal effort. I had to cut one off because my son forgot the combination. I was surprised how little effort it took to cut the cable. I literally had it cut in less than 5 seconds.

Its not real cheap but buy 6 feet of the heaviest duty chain you can find, and a quality master lock. Use an old 29er tube, run the chain through it and zip tie the ends to the second to the last links. It is heavy as hell, but much better than a cable. I'm sure you can get through with a quality bolt cutter or grinder but I think both my chain and lock are rated at 10,000 pounds. I think it ran me about $40. Of course you can use longer lengths of chain if desired.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How about one of those motion sensor thingy's. That way you wake up if someone is messing with your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Cable locks are crap. You can seriously cut one into by using a garden shear or lopper with minimal effort. I had to cut one off because my son forgot the combination. I was surprised how little effort it took to cut the cable. I literally had it cut in less than 5 seconds.

Its not real cheap but buy 6 feet of the heaviest duty chain you can find, and a quality master lock. Use an old 29er tube, run the chain through it and zip tie the ends to the second to the last links. It is heavy as hell, but much better than a cable. I'm sure you can get through with a quality bolt cutter or grinder but I think both my chain and lock are rated at 10,000 pounds. I think it ran me about $40. Of course you can use longer lengths of chain if desired.
    i 2nd this. big ass chain and lock ftw.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    get a statue of your favorite god and pray to it that nobody steals it.. thats about all that you can do.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    get a statue of your favorite god and pray to it that nobody steals it.. thats about all that you can do.
    This and make sure your insurance policy covers it.

mtbr member
    A Mossberg 590A1 will make sure it is secure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    lol... you can always use a 3 dollar pipe cutter to cut the frame.. takes about half a minute, if that. seen that a million times.

Perpetual Hack
    I have a couple heavy gauge cables and some chain.
    Find LARGE tree on site out of direct lines of site.
    Cable bike to tree.
    Pull up large picnic table next to bike
    Cable bike to picnic table.
    Use third chain (cable) to string up other cables, thru bike and around tree and picnic table, locking the whole mess up. Cables will run thru the forks, wheels and frame several times...
    Stack misc camping gear on table as for normal nights. Stuff that makes noise easily
    Tent is next to tree/bike/table combo.
    Sleep VERY lightly.

On thing you can also use if required is the screw-in wire-rods with a closed loop welded on top; like what is used to chain up a dog.
    They take a bit to get them in the ground properly, but you can not pull one out by hand. A few of these can be used in a pinch in addition to something a bit more sturdy...

michael
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Sleep VERY lightly.
    You could tie some fishing line around the bike frame and tie the other end around your johnson. If someone walks off with the bike, that will be sure to wake you up.

I'm just messing with you
    Overnight I stuff mine up under the truck. I figure nobody's going to see it down there. I never let it out of my sight during the day but if I had to I'd lock it inside the camper or truck.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    I think if you go with the cable lock that is the best. You may also deter someone by removing the seat and a wheel and putting just those in your car. Typically a bike thief wants to ride off on the bike - but not always. Also, can you fit the bike in your tent? I have a big tent made for my whole family and all their camping necessities...I have 2 daughters and my wife...none of them rough it!

Its a "3 room dome" style tent. I could easily fit a few bikes in the "east wing". Yes, I'm suggesting you sleep with your bike
    it is too kinky to sleep with my bike. Thanks for suggestion anyway. *shudders*

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRuckus View Post
    All the bike-specific u-locks I have seen only lock on the end of the bar. I think that there are larger motorcycle style u-locks that have notches in them so you can snug them down.

If you are worried about it banging around, use a cable lock for transport and then add a u-lock when you get to your destination.
    I have the huge U lock for the bike. what kind of chain can I use to lock the bike to the tree? Does it have to be a huge chain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I put mine in my camper and lock the door.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

The car would be filled with camping gear. My bike rack doesn't have a lock.

I don't want to lose my specialized bike.
    Afraid the bears are gonna steal it? LOL jk..

Ride Instigator
    If you're camping, all your camping gear is OUT of the car isn't it? Take your wheels off and lock it in the trunk...out of sight is the best protection there is. Either that or cable lock it to a tree right next to your tent...where I go camping they have a lot of them trees

mtbr member
    There are two very expensive bikes locked up maybe 30 ft away in this picture. I was moving out of Flagstaff and the lease ran out 2 weeks before work did. So in a busy area just outside of town I camped and rode and worked until I left.

The bikes are camouflaged with an old tapestry and a bunch of brush and locked up like crazy to a large tree.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    How about one of those motion sensor thingy's. That way you wake up if someone is messing with your bike.
    Creatures stirring around at night in your camp sight would set it off. Oh yes, there's lots of nature going on at night in a camp ground that we are not quite aware of...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I'm pretty sure a very high percentage of vehicles have a BIC pen within. So if you are thinking of using a U-Lock / Forget About It "
    U-Lock Bic Pen Trick - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Put some bologna on it and the bear will protect it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I'm pretty sure a very high percentage of vehicles have a BIC pen within. So if you are thinking of using a U-Lock / Forget About It "
    U-Lock Bic Pen Trick - YouTube
    That was fixed years ago.

Members who have read this thread: 0