How the Bicycle changed the world for women- Mtbr.com
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator

How the Bicycle changed the world for women

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-bicycle...men-1834087720

This is a great article, I did not realize just how impactful the bike was not just for women's movements to gain fair treatment, but also for fashion.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Interplanetary Poultry
    "Bicycle face". Hilarious. I'm going to have to remember to use that one the next time I'm out on the bike.

Gotta say, I knew bike were great, but getting woman into bloomers, which evolved into pants, which evolved into Yoga pants? Man, bikes truly are awesome.
    . . . . . . . .

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    [email protected], The bloomer yoga pant movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    Cool read.

+1 for yoga pants, and volleyball shorts. Dunno who invented those but Thank you.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

No known cure
    I haven't forgave them for the Temperance Movement or other backwards thinking.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Human shaped object
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I haven't forgave them for the Temperance Movement or other backwards thinking.
    Oh, you silly human. Temperance was started by ministers of churches. Men had all the power, women didn't even have the right to vote, how on earth can the blame be put at their feet? Prohibition ended in 1917, women got the right to vote in 1920.
    Life is the sieve through which my anarchy strains, resolving itself into works

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    Oh, you silly human. Temperance was started by ministers of churches. Men had all the power, women didn't even have the right to vote, how on earth can the blame be put at their feet? Prohibition ended in 1917, women got the right to vote in 1920.
    Simple history reveals that these women were destroying bars and pubs, and burning them down. Prohibition was between 20-33, and not only that, I was shitposting. Your mom called, says it's time for your nap.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Gotta say, I knew bike were great, but getting woman into bloomers, which evolved into pants, which evolved into Yoga pants? Man, bikes truly are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    [email protected], The bloomer yoga pant movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    +1 for yoga pants, and volleyball shorts. Dunno who invented those but Thank you.
    Hmmm, so someone posts an article celebrating the gains women have made towards equal treatment as they relate to the bicycle and literally the first three comments are celebrating the objectification of women for male enjoyment. Stay classy MTBR.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Hmmm, so someone posts an article celebrating the gains women have made towards equal treatment as they relate to the bicycle and literally the first three comments are celebrating the objectification of women for male enjoyment. Stay classy MTBR.
    This.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Bikesexual
    No joking around people, it's offensive.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    No joking around people, it's offensive.
    I'm not offended, I'm ashamed.

Bikesexual
    I'm not offended, I'm ashamed.
    Well you don't know anything about me right? So you are probably assuming I'm a pig to women, and a sexist.

It was just a silly internet joke, I love and respect women, and find how they have been treated through history disgusting.

My Mom was a single mother that moved to a country she knew very little about, to give me a better life.

We should ask her how I really treat women, except now she will look you in the eye and smile, she has dementia, and I'm her full time caregiver. So, nothing to be ashamed of. Btw it took all of me to write about that in this context, but people get pissed about the silliest things on the internet without knowing a thing about that person's life.

I'm sure you never looked at a pretty girl with your buddies, and made some silly comment.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Well you don't know anything about me right? So you are probably assuming I'm a pig to women, and a sexist.

It was just a silly internet joke, I love and respect women, and find how they have been treated through history disgusting.

My Mom was a single mother that moved to a country she knew very little about, to give me a better life.

We should ask her how I really treat women, except now she will look you in the eye and smile, she has dementia, and I'm her full time caregiver. So, nothing to be ashamed of. Btw it took all of me to write about that in this context, but people get pissed about the silliest things on the internet without knowing a thing about that person's life.

I'm sure you never looked at a pretty girl with your buddies, and made some silly comment.
    Sorry to hear about your mom.

I'm not pissed and I don't assume that you are any of those things. My point isn't that you three are terrible people to say it, my point is that it's a sad state of affairs when the very first three posts in a thread that should be empowering, or at the bery least something they can relate to, to women refer to oogling their butts in yoga pants. You seem like a reasonable enough guy that you should be able to understand where I'm coming from. If you can't, then yes I do think all those things about you, regardless of how much you say you respect women.

Bikesexual
    Sorry to hear about your mom.

I'm not pissed and I don't assume that you are any of those things. My point isn't that you three are terrible people to say it, my point is that it's a sad state of affairs when the very first three posts in a thread that should be empowering, or at the bery least something they can relate to, to women refer to oogling their butts in yoga pants. You seem like a reasonable enough guy that you should be able to understand where I'm coming from. If you can't, then yes I do think all those things about you, regardless of how much you say you respect women.
    It's all good, and I do get your point.

IMHumbleO, when you guys flip it into degrading women, then it becomes that, instead of leaving it as what they were, jokes.

In the article itself talks about how the bicycle changed women's fashion, today the wear close to nothing, so things are progressing. Any idiot that thinks a woman is less than a man, is just super old, or a super idiot.

Funny that this morning, I was telling my fiancee who is not into bikes, how cool this article was, and how the bike empowered women back then.

Just because on line someone throws in a joke, doesn't mean that's how they behave in a real situation.

Rant over.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Human shaped object
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Simple history reveals that these women were destroying bars and pubs, and burning them down. Prohibition was between 20-33, and not only that, I was shitposting. Your mom called, says it's time for your nap.
    shitposting.

[ˈSHitˌpōstiNG]

NOUN

vulgar slang

the activity of posting deliberately provocative or off-topic comments on social media, typically in order to upset others or distract from the main conversation

By your own admission, you were being deliberately provocative. And you are surprised that someone was provoked? "Only shitposting" isn't that good of an excuse if you are trying to distance yourself from the blowback.
    Also, the history I was citing regarding Temperance was taken from the Wikipedia page on Temperance. I apologize for the errors, but stand by the fact that the movement was started by church elders.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_movement

mtbr member
    I liked the article and thought it an interesting read. In the grand scheme of things nothing's really changed though. The powerful elite still dictate the masses and perhaps more effectively than ever as people will vehemently defend that which oppresses them. I think at some point Idiocracy will become a documentary.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

banned
    Nov 2014
    Great article. I know that some of those „short hair in your face you male pig“ feminists would disagree with me, but feminist activists did less for women than technology did.

Think about not only bikes, but even more important about anti-baby pill, or sanitary facilities. And think about that in indirect ways women could go and educate themselves cause they did not have to be pregnant or in the field all the time. Medicine makes sure that children survive so they do not need to have a bunch of them, and mechanized agriculture provides enough food for all.

And yes, bikes made everyone, and in particular women, more mobile and free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Just because on line someone throws in a joke, doesn't mean that's how they behave in a real situation.
    I think you are thinking of this forum like a group of your buddies. If you said that joke around a few guy friends it would be exactly what you said; a harmless joke. Imagine walking into a room with men, women, children of all walks of life who are all supposed to be discussing equality for women and making that joke before anyone else has a chance to speak up... That's what Scatterbrained did.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrmxd View Post
    Great article. I know that some of those „short hair in your face you male pig“ feminists would disagree with me, but feminist activists did less for women than technology did.

Think about not only bikes, but even more important about anti-baby pill, or sanitary facilities. And think about that in indirect ways women could go and educate themselves cause they did not have to be pregnant or in the field all the time. Medicine makes sure that children survive so they do not need to have a bunch of them, and mechanized agriculture provides enough food for all.

And yes, bikes made everyone, and in particular women, more mobile and free!

Technology more significantly changed the lives of humans than anything else, period. Not sure why you need to disparage feminists (including an odd jab about having short hair?) to make that extremely obvious point.

banned
    Nov 2014
    I think you are thinking of this forum like a group of your buddies.

Not sure why you need to disparage feminists (including an odd jab about having short hair?) to make that extremely obvious point.
    If we are not a group of internet buddies, what's the point? We are surely not making any money by posting here. And we are also not solving serious world problems. And that's fine.

And since we do not live under Stalin, or Kim Jong Un, we are free to joke about stuff. (But I admit it's not my joke, I stole that one from mr. Bill Burr.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imZ52DHBtug

One ring to mash them all
    fReEze PEaCH!
    “Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
    — Groucho Marx

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    If we are not a group of internet buddies, what's the point? We are surely not making any money by posting here. And we are also not solving serious world problems. And that's fine.
    Do I really have to explain why you should behave differently in a public setting (which this is) and a private setting with close friends?

Bikesexual
    Do I really have to explain why you should behave differently in a public setting (which this is) and a private setting with close friends?
    Did you go after Finch for posting a hot girl on that Picard thread? And all the Jokes that followed?

Which btw why is Picard's abuse on this forum totally accepted?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

banned
    Nov 2014

Did you go after Finch for posting a hot girl on that Picard thread? And all the Jokes that followed?

Probably because that Finch likes the same bike brands as mr. hypocritical censor

banned
    Nov 2014
    I am a free man and no *one* is going to explain me anything. I live by the law, and the rest is my FREEDOM

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I am a free man and no *one* is going to explain me anything. I live by the law, and the rest is my FREEDOM

Edited, I shouldn't have to explain why.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Probably because that Finch likes the same bike brands as mr. hypocritical censor

Wow guys, I'm really kind of shocked by how you're receiving what I consider very sensible criticism. Is it really that hard to just say 'ya it was in poor taste, my bad' or even better just admit that to yourself and walk away?

Bikesexual
    Wow guys, I'm really kind of shocked by how you're receiving what I consider very sensible criticism. Is it really that hard to just say 'ya it was in poor taste, my bad' or even better just admit that to yourself and walk away?
    Two things I said, a) I understand your position 2) My rant was over. Then you quoted my post again.

Its all good we just have different views on the subject, but interesting you didn't answer my questions on post #22.

I'm out, I do apologize to Klurejr for sidetracking the thread. Also, Ladies, my apologies if I offended you, and or ashamed you in anyway.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Two things I said, a) I understand your position 2) My rant was over. Then you quoted my post again.

Its all good we just have different views on the subject, but interesting you didn't answer my questions on post #22.

I'm out, I do apologize to Klurejr for sidetracking the thread. Also, Ladies, my apologies if I offended you, and or ashamed you in anyway.
    You don't get to decide when the discussion is over, so you saying 'rant over' means nothing. You clearly felt you were still in the right, I disagreed. That's my right.

Your question in post #22 was pointless whataboutism. I am not in charge of these forums and don't have to be in order to give my opinion in one thread. Sorry I'm not as up on every post made on this site as you.

You have ruined this thread. That was my point from the beginning. What could have been a neat empowering little discussion is now jokes about butts and people defending why it was cool to make jokes about butts. Congrats.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I think you are thinking of this forum like a group of your buddies. If you said that joke around a few guy friends it would be exactly what you said; a harmless joke. Imagine walking into a room with men, women, children of all walks of life who are all supposed to be discussing equality for women and making that joke before anyone else has a chance to speak up... That's what Scatterbrained did.
    Agreed, for those not familiar MTBR is a family friendly website and Dwayyo makes a very good point. When posting imagine you are having a verbal conversation with all ages and all walks of life. Be polite, don't make rude comments,etc and you will be fine.

If you feel it is okay to speak abusively in front of or to minors, members of the opposite sex or different nationalities, then MTBR is not the place for you.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Human shaped object
    I'm not singling any post, or any one out. I'll just remind you that this is being seen by more than just the buddies. This is being sent out around the world for others to read. Maybe some of those people are impressionable kids. Maybe someday *gasp* a female rider will try to break into the "bro culture" that we seem to have here. Crass jokes with close friends is one thing, and no one is trying to censor that, but standing on a street corner with a megaphone shouting those same jokes suddenly seems less acceptable.

banned
    Oct 2019

Too bad bicycle did not change the world for us guys. Women still measure us by the amount of muscles and material resources we got.

Its not that I’m extremely poor or skinny, just sayin’