Honest question: Why have I never seen a black person on a MTB?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Honest question: Why have I never seen a black person on a MTB?

Seems strange. I thought MTB was more diverse. All I ever see is white people riding.

What do you think is the reason we don't see any black (or non-white for that matter) mountain bikers?

I know this is going to get me some stupid answers, but be honest.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Non-white? The founder of this site and many of the staff.
    Regular posters Mellow Yellow and Hugh are very non-white.
    Anyone that rides a lot in the summer ends up non-white.
    When I ride in the mud or dust I am non-white.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

locked - time out
    nevermind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Huh? You know what I mean. I'm 50% Mexican.

I still don't see many "Afican Americans" riding. I wonder why?

mtbr member

Shoot, son, where do you ride?

Geez, I ride with people of all races, nationalities, etc. No biggie in the northeast from what I see.

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Other than the occasional Asian, I don't think I've ever seen a non-caucasian mtb'er out here in Ontario either.

Weird.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    Geez, I ride with people of all races, nationalities, etc. No biggie in the northeast from what I see.
    Washington state. I see plenty of black road bikers and guys in the city (seattle) with mountain bikes, but never on the mountain. Maybe I just don't ride enough or in the wrong area? Must be a culture thing or what?

I see Asian people riding often.

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    Seems strange. I thought MTB was more diverse. All I ever see is white people riding.

What do you think is the reason we don't see any black (or non-white for that matter) mountain bikers?

i don't see alot of black folks on bikes period but they are out there. i see more asians riding than white people usually and i know a couple of mexican people that ride as well. then again white people are becoming a rare site in the bay area anymore. mostly whites and asians i see riding bikes and a few other races but i would have to agree that black people with a serious interest in cycling is kind of a rare sight, for me anyways.

gray hair in my shammy

All the time here. People are people.
    "Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

banned
    Apr 2004

MTBing seems to be a white middle age, middle class thing

Quote Originally Posted by dansjustchillin
    i don't see alot of black folks on bikes period but they are out there. i see more asians riding than white people usually and i know a couple of mexican people that ride as well. then again white people are becoming a rare site in the bay area anymore. mostly whites and asians i see riding bikes and a few other races but i would have to agree that black people with a serious interest in cycling is kind of a rare sight, for me anyways.
    and road biking seems to be a white upper middle class, middle age thing.
    It will be interesting to see more black people getting into XC mountain biking, it's just a matter of time before our sport has our own, "Bubba Stewart".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bubba Stewart ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    and road biking seems to be a white upper middle class, middle age thing.
    It will be interesting to see more black people getting into XC mountain biking, it's just a matter of time before our sport has our own, "Bubba Stewart".
    Who is Bubba Stewart ?
    Sir Dabs-alot

banned

I have only seen one black guy once

and honestly i had to do a double take to make sure that i wasn't bonking or something. i did a road century last year and there was sort of a team there of black guys. actually, it was kind of funny because they were all decked out in matching skinsuits and all had matching TCR's at a casual century ride. i thought when i first saw them that maybe they were a professional road team or something but as i passed the last one of them about 3 miles into it, he was hunched over on the side of the road breathing his guts out saying something about eating too much bread.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good question.

Like someone else said, I have seen a black guy on a mountainbike, but never on a mountain with one. My dad has a black buddy that he goes hiking with occasionally, but never riding. I have seen pretty much every other nationality riding on the trail though.

There is a at least one pro rider that is black and his name is Shaums March.

http://www.nsmb.com/people/shaums_08_04.php

Evil, apparently

Oy. The question that ought not have been asked. I think it depends on your location. There are MTBers of every color here in northern VA.
    Last edited by drevelo66; 02-04-2005 at 08:13 PM.
    "Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that."-Homer J. Simpson

"It's called cyber courage,a sad pathetic disease...."-T3

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A black guys thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Who is Bubba Stewart ?
    Bubba Stewart is some black kid that decided he was going to OWN motorcross. Check him out. http://www.amadirectlink.com/features/Bubba.htm

As far as not seeing a lot a brothers on the trail, I would assume it is a social and economic thing.

First of all no one in the hood is getting a 2k bike in their youth. Ever wonder why blacks excel at basketball? It is because basketball is one of the few sports that only requires one kid on the block to be fortunate enough to own a single inexpensive piece of equipment for everyone to participate. As we all know cycling can get real expensive, real fast.

Not to say that we are all poor and live in the ghetto, but it greatly limits the exposure of the demographic to the sport.

Enter the social part of the equation. Little black boys and girls do not have uncles, brothers or cousins who ride or invite them out on the trail. How many of us got our first bike as a hand me down or were invited along by a friend or relative on our first ride? If no one in your social circle rides then you probably won't either.

Then their is the role model thing. Black kids for the most part want to emulate black celebrities. Little Tyrone doesn't pretend to be Larry Bird out on the court, he wants to be like Mike. Tiger Woods brought about an explosion of young black golfers. He made it alright to golf. When we see Deshawn Pete Dominating the slopes we will see a surge in nappy headed riders.
    Come along and ride on a fantastic voyage! Slide, slide,slippitty slide!

WWW.SWEETDREAMBED.COM

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Enter the social part of the equation. Little black boys and girls do not have uncles, brothers or cousins who ride or invite them out on the trail. How many of us got our first bike as a hand me down or were invited along by a friend or relative on our first ride? If no one in your social circle rides then you probably won't either.
    What you've said makes a lot of sense, but not everyone starts mountain biking as kids. I didn't get into it until I was 30.

It's a shame that they're not exposed to it more....they're really missing out.

mtbr member
    i think jm got it right. not all minorities are poor and in urban areas, but many of us are. living in cities provides so many other recreational opportunities that there is little interest to see what it's like out in the usually distant woods, especially when no one you know or are related to ventures out there. then there is the money factor - mtb'ing is pretty expensive, as are, skiing, tennis, golf, etc...

yeah, i admit strict city dwellers are missing something cool by not mountain biking or enjoying nature more, but i'm sure the always interesting city life is filling that void nicely.

antonio
    dominican-new-yorker-now-in-boston-who-is-always-the-only-hispanic-riding-with-a-bunch-of-white
    -guys-and-gals-(and-the-occasional-asian).
    Last edited by antonio; 02-04-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Humpmaster general
    I agree with drevelo66 it is a location thing. My city is 40% non white and and 60% white. I see black men and woman on mountain bikes, on the trails all of the time. Of course you not going to see black guys in Canada or Washington State or Colorado, there are no black guys there.

"Black people only make up like 10% of the population. Black people only live in a couple of places, like LA, DC New York, Chicago and Atlanta. There's no black people in Minnesota, the only black people in Minnesota are Prince and Kirby Puckett".
    .........Chris Rock

"The Black is the better Athlete"
    ............Jimmy the Greek
    Last edited by Jack Hass; 02-04-2005 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I see plenty of non-whites on bikes

But then again i live in NYC, not sure what the percentages are but there are an awful lot of non-whites (including myself...dubiously), in fact my LBS's main mechanic doesnt even speak english, pretty non-white neighborhood.
    however, i have to say, that the only bikers i dressed all goofy in central park are all white...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Little Tyrone? Nappy headed riders?

Take it easy there Jeb. My fathers buddy who is black didnt want to be just like Mike, he just wanted to be a school teacher. He is not into basketball or mountainbiking. I dont see many black riders in my neck of the woods because there is not that many black people in my city compared to whites and asians. I think you might be right that the social aspect may play into it. There is no real "ghetto" in my city, but there is enough black people that one would think you would see more black mountain bikers. I live in a city of a million people and there is more white trash neighbourhoods than ghettos. I wondered after reading this thread, why there is not more blacks out on the trails, regardless of the small percentage of black people in my hometown.

I guess another thread could be started on why we dont see many black professional swimmers, or why black people dont do well in the water on Fear factor?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Last time out I saw a black guy on a--I kid you not--Mountain UNICYCLE. His legs were freakin ripped.

Meh.
    I'm 100% Chinese... And I ride with an Indian dude occasionally. I've seen riders of all ethnicities... But it seems that most of the pros are white. The only non-white pro rider that is coming to mind right now is Andrew Cho.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Shaums March is a pro BLACK freerider and

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I'm 100% Chinese... And I ride with an Indian dude occasionally. I've seen riders of all ethnicities... But it seems that most of the pros are white. The only non-white pro rider that is coming to mind right now is Andrew Cho.
    has been riding professionally for a while now.

http://www.descent-world.co.uk/html/...haumsmarch.htm

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Where I live we have nearly a 50/50 ratio of white/non-white residents. It's not that other ethnic groups aren't riding bikes, it just seems that they don't take them out to the trails.

We have to drive a bit to get to some good bike trails, but it is possible for anyone to take advantage of the urban riding opportunities that exist in the city.

It's nice to see people from different backgrounds breaking into sports that aren't typically known to them. It's obvious that blacks are fantastic athletes in so many disciplines, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we see them excel in cycling.

I'm seeing more black hockey players in the NHL these days (well, not this year) and I look at it not from an "oh, isn't it a novelty to see a black guy on skates" standpoint, but rather as a chance to see what they can bring to the game.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny

Take it easy there Jeb.
    Jeb? I think I fit more into the Tyrone category. My point was that there are differences between the races. I was trying to paint a visual, not offend.
    Come along and ride on a fantastic voyage! Slide, slide,slippitty slide!

WWW.SWEETDREAMBED.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Mellow Yellow and Hugh are very non-white.
    True
    Halarious
    When I ride in the mud or dust I am non-white
    ****in halarious!!

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny M
    As far as not seeing a lot a brothers on the trail, I would assume it is a social and economic thing.

First of all no one in the hood is getting a 2k bike in their youth. Ever wonder why blacks excel at basketball? It is because basketball is one of the few sports that only requires one kid on the block to be fortunate enough to own a single inexpensive piece of equipment for everyone to participate. As we all know cycling can get real expensive, real fast.

Not to say that we are all poor and live in the ghetto, but it greatly limits the exposure of the demographic to the sport.
    This description fits one of my best friends perfectly. He's a black guy who grew up in the 'hoods of Dallas, and has been shot, stabbed, and has gone to prison on a felony drug offense. He's now married with two kids and will be graduating this semester with a degree in electrical engineering. But when bikes come up, it's always "You spent how much? Just get it at Wal-Mart! When we were kids, we didn't have no fancy bikes." Some people understand the money it takes to have quality trail-worthy bikes, but it's just lost on him. He's big into basketball though, it's just what he grew up with.

I've seen a few non-honky riders around, but not very often.

I already rode that
    Maybe your area is just a "white" area?
    I see a few black mtbers around. I also know a few from the LBS and friends.
    My one friend that is black is a damn good rider. Off road and onroad as you should see his wheelies he does. When riding along the street he can do wheelies at any speed and worse yet somtimes rides behind me and keeps his front wheel like a foot away from my back.... Of course he usually tells me I better not make any sudden stops then I look back and see his wheel

mtbr member
    I saw one on my bike.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Reasons probably vary.

I think there are a number of factors at work here:

1. First of all, in terms of numbers, black people are a small percentage of the population, so even if they were fully represented in the sport you would not see many.

2. Black people (along with most non-whites) tend to live in more urban areas, where other sports may make more sense.

3. This is the one that could raise some hackles: Depending on where you live it is likely that a large number of the rides are located in rural, all-white areas, even if where you actually live is more urban. It is sad but true that in many parts of this country, a black person may not feel comfortable hanging out in such an area, and what is even sadder is that it is not all in their head. I started mountain biking in Roanoke VA. All of the great rides are in areas populated by a good number of rednecks, and on more than one occassion I was thankful to be white when I ran into some guys in the middle of the woods with their guns and ATV's. The biking shorts got enough strange looks. Most folks were fine, and by nature gracious and friendly, but it only takes a couple of stupid jerks to ruin one's day. Even in areas devoid of such Bubbas, I think that it couold be unnerving to be the only black person (or persons) in an area not accustomed to having non-whites around.

(I would apreciate a black person's thoughts on point #3)

4. Economics have to play a role. Compare the average or median income for blacks as compared to other ethnic groups. I am guessing that if you look at a group of whites with an average income similar to blacks, living in the same areas, you won't find too many on mountain bikes.

I think we are all going to have different imprressions of this issue depending on where you live. Someone living in NYC or San Francisco is going to have a vastly different impression of the state of racial integration than somebody living in some parts of the rural south. Having moved around the country a bit, I am at times very optomistic, and at other times dismayed at what I see.

Kapusta

"El Whatever"
    I'll start by saying that even though we mexicans are a mix of races and especially people from where I'm from (Veracruz in the Gulf Coast) where we have an important afro-antillean influence... we're very racist indeed. Which is totally stupid from my point of view and some people will crucify me for saying so, but it's the plain truth. We don't like people of darker races and a caucasian people will be treated better in Mexico than people from different ethnies. Sad but true.

I think it's sad we wouldn't have more black people in the sport. We're loosing some fine athletes who would maybe raise the ribbon of MTB. I don't know for certain what causes it but it's sad in the end.

I'd like to see it changing...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    I've seen black guys riding bikes before and some of them are SMOOTH! Just never seen one on the mountain. They have better rythm than us (even though I'm 50% MExican I still look white).

Honestly though, it's an economic thing. When do you ever see WHITE TRASH riding mountain bikes on a mountain? I always see people riding bikes going up the mountain in nice SUV's or nice subarus, etc. The only people really ever driving crappy cars up there are just younger kids who still live in a nice home, but their first car is a beater. That accounts for about 99% of the people I see up there.

The reason has to be more than just the color of your skin! Heck I'm sure in other countries like England you will see WAY more black people riding than here. It's just a sad fact that African Americans in general are lower on the economic level. THERE"S JUST AS MANY POOR WHITE PEOPLE NOT RIDING AS THERE ARE BLACKS!

shut up and pedal
    Jan 2004
    I want to see more woman on bikes. Enuf said!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

How about Anson Wellington?
    people who wait 15 minutes for cheap gas have to realize that the 2$ they save in gas is being used up as they wait that extra 15 minutes....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There is one black freerider that lives an hour from here, and that's about all I have ever seen except for one black guy riding the trails on a BMX bike. There's plenty of black kids on BMX bikes so I don't think it's the lack of any bike exposure while growing up. I think the reason you don't see any is the same reason you don't see any driving Jeeps, or Corvettes, or four wheelers. I'm not sure what that reason is, but I'm sure it's the same.

smell my finger
    Quote Originally Posted by cruso414
    he was hunched over on the side of the road breathing his guts out saying something about eating too much bread.
    Eating too much bread? I don't know why I think that's funny, but I can't stop laughing!

Old man on a bike

While I appreciate the sentiment,

Quote Originally Posted by Ridethebike
    I want to see more woman on bikes. Enuf said!!!
    I'd rather see more women on bikes than more woman on those bikes.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member

Here in SoCal

Easily 50% of the people I ride with are of another race other then white.But I only have one friend who rides that's black.He's also a doctor and a police officer.I have a lot of Asian friends, hispanic,american indian and a few others.I'm serious in the fact that once the helmet is on,we are color blind.I make no distinction between any races.I'm mostly the minority on most rides.

I do find there's a certain prejudice here though.Some of these people who claim not to be prejudiced will never ride with anyone other then a select few other white riders.But if you asked them why they don't ride with other races they will deny vehemitly that they are prejudiced.They use an excuse that they are of a superior riding abilty and they'd just as soon not ride with a person who isn't of their riding caliber.Which is bs,because some of the guys I ride with are better riders then they are.They do occasionally ride with maybe one other guy thats not of there genre, so that they think validates their not riding with others from another race.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

shut up and pedal
    Jan 2004
    Ya got me there mr spell checker....Its no wonder i failed english class.. too busy riding bikes and flirting with bettys...
    My point being that, I ride with anyone that can pedal.
    what a dumb azz topic to start

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridethebike
    Ya got me there mr spell checker....Its no wonder i failed english class.. too busy riding bikes and flirting with bettys...
    My point being that, I ride with anyone that can pedal.
    what a dumb azz topic to start
    NO it's a very valid topic. This thread isn't about "who do you prefer to ride with". It's about who you see riding on the mountain.

I would love to ride with any person who is willing to ride with me, whether they are white, black, green, crappy rider, or good rider, it's always fun to make freinds that share a common sport.

Recovering couch patato
    Today Shani Davis won the World Allround Speed Skating Champs in Moskow. First black guy I've ever seen on skates, and he now beat all the Caucasian spoiled rotten kids, way cool.

In my country, Netherlands, we may not have the same % of non-whites as the US, but enough to notice them not riding bikes. I know of only 2 black guys to race mtb's, zero women. Some Asians like to ride, and I have a buddy from the Moluks, and one with mixed descend. Zero Arabs that I recall, while we have quite a few of those here.
    Not many non-white's, if you consider at most National events, I come accross 500 or so bikers. Statically, I should see a couple dozen every weekend.
    Soccer rules out nation's sports, that's where you see most of the Arabs. They're not necessarily poor, and ride really pimped scooters and later cars I can't afford. Same for black, pimped cars, fancy clothes, no bikes.

It's not blacks can't ride (although white men can's jump or skate.
    I believe I heard that in Davis' hood, short track skating was the local sport, and he had been doing it for a few years as a kid when he first saw white folks on skates at a tournament, and he was baffled to realize that white folks skate as well. I found that a funny annecdote.

It might be good if the IOC would promote athletes to try other sports sometimes. White males to do a 1run of any length, and black women to ride a mountainbike. Chances are, most would not suck, and even make a living out of beating the tradional elite of the sport in question.
    I'm not very up to date with the Golf world, but I can only imagine that the Tiger-effect of more young blacks taking up a club bag, and not just to carry it for soemone else, will only do good for mutual respect between races. Having Arabs to beat my white ass in races would be way cool, and certainly help relieve the mayor issues arising between the Islam and the rest of the population here right now.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member

i happen to be...

a 6ft 2in 245 lb, dreadlocked black mountainbiker. here in ny i see others, but never when i go out of state to ride. you can only imagine the looks on the faces off some mtbk'ers when i come blasting down the trail! . most people of color that know me cant understand why i love to ride a bike in the woods, and yes most whites are surprised that i mtbk. overall, id have to say my experiences have been positive . ive had more than my share of experiences with racist behavior (outside of mtbking) but most mtbk'ers have been very cool with me.
    most blacks have never been exposed to this sport and most people, regardless of race, tend to gravitate to the things their peers are doing. some are exposed to different things by their parents, but again not many black parents mtb either. i was raised to try new things, to not limit myself so for me to try mtbking was very natural for me. i used to go into manhattan (especially central park) or brooklyn (prospect park) and ride my bike all day and into the night. about 4yrs ago a puerto rican guy came to work at my company. he introduced me to mtbking, believe it or not. i guess the two of us out in the woods must seem strange to some, but we love it. my wife (she's cuban) rides also. all my other riding buddies are white guys (and girls). their all cool people and we have a blast every time we get together.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by corndogggy
    There is one black freerider that lives an hour from here, and that's about all I have ever seen except for one black guy riding the trails on a BMX bike. There's plenty of black kids on BMX bikes so I don't think it's the lack of any bike exposure while growing up. I think the reason you don't see any is the same reason you don't see any driving Jeeps, or Corvettes, or four wheelers. I'm not sure what that reason is, but I'm sure it's the same.
    on the subject of bmx, what about edwin delarosa? he's a black dude and he's pretty sick on a bmx bike. check him out in turbulance if you get a chance.

mtbKneekoh
    im in san diego and have not seen one african american on the trails. im mexican and have only met one other mexican rider and he's just here on business. ive seen some asians out there tearin it up. does feel weird to be the only minority on a weekand full of "white" riders. but the way i see it, on a wet day, we all end up black with mud, on a dry day, we all end up brown with dust. as long as we repect the trails and people long live mtb

markybrue
    Jan 2005

you need to get out more!

you need to get out more!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by kneekoh
    im in san diego and have not seen one african american on the trails. im mexican and have only met one other mexican rider and he's just here on business. ive seen some asians out there tearin it up. does feel weird to be the only minority on a weekand full of "white" riders. but the way i see it, on a wet day, we all end up black with mud, on a dry day, we all end up brown with dust. as long as we repect the trails and people long live mtb
    Paisano!!!!!!!!!!

You should come down to Mexico to see how many of us hit the woods!

Now seriously.... here down the border, this is not a sport for everybody. Cycling (road or MTB) is kind of expensive. Basically we get the same prices than people in the US get plus a 10% to 50% more depending on brand and other stuff.... so, add to the higher prices the fact that we do not have the same earnings than the average american has and as a result cycling is expensive.

Even though, this sport is very popular in areas like Mexico city (despite MTN and forest areas are retired and you NEED a car to get there - or pedal close to 10-15miles in the traffic to get to the trailhead), Monterrey, Guadalajara, Queretaro and border states with the exception of Sonora and Tamaulipas.

So I also agree with the people who weighs the economical/exposure factor. Here is not basketball but soccer which wins popularity 'cos you only need a ball and three friends more to make a match. To MTB you need at least 300 american dollars and somewhere to ride.... two things that are difficult to get for the gross of the population.
    Check my Site

master of "the robot"
    check out this related thread at my local mtbiking board.

http://joinomba.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=382
    .....chicks dig fenders.....

poser Administrator

re: MTB and Race

I used to ride in 'zona with James Bethea all the time. He was so fast. If you don't know who he was then check out some old nukeproof ads and there was a big article on him in the old good BIKE magazine before they sucked
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Maaaaan

New question here. That is a very good question.

I can honestly say after thinking awhile, that I've only ever seen one black guy and never a black women riding a mountain bike offroad. The guy lived near Garin Regional Park in Hayward California and could wipp ass on most weekend warriors, while riding a cheap ass rigid Walmart bike.
    I don't believe the "poor black man can't afford a mountain bike" theory, because I know a few white people ( myself included ) that can't afford a car but own a bike and the nessesary gear to go riding. A bike is a lot cheaper than a computer or car ect.
    When you stop and think about it; you don't see many black people in the outdoors at all, not camping or anything like it.
    The smaller numbers in the population don't explain it either. There are plenty of black people in the SF. Bay Area but almost no black riders. In fact, in the Bay Area, the last census showed that whites are the minority now. In the Bay Area, there are plenty of working class ( read poor ) people of all races that ride, just not blacks.
    On the other hand, I've seen all kinds of people of other races and mixxed races riding both road and mountain bikes.

I want to make note that I'm referring to serious riders. There are plenty of people of all races, riding around on beater bikes, in inner city neighborhoods.

Later, Eric W.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

wait a minute....

Never see any on the trail

But the only one I did see kicked everyones ass in the sport class at a race I went to.

bicyclist

i was thinking that just today.... i have no idea!
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuense
    I saw one on my bike.
    Thanks...I just spit coffee all over my keyboard! LOL

jb

mtbr member
    Bringing back an old thread. I was curious about this topic as well, so I hit the google and sure enough, it came up...lol

Some of you make good points. the main point that I see, as a Afican American, is the exposure compoment. Not too sure it has anything to do with finances. I ride with all kinds of people here in the north east. Went to Fruita last Oct and was the only person of color (doesn't bother me one bit).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honest question: Why have I never seen a black person on a MTB?-fruitadownrock.jpg  

Honest question: Why have I never seen a black person on a MTB?-fruitafall.jpg  

"Live, Live, Live!. Life is a banquet but most poor suckers are starving to death!!!"

Rides all the bikes!
    Worst zombie thread resurrection ever

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Worst zombie thread resurrection ever

I disagree. It's just a segue into the topic that doesn't appear to be self serving and adds real context to the discussion. Even if the discussion petered out 14 years ago. Carry on.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase810 View Post
    Bringing back an old thread. I was curious about this topic as well, so I hit the google and sure enough, it came up...lol

Some of you make good points. the main point that I see, as a Afican American, is the exposure compoment. Not too sure it has anything to do with finances. I ride with all kinds of people here in the north east. Went to Fruita last Oct and was the only person of color (doesn't bother me one bit).
    There are very few African American people where I live at all (Bend, OR), before even bringing mountain bikes into the picture.

mtbr member
    Interesting to see this thread pop up 14 years later. Has anything changed? Hard to tell, I'm white as hell (German, Dutch, Irish heritage). A lot of it has to do with the demographics where you live. In central Texas, the Latino/ Hispanic population is large and makes up something that resembles a representative portion of the mtb community. However, I lived in Atlanta for a few years and didn't run into very many African American mountain bike riders, despite the demographics there.

mtbr member
    This is another stupid topic brought up by a...

Nevermind.

Go to Mountain Creek bike park and get cultured. "White" people are probably not the majority. But, what do I know? I ride with people from all over the world there. We ride lifts and trails together. But I never stopped and asked anyone "Excuse me, are you from African descent?". I know a ton of "black" riders, but they're from Jamaica (live in Queens), riders from the Philippines, from Israel, from Puerto Rico, from all over the world and the United States of America...

But next time I'm on the trail, I'll ask if they're "black". We're all riders and that's all that matters. I know, that you know, that's all that matters.

The reason I'm pissed off at this stupid topic is someone mentioned something very similar about 3 months ago.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Interesting to see this thread pop up 14 years later. .
    ha, didn't even realise that this was that old. i was just thinking to myself: these posts, since it's about race, have a certain flavour to it that i couldn't put my finger on.

now it makes sense, these posts are 14 years old!

but my thoughts are that this question should not be qualified to "black people" or "white people" or "tall people" or "rich people" or "poor people" or "left handed people" or any "type" of "people"

it's a good enough question in it self: why aren't you in to "mountain biking" or "skiing" or "chess" or "weight-lifting"... meaning that let's promote activities to everyone who otherwise would not even have known about said activity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Me...I ride.
    EXODUX Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Me...I ride.

Yep, my bike gives zero ****s about color.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It is interesting to read some if the years old comments and realize how people say what they say, and what they say, has changed over the years. Some of those comments which were probably innocuous at the time are cringe worthy now

The White Jeff W
    At the LBS where I bought my first bike they had a black regular who had the same name as me, so they called me white Jeff (see my sig under my ID). But yeah, at least in the areas I've lived and ridden mountain biking is very much a white sport.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    To be completely honest, I'm not totally a person of color. I have a deep olive complexion, dark hair and eyes. My mom is reddish blonde with blue eyes. Dad is darker then me with all dark features.
    There was always this "joke" about having some African heritage. I always knew I wasn't totally white either. We did a Ancestry.com DNA test which confirmed it. I have a mix of what appears to northern European, British, Italian, American Indian, middle eastern and mid-north African.
    I always remember when filling out some applications or surveys as to which race I belonged to, I always had trouble identifying as to which to put down.
    EXODUX Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I always had trouble identifying as to which to put down.

I always pencil in "Human" for race.

mtbr member
    Come to Texas you will see people of all colors and nationalities.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    Come to Texas you will see people of all colors and nationalities.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    I visited Brownsville and the only Anglos I saw were my own family. My son and I were driving and saw an African American guy on the street. My son chuckled and commented, how do you think that guy feels? Met some of the nicest people, and ate some of the best food ever.

mtbr member
    Oh great. I thought we finally found 1 sport where black people wouldn't kick our slow white asses.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass View Post
    I agree with drevelo66 it is a location thing. My city is 40% non white and and 60% white. I see black men and woman on mountain bikes, on the trails all of the time. Of course you not going to see black guys in Canada or Washington State or Colorado, there are no black guys there.

"Black people only make up like 10% of the population. Black people only live in a couple of places, like LA, DC New York, Chicago and Atlanta. There's no black people in Minnesota, the only black people in Minnesota are Prince and Kirby Puckett".
    .........Chris Rock

"The Black is the better Athlete"
    ............Jimmy the Greek
    RIP Prince and Kirby.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Until I moved to Michigan from Louisiana, I never saw a lot of mountain bikers of any race. Cycling, and mountain biking in particular, is a fringe activity down there. As much as I love Louisiana, we probably rank number one in hostility towards cyclists.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just lock this thread down, I don't see how it can serve any useful purpose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny View Post

Take it easy there Jeb. My fathers buddy who is black didnt want to be just like Mike, he just wanted to be a school teacher. He is not into basketball or mountainbiking. I dont see many black riders in my neck of the woods because there is not that many black people in my city compared to whites and asians. I think you might be right that the social aspect may play into it. There is no real "ghetto" in my city, but there is enough black people that one would think you would see more black mountain bikers. I live in a city of a million people and there is more white trash neighbourhoods than ghettos. I wondered after reading this thread, why there is not more blacks out on the trails, regardless of the small percentage of black people in my hometown.

I guess another thread could be started on why we dont see many black professional swimmers, or why black people dont do well in the water on Fear factor?
    In the early days of apartheid, all swimming pools banned black people hence they never had a chance to swim

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    i see lots of trees, few r white

mtbr member
    I’v Seen black people riding MTBs but they are far and few. I see a lot more Hispanic people riding MTBs.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    I’v Seen black people riding MTBs but they are far and few. I see a lot more Hispanic people riding MTBs.
    I see a very similar trend in my area, I actually see more Hispanic's on MTB's than any other demographic in my area. I do see a lot of black folks on road bikes though, one guy can frequently be seen riding with no hands(he's grooving to the beat). Super nice guy, but it can be hard to hold his wheel if you're trying to draft.

No known cure
    I think different cultures have different exercise priorities. I don't like stick and ball sports and I don't care for team sports. I enjoy individual pursuits. I don't even like riding with others unless I'm racing them, and out of all my long time friends, there's only one I'll snowboard with.

Growing up in Southern California, there were families of every color and culture in the neighborhood. and we all mobbed around on our bikes. Out of the 12 of us, including my brother, they all quit riding as soon as they started driving. When I was 15 in 1985, I took a chunk of my car savings and bought a mountain bike.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

slow
    Two of my riding buddies are black. This is an over-representation of people of color in our area, which is often referred to as "Vanilla Valley." Both guys came from back east and started riding in NJ and NYC. One of them was the first black pro mountain biker.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    One of them was the first black pro mountain biker.
    I remember him from an old Dirt Rag article. Maybe it was JB?

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    You are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

slow
    Yep, that is him. He has become a good friend, and he is still crushing it these days.

No known cure
    I cant remember a name when you tell it to me, but I'll remember stuff from ages ago. I know my address and phone number from when I was five in 1975.

Cycologist
    James Brown?! That is awesome!

Seriously, that's cool. I'd be too intimidated to ride with him (just the pro part).
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    In the early days of apartheid, all swimming pools banned black people hence they never had a chance to swim
    You do realise that not all black people live in the country of South Africa right?
    All the gear and no idea.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    James Brown?! That is awesome!

Seriously, that's cool. I'd be too intimidated to ride with him (just the pro part).
    I have an old BIKE mag with Rick James, riding a Marin Rock Star.

Trail Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck View Post

MicroHuck...you need to get out more. Where do you live?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Maybe in my next life i will be lucky,
    instead of being a white dude...
    i will be a fatbike
    Seriously, things change, i am often in St-Jérome,
    it used to be over 99% white people and now it is
    quite different.
    I am not that guy that complaints because people
    walk where we ride our fat.
    They were there first, you know dog walkers ...
    I just enjoy seing people who smile

the half breed devil
    as a person of color, my initial reaction to this thread is what the hell difference does it make?

the socio-economic argument is BS.

if a poor black man REALLY wants to get into mountain biking, he'll find a way.

i did.

my first mountain bike came to me at a cost of forty dollars and a leather jacket.

maybe the OP lives in a place where there are 90-95 percent caucasians?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    I think when people go this route it has to do with a large number of Black people living in Urban Area's that just don't have access to MTB Trails, not just the income side of things. Makes me think of Big Dense Cites that might have some parks, but nothing specific for MTB. Maybe these area's have more people riding BMX bikes or road bikes than MTB?

This is all just speculation of course.

I have visited NYC a number of times in my life. I love visiting but could never live there, with one reason(of many) being that MTB would be a major pain in the butt. I would have to pack up the bike n gear and get out of the city. Using Public Transport that could be hours, and many who live in the city don't own cars. Even with a car it would take a while to get out for a ride, especially a mid-week after work ride.

I live in San Diego (which is very diverse, over 127 different language groups call the county home) and there are trails in most parts of the county. I can ride from my door to a trail head less than a mile away, and there are other trails within a 20-30 min drive.

If I grew in up NYC or the dense Urban Core of another big city I might not have had friends who rode MTB and got me into the sport.

I actually grew up in a place that had trails, but none of my friends were into MTB (early 1990's Orange County), so I had no interest. I had a BMX bike and liked riding it, but that was it. Then we moved to Kern County (north of LA) to a small mountain town when I was 14 and my friends all had Dirt Bikes, so I got a dirt bike and rode with them. Then in 1999 my wife and I moved to Ventura (west of LA) and I had to sell our dirt bikes. I met a guy who was into MTB and we became good friends and within a few weeks I had my first MTB and have been riding since. I really think it is who were are friends with that really motivates people into any specific hobby or sport, but of course any exposure to something that catches your eye can spark an interest.

But this could vary from place to place, some big cities, like Denver(big-ish) have great trails within a short distance from the city center.

There is no perfect answer to this question.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I think when people go this route it has to do with a large number of Black people living in Urban Area's that just don't have access to MTB Trails, not just the income side of things. Makes me think of Big Dense Cites that might have some parks, but nothing specific for MTB. Maybe these area's have more people riding BMX bikes or road bikes than MTB?

This is all just speculation of course.
    Or maybe they've created their own scene from scratch.

Sounds like a none of you guys have ever attended a ride-out, or are even aware of what's going on as far as bike culture in cities across the US and beyond. You want to see lots of people of all shades and colors riding bikes? Show up to one of these events, prepare to have fun and make friends.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Up In Smoke
    Those folks need mountain bikes! The can ride, they got skills, no ones denying that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Those folks need mountain bikes! The can ride, they got skills, no ones denying that.
    Uh oh...
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    as a person of color, my initial reaction to this thread is what the hell difference does it make?

if a poor black man REALLY wants to get into mountain biking, he'll find a way.

i did.

my first mountain bike came to me at a cost of forty dollars and a leather jacket.

maybe the OP lives in a place where there are 90-95 percent caucasians?
    Probably an exposure thing...

Middle-aged friends of mine just took up the sport of curling. Never really knew much about it except for seeing it during the winter Olympics, then took an interest. Until recently, there were no curling clubs or locations around here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Or maybe people are happy doing their own thing?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Or maybe people are happy doing their own thing?
    Its clearly obvious they are happy doing their own thing, I'm just suggesting a good portion of those riders would probably enjoy Mountain biking given the opportunity. I'm referring to the people in the 'ride out' video

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Its clearly obvious they are happy doing their own thing, I'm just suggesting a good portion of those riders would probably enjoy Mountain biking given the opportunity. I'm referring to the people in the 'ride out' video
    Agree. And vice versa!

A few faces in that video are ones that you'll also see on the trails around here.
    Last edited by slapheadmofo; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:55 AM.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Probably an exposure thing...

Middle-aged friends of mine just took up the sport of curling. Never really knew much about it except for seeing it during the winter Olympics, then took an interest. Until recently, there were no curling clubs or locations around here.
    exposure.

that's the key word.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Funk Issue.

Classic!

Pretty sure they also had an article about the aforementioned JB in that one too.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Or maybe they've created their own scene from scratch.

Sounds like a none of you guys have ever attended a ride-out, or are even aware of what's going on as far as bike culture in cities across the US and beyond. You want to see lots of people of all shades and colors riding bikes? Show up to one of these events, prepare to have fun and make friends.

Title of the thread:

Honest question: Why have I never seen a black person on a MTB?
    In the video you linked no one is riding a mountain bike. I believe this topic is specifically for MTB, not for riding bikes in general. I even mentioned in my comments that people in dense urban area's ride bmx and road bikes.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Title of the thread:

In the video you linked no one is riding a mountain bike. I believe this topic is specifically for MTB, not for riding bikes in general. I even mentioned in my comments that people in dense urban area's ride bmx and road bikes.
    People are posting about curling, swimming, and Rick James.
    I'd say I'm not even close to being the farthest afield here.

But in response to the title, it's already been answered: OP needs to get out and about more. I've been getting my ass kicked by MTBers of all colors for decades now. A good friend even raced DH as a pro back in the 90's, for Cortina. He's all roady nowadays though.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast