Home made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Home made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.

I didn't like the lizard Skinz chain stay protector as it left areas unprotected. So I decided to use some pre-preg carbon fibre I had left over from another job. I wrapped the chain stay with electrical tape to let me remove the carbon if it gets too chipped or I was not happy with it and to protect the frame from the pre-preg resin. I then wrapped 2 layers of pre-preg carbon over the chain stay where I wanted it to protect and over that a layer of a film called release film which does not stick to to the resin and will give a nice gloss finish to the part. Over that I wrapped a heat shrink tape so when the chain stay was heated to activate the resin it would compress it round the chain stay tightly and squeeze all the air bubbles out of the now setting carbon fibre. 12 hours with a fan heater blowing over the carbon to give it the required heat and below is the result.
    Home made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-08-10-2013-16-07-01.jpg
    Home made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-08-10-2013-19-39-26.jpg

My next project as a rear mech protector which I wanted to have as I have seen them hit and get damaged on a ride so I wanted to have some extra protection but not add too much weight.
    I mocked up the shape from a scrap part I had already made which looked like it would be about the right size and shape if I made a few changes. I cut it to suit and then made a mould and fine tuned the mould a little then made a pre-preg part which is more than strong enough to let me lift the bike with it! It is also flexible enough to not damage the frame if it takes a side loading hit. It weighs 16 grams or just over .5 oz for those of you who work in ounces. lol.

Home made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-23-10-2013-17-18-20.jpgHome made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-24-10-2013-16-00-54.jpgHome made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-24-10-2013-16-01-21.jpgHome made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-25-10-2013-14-40-07-1-.jpgHome made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-25-10-2013-15-09-30.jpgHome made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-28-10-2013-20-38-23.jpgHome made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-28-10-2013-20-38-54.jpgHome made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-30-10-2013-18-50-21.jpg

Once all the mock up work was done I made a fast pre-preg part out of it and trimmed it up and fitted it today... It is not hard to do and with a hobby fibre glass kit you can make a mould from a shape you mock up from almost anything from bent plastic sheet or even wax. Once you have the mould there are places you can buy smaller quantities of dry carbon cloth for a wet lay part or even pre-preg if you have a way of applying some pressure to the mould and heat it up to "COOK" the carbon at about 80 degrees C.

Home made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-02-11-2013-15-27-26.jpgHome made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-02-11-2013-15-27-37.jpgHome made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-photo-02-11-2013-15-27-43.jpg

****** to the dirt
    that is pretty cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    that is pretty cool
    Cheers.... I just wanted to add some protection and I couldnt find anyone doing what I actually wanted to do.... probably because my solution is overkill for a problem most do not suffer from... lol..

Workin for the weekend!
    What if your frame is CF? How to bake the prepreg?

mtbr member
    That chainstay protector looks really good - nicely done. Only one reason I would use something different and that would be noise - the chain slapping against the carbon is still going to be fairly audible, but if you used a big strip of velcro or wrap the stay with a bike tube it greatly mutes the noise.

Of course, or we use a "clutch" derailleur then we dont need any of the above....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    What if your frame is CF? How to bake the prepreg?
    The pre-preg I use is a low temp cure one so on a carbon frame it would be fine as production ones use a high temp pre preg that cures in probably less than an hour. The lower temp cure will not effect the carbon frame and to be honest most aerospace carbon is post cured at an even higher temperature than the curing temp to raise its TG.

Low temp pre-preg either needs a vacuum bag and vacuum pump to pull down the carbon into the mould or a heat shrink tape/tube will do a similar thing. To cook small parts a card board box with a fan heater and a cheap remote meat thermometer will do to set the temperature and let you cook the carbon. This part was to be honest put into a vacuum bag and pulled down with my pump but to cook it I just put it close to my small 2kw fan heater on my bench and left it there for 9 hours.. I didnt even use any controllers or thermometers it was just the heat blowing over it from a fan heater..lol.. I am a lot more accurate with other parts but this was more function over looks.

My usual stuff is more like this..lol..
    Home made chain stay protector and Rear mech protector. Carbon Fibre.-ogm7.jpg

In fact I used a scrap part just like this one to cut up and make my mock up shape...

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Pretty cool. Sounds like it will almost stop bullets.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    That chainstay protector looks really good - nicely done. Only one reason I would use something different and that would be noise - the chain slapping against the carbon is still going to be fairly audible, but if you used a big strip of velcro or wrap the stay with a bike tube it greatly mutes the noise.

Of course, or we use a "clutch" derailleur then we dont need any of the above....
    The lizzard Skinz protector did cover most of the stay but some if it still took hits so I am hoping the tape under the carbon will damp out some noise. I have a 9 speed cassette so no clutch options for me sadly so chain slap is one of those problems I have to accept....

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morepower View Post
    The lizzard Skinz protector did cover most of the stay but some if it still took hits so I am hoping the tape under the carbon will damp out some noise. I have a 9 speed cassette so no clutch options for me sadly so chain slap is one of those problems I have to accept....
    Try keeping the chain on the big ring and middle of the cassette when you're descending. I have a 9-speed setup on my full suspension and chain slap has never been an issue for me, even though I don't have a chainstay protector. My trails are really rocky too, so there's plenty opportunity for the chainslap to become an issue. Then again, it may just be the suspension design on my bike, or some other variable that I don't know.

Either way, though, nice DIY projects.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Cheers... I do try and do that but there are times on some of the trails where you are mid cassette on in the lower gears where you have steps or drop offs and you get the odd slap... Carbon will shatter if hit hard and often but I have meters and meters of carbon here that I dont need to worry about replacing it if I need to.

I would rather make parts to suit so I know it will work how I want if I can... I could even make my own floating discs with carbon centres if I wanted as I come from an engineering background... lol...