Hip protection/pads? I have a total hip replacement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2016

Hip protection/pads? I have a total hip replacement

I had a total hip replacement done in october of last year due to AVN. It was a side effect of the steriods I had to take for lymphoma treatment. Anyway, all is well now and I am ready to ride.

I was wondering if there is any kind of hip pads or something I could do to protect my hip in a fall.

I am 21 and BMX/skateboarded everyday of my life from 13-17 so needless to say jumping and hucking are by far my favorite thing to do, nothing has changed and I know I am going to slam hard eventually.

Please let me know the most protective pad option out there, if there is one.
    I don't care about comfort I just want to protect it as much as possible.

Since work is slow and I am excited about my new leg:
    Hip replacements have come very far and I have a very new kind (anterior). They go in through the front and i was walking on it (without a cane when nobody was looking cause I'm a boss) within 12 hours. These new ones don't have the danger of easily dislocating out the back like the old ones. Of course, after 3 years of chemo and muscle loss I will have to control my urge to huck to flat. The more muscle I build around the hip will help protect it, so I have some work to do before I should hit the bike parks. Since I am so young, I got the unshatterable, 15-20 year plastic hip socket; instead of the permanant, shatterable ceramic. So it is going to wear out and need replacing eventually anyway so I'm going to give it hell! Life is too short.

mtbr member
    No question. The protection that is out there is comfortable and you don't even notice wearing it.

mtbr member
    I have to say dude, I like your attitude!

I'm nearly fifty and if there is one thing I wish I'd realised when I was young it's how flippin short life is. I know a guy who got a hip replacement last year and he's scared to do anything in case he breaks it. What's the point of that?

Try not to smash your new hip but man, go live your life. I wish you all the best :0)

Air Pirate
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I have to say dude, I like your attitude!

I'm nearly fifty and if there is one thing I wish I'd realised when I was young it's how flippin short life is. I know a guy who got a hip replacement last year and he's scared to do anything in case he breaks it. What's the point of that?

Try not to smash your new hip but man, go live your life. I wish you all the best :0)
    Thanks man! I appreciate the kind words. I just try to live everyday to the fullest, one day at a time. I spent enough weeks laid up in the hospital with no guaranteed future that now I can find a silver lining to the worst days. Its bizarre when your teenage sense of invincibility is shattered but I don't miss it at all. I plan for the future, but truly enjoy the day. Now it blows my mind watching my peers sweat the small stuff and complain all the time when tomorrow isn't guaranteed! Nobody knows how long they will be here so might as well smile and have a hell of a ride!

For the pants: I found a couple that look really heavy duty. Anyone have experience with BOHN adventure shorts or KNOX defender shorts? The hip protection looks thicker on these. Then I was thinking about affixing TF3 hard pads inside some baggies to wear over it. Thoughts?* *

KNOX:

BOHN:

Then put these in the shorts:

mtbr member
    You should buy a Robocop costume and be done with it! ;0)

Robertson

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Nice to meet someone just like me!

Hey! I have a hip[ replacement too. I took chemotherapy steroids caused by Prednisone while recovering from Leukemia. I had to give up my love for soccer and running. I'm now trying to take up biking. Definitely looking for suggestions on "the best way to fall" with less injury to the hip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^ Get in shape and practice some body rolls on a lawn. Really. There is some science to this. Yoga/karate or such too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by SVerma View Post
    Hey! I have a hip[ replacement too. I took chemotherapy steroids caused by Prednisone while recovering from Leukemia. I had to give up my love for soccer and running. I'm now trying to take up biking. Definitely looking for suggestions on "the best way to fall" with less injury to the hip.
    I got the Knox defender shorts. They are really great. In fact I would rather fall right on the hip instead of my bony ass.

They have 2 pads on the hip that pivot and move across each other so no matter what position your leg is in the hip is covered. All of the others I looked at had just one pad which means that it wasn't protecting the joint all the time. They are very stiff pads also, not hardshell but super stiff. It is still comfortable though because of their shape and the way they move. I think they are meant to go under street bike leathers so tough stuff. Its all I feel I need for protection.

I took the tailbone pad out and the chamois kind of sucked so I took it out as well. The stitching wasn't the most comfortable either so I wear a traditional chamois under the knox shorts and it works great. They have a really grippy band so everything stays in place.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyLight350z View Post
    I had a total hip replacement done in october of last year due to AVN. It was a side effect of the steriods I had to take for lymphoma treatment. Anyway, all is well now and I am ready to ride.

I was wondering if there is any kind of hip pads or something I could do to protect my hip in a fall.

I am 21 and BMX/skateboarded everyday of my life from 13-17 so needless to say jumping and hucking are by far my favorite thing to do, nothing has changed and I know I am going to slam hard eventually.

Please let me know the most protective pad option out there, if there is one.
    I don't care about comfort I just want to protect it as much as possible.

Since work is slow and I am excited about my new leg:
    Hip replacements have come very far and I have a very new kind (anterior). They go in through the front and i was walking on it (without a cane when nobody was looking cause I'm a boss) within 12 hours. These new ones don't have the danger of easily dislocating out the back like the old ones. Of course, after 3 years of chemo and muscle loss I will have to control my urge to huck to flat. The more muscle I build around the hip will help protect it, so I have some work to do before I should hit the bike parks. Since I am so young, I got the unshatterable, 15-20 year plastic hip socket; instead of the permanant, shatterable ceramic. So it is going to wear out and need replacing eventually anyway so I'm going to give it hell! Life is too short.
    I know this is an old thread but I wanted to correct some info. "Old" implants dont dislocate easily. Placement and position of the cup/shell is important as is the surgeon choosing a high wall poly insert that reduces dislocations. A sedentary patient wont need a high wall poly insert. The advantage of newer implants is the ability to go to a larger diameter head/ball. Your body size will dictate how large of a head you can use. Good luck with your implant.

ETA I've never seen or heard of poly inserts shattering. There was a very small company that had some that pulverized, but that was almost twenty years ago. I give expired inserts to my dog to chew on because they're tougher than a Kong chew toy
    Ripping trails and tipping ales