HELP..Want to build a hard tail 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Hope HELP..Want to build a hard tail 29er

For members of this forum, I am in need of some experienced help/info. Want to have a hard tail built and need help with components..frame(steel/aluminum), cassettes you know the normal stuff. Want to keep build around $2500. I have a FS now, wanting a hard tail for the "easy" rides. I hope that I will get some responses here and not just like a lot of views but no replies. I do know that it'll be peoples opinions, but at least I can get pointed in a direction. Now that I've been riding since last April, I don't want to do like I did before and just buy on looks...

mtbr member
    customer Surly Karate Monkey. done.

Quote Originally Posted by m5161968 View Post
    I hope that I will get some responses here and not just like a lot of views but no replies.
    seriously though, that's a pretty vague question. if you want people to take the time to respond to your thread, you need to take the time and have the courtesy of actually asking a question, not just throw out a vague call for random opinions about a very non-specific bike. there are literally thousands of possibilities for a build. I would start with frame choice- do you want something lightweight or do you need a bruiser? how much travel do you want in your fork? (frame choice will determine this to some degree.) are you partial to steel or aluminum for some particular reason? you can get a climbing machine or something with a long fork and a slack HA.

where do you ride? do you plan to race, jump, bomb down hills, do long epic rides on it? 3x10, 1x10, singlespeed, 2x10? are you partial to hydro brakes or do you like the simplicity of mechanicals for your terrain?

more importantly, why do you want to build a custom bike? you and usually get a nice complete bike for about 1/3 the price of a custom build if you are moderate with the components you choose. a custom can cost much, much more if you go all-out. it will cost way more than your budget. what's wrong with the stock builds available?

The Fastest of Bananas
    Looks to me like you want to buy a new 29'er, not build one.

At this time of year, you can score some sweet deals on closeout bikes. The bike that comes to mind is a Niner EMD. You can score a 2013 with XT or X9 buildout withing your budget.

Here is my take on the rest of your questions.

Components: XT or X9. Anything more, and you are wasting money and out of your budget, X7 and SLX parts are good also, if you want to save money, but there is some performance left on the table.

Brakes: Avoid Elixer brakes. Shimano, Formula, Magura, Hope, are all great. I personally am in love with my Shimano brakes, easy work on, setup, great power and modulation, a good price, lots of pad options, the list goes on and on.

Frame: On a rigid bike, steel is the way to go. Aluminum is fine if you run largish tires to absorb some abuse. Carbon is the ultimate material (IMO) for a hardtail. Carbon may be out of your budget depending on brand. Some brands that offer more value over names (GT, On One, etc) will be within your budget. Personally I am building up a On One Lurcher. Frames can be had for 500 - 600. You could come in well within your budget on one of those. Niner, no way you'll get your carbon bike for 2500.

Wheels: Many stock bikes will have marginal wheels. Its a case by case basis. Do your research, or keep an extra 500 in your budget for a nice pair of wheels.

Tires: Tires are a personal preference. You may love or hate the stock ones, so keep an extra $150 in your budget for a potential tire upgrade and tubless materials.

Fit parts: Be prepared to change your saddle, stem, bars, and buy pedals. This could cost a lot, or a little. Its all up to you. Wide bars are a must IMO on a 29er to give you leverage over the larger front wheel. Many stock bikes are specing with wider bars however.

Also, I am replying because I am bored. If you want input, ask better questions. Do your research, look up bike and component discussions and reviews. Narrow down your searching and then ask specific questions rather than "help me pick a bike".

However, here are a few I would be interested in if I where in your shoes.

Scott Scale
    GT Zaskar
    On One Lurcher
    Niner: SIR, One 9, EMD
    Pipedream Cycles (UK based steel hardtails)

Also, do you have a good LBS? Test riding or demo'ing a few bikes is a great start so you can start to decide what you like and what fit feels good.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    why do you want to build a custom bike? you and usually get a nice complete bike for about 1/3 the price of a custom build if you are moderate with the components you choose.
    This.

Custom (non new parts, sales, bargain shopping) can cost less or the same. I say can, but not likely. You really need to know what you are doing and exactly what you want. So, in your case, for 2,500, probably not happening.

This time of year, buying a complete is the way to do it.

I ride bikes
    For easy rides I take out my $300 singlespeed 29er. Sometimes rigid, sometimes hardtail. It is a blast and puts a smile on my face each time. You don't think about shifting, just enjoying the ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Buy a bike and change a part or two if you have the itch. In a HT you can get a lot of bike for that price right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I second a GT Zaskar, just bought a carbon one for $2500. It is a really fun bike. I actually like riding it more then my FS Rocky mountain element.

There is sales all over the net.

The Fastest of Bananas
    My gf's bike is an aluminum Zaskar Pro, XT and Fox build. Aluminum, and 26"since its an XS, small and bigger are 29".

She likes it a lot, its reliable and a land missle for XC stuff.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

banned
    Jan 2014
    Why do you need to spend so much money on a HT for your "easy" rides? As others have mentioned, why not pick up a cheap used bike? Riding skills not up to par with your $6000 wonder bike?

Such a vague question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    GT Bikes Zaskar Carbon 9R Expert 2013 > Complete Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

You could buy the frame and the parts for an extra $1000 if you really want to.

I don't work for those guys btw, there are other places to find GT bikes.

You can get a damn good bike at an LBS if you have that money in cash. At a place like a Trek store you could probably get a $3k bike with a 3 year warranty inboarded. That would be a "can't lose" deal. You can get a couple upgrades buying on the internet, but the risk of losing in 1-2 years if something goes wrong goes up.

The Fastest of Bananas
    That's not that much for a hardtail. If he wanted to spend 5k I would question it.

Why not a SS rigid bike? Spend 1000 on it, and its a great training tool for days you are not looking to push the pace of the group.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Whew, thanks for all the replies thus far. I'll give you a little more background on myself, started riding last March early April bought a Cannondale Trigger 1 29er from a picture I saw. After a couple of months riding I came to really enjoy this bike. The places I ride are kinda the same except 6 Mile Run here in Jersey. Lewis Morris, Hartshorne/Huber Woods and Cheap quake are the regulars that I ride more often. I went to Chimney Rock for the first time a few weeks ago and will most definitely be adding that to the rotation.

Now to the matter at hand, I am a visual person. Meaning, I tend to purchase what looks good to me. That's how I bought the Trigger, the bikes mentioned I have looked at and have not ruled out. LBS don't seem to carry any leftovers for whatever reason. Not to of an aggressive rider but I come to enjoy climbing and going down through the rough stuff.

My friends and I have done 1 race last year and looking to do a couple more this go round. Not looking to podium just yet but finish with a decent time within my age group. I'm now 45 and about 265 down from 300+lbs last year this time.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Why do you want hardtail 29er while you have a (very nice) FS XC bike.

Get something different. If I were going to get another bike, given your background and riding area, it was be a single speed. Ill make you a better racer, and its great training.

I would recommend the Niner SIR. Awesome bike, and niner does make a gorgeous bike.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't recommend going this route unless if you have a ton of extra parts already. I recently just bought a frame and have everything but fork and wheels so the cost of this bike to me shouldn't be any more than 4-5 hundred bucks. That said if you're really passionate and have the time and patience to build it, you can piece it slowly together for around that much. That would take a lot of effort on your behalf though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    This.

Custom (non new parts, sales, bargain shopping) can cost less or the same. I say can, but not likely. You really need to know what you are doing and exactly what you want. So, in your case, for 2,500, probably not happening.

This time of year, buying a complete is the way to do it.
    The only reason for an average guy to build a custom bike today that I can think is for recreation and the satisfaction of actually building the bike. That's all. Buying a complete nowadays is the way to go indeed.
    Last edited by Max24; 03-02-2015 at 06:32 PM.

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: HELP..Want to build a hard tail 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Max24 View Post
    The only reason for an average guy to build a custom bike today that I can think is for recreation and the satisfaction of actually building the bike. That's all. Buying a complete nowadays is the way to go indeed.
    I guess im not average. I do custom PC on my bikes. And buildframe up, as I would replace nearly every part. If i do it again, ill probably buy a complete next time

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks to everyone for your responses and patience. I am not set on the build 100%, I've been looking at the Giant XTC..trying to find a leftover and making it 1x10. And still not sure about that one bike in particular. I will keep searching for now. Don't know if mentioned, bike has to be a climber...I like to climb and want to get better

mtbr member
    1+ for a rigid singlespeed. if not, that should be your third bike. tons of fun.

you're going to have to get over that "visual" thing and learn to appreciate a bike by the way it handles. not all bikes that look cool ride well and not all bikes that ride well look cool.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Not a race bike, but a good looking 29er 1x10 hardtail that goes good "down through the rough stuff" - Trek Stache. Done.

banned
    Jan 2014

good on you

Congrats on your weight loss. Keep it up! Have you considered a used HT? You could get a really nicely speced one at that budget.

I've always been partial to steel. It's not as harsh as alum. You do pay a 1-2 lb penalty with steel. Well worth it in my opinion.

After more details maybe a SS isn't the best option. They can be tough on knees. Seeing how your willing to climb and dropping weight. A 2X set up might be ideal. What is your current chainring set up?

mtbr member
    Seems to me like this is a job for the local bike shop, seriously and a complete would be better bang for your $$. Not being an ass, but if you haven't taken the time to do the research for all the parts on your current FS and tried to learn anything in that regards, you sure as hell aren't ready to be building a bike from scratch with the wide array of different standards in the industry today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    After riding a rigid Niner MCR for over two year, here is the build I just finished for my "harder rides." Everything is relative...

Frame: Niner EMD
    Fork: Rockshox SID XX 90mm (used Specialized Brain version)
    Ring: 36t Home Brew Components (1x10 setup with no chain guide)
    Rear Derailleur: x9 10 speed Type 2
    Shifter: x9
    Cassette: SRAM 1070 11-36
    Chain: SRAM 1070
    Headset: Niner
    Stem: AL Niner 100mm
    Bar: carbon Niner
    Seat: Specialized cheapo set
    Brakes: Shimano XT 160/180mm
    BB: Truvativ GXP
    Crank set: Truvativ x9 26/39 (rings removed and replaced by spiderless above)
    Wheels: Stan's Flow with x9 hubs from my old bike

I love the bike but agree with the folks who say that building yourself isn't economical. It isn't but you get exactly what you want.

the half breed devil
    why not a 'cross bike?

you can mount 42's or even 45's to it and be happy on both the road and moderate trails...

just throwing that out there...

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: HELP..Want to build a hard tail 29er

Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    why not a 'cross bike?

you can mount 42's or even 45's to it and be happy on both the road and moderate trails...

just throwing that out there...
    Now that's an idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    CH=CONFIG]864854[/ATTACH]
    Here's my friends that I ride with. This was taken last year when we just started riding.
    Big Bo..6'6" , 380+?, 32 yrs old
    Me..6'1", 300+, 44 yrs old
    Kirk..5'6"(maybe), 155-160lbs, 50 yrs old
    Bo's wife Lisa..taller than Kirk..lol, everything else ????
    Everyone has lost a lot of weight with the exception of Kirk who maintains his throughout the year. I hope picture gets uploaded...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP..Want to build a hard tail 29er-20130309_164939.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Decided...Niner Ros9