Help support my local trails by just sending an e-mail comment- Mtbr.com
    Rod
    mtbr member

Help support my local trails by just sending an e-mail comment

If you're in a hurry just read the bold text.

I live within the Daniel Boone National Forest. They are wanting to segregate and share a few trails with horses. In short, send the Forest Service an e-mail supporting alternative 4 with a "substantive comment" by 9/30/12. The e-mail is in bold below. There are many talking points and reasons listed.

Alternative 4 would allow

-no horses on the lake side of Caney - one of our favorite trails

no horses on most of Buckskin (shared-use trails are required to get there from Caney, but then hike/bike only all the way to Zilpo) - we can do loops longer than 50 miles thanks to this

no horses on the north side (Lakeview/Ridge/Sheltowee) -additional hike/bike trails to be developed north and south of the lake

The full project report is available here: USDA Forest Service - Cumberland Ranger District NEPA Projects - Cave Run Non-motorized Trails Initiative

Each person that would like to save our trails and improve the enjoyment of responsible users should send "substantive comments" to the USFS at the following email address:

[email protected]

A "substantive comment" was described in the meeting as being specific, having supporting reasons, and describing the effect of the comment.

A few talking posts to support alternative 4 would be:

We can still do our epic rides to the Zilpo campground and back.

Seasonal closures to horses makes perfect sense because they tear up the trails in the winter.

Horses on Caney Loop resulted in numerous mud bogs, near impassible sections of trail, litter at hitching posts, and horse dung. Removal of that group will enhance the experience of those hiking, running, and biking.

New trails at limestone knob would be awesome so we can avoid the muddy road, which would enhance our experience.

New trails at clay lick (an area with no trails at all) would be a fantastic experience.

I am also proposing a new trail being built to parallel the Sheltowee once you get off Caney (back toward the trailhead/dam) so alleviate problems between horse riders and bikers. Bikes can come off at hill on the sheltowee would meet equestrians riding up the hill so they can access the horse camp. By building a new trail that would parallel the Sheltowee this would solve a potential safety hazard.

The Project will also propose wet season restrictions on horse travel (please comment on support of this proposal as hiking/biking in wet conditions causes significantly less impact than horse riding) and is also considering restricting off-trail horse travel (comments in support of restricting off-trail horse travel will obviously help preserve our wonderful forest).

Sorry for the very long post, but I would like to thank everyone in advance who would send them an e-mail.
    Last edited by Rod; 09-26-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0