Help me in my research to improve roadways and safety for cyclists- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Help me in my research to improve roadways and safety for cyclists

Hi my name is Cindy. I am a senior at the University of Oregon and writing a thesis on biker experiences and safety. I am hoping some of you may help me with my survey. It is completely anonymous and the answers received will not only be for my thesis but the information will also benefit colleagues, local bike associations, as well as many city officials. I am hoping my thesis and findings will result in solutions to improve our roadways creating a more fun and enjoyable biking experience for everyone.

The survey is very short. 17 questions and should only take about 10 minutes of your time. If you are able to share this with your biking friends and family, that would also be extremely appreciated. Thank you!

Link to survey: https://bikee.typeform.com/to/fkj4WH

I didn't do it
    Done. I noticed that you also posted this in the commuting forum which is a good call. Did you happen to post this in Road Bike Review? You'll probably get a few takers there since the survey is oriented towards road riding and not mountain.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the advice. Will do. Appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thank you, Whacked.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Done
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

****** to the dirt
    done and doner
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thank you, Hawg, deke505. A quick question to all you mountain bikers, not in the questionnaire. (If applicable) Do you feel like your mountain bike is better for your commuting or utility rides than a road/city bike sometimes? Why or why not?

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by CindyD View Post
    Thank you, Hawg, deke505. A quick question to all you mountain bikers, not in the questionnaire. (If applicable) Do you feel like your mountain bike is better for your commuting or utility rides than a road/city bike sometimes? Why or why not?
    A mountain bike is all I have at this time. I do plan to one day build a commuter for pavement riding.

Currently, I ride some pavement to reach my local dirt if I am leaving from home. We do have cyclist lanes in my community.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Sorry I didn't have much input into your survey for commuting, as I don't do it, but I did want to offer a few other things that might interest you. Not sure if you've come across anything about the car-mighty SoCal, but there have been efforts by several municipalities to establish and encourage bike commuting.

Look into what the city of Long Beach is doing: America's Best Bike Cities: 19. Long Beach, CA | Bicycling Magazine

And check out the philosophy and vision of CicLAvia: CicLAvia | Introduction to CicLAvia

Hope some of that helps.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

Terrain Sculptor
    Done.
    I prefer a road bike for my commute (15 miles) if I'm sure I won't be going off-road at all. Higher gears and better (thinner) wheels/tires make the road ride much easier and faster. If there's a chance I'll be off-road at all, I'll take my mountain bike. My road bike won't handle trails at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    rad

mtbr member
    Done. ("go cyclers" LOL) Re mtb's vs. road bikes for commuting. I like to run biggish tires for comfort and security--in the summer I ride a tour-ish road bike with 37mm tires, in the winter, bigger tires on an MTB-ish beater are better.

mtbr member
    Done.

I've ridden on the road more than mountain trails and the main issue is how distracted motorists are when driving. This even happens on the trails (ear buds) but at least the person is not trying to control 3000 lbs of steel in between music, talking, texting, navigation, etc. Our future daughter-in-law was hit by a car that turned into a driveway and the driver didn't see her because the person was paying more attention to finding a particular store.

Only real solution is to place a barrier between motorists and cyclists and essentially creating a true bike lane. The little painted white line is better than nothing but a cyclists life is basically in the hands of someone who doesn't even know, or care, that you are there. Unfortunately this will probably never happen and not practical in older established communities.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

No Stranger to danger....
    Get lycra clad road bike users off the roads, they have been wrecking it for everybody else for years in Aus, im not joking either.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

mtbr member
    Done
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Professional Crastinator
    My MTB is most comfortable for me. On a road bike I felt distracted because I had to pay more attention to road imperfections, of which there are many in the NE.

The issue of safety would probably be addressed most effectively right from square one in drivers' education class. Extra lines on the road would help, but not as much.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Cool survey C...
    You've got my input.

Regarding comfort & commuting. It depends on the area i guess. I have rode my road bike in the urban city and was so horrified due to the road conditions and wish I had my mtb to take the beatings. So deff not comfortable that time. Bike wise, yes the road is comfy for city commute.
    Where i live now, its the considered suburbs. So the roads are much better and hardly a single pot hole or trash. Now I can focus on just riding rather than riding and dodging potholes and imperfections that can cause damage. So assuming roads are good, i'd pick road for city commute.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr Seuss....

Your Best Friend
    Done. Drivers don't respect bike lanes. They use them as turn lanes and will cross them whenever they feel like it, regardless of the presence of a cyclist. The whit lines should be replaced with yellow lines at a minimum, curbing at best.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah