Help me get my pedals off.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Help me get my pedals off.....

I am restoring a 22 year old mtb. The pedals wont budge. I am using an allen hex socket attached to a breaker bar. The hex corners are starting to round, so I stopped.

Ive sprayed it with WD40. I'll try letting it soak a couple of days. Will a pedal wrench work better? I'm afraid to heat the pedal axle lest I melt the rubber seals.

I'm thinking just take it to the shop. Any idea what to do?

SS Pusher Man
    You are turning them the correct way right?

Clockwise on the left side.......counter-clockwise on the right side?

Try some liquid wrench or a stronger penetrating lubricrant.

Do the pedals have a wrench flat on axle that you can get a pedal wrench on? or is it only via a hex wrench?
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Definitely use a pedal wrench or f**k off spanner, and make sure you're turning it the right way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yeah, turning it the right way. With the bike upside down, I turn the wrench towards the front wheel like I always do.

Yes, the pedal has flats for a wrench. I guess its to the bike shop I go for a pedal wrench.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    WD40 is okay for light-duty jobs but sounds like you need Kroil. Amazing stuff!!

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

That and a pedal wrench (the one from Park Tool is good) should solve your problem.

canuck
    pedal wrench and a good hammer

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Try PB Blaster, it's a much better break free than WD. Some GENTLE heat never hurts either, especially if you have 2 different types of material.
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bing!
    Yeah, turning it the right way. With the bike upside down, I turn the wrench towards the front wheel like I always do.

Yes, the pedal has flats for a wrench. I guess its to the bike shop I go for a pedal wrench.

Thanks.
    Turn the pedal toward the back wheel to take the pedal off. Turn it to the front to put the pedal on. Works even when the bike's upside-down.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    Turn the pedal toward the back wheel to take the pedal off. Turn it to the front to put the pedal on. Works even when the bike's upside-down.
    Uh, wrong. If you're turning the wrench over the top, towards the back wheel turned right side up = towards the front wheel upside down.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Uh, wrong. If you're turning the wrench over the top, towards the back wheel turned right side up = towards the front wheel upside down.
    You are quite correct. I was thinking back to last week when I was installing pedals, except my bike was still on its wheels. OP, this is why you don't flip your bike for pedal work!
    Last edited by Bro; 03-17-2011 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    and either lay the chain over the chainring or take the chainring off

Yes, that's fonetic
    You are quite correct. I was thinking back to last week when I was installing pedals, except my bike was still on its wheels. OP, this is why you don't flip your bike for pedal work!
    Well, if you know which way to turn it while upside down, as the OP obviously does, what's the problem?

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Well, if you know which way to turn it while upside down, as the OP obviously does, what's the problem?
    It still confuses me. Thusly, everyone has to coordinate with me before doing something suchaswise the OP has henceforth done.

Yes, that's fonetic
    It still confuses me. Thusly, everyone has to coordinate with me before doing something suchaswise the OP has henceforth done.
    bwahahah! Okay, I'll check with you before my next wrenching session.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There are two kinds of friction, static (resting) friction and dynamic (running) friction. Static friction is much higher.

When you get the pedal wrench, try taking a 2x2 piece of wood and smacking the end of the wrench to shock thru the static friction barrier. Think of this like a mini impact wrench (like you see at the tire store). I find that wood provides a nice gental shock and doesn't damage the wrench like a hammer would.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    Try PB Blaster, it's a much better break free than WD.
    This + pedal wrench.

I don't know why people have a hard time figuring out which pedal to turn which way sometimes, the right pedal is right hand threads (regular) & the left pedal is left hand threads (reversed). simple.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper
    WD40 is okay for light-duty jobs but sounds like you need Kroil. Amazing stuff!!

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

That and a pedal wrench (the one from Park Tool is good) should solve your problem.

Second on the Kroil, great product but only available on-line and I believe they'll only sell you a case. WD40 is actually pretty useless, it's an ok cleaning solvent but that's about it. Like others mentioned, PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench Penetrating oils are readily available at your local hardware store, soak it down and let it sit over night, repeat, repeat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I had a stuck wellgo clipless pedal, After everything got rounded ( even using a park pedal wrench) I disassembled the pedal, Removed the crank arm, Put the pedal spindle in a vise and use the crank arm to finally break it free.
    ... Now I always use anti seize lube on anything that is dissimilar metals.
    If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing. --- W. Edwards Deming

mtbr member
    Im pretty sure a pedal wrench is just a 15mm wrench....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    Im pretty sure a pedal wrench is just a 15mm wrench....
    This and it works much better, Good 15mm open end and a smack of a hammer should pop it right off. If the pedal is junk, and you can get to the axle from the front with a hammer. Try smacking it lightly, while trying to loosen with the wrench also.

Members who have read this thread: 0