Help I canít find the creak- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Help I canít find the creak

So basically Iíve had a creak for about 3 weeks now and Iíve tightened everything I could think of and regreased the bottom bracket and all the necessary stuff.
    So basically it only creaks at a certain angle under a lot of London the left creak for about 15 degrees and I can feel it through my foot,anybody know what it is

Edit: creak is only on the non drive side when I pedal, if I put my wait back way over almost as if I were trying to manual it doesnít make the creak
    Last edited by Mtb_Ethan; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:44 PM.

Always in the wrong gear
    Have you lubed the cleats and cleaned the soles of your shoes?

Unilateral creaks arenít usually a frame or fork issue in my experience. Iíd look at that pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    Have you lubed the cleats and cleaned the soles of your shoes?

Unilateral creaks arenít usually a frame or fork issue in my experience. Iíd look at that pedal.

Running flats but I will definitely check on all of that as well

mtbr member
    Seatpost? Seat rails?

Nut that holds the bar?

Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantFetich View Post
    Seatpost? Seat rails?

Nut that holds the bar?

I tightened it just now itís still there comes from below near the bottom bracket

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I had something similar and it actually ended up being a few spokes that were slightly loose. Went around the rim and tried and tightened and the creaks went away

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Iíll look into it thanks

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds like itís your non drive pedal. Pull it and grease the threads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    If the bike is a full sus it could also be the pivot points. Check for dirty and/or worn bearings/bushes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    The bike is less than a month old I donít think it could be the pivots but Iíll check

jcd's best friend
    Press fit bottom bracket? Some press fits are known to develop a type of squeak or creaking noise. My FSA BB was notorious for creaking noises on my old hardtail. I swapped it for a Shimano MT800 press fit and it never creaked again.
    Trek …monda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtb_Ethan View Post
    The bike is less than a month old I donít think it could be the pivots but Iíll check
    You need to check all of your bolts on a regular basis, like every few rides, but especially after about a month on a new bike. All the bolts, spokes, cables will bed in, stretch, etc, and need to be tightened up. That's why the LBS will/should tell you to bring your new bike back in to them after a several good rides/month, and give everything a once over for tightness.

since 4/10/2009
    It's worth mentioning that simply tightening everything won't necessarily fix it.

A LOT of creaks come from dirt. Sometimes you've just gotta clean your stuff. When I'm chasing creaks, I always isolate parts by cleaning and tightening. I oftentimes remove parts, too. Clean the threads, put on new grease, and reinstall. If something had little to no grease on the threads to begin with, chances are it will start making noise before long.

Probably the most important stuff to grease in the bottom bracket area (or it will be noisy) tends to be the pedal threads and the crank/bb interface.

When I worked in shops, most shop owners/managers wanted new bikes built in an hour or two at the outside (and would start getting grumpy if I took 2hrs for every bike). But when I'm building my own personal bikes, I take ALL DAY to do it, because I don't have to rush, and I can be VERY detail-oriented about it in the meantime. As a result, my own bike builds tend to ride like butter and are silent (at least until they start getting dirty).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If itís only on the non drive side at a certain drive angle Iíd guess its bearing on your BB on your non drive side. Iíd remove the cranks and spin the bearings with your fingers. Are they rotating smoothly?