Help with choosing Sunglass lens color- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help with choosing Sunglass lens color

I am currently using mutilaser red lenses, lets in about 20% of light.

Only recently tried riding in forested/shaded areas, and they were too dark at times. Thinking of "Photochromic red" or "Photochromic clear" as my 2nd set of lens, but unsure of which to choose.

Anyone with experience care to comment? Thank you
    Last edited by LoneReaction; 03-10-2011 at 08:38 AM.
    New rider, MTBing is fun!

jct
    mtbr member
    i've been using clear exclusively for the past 3 years. most of my riding is under the shad though.

i'd definitely get a set of clear though.

mtbr member
    I like my Oakley Yellow and Persimmon lenses for riding in the shade. Clear is a good choice as well and you can use them while riding at night.

Stucco Bucket
    My best lenses for all conditions are the transitions lenses in my Oakley Monster dogs and Jawbones. I can ride well into the night them.

Professional Crastinator
    In the worst of shade-sun-shade conditions where the blinding sun renders you blind for just a split second as your eyes try to re-adjust to the low light condition, I have found that light amber or yellow works pretty good for maintaining contrast in any light conditions without you getting blinded. Yellow works at night, but not amber. I haven't tried red, but I had some sorta pink color that had some negative attribute like no contrast or something.
    -F

High Desert MTBer
    I always wear my photochromatic 'peril-sensitive' sunglasses, they turn completely black at the first sign of danger. Bit of a Catch 22 tho, 'cos they seem to be almost always completely black. I can see the walls of this hospital room now tho...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I use a light blue - light enough that I can ride as dark approaches (but not in the dark). I tried amber but the blue coloration seems to closer to reality - amber seemed so unnatural that I didnt really like wearing them.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I use a pair of Chili's with red lenses for just about everything. My main concern isn't so much turning down the light as it is cutting down on the glare (I can thank the ocean and the setting sun for that), so the red is a perfect lense color. Just make sure you get polarized lenses, though....

Also, everyone knows that red is the fastest color...
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    I really like my Tifosi Slips with the interchangable lenses. For shade/shine/shade trails, I prefer the AC Red lens. I use this lens about 90% of the time for anything singletrack before dusk. If I could do it over again, I would probably go for a style with separate left and right lenses because the single eye lenses take up less space in a pack than the wraparound style.
    I love the hills, but the hills don't love me back.

canuck
    rose or violet. <- period!

excellent for sun to shade riding

I've used all major brands next to free.

my favorite lens so far is giro's http://www.giro.com/eu_de/products/sunglasses.html

had to pay for some of the oaks.....

nocturnal oblivion
    Yellow, best for contrast in lower light conditions. Yellow works great for night riding too. I've never tried rose, but I'd imagine it'd let through less light and be better for brighter conditions.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Copper is a really good color for contrasting conditions. Photo chromatic is best but the ideal situation is to have interchangeable lenses - have a light yellow or clear for low light riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I've decided to sell my current pair off, and get a Noyz Kit from eRudy, with photochromic Red, photochromic Clear, and Laser black lenses. The combo deal is too good to pass up. If money fell from the sky I would get yellow, red, and clear, but these would suffice.

Clear photo - for night riding or a normal day out
    Red photo - for daytime riding
    Black laser - I don't know, to look cool indoors?

I'll have to ship it back to Asia, but it's way cheaper. After selling my current pair, I'll be just paying a small amount.
    New rider, MTBing is fun!

mtbr member
    Coloured lenses are horrible. Any colour. Experience the wonder of nature! In Yellow!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245
    I use a pair of Chili's with red lenses for just about everything. My main concern isn't so much turning down the light as it is cutting down on the glare (I can thank the ocean and the setting sun for that), so the red is a perfect lense color. Just make sure you get polarized lenses, though....

Also, everyone knows that red is the fastest color...
    Please explain why it has polarized.

All fat, all the time.
    Right now using clear as I mostly ride in shaded singletrack. I enjoyed yellow lenses before, but scratched them up so haven't used em for a while.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink
    Coloured lenses are horrible. Any colour. Experience the wonder of nature! In Yellow!
    Don't you think you might be missing out on something? Every sport I can think of athletes use colored lenses for certain conditions. Just sayin
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Don't you think you might be missing out on something? Every sport I can think of athletes use colored lenses for certain conditions. Just sayin
    Every sport I can think of has athletes using steroids. I don't think they're a particularly good idea either.

mtbr member

Racing Red

I use the Racing Red lenses for pretty much everything. I've also got sets of yellow, clear, multi laser red and multi laser blue lenses. I like the multi laser lenses if I know I'll be out in the open on clear, bright days. The clears are good for night riding and the yellows for overcast days. I find the racing red lenses the best compromise for everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been using the Oakley G30 as my do everything lense for many years now. It's the best low light/high contrast lense I found that was not too bright in full sunlight.

I've tried polarized lenses for riding but found the way water and puddles looked to be too wierd.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scuver
    Please explain why it has polarized.
    Not sure about everyone else, but I happen to ride mostly where I get a lot of glare from the ocean reflecting the sun. So polarized helps with that.

Besides, it makes me sound smarter.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Members who have read this thread: 2