Hello Newbie Here...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Hello Newbie Here...

Hi, I have been riding since I was a teenager, and recently I have been hiking trails and mountains, I am getting the bug to come back to mountain biking. I don't have a bike right now, but I am hoping that someone here can help me choose the right entry level bike. I have my eye on 3 different choices, please help me decide.

29er Mountain Bikes Up to 60% Off - MTB - Motobecane 529HT

Or

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/g...034_&rrec=true

Or

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29er Mountain Bikes with Disc brakes, Tubeless Compatible Rims

I know none of these bikes are perfect and need upgrading, but which one of these is a good bike to get in??? Also my budget is $600.
    Last edited by RealPae; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:13 PM. Reason: I listed the same link twice, need to fix

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RealPae View Post
    Hi, I have been riding since I was a teenager, and recently I have been hiking trails and mountains, I am getting the bug to come back to mountain biking. I don't have a bike right now, but I am hoping that someone here can help me choose the right entry level bike. I have my eye on 3 different choices, please help me decide.

Or

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/g...034_&rrec=true

Or

I know none of these bikes are perfect and need upgrading, buy which one of these is a good bike to get in???
    The best bike is the one that fits you!

I highly recommend visiting your LBS and test ride bikes. All the major manufacturers have entry level bikes in the price ranges of the bikes you linked. Any LBS worth their salt will fit you to a bike in your price range that is right for you

If you ainít happy with the bike you buy, you ainít going to ride

Fat Guy on Fat Tires
    Fat guy on Fat tires

Snow Dog
    where are you going to ride? meaning what type of terrain?

What style will you ride: trail, XC, bike packing, downhill...

how intense do you plan on getting? <- these will help us help you a little bit

I would go to an LBS, and get fitted for a bike first. Then, think about how you will ride, and what the bike will go through in that aspect.

when i got back into riding about 6 years ago, "everyone" was tellign me to get a full suspension, carbon fiber this and that bike....and after thinking about it, doing some research, thinking about how I would use it etc..., I actually went with the polar opposite kind of bike, and am so glad that I did. Ended up with a rigid steel "Super Bike"....Surly Krampus

But the very first thing I did was to go get fitted, and learn about the geometry of MTBs...and how that effected the use and comfort within the various styles of riding.

I also saved up the money during this time and paid a bit more than the typical "entry level" bike b/c I wanted it to be a purchase for the future. A bike that would not "outgrow" my abilities.
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I will be riding on trails, all types of grounds. I want to say that I will be doing mostly trails, but I know I will be doing some XC too. I want to say that I will be in the moderate range of intense, I'm 44 and I can't afford to get hurt.

Some things I left out, my budget right now is $600. I really can't spend more than that right now. So I went to a local LBS and the bikes I can afford in the $600 area don't have great specs. I see that on BD I can get better components for the money.

That's why I listed those bikes in my OP, I saw the GT in person at the store, and I like it, but they didn't have my size. I can get that one online in my size. But I am a bit undecided on the components. I went the through fitting process already.

Does anyone think that the Motobecanes is better than the GT? Is the GT decent for the asking price? What do you rate the GT as far as for a beginner?

links:

Fantom Trail

GT Avalanche

Moto 529HT

I personally like the Moto Fantom, but I also like the GT...and the 529HT is tough to pass up too. Help me please...

Snow Dog
    cool....what part of the country? West coast, midwest? Canada?

to me, a $600 bike will be a $600 bike no matter where you get it, and they will all really be in the same range "component durability" wise.

Of your choices, I would recommend the GT only b/c I am not super familiar with Motobecane MTB stuff....and GT used to make decent BMX bikes....

I remember Motobecane making mopeds back in the 70''s and 80's....

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    OK, I'm going to give some honest advice most won't or don't want to hear. You can't hardly get a really good suspension fork for $600 these days, you can maybe get something that's not crap for $400-450, so if you're looking at a bike for your budget, you're better off looking for a bike with a rigid fork and then PLUS tyres.

If you like to throw money away, then by all means get any of those low end bikes and "enjoy" those forks and if the ride doesn't throw you off of MTBing and you do like most of those on here and get addicted, within a year you'll be looking form something much more capable and expensive and that $600 will just have been basically thrown away - take it from someone who did just that when they started, next bike was $1500 US.

What I would highly suggest you do is find a way to up your budget or hold off on buying until you can save more to up it, then take a look at something like the Marin Pine Mtn or Kona UnitX (both of which are on sale right now). They are both rigid with good parts spec and come setup with PLUS wheels/tyres. If down the line you want a sus fork, both are excellent steel HTs that would do well with a 100mm suspension fork.

If I'd had an idea or a local shop or friends to give me this advise when I started, I'd probably still have that rigid bike and be riding it today. FYI, although I have the option/choice of riding rigid PLUS or FS, I choose rigid these days.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Unit-X-Bike-2018

https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-Pine-Mountain-Bike-2019
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    OK, I'm going to give some honest advice most won't or don't want to hear. You can't hardly get a really good suspension fork for $600 these days, you can maybe get something that's not crap for $400-450, so if you're looking at a bike for your budget, you're better off looking for a bike with a rigid fork and then PLUS tyres.

If you like to throw money away, then by all means get any of those low end bikes and "enjoy" those forks and if the ride doesn't throw you off of MTBing and you do like most of those on here and get addicted, within a year you'll be looking form something much more capable and expensive and that $600 will just have been basically thrown away - take it from someone who did just that when they started, next bike was $1500 US.

What I would highly suggest you do is find a way to up your budget or hold off on buying until you can save more to up it, then take a look at something like the Marin Pine Mtn or Kona UnitX (both of which are on sale right now). They are both rigid with good parts spec and come setup with PLUS wheels/tyres. If down the line you want a sus fork, both are excellent steel HTs that would do well with a 100mm suspension fork.

If I'd had an idea or a local shop or friends to give me this advise when I started, I'd probably still have that rigid bike and be riding it today. FYI, although I have the option/choice of riding rigid PLUS or FS, I choose rigid these days.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Unit-X-Bike-2018

https://www.jensonusa.com/Marin-Pine-Mountain-Bike-2019
    pretty much exactly what I was thinking, but did not have the time to type...I am glad that wehen I first got back into it, I did not get an entry level bike, and waited and saved....it actually cost me less in the long run.

I will throw in the Surly Krampus as an option as well:

I got mine at my LBS since I don't like to order online, but here is the link to their site

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/krampus

I SWEAR that you will be happier in the end if you dont' by crap first. AND, if you don't like it, the resale on a higher end bike is better than a lower end bike.

One of the reasons I was asking about terrain was to see if rigid/plus tire squish would be better to start on. I grew up on BMX, and honestly don't like any kind of suspension, so the Krampus was perfect for me...

I ride in Ohio and Michigan mainly. Our trails are mostly rocky/rooty singletrack with short punchy climbs and downs. also some sweeping moderately rolling hilly flow places. I don't race, and am more into winter riding, but did not want a full fat bike.. I also am looking to get into bike packing and gravel grinding. This one bike covers all of those areas for me

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Went to my LBS they had this 26er that I liked and it's $500...any opinions?

Mongoose TYAX sport 26er

Weakest point to me I think is the fork...but other than that I feel it would be a decent starter? Opinions please.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by RealPae View Post
    Went to my LBS they had this 26er that I liked and it's $500...any opinions?

Mongoose TYAX sport 26er

Weakest point to me I think is the fork...but other than that I feel it would be a decent starter? Opinions please.
    That is a steep head tube angle. That's damn near closer to road bike head angles. What's interesting is that they used a steep head tube angle and short chainstays.

I would pass and get something like a Trek Marlin. You get a better warranty and more support from Trek. The Marlin is within your budget too.
    Trek …monda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    That is a steep head tube angle. That's damn near closer to road bike head angles. What's interesting is that they used a steep head tube angle and short chainstays.

I would pass and get something like a Trek Marlin. You get a better warranty and more support from Trek. The Marlin is within your budget too.
    ....word....if you are going to go entry level, do it with a reputable brand if nothing else...as much as it pains me to say it (b/c I grew up with Mongoose BMX in the 70's when they were legit), their stuff now is crapola...

LET IT SNOW!