mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Hello from Arizona

Hello from Arizona.

A lot of the country is hanging up their mountain bikes and getting their skis and snowboards in shape; but in AZ it's just getting to be great mountain bike weather.

So, I've been away from mountain bike racing a bit. Let me be more specific. My last mountain bike race was 24 years ago...I'm not kidding...and I have the 1990 Merlin titanium 26 incher to prove it.

Between then and now I was a roadie, but after doing a 65 mile charity mountain bike ride this summer...Flagstaff to Grand Canyon...I want to start doing more mountain biking.

I'm thinking I might want to do some endurance races. I have my sights set on an endurance race in early January...The McDowell Mountain Meltdown.

So, I'm thinking I might need to upgrade my above mentioned bike. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

My local shop is a Santa Cruz dealer and I've been looking at the Blur; I test rode one in the parking lot...hey, it was a dirt parking lot. And I have reserved a Tallboy for a demo in week.

This looks like a great website and I'm looking forward to spending a lot of my internet time here.

Cheers, Rick

mtbr member
    I have been riding in Arizona all year.

Lots of good bikes out there. The Blur is good XC race bike, but there are many good XC race bikes. The Tallboy is a bit more trail bike so more travel and heavier. Good to compare both on the trails to see which you like more as these are different bikes. If you like one more than the other there are many Mfg that make similarly classed bikes.

Personally I use for endurance races and most riding a 2018 Specialized Epic. That replaced a Santa Curz Highball when wanted more cushion on long 50-60 mile races/ride. However I also have Vassago SS HT that I raced last year in sprint races and Santa Cruz 5010 that I used for very techy trails like National and similar stuff. My Epic and SS get the most miles however.

Also the Arizona forum is reasonably active and can better help on bike selection since we ride the same trails.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

jcd's best friend
    Awesome stuff! I don't do any long distance XC riding but I do ride my Trek Emonda regularly. My best distance was 64 miles. I wasn't too ready for that one and I was over-pacing myself in the earlier parts of my ride. I ended up bonking after I hit 50 miles and tried to tough it out during the remaining 14 miles. I was trying to get my Strava Gran Fondo completed.
    Trek | Octane One | Transition