Have you found the perfect saddle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Have you found the perfect saddle?

Over the years I've tried a dozen or so saddles and I still haven't found the perfect fit. I always end up going back to an old Bontrager FS 2000 that came stock on a Trek Fuel 90, but it starts hurting me after a couple of hours in the saddle. I realize that when it comes to saddles one size doesn't fit all, have you found the perfect saddle?
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

Nov 2004

well

Like you said, it's kinda a personal thing, what feels good to one may not feel right to another. But after trying several, I found that for cross country/ general riding I seem to be comfortable on my Selle Italia Flite Gel Ti. Picked it up on sale prolly 5 years ago or so, and it's allways fit me well, never left me sore or tender.

Nyte

Mar 2004

yup. Bontrager

the original ones are great, but my absolute favorites are the ones I bought for $9 a pop from some mailorder blowout sale some years back. Black with gray kevlar(?) at the rear side edges, with a big red embroidered B on top. The nose is more padded than the originals and as I climbed seated always, sitting on the saddle nose, they are perfect, just perfect for me. With I had bought a dozen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have never kept a saddle very long, meaning what I thought was the perfect saddle is always tossed to the side for the new perfect saddle. Right now, I am running a Koobi Silver which has survived the purchase of a new bike and now resides on said bike. Only time will tell.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

WTB Laser V

Got it with my new bike and it's real comfy.....

Cleavage Of The Tetons

For me, it is the Terry Ti Fly....

250 grams, hole in the donut, lots o' cush (some folks like less), I can ride this saddle for hours, days, weeks...the rest of me usually implodes before my butt is a' hurtin'. Check it out.

ballbuster

WTB Laser DH...

Quote Originally Posted by coalriver-rider
    Over the years I've tried a dozen or so saddles and I still haven't found the perfect fit. I always end up going back to an old Bontrager FS 2000 that came stock on a Trek Fuel 90, but it starts hurting me after a couple of hours in the saddle. I realize that when it comes to saddles one size doesn't fit all, have you found the perfect saddle?
    ... I got at a swap meet for $10. It's reasonably light (at least not heavy) and I can go all day in that thing. My only complaint about it is that the cover is too 'grippy'. When it gets slightly wet or muddy, I can't slide around on it at all.

I ran an Aireon Team Race for a while, and it was tolerable, but I could not sit in that for an epic length ride. I'll keep it for racing, cause it is freaky light (about 100g lighter than the WTB) and still tolerable for a couple of hours.

I found that my chamois made more difference than the padding on the saddle. I found that the shape makes a bigger difference than the amount of padding as well.

I tried the Selle Italia Flite Gel, and found that it was too narrow for my posterior. It was painful.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    the original ones are great, but my absolute favorites are the ones I bought for $9 a pop from some mailorder blowout sale some years back. Black with gray kevlar(?) at the rear side edges, with a big red embroidered B on top. The nose is more padded than the originals and as I climbed seated always, sitting on the saddle nose, they are perfect, just perfect for me. With I had bought a dozen.
    That was my favorite saddle also. I had two of them (except they cost me $19 a piece and had red kevlar), which I completely wore the embroidered B off of from years of riding. One broke in a slight accident and the other I forgot to take off a bike I sold.

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Fizik Nisene for me.

I have one on every bike I own.
    Makes me bum really happy.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    250 grams, hole in the donut, lots o' cush (some folks like less), I can ride this saddle for hours, days, weeks...the rest of me usually implodes before my butt is a' hurtin'. Check it out.
    Ditto

I found a brand new one in the trash at the LBS I worked at, owner said it was broken and I could have it. I can't figure out how it's broken and I've been riding on it ever since, six months now. It's pretty light, strong, and comfy. I'm 220lbs and I haven't bent the rails yet and I regularly jump on this thing and crash down onto it. The only thing I don't like are the fruity graphics on the back "Buzz Off" or whatever. But who am I to complain it was free!

Looks good on the bike too.

Mine looks narrower than this and it has a grey patch on the back, not sure if they changed it up a little bit or what.

mtbr member

Sdg S2000 Ti

Been riding the same SDG S2000 Titanium saddle since 1996. Its been on 5 different bikes and been recovered twice. The rails are still just as straight as when I bought it even though I ride with it pushed all the way back on the post. Don't think they make them anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yup - Brooks.

mtbr member

Selle Italia Flite Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Nyte
    Like you said, it's kinda a personal thing, what feels good to one may not feel right to another. But after trying several, I found that for cross country/ general riding I seem to be comfortable on my Selle Italia Flite Gel Ti. Picked it up on sale prolly 5 years ago or so, and it's allways fit me well, never left me sore or tender.

Nyte
    Love this seat for mountain riding. Just enough padding and narrow enough for my bum. For road riding though, I prefer the Terry Fly seat pictured above. Can ride for hours with no pain.

jcw

Dec 2003

Fizik Gobi

I've tried dozens of different saddles over the years - WTB, SDG, Selle Italia, Brooks, Terry, Vetta, other Fizik saddles, etc. - and was never satisfied until the Fizik Gobi. Perfect shape, perfect padding, perfect shell flex, perfect comfort with no numbness. And it's pretty light too!

Ride Instigator

Love them Bontys...

I have FS2000s on both MTB and roadies. The one on my MTB is starting to tear a little after 3 years of use\abuse and I called PP today to order one, only 20 bucks so I had them send two .

I can spend all day and then some on those Bontys, they fit me perfect and the price is right .

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    I'll second the Terry Fly Ti. I went through several saddles before I ended up with the Fly and won't use anything else now. I have them on all three of my bikes.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Koobi Au Chrono

I have two of them - first one was installed on my old Sugar 3 in 2001; the other was installed on my new '04 Switchblade earlier this year. Absolutely love the full split, firm padding, no non-sense styling, and light weight (something like 235, 243 gms or so). Both have been 100% reliable and never bother me or hurt. I've never ridden ridden for 12 or 24 hrs, but, after 5 or 6 there is no difference from when I started, so I guess I could ride for days with no issues.

Only other saddles I've used were the original WTB whatever on the Sugar 3 - it was only good for about 2 hrs and then I would start to go numb, and, it was taking awhile AFTER riding to get full "feeling" back. That really bothered me! The other was a Specialized whatever on some $2500 Specialized bike I rented from SuperGo down in Santa Monica this past summer for a day of local riding. That saddle too was crap-ola for me and my butt was definitely sore - the darn saddle was too soft! I can't believe they really give you that type of saddle with relatively expensive bikes.

Anyway, the Koobi full split has solved all of my problems.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004

Gotta go with flite as well

though I've got an original, a gel, and whatever the one with the split is called. They all feel pretty darn close, as long as I've got some go chamois on. If I need to replace any in the future I'll just stick with the standard Ti flite.

Ran a Titec DH Berserker for a while, and though pretty narrower this saddle has a lot of padding. I noticed that this was a comfortable saddle for shorter rides (ie around town, where I might be on and off the bike a lot with regular street clothes, or less than an hour) but longer than that and my back would be killing me.
    My Artwork

Hard words break no bones, fine words butter no parsnips.

Turner Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by neveride
    though I've got an original, a gel, and whatever the one with the split is called. They all feel pretty darn close, as long as I've got some go chamois on. If I need to replace any in the future I'll just stick with the standard Ti flite.

Ran a Titec DH Berserker for a while, and though pretty narrower this saddle has a lot of padding. I noticed that this was a comfortable saddle for shorter rides (ie around town, where I might be on and off the bike a lot with regular street clothes, or less than an hour) but longer than that and my back would be killing me.
    I also like the koobi's, I am running a silver on my bike and I will probably be running on on my new bike also. five stars for koobi

Duck Fonald

Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Suicyco
    Been riding the same SDG S2000 Titanium saddle since 1996. Its been on 5 different bikes and been recovered twice. The rails are still just as straight as when I bought it even though I ride with it pushed all the way back on the post. Don't think they make them anymore.
    Did you recover it yourself? If so, how?

What material was used?

Thanks,

fp
    "What America needs now is a drink."

FDR

Forget work- let's ride!

Searching for the Holy Grail

I too have forever been searching for the perfect saddle.

I had envisioned a scientific way to measure the sit bones and choose a saddle based on the width. Unfortunately somebody beat me to it.

I don't know much about this system but check out this link.

http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=1090

This is the MBA web site. Scroll down to the bottom and check out the laser device. It looks like this would take alot of the guesswork out of picking a saddle??

fwiw - I'm a 6 foot, 200 pound lard a$$ and use a Serfas. It's quite comfy but a bit wider than I'd like.

Good Luck in your quest.....mine continues!
    I'm trying to think but nothing happens!

Bike to the Bone...

Specialized Body Geometry 2 Saddle

Hi, I bought a Specialized BG 2 Sport saddle and I think it has been great. But I think it's a matter of tastes. A friend of mine prefers smaller harder saddles, another has a gel over his seat, etc..

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

I'll also go Flite...Evolution 1 that is

Mmmm all carbon goodness. Yes that's right folks I think my favorite all time comfy saddle is the Flite Evolution 1. I'm sure most of you think I'm crazy and that its all carbon shell is brutal...but it is actually more compliant than the standard Flite. Just be careful when you crash!

Jul 2004
    bike seats are a truly funny thing. in all my years of riding, probably 8 different bikes and 12 different seats. I like the seat that came stock on my 1980's-ish Raliegh Technium road bike (converted to a singlespeed, of course). The seat is all busted up and taped together with army duct tape. It is the most comfortable seat ever. I can ride 50 miles before I notice the damn thing.

mtbr member

recovered saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Did you recover it yourself? If so, how?

What material was used?

Thanks,

fp
    I recovered it with 2 layers of a material that I got at a fabric store ("Joanne's Fabric"). Wish I remembered what it was called ... but its basically a stretchy and very durable polyester type cloth that has a texture very similar to kevlar. I just walked around the store feeling fabric until I found what would work. I ripped the old cover off, used it as a template and hot-glued the new material on (2 layers). I did not replace the padding either time but I should have. Didn't know where to buy the padding so I kept the old stuff. Don't have a pic of the seat itself, but here it is on my bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    for me it's the serfas terazzo

It may not look comfy, but it has the perfect shape.

Jan 2004

Kind of heavy, but...

rack admirer

Ever stick one on your a$$ in the LBS?

If it is not already on a bike, hold it against your a$$? Feels dumb, looks dumb, probably not effective, either. I'm doing ok with the laser V, but the rails are slightly bent so your post is timely. Tried the BG but it wasn't fo me. Its tough to shell out $75 more or less for something that is a shot in the dark. I think I'll try the terry next.
    MCM # 57

hands up who wants to die
    WTB Rocket
    WTB Laser