mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Have you ever sold a bike you owned to a pawn shop?

Just purchased two mountain bikes on eBay from a pawn shop, which I had to drive quite a good distance for since they were local pick up only. I got a spectacular deal on both bikes. While I do realize that pawn shops are supposed to run everything they purchase through the police, in the back of my mind, I'm a little bit concerned that they could be stolen, and I really don't like that feeling.

As I was pulling in to pick up one of the bikes, a couple also pulled in, and they had a bike in the back of their car. Not to judge anyone, but they kinda looked like they could potentially be meth-heads, and I noticed that their bike was a 58cm, but the guy was only like 5'11" tall max, meaning that he would probably ride a 56cm. So, my guess is that they were selling a stolen bike to the pawn shop, because no way that bike would have fit that guy!

I don't know for a fact that I'm now the proud owner of stolen property. I did run a serial number check on one of the bikes, and it came up with nothing. For all I know, the owners might have been desperate for money, or failed to pay on a loan they owed the pawn shop. But there is still that feeling in the back of my mind that doesn't know.

I do know that every bike I've sold - and I've owned a lot since 2009 - was totally legit, but I've also never sold to a pawn shop. I've only sold through Craigslist, eBay, or Facebook, and I try to get every penny I can out of the bikes or bike parts I've sold.

If I were to go to a pawn shop and sell the same bikes, they would probably only give me a quarter of my asking price, which wouldn't be worth it. Having said this, has anyone sold their bike to a pawn shop? This question only applies if you legitimately owned the bike. Its something I would never do, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has.

Also curious to know if you have ever purchased a bike from a pawn shop. Were you concerned that you might have purchased something stolen, or did you have the attitude that this is your rightful property that you paid for, legitimately?

Just want to know what some of your thoughts are on this matter, especially if you have purchased a bike from a pawn shop, or sold a bike to a pawn shop.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't even consider it for the reason you stated above as far a getting the least amount possible for the frame/bike. It is possible that someone legit sold it to them for quick cash, or to not deal with the hassle of selling online. It's always possible that it's stolen. Any bike you buy used could potentially be stolen. All that said I don't think most pawn shops would knowingly sell stolen stuff because of the risk.

the discerning hooligan
    No I have not sold a bike to a pawn shop.

I am 5í11Ē and ride a 58cm frame.

Ultra marathoners and meth addicts kind of have a similar look to them...the thin build, the distant obsessed look in their eyes...
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Cycologist
    The idea of a pawn shop, or at least it used to be, is that they gave you a loan and you gave them something of value as collateral. If you didn't repay the debt, they kept your item and resold it to get their money back plus some. I don't know if people still approach it that way, but it is possible someone pawned the bikes planning to get them back. Or, they needed money fast and didn't have time or desire to hassle with CL.

I haven't bought or sold from/to a pawn shop but I've bought plenty of bikes off CL and eBay. I think pawn shops are watcher closer than those two methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    I tracked down a pawn shop that sold 2 stolen bikes through a scam classified ad that had copied photos from the pawn shop's ebay listing.

https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...lp-938908.html

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    The idea of a pawn shop, or at least it used to be, is that they gave you a loan and you gave them something of value as collateral. If you didn't repay the debt, they kept your item and resold it to get their money back plus some. I don't know if people still approach it that way, but it is possible someone pawned the bikes planning to get them back. Or, they needed money fast and didn't have time or desire to hassle with CL.

I haven't bought or sold from/to a pawn shop but I've bought plenty of bikes off CL and eBay. I think pawn shops are watcher closer than those two methods.
    You have a choice of a loan on the property or to sell it to them. At least thatís how itís been since the early 2000ís when Iíve dealt with them. Never bought anything from them but have taken a loan out on property. Never a bike though, guns mainly and my X was constantly dealing with jewelry loans.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    There is a pawn shop next to a restaurant I visit, and they always have bikes, and a sign that promotes them.

I went in just to see, and the girl goes we have more in the back if you want to take a look, I said no thanks, but you sure have lots of bikes.

She goes, well its from one guy only. Who knows if he steals them or had a huge collection.

Anyways, they usually over price bikes at this place.

I'm curious what you found worthy at a pawn shop?
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

Snow Dog
    i always take unwanted bikes to the bike co op so that they can service them and then get them to people who need them. Granted, once they leave the co op they are in limbo, but I at least feel like there is some initial good doing it that way.

All of my musician friends always scour pawn shops for instruments, but I just don't trust the whole thing. i don't even like goin into then becasue I feel like i am getting scammed or cased the moment I walk in
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

since 4/10/2009
    So few stolen bikes actually get reported as stolen, complete with serial numbers, that pawn shops are lower risk for bike thieves than it might appear. Further, all a bike thief needs to do is change jurisdictions.

I'd say that there's a high risk that anything you buy at a pawn shop has been stolen. Especially if the item doesn't have a serial number.

It's a bad place to sell your crap because they offer you so little for it. And it's hardly a good place to buy used stuff because they often sell for so much.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Pawn shops give you so little, I'd think for any enthusiast level (maybe $1,000 or more in value) bike there's no way anyone would sell to them. Let's say the value is $1,000, a pawn shop is probably going to try to give you $300 max... If you listed it on Craigslist for $700 it'd likely be gone in a day or two... So why bother with a pawn shop? Sorry to say, but I believe the answer is often nefarious.

There are exceptions to every rule of course, but if buying stolen goods doesn't fit with your moral code then I think you'd better avoid pawn shops.

(I once sold a guitar amp to a pawn shop, only thing I ever have or probably will. I bought the amp stupid cheap to begin with and had stopped using it, so when I needed to pay a friend back for an unexpected expense it just made sense. They gave me about a quarter of its actual value, but still about on par with what I had paid.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Ultra marathoners and meth addicts kind of have a similar look to them...the thin build, the distant obsessed look in their eyes...
    That is hilarious. I have several freinds who run ultra's. I'm going to tell them they look like meth tweakers next time I see them.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Pawn shops really help facilitate theft, perpetuate property crime, etc. don't deal with them. Imo, unless you have a barcoded receipt or registered item, selling to a pawn shop should be a crime
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Pro Crastinator
    i only sell stolen stuff to a pawn shop...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    i always take unwanted bikes to the bike co op so that they can service them and then get them to people who need them. Granted, once they leave the co op they are in limbo, but I at least feel like there is some initial good doing it that way.

All of my musician friends always scour pawn shops for instruments, but I just don't trust the whole thing. i don't even like goin into then becasue I feel like i am getting scammed or cased the moment I walk in
    My musician friends used to shop the pawn stores until their prices started getting ridiculous. I traded a pistol for a bass amp at one once. It ended up being a POS amp and I regret doing the deal.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Local enforcement may vary, but the idea that pawn shops check for stolen goods is mostly laughable.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    That is hilarious. I have several freinds who run ultra's. I'm going to tell them they look like meth tweakers next time I see them.
    Is it untrue though? I know the fashion is different and all... I think the common ground there is that some people just have a hard time consuming enough calories
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Pawn shops really help facilitate theft, perpetuate property crime, etc. don't deal with them. Imo, unless you have a barcoded receipt or registered item, selling to a pawn shop should be a crime
    Bingo...what an easy out for criminals...ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    My musician friends used to shop the pawn stores until their prices started getting ridiculous. I traded a pistol for a bass amp at one once. It ended up being a POS amp and I regret doing the deal.
    yeah. I had a few who swore by pawn shops...and were always bitching about how bad the items were. I always, always said "you get what you pay for"...there is usually no magical "buried treasure" find that people think there is

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    i only sell stolen stuff to a pawn shop...
    I thought thatís what pawn shops were for.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Cycologist
    I bought a Music Man Stingray bass at a big high profile pawn shop, it was a really great price. It was a piece of crap, frets buzzed really bad. I started adjusting the truss rod and I didn't like how it was sounding. So I took it to a guitar tech that had a little shop nearby. He took a good look at it and said "that's not a Music Man". It had some of the MM electronics and of course, the 1/3 tuning keys headstock.

I had him write on his letterhead that it was counterfeit and I went back to the pawn shop. I showed the shop the note and they immediately took it back, no hassle. I imagine they figured they could just resell it.

mtbr member
    I honestly don't understand how pawn shops work. I think they are all drug fronts. I might be biased because my first interaction with one was finding my stolen stuff in one (got it back thanks to the police report, but it took a while). But people say they get crap prices for the stuff they pawn and the price of the crap they sell is always over what I could get at CL, eBay, or a garage sale. I figure they are just washing money for the cartels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

9 lives
    Have you ever sold a bike you owned to a pawn shop?-191k78d.jpg

Their motto "buy low, sell high"
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Cycologist
    There was a local pawn shop that apparently really f'ed up taking a bike in. I came across it on CL, where they continued to list it for years. It was a pretty high end aluminum road bike, one of the lesser known brands but a good bike. The ad claimed it was all Dura-Ace, lots of carbon parts including the seat post and shifted perfectly. The photos showed lower grade components, a shiny silver seat post, and that the previous owner had converted it to a tensioner rigged singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    First bike I bought was from a pawn shop. Kona Process 153. Awesome bike and best deal I've ever gotten on a bike (made money when I sold it). Pawn shop told me the guy that sold it to them was huge (almost 300lbs), and thought he could get into biking... didn't work out.

Rides all the bikes!
    Never dealt with pawn shops. But there are still a lot of people out there, believe or not, that doesn't use the internet! A lot don't trust online billing, don't want to ship, pawn is quick and easy cash.

A friend of mine is a house painter. After finishing a job the guy came up short on payment, in exchange he gave him his bike. By coincidence, it fits him, and he is also a cyclist. He fixed it and rides it now. That could easily have been sent to a pawn shop for quick cash by a house painter who knows nothing about bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    but the guy was only like 5'11" tall max, meaning that he would probably ride a 56cm.
    My first roadie was a 58, I am 5'8". I didn't know any better and a friend gave it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Hey, I run ultra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I bought a Music Man Stingray bass at a big high profile pawn shop, it was a really great price. It was a piece of crap, frets buzzed really bad. I started adjusting the truss rod and I didn't like how it was sounding. So I took it to a guitar tech that had a little shop nearby. He took a good look at it and said "that's not a Music Man". It had some of the MM electronics and of course, the 1/3 tuning keys headstock.

I had him write on his letterhead that it was counterfeit and I went back to the pawn shop. I showed the shop the note and they immediately took it back, no hassle. I imagine they figured they could just resell it.
    Some time ago, I traded a Deluxe Jazz for a Sterling. No matter how I EQ'd it, I could not get that Sterling to come out in the mix of the hard rock band that I was in at the time. The G string really disappeared. I ended up selling it and getting a G&L 5-string.

There, now I've sent this thread off on a tangent to likely never return to the original topic.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	191K78D.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	1230091

I feel sorry for that vintage Schwinn Stingray.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Some time ago, I traded a Deluxe Jazz for a Sterling. No matter how I EQ'd it, I could not get that Sterling to come out in the mix of the hard rock band that I was in at the time. The G string really disappeared. I ended up selling it and getting a G&L 5-string.

There, now I've sent this thread off on a tangent to likely never return to the original topic.
    mistake #1: getting rid of a J bass
    mistake #2: getting rid of a j bass for a Music Man anything....

back on topic now....

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Local enforcement may vary, but the idea that pawn shops check for stolen goods is mostly laughable.
    Quoted for accuracy. I know a little bit about this topic. The business model is simple: buy for nothing, sell for something. Since most of the stuff at a typical pawn shop is stolen (burglary, shoplifting or organized retail theft), sellers take the pennies on the dollar theyíre offered.

There are certainly exceptions to this rule. Not to be judgmental, but if you interact with average pawn shops in any way, youíre helping facilitate one of the main conduits of criminal income streams.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    The pawn shops in my area are a complete joke. I have no idea how they stay in business, except perhaps from people being generally dumb.

Almost all of the guitar gear has been beaten to shit, and not in a cool, distressed, heavily used way. But to make matters worse, a lot of it is priced higher than the identical new, in a sealed box stuff, readily available on the shelf of any local music gear shop.

I despise those places. They have what I would imagine would be the same vibe as a crack house.

That said, one place told me that they had over 650 additional guitars in their warehouse that werenít on their floor. If true, thatís a commanding inventory, although consistent with their general approach to pretty much everything, I suspect itís bullshit. Even if true, I am sure it just amounts to an even bigger shit load of overpriced junk.

After being at a a couple of these places on the hunt for music gear bargains, I will never step foot in one again. I agree with all the negative comments above. I wish they would amend the legislation governing these places, to eliminate them entirely.

Even if these places had nice merchandise at a reasonable value, I would never support them. Dregs of society, facilitating bad shit by other dregs of society.

I am shocked that they are allowed to even exist. And that they are given such a blind eye by otherwise extremely vigilant local enforcement agencies. Itís all very odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    The pawn shops in my area are a complete joke. I have no idea how they stay in business, except perhaps from people being generally dumb.

Almost all of the guitar gear has been beaten to shit, and not in a cool, distressed, heavily used way. But to make matters worse, a lot of it is priced higher than the identical new, in a sealed box stuff, readily available on the shelf of any local music gear shop.

I despise those places. They have what I would imagine would be the same vibe as a crack house.

That said, one place told me that they had over 650 additional guitars in their warehouse that werenít on their floor. If true, thatís a commanding inventory, although consistent with their general approach to pretty much everything, I suspect itís bullshit. Even if true, I am sure it just amounts to an even bigger shit load of overpriced junk.

After being at a a couple of these places on the hunt for music gear bargains, I will never step foot in one again. I agree with all the negative comments above. I wish they would amend the legislation governing these places, to eliminate them entirely.

Even if these places had nice merchandise at a reasonable value, I would never support them. Dregs of society, facilitating bad shit by other dregs of society.

I am shocked that they are allowed to even exist. And that they are given such a blind eye by otherwise extremely vigilant local enforcement agencies. Itís all very odd to me.
    I totally agree with you. Every time Iíve walked out of one I had that same pissed off disgust about them. Iíve gone in many times with my X with her jewelry and countless remarks to her as we walked out on how they havenít been regulated out of business. Itís legal crime in my eyes.

No known cure
    Wow. My post was deleted even though it was relevant, for mentioning evil scary inanimate objects. This site sure has gone downhill since I first started posting in 1997.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

the discerning hooligan
    Do pawn shops actually check if things are stolen? I thought they only had to document who they get the things from incase law enforcement wants to track things back. No way they are checking serial numbers on bikes against a police registry.

There's also a consequence for selling stolen goods. I'm pretty sure that when they get a real valuable item from a questionable source it probably isn't on display on the shelf for everyone in town to see. Probably a network to move stuff out of state or something, right?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	191K78D.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	1230091

Chumlee's motto must have been buy drugs at wholesale and sell drugs at retail.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.