Have you ever been that much of a dumb####?- Mtbr.com
    Trail Tire TV on blogger

Have you ever been that much of a dumb####?

OK, I'll never say I'm the BEST Mechanic, But moving things have always been sorta easy for me to figure out, from cars, to motorcycles to bicycle... I can usually figure out what's wrong pretty fast and I know 90% of the major causes of issues with bikes.

Well I got this creak lately in my bike...
    went and starting checking things out , shock, bottom bracket, cranks pedals, suspension joints.. bla bla bla.. been going on now for a few weeks couldn't find it. It wasn't bad, and only happened when I'd get in certain positions and really power up a hill or something... couldn't figure it out, till yesterday when I was cleaning the bike ...

Dumba$$ .. it's the #1 thing I tell other people when they have a creak to check

the seat post...

ever worked on a bike (or anything for that matter) and completely over look the most obvious?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Tool
    For sure. I once trailered a small load about 60 highway miles with the hitch not latched down. Good thing my father always taught me to load a trailer with positive tongue weight or this load would have been stabbing my trunk as it got dragged by the chains. You can imagine my surprise as I was unloading the last item and the trailer dumped me off the back as it came off the hitch. I have no idea how it got loaded without this happening.

I've done plenty of dumb stuff with bikes, but no tales worth telling (perhaps they've been relegated to repressed memories).

I'm pretty sure we've all been fooled by the source of a creak at one time or another. Humans are so efficient at making assumptions that we often don't realize when we're operating based solely on assumtion (this is where optical illusions come from; our brains are constantly taking shortcuts).

Have any of you ever looked for your cell phone while you were talking on it? I have. That is is special moment.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post

Have any of you ever looked for your cell phone while you were talking on it? I have. That is is special moment.

-Pete
    no,.. but I have looked for it when it was cliped to my belt...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Isn't it always the last thing you check ?
    Dumba$$ could be the defining word for the human condition.

REALLY?
    Yep, I have a 26.4 (was the only brand I could find this size) Origin8 seatpost (I call Thomson copy) as of it has a similar clamp design, anyway, the clamp mechanism creaks after a while if you dont keep it lubed.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

On wuss patrol
    I wouldn't know. I just turn up my ipod.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Suburban Redneck
    You mean like freaking about forgetting your hydration pack while wearing it?

Nope. Never.
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    OK this is embarrassing. About a month ago, I bought a set of used wheels for my A9C on ebay. I installed the spacers and cog (singlespeed), threw the wheels on and heard this god-awful crunching noise that sounded like a bad bearing x10. I spent the next 2 days swapping cogs, chains, removing and re-installing the wheel. I even emailed the previous owner to see if he had any ideas. Then it occurred to me to install my old wheel to see what happened and sure enough, it made the same noise. Long story short, you need to tighten the lockring down tight if you want your drivetrain to work properly! Take it easy on me, I'm a slow learner.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    My motorcycle was running real bad, sputtering, stuttering, wouldn't pick up speed. I stripped and cleaned the carburetors to remove any gunk in there, but still ran like hell. New fuel lines and filter, didn't do the trick either. Switched to the reserve tank and the bike ran sweet as a dream again, THEN had a look inside the gapingly empty fuel tank...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had a creak once I chased for several rides. Trying all the usual stuff, including the seat post. I finally got around to washing the bike. Creak went away. Spent a lot of time F-ing with stuff, could've washed the bike 20 times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ever worked on a bike (or anything for that matter) and completely over look the most obvious?
    The dumbest thing I have ever done to any bike ever (mercifully my own and not a customer's).

I installed a set of cranks and got the chain line wrong, very wrong, so wrong that the chainring was touching the chain stay (on an early Inbred, fateful naming?).
    I then proceeded to ride the bike for a good forty miles, thinking I had a duff tyre and shot hub bearings or a stuck brake or something. Eventually the 'stickines' disappeared and the bike pedaled normally, because I'd ground through the chain stay with the chain ring.

Oops.

Luckily On One are nice chaps and gave me a cheap frame on crash replacement, some day I might live it down...

mtbr member
    An infuriating, intermittent, one per revolution creak that turned out to be my shoe rubbing against the crank arm.

Ride More, Work Less
    We were on a family bike trip to the gas station about 3 miles away for snacks. When we started to head back, one of my boys said his bike wasn't turning or braking correctly. I looked at the alignment, checked the breaks, adjusted the barrel adjuster and said it was fine. A moment later, he starts to pull away and I notice a slight wobble to his front wheel. His quick release was loose and the nut had loosened to the point the wheel was about to fall off. I'm not sure how I missed it, but had I lifted the wheel to spin it, I would have found this issue.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Another time I had been tinkering with my old car, replaced the worn out shocks and coil springs with new ones. Everything worked well, the car drove much better.

A week or so later I was on this nice, bendy piece of road so I put the loud pedal down and raced through a couple of bends when I suddenly hear this clankityclank sound of metal falling off. I pulled over and walked back a couple of hundred yards, carefully checking the side of the road for whatever had fallen off but didn't find anything. I checked the car for missing side trim or whatever, but everything looked in order, so I shrug it off and decided that I had just hit a piece of metal already on the road..

I took another couple of corners a bit slower, carefully listening for rattling sounds, but everything was fine so I put the pedal down again, blasted through another corner and clankityclank it said.

Pulled over again and crawled under the car to see if anything was amiss, but my new suspension looked fine, the exhaust was where it should be and all that. I decided to get the torch and the jack in the trunk to get a better look........

.....and found the old springs I hadn't gotten rid of yet and sure enough they made a clankityclank noise when sliding from side to side, doh!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink View Post
    An infuriating, intermittent, one per revolution creak that turned out to be my shoe rubbing against the crank arm.
    Leaving the front DR cable too long and hearing the cable rub the crank exactly once per rev.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nuffink View Post
    Carbon frames are pretty good at transmitting/amplifying unexpected sounds. I had a strange ticking noise going that turned out to be a shoelace hitting the crank arm...

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Carbon frames are pretty good at transmitting/amplifying unexpected sounds. I had a strange ticking noise going that turned out to be a shoelace hitting the crank arm...
    ya, learned a trick with that, can of expanding spray foam shoot a little in the seat tube and down tube from the BB, little in the top tube and down tube from the head tube and a little in the top tube from the Seat tube.... none obviously straight down the seat tube as the seat post needs to go there.

all ya need is a enough to plug the tube, you don't need to fill it. Stops almost all sound transfers through the frame. Works like a charm for that one rattle-squeek-creak you just can't find.

also keeps dirt from getting down to the BB through the seat tube when you move or pull the seat post.
    Last edited by thomllama; 04-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Creaks and clicks are the worst. I will be 100 percent confident I know where the sound is coming from only to be proven wrong once I start poking around. Spent an embarrassing amount of time once trying to fix a sound that turned out to be cables vibrating against the head tube. Seriously?! I even thought about that at first, but the sound was so odd, I couldn't see how that could be the cuplit. But it was and I felt pretty stupid....

Tool
    I seem to have the opposite problem, wahday. Every time I encounter a new audible annoyance it sounds just like a cable slapping the frame. Inevitably, I'm disappointed when I grasp all my cables and the noise persists.

Good tip regarding the expanding foam, thomllama. If anyone wants to do something similar but less permanent, you can use fiberglass insulation (you can also use polyester batting, which is a lot friendlier to your skin and lungs, but only about half as effective, so you need to use more for the same effect).
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I had a ticking sound coming from the dashboard of my truck. It drove me crazy for months. I noticed it only happened at highway speed. Kinda hard to troubleshoot at that speed and keep your eyes on the road. One day I heard it and I had my GF aboard. I asked her to listen and try to figure out where it was coming from. Thirty seconds later she turns and says "you mean the noice from your windshield wiper"? Me Huh? Turns out a small rubber strip as thick as a toothpick and 2" long was flapping against the windshield at speed.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Ride Instigator
    I had a rattle in my car that was driving me crazy for a while....until I found the box of Tic-Tacs in the overhead sunglasses compartment!

Members who have read this thread: 0