be1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

has online retailer sales tax collection changed your habits?

i was shopping for a bike online and at checkout saw that they were charging tax. sales tax in my area is about 9.25%. so it made the purchase not such a good deal and i cancelled the order. i think this is recent thing for my state, but tbh i havent bought much onlime lately. this stems from a june 2018 supreme court decision that states that states can force online retailers to collect sales tax even if there is no presence in that state. i also read that this started on october 1st for my state.

wondering if anybody has changed shopping habits due to this. should be a boon to lbs.

please - no political, ethical, etc discussions. it is what it is. do you shop differently now?

There's always next year.
    In before this goes sideways: No, it really hasn't changed how I order, mainly because the LBS closest to me won't have what I want in stock, so it will be ordered anyway, and then I'll have to go back there and pick it up, compared to ordering online and having it shipped to my work in the same amount of time or less. For a guy with a busy job and a family, that can ad up to more time in the saddle. I will look for online stores that either: aren't local to my state, so no sales tax, or have active junky connections which cancels out the tax frequently.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    No. When I buy online its for selection, not price.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    No. When I buy online its for selection, not price.
    yeah, this is pretty much me, too.

Occasionally there's a price component to it, but not most of the time.

Amazon has collected tax for years, and so do a number of other online retailers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    i was shopping for a bike online and at checkout saw that they were charging tax. sales tax in my area is about 9.25%. so it made the purchase not such a good deal and i cancelled the order. i think this is recent thing for my state, but tbh i havent bought much onlime lately. this stems from a june 2018 supreme court decision that states that states can force online retailers to collect sales tax even if there is no presence in that state. i also read that this started on october 1st for my state.

wondering if anybody has changed shopping habits due to this. should be a boon to lbs.

please - no political, ethical, etc discussions. it is what it is. do you shop differently now?
    Yes, it would make a difference for me. Wonder how it's enforced and maybe a lot of online retailers ignore it. I haven't seen it yet on orders I've made from CA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm in WI (5.5% tax) and so far the US online stores don't seem to collect tax.
    Maybe just not the ones i use, though. I order from amazon (has been collecting for years) and from europe (is not affected).

Either way, it wouldn't matter since the price gap is so much larger than just tax. And LBS have nothing decent in stock anyway. i tried to buy locally trice. 2 times it took the LBS ages to actually place an order, the other they didn't have the item in my size. So gave up on them.

I think LBS will use this opportunity to raise prices even more.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Yes, absolutely. I stopped ordering from Price Point when they started to charge me CA tax. Now they are out of business. Coincidence? You decide....

But in all seriousness, not really. I'm always on the lookout for a good price and tax won't break the deal.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I am in Wisconsin too. Regardless of whether an e-tailer collects sales tax, one is still responsible to pay it. There is a spot on the WI tax form to report all e-purchases where tax was not collected so that you can pay. Granted, it is pretty much the honor system till data mining catches up.

jcd's best friend
    Yes.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    has online retailer sales tax collection changed your habits?
    No. I live & ride in Oregon. What's sales tax?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    I am in Wisconsin too. Regardless of whether an e-tailer collects sales tax, one is still responsible to pay it. There is a spot on the WI tax form to report all e-purchases where tax was not collected so that you can pay. Granted, it is pretty much the honor system till data mining catches up.
    out of state paper catalog sales have existed for hundreds of years. ecommerce has existed for almost 30 years..... I think they had enough time to figure out how to collect tax. they collect income tax, gas tax etc. right at the point of purchase... not my responsibility to do their job.
    With the same reasoning I should self-report any speeding, rolling stop or other traffic infractions and write myself tickets and pay them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    out of state paper catalog sales have existed for hundreds of years. ecommerce has existed for almost 30 years..... I think they had enough time to figure out how to collect tax. they collect income tax, gas tax etc. right at the point of purchase... not my responsibility to do their job.
    With the same reasoning I should self-report any speeding, rolling stop or other traffic infractions and write myself tickets and pay them.
    The interstate commerce nature of internet sales and getting States to agree is what has taken time. 30 years? In 2000 less than 1/2 of one percent of sales were e-commerce. We are about 8% now. For a long time the volume of e-sales was not worth figuring out the tax issues. It now reached a critical mass where 1.) brick and mortar retailers have screamed about the competitive advantage from a tax free transaction and 2.) the government(s) are seeing the missed opportunity.

People are supposed to report any number of transactions on their taxes that may not have been collected elsewhere, thus the reason we have to file taxes. Do I track all my internet purchases where tax is not collected? No, but I make a good faith estimate.

With our change of governor, sales tax will be the least of our worries.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    What's sales tax?
    It's the reason you see so many WA plates in the Portland-area outlet mall parking lots.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    It's the reason you see so many WA plates in the Portland-area outlet mall parking lots.
    Total truth!
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982 View Post
    ...I will look for online stores that either: aren't local to my state, so no sales tax, or have active junky connections which cancels out the tax frequently.
    This SCOTUS decision affects retailers who sell to buyers in states where the seller has no brick-and-mortar (local) presence. Sellers are now required to collect that state's sales tax regardless. The burden has fallen on small online merchants to keep track of sales tax regs for multiple municipalities in all fifty states - onerous to say the least.
    I buy a bike about every 10 years...I guess I'm overdue...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    No change for me. Shipping would be more likely to tweak my online shopping.

I think of how Amazon has evolved. I get 2 day shipping, video content, excellent return policy and customer service, for $8 per month.

Amazon has made it so I don't want to return to a brick retail. Would take more than sales tax to change for me. Don't have to drive in turd traffic, avoid turd parking lot design that causes delays, avoid attitude and ineptitude at so many LBS these days.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My favorite stores are mostly in CA, so I've paid sales tax on the majority of stuff I've bought anyway.

Honestly, I haven't really even noticed a difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    The interstate commerce nature of internet sales and getting States to agree is what has taken time. 30 years? In 2000 less than 1/2 of one percent of sales were e-commerce. We are about 8% now. For a long time the volume of e-sales was not worth figuring out the tax issues. It now reached a critical mass where 1.) brick and mortar retailers have screamed about the competitive advantage from a tax free transaction and 2.) the government(s) are seeing the missed opportunity.

People are supposed to report any number of transactions on their taxes that may not have been collected elsewhere, thus the reason we have to file taxes. Do I track all my internet purchases where tax is not collected? No, but I make a good faith estimate.

With our change of governor, sales tax will be the least of our worries.
    I see what you are saying. I wouldn't mind paying tax if it was equally applied. for example, I don't take tax into account when deciding between amazon (collects tax) and other retailers. but it should be a tax system where everyone pays, not only the people who are stupid enough to be honest. honor systems work for volunteer organizations etc., but not for tax. They want the money, they have to collect it :-) Same way they get my road, property and income tax.

Another thing are foreign purchases, which are a lot. Those I think are not affected by this court tax decision.