hardtail or full suspension?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

hardtail or full suspension?

I am a beginner that rides on paved paths for the time being. I am looking for a new bike & every shop i go to says I should go with a hardtail since im a newbie. However I want a bike I can ride for a loooong rime. I like the comfortable ride of the full susp. that I have tried versus the hardtails.... but I understand that the full susp will not be as fast on the road sunce some of my energy is absorbed by the susp.

Is a full susp OK for me? what's the diff?

May 2004
    Hmmm... If you're mostly going to ride paved paths then I'd say there isn't going to be that much of a comfort difference between full susp and hardtail. Plop a nice, cushy saddle on that hardtail and it'd be pretty much similar. Even better you could buy a hardtail and get a thudbuster seatpost, which would all but eliminate any bumps you'd likely feel. I would only go full suspension if you plan to make trail riding a big part of your routine. But in the end, what it really comes down to is, Which bike will make you want to ride all the time?

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I would go with the hardtail. You can do what he said and get a cushy saddle, and if you want more mush, then get a suspension seatpost. Overall its cheeper, less maintinence, less $, and lighter.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

get whatever bike you like

the more you bike the better --- so pick the bike you like, whether it's the hardtail or full suspension or because you like the black one vs the red, or it's on sale, or whatever....

that said, if you mostly ride paved roads, as you get in better shape and go faster, you'll realize the full suspension is a waste in terms of weight and unused suspension. it's great for bumpy trails, in climbing and descending, but for smooth roads, the hardtail will be more efficient. i have both, and ride the hardtail more.

but if you end lving riding, you'll probably buy another bike in a year or 2 and then you can pick up the hardtail or full suspension, whichever one you don't have =)

john

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jksu2000
    the more you bike the better --- so pick the bike you like, whether it's the hardtail or full suspension or because you like the black one vs the red, or it's on sale, or whatever....

that said, if you mostly ride paved roads, as you get in better shape and go faster, you'll realize the full suspension is a waste in terms of weight and unused suspension. it's great for bumpy trails, in climbing and descending, but for smooth roads, the hardtail will be more efficient. i have both, and ride the hardtail more.

but if you end lving riding, you'll probably buy another bike in a year or 2 and then you can pick up the hardtail or full suspension, whichever one you don't have =)

john
    I say buy a HT 1st then FS.
    HT is good to cut your teeth in MTB and then progress to FS top the icing on the cake
    You'll appreciate the FS once you've ridden a HT

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium
    I am a beginner that rides on paved paths for the time being. I am looking for a new bike & every shop i go to says I should go with a hardtail since im a newbie. However I want a bike I can ride for a loooong rime. I like the comfortable ride of the full susp. that I have tried versus the hardtails.... but I understand that the full susp will not be as fast on the road sunce some of my energy is absorbed by the susp.

Is a full susp OK for me? what's the diff?
    You didn't say how much you want to spend?
    If your budget is <$1000 get a hardtail and put a suspension seatpost, $1500 will get you a full suspension with a lockout or stable platform rear shock so you can pedal efficiently on paved roads.
    _____
    older guy

suck it trebeK
    If you want to buy one bike and just forget it (the impression I get) then by all means get an FS if you have the money. Otherwise for the same or less money you can get a better quality hardtail that will work just fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    I say buy a HT 1st then FS.
    HT is good to cut your teeth in MTB and then progress to FS top the icing on the cake
    You'll appreciate the FS once you've ridden a HT

cheers
    I second this opinion. I have been ridding a FS bike since 1998. I just rode my first HT since that time and let me tell you, once you go FS, you can never go back.

But, like others have said, for what you are ridding, you don't need a FS bike.