Grips ? ? ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Grips ? ? ?

mtbr member

Grips ? ? ?

what grips do you use and why?
    best grips?
    worst grips?
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by charliethetuna
    what grips do you use and why?
    best grips? ESI - comfy, grippy, light
    worst grips? anything that's ergonomically shaped because you have to hold it at a certain position to be comfy
    best grips? - ESI - comfy, grippy even when wet as long as you're wearing gloves, light
    worst grips? - anything that's ergonomically shaped because you have to hold it at a certain position to be comfy

ummmm.. what!?
    Jan 2011
    Eastern fuquay flyer grips. Its actually a BMX grip and well, they were on there when I bought it. Love 'em actually. When they go... thinkin im gonna go in the direction of the ESI chunky. Great reviews and 90 grams lighter (not that it much matters)
    Its a JEEP thing. I have 4 and still don't understand..

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I use the stock "PowerTools" that came on my bike. I use them because they came stock, and they've always worked fine for me.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

banned
    Previous bike had Oury grips and they were comfortable. But, they kept slipping and I couldn't get them to stay put.

Grips on rebuild are Titec Pork Rinds. Inexpensive foam grips. They seem comfortable (still new) and they stay put better.

When these get trashed, I might try the Oury lock-on grips. I'll just keep my eye out for a deal and put them in my parts box waiting for the next upgrade.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    ergons. at least for an xc bike. just about won't ride any significant distance without them.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    +1 on Oury grips. I have big hands and Oury grips are big and soft.

Quote Originally Posted by marpilli
    Previous bike had Oury grips and they were comfortable. But, they kept slipping and I couldn't get them to stay put.
    Have you tried hair spray?

Mountain Man Dan
    ODI Rogue's. Lock on.

I want to try some OURY though.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

Village Dirtbag
    Ourys. I had lock-ons for years, but then went to normal. Work just as well for 1/3 the weight. Just clean the bar and grip with alcohol on install.

Now though I'm trying Titec Pluto foam grips. They're super cheap, damp vibration very well, and weigh a mere 16 grams. Very nice. I wish they were a little wider though. Will try chunkys next.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge
    Have you tried hair spray?
    I tried hair spray, building up the bar with electrical tape, and even golf club grip tape. Finally took them off and put them on one of my kids scooters. He thinks he's hot sh*t now.

Even my Titec Pork Rinds slip on the ends. I just cranked each one down with a zip tie and it's staying put for now. My next pair of grips will be lock-ons. I'm not messing around with this stuff in the future.

TiRider
    ESI chunkys get my vote, as posted in another thread I now have five sets, one of which has seen me through five seasons with not slipping or wear. They are a fine product that lives up to the billing.
    Cynicism is a perquisite to satire. Satire without cynicism is like a metaphor without...whatever.

Visit US Cycling Report

mtbr member
    always liked ruffians. just tried odi troy lee grips. nicer feel than the ruffians to me. favorite grip so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I should mention that I use 3M adhesive spray from Home Depot or wherever on my Ourys (and all grips). They stay put fo' sho' with that stuff.

Last edited by XJaredX; 04-25-2011 at 03:14 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    I should mention that I use 3M adhesive spray from Home Depot or wherever on my Ourys (and all grips). They stay put fo' sho' with that stuff
    I did try some of the 3M spray adhesive. It was different color can, though. Don't remember the model.

Anyway, it tacked-up almost immediately and I couldn't get the grip more than 1/3 way onto the bar. Just irritated me so I cleaned it off with goof off and returned the can. Maybe I was using the wrong 3M adhesive.

When you spray this stuff on, does it remain slippery for a bit? Or, does it tack-up quickly?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You might have used the 45 which is not as strong I think? Anyhow, I sprayed and then immediately squeezed it on, it acts as a lube for like a few seconds. But it is not a long window of time. Long enough that I don't have any problems though.

Oh, I should note that I sprayed inside the grip (just a quick blast), not the actual bar- maybe you sprayed the bar? Exposure to open air and the stuff dries like instantly.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    Oh, I should note that I sprayed inside the grip (just a quick blast), not the actual bar- maybe you sprayed the bar? Exposure to open air and the stuff dries like instantly.
    Yep, I sprayed the bar. That's what I must have done wrong. That stuff set up *fast*. Still, my next set of grips will be lock-ons. I don't care about the added grams and I'd rather just tighten it down instead of dicking around with adhesives...

mtbr member
    OURY lock-ons feel amazing and i cant imagine going to anything different now. Theyre larger sized, firm base(inner) rubber sleeve with the soft thick outer squares.
    Worst grips in my opinion are those thin grey slip on grips that come on too many Treks... or really any skinny/thin slip on grip...

nocturnal oblivion
    Oury's are too spongy for me, though I don't have big hands. I also had a lot of trouble getting them to cement, tried the 3M photo mount, hairspray, even tried spray paint. ODI Ruffians are my flavor.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Master of Disaster
    I've got 680mm bars and got rid of my Ergon GC2's because I wanted the extra real estate the mini-barends took up. Also, the worry about hooking the bar-ends on small trees was creeping me out, made me paranoid. Kinda heavy too. Then I tried Ergon's GX1 Leichtbau racing grips but those are too skinny for me and the wings aren't supportive enough. Finally, I think I'll be happy now with the plain-vanilla GP1 SE Large grips (a cheaper and lighter Special Edition version with a black nylon clamp instead of silver aluminum). Performance has them on sale for $25.

http://www.ergon-bike.com
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

bike rider
    Titec Pork Rinds
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ruffians if you like a thin grip or ourys if you like thick

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ODI Ruffian=best
    ergon=worst
    (IMHO)
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ESI's don't need any adhesive to stay in place. Just a shot of air from a compressor and they "float" on...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Titec Pork Rinds
    +1, very comfy grips/light

banned
    Yeti Lock-Ons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Gotta go with the ourys too. I use clear urethane to keep them from slipping. Spray in the grip, install, and leave overnight. Works great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm using Answer grips. They're grippy and they stay put on my bars.

wannabee
    For me
    Best is lizard skins NorthShore
    Worst is anything squishy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have used the ODI Ruffians for many years. I love em.

I did buy some oury grips last week to try out on one of my other bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0