Great LBS Repairs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Great LBS Repairs

I know there are a lot of bad bike shops out there but today was a great experience.

Ran my Mamba up to Council Bluffs to get the brakes looked at/fixed figuring I'd have to leave it for a week or two. Which was fine, we'd already talked about it the day before as he was backed up. To my surprise he not only took a look at the brakes today, he fixed them and the other guy cut 1.5 inches off both ends of my Mukluk.

I dropped the Mamba off and he asked if I had errands to run while he worked on it as it would be some time before he got to it today. Today? He said he knew it was a long trip up and would take care of it today if it was a simple fix. I said I brought my Mukluk and planned to ride out on a local trail. After a 20 mile trip with my Mukluk I came back to get my Mamba and one of the guys asked how I liked my Mukluk. After a 20 mile trip the bars desperately needed to be shortened. Guy said he'd cut my bars down and asked if I still had some more errands to run so he could get to me.

I checked out another store that was around the corner as they had Jamis bikes and wanted to check out their 26ers. Guys there were awesome, knew their stuff and were happy to talk about the Durango line. Took one out for a test ride and liked it, but the components and fork sucked. Obviously for the lower prices, you won't get much anyway but I liked the frame and the ride. I'd probably destroy the bike in a few rides given the stock components.

It's too bad because the guys were fussing over the fit (never had this much attention before on the fit of a bike) and going over the different levels of the bike and the specs. We talked about a bike with 650 tires but he didn't have one in stock to show me.

There is a huge difference between a guy that loves his job and one that just gets paid to do his job.

I came back to the shop, picked up my Mukluk paid for everything and drove home.

I honestly hadn't expected to have such a great day with the Mukluk or to even have two bikes done in the same day. If I can do a 20 mile trip on a fat bike, anyone can.

Is there a way to thank guys that took that extra time out of their backed up schedule so I wouldn't have to do another 160 mile round trip?

Any great LBS is worth the 160 mile round trip and if you can get customers from that far away, you have a great business.

Good, green, Oregon.
    You really should send them a letter (not an email) and formally thank them for their great customer service. So many businesses only hear when people *****, but it is rare that compliments are given. When they are, they are very much appreciated. It is good to address the letter to the store manager or owner, but mention the employees that helped you. This goes a long way with the business for sure. Who knows, sometimes this can be reciprocal where they appreciate it so much that your next purchase may have a little discount factored in....I have had it happen. That isn't something you want to bank on, as that wasn't the intention of writing the letter. But if they appreciate it, and want you coming back again and again, it is a small price to pay.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

Axles of Evil

Agreed

Write them a letter. Mention, if you can, the names of the helpful people. Drop off a case of good beer. Tell others about your experience.

Seriously, this gesture holds a lot more weight than most people care to know.

As a guy who put in 16 years in the business, we really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Awesome! Its pretty rare to hear about the good experiences. Thanks for sharing and keep riding on!

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Dad View Post
    Write them a letter. Mention, if you can, the names of the helpful people. Drop off a case of good beer. Tell others about your experience.
    this is my MO. Nothing shows the love like a good IPA.

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    Awesome! Its pretty rare to hear about the good experiences. Thanks for sharing and keep riding on!
    Yeah, now a days
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Sweep the leg!
    Finally! I'm glad to hear there's a shop you can rely on even if it's a haul to get there. 2+ on the post card or letter thanking them for the fast turn around.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Afric Pepperbird
    There's a reason why I occasionally take a twelve-pack of beer to the local wrenches at THE BEST bike shop here in Bend, Or.

(and no, it's not to get a discount, but it sometimes helps for that, too)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Is there a way to thank guys that took that extra time out of their backed up schedule so I wouldn't have to do another 160 mile round trip?
    beer.

I am a bike shop mechanic and we try to treat everyone equally, but the occasional six pack of Sweetwater 420 or Fat Tire Ale goes a long way. Food in general helps too.

I know I really like hearing from my manager that a customer called/wrote to thank me for my attention. beer is nice but getting a personal written thanks makes me feel like a million bucks all week.

Members who have read this thread: 0