Got a huge problem on my hands - frame fatally cracked! Help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Bonking ... not feelin' well Got a huge problem on my hands - frame fatally cracked! Help!

OK, this is my first post and oh boy do i have a problem. So i have this bike - 2016 Kross Level B4 (29er). This is a Polish brand so only know in Europe, but that doesn't matter. I had it for about a year and a half and in that time i changed about everything on it. The fork went from a Suntour XCM to a Rockshox Recon RL, the wheels are now custom built CRC ones with 27mm inner diameter rims, a 780mm Race Face handlebar so on and so forth. Basically everything is an upgrade. Anyway this is very bad as today...the frame just cracked. Was riding like normal, not doing any jumps, no wheelies, manuals, stoppies etc. just cruising and suddenly felt the rear wheel kinda wiggle from side to side. I checked it, thought the QR might be loose. Long story short i noticed the frame had cracked, no, broken off. The right side chainstay tube just seperated from where it was welded at the bottom bracket. Just literally broken off. Now i don't know what to do as i have all these parts kinda ordered specifically to this frame...What can i do!? Do i just sell the parts and buy a Canyon? Can i find a similar frame for cheap? I'm really bummed out and need help ASAP. The cracked Level B4 frame is aluminium, has regular 135mmQR dropouts, a BSA 73mm BB, and a 1 1/8" straight HT. It's an XL so 23", the HT is 140mm. Anyway...i'm out of options...any one got any advice?

mtbr member
    does the manufacturer have a warranty policy?

edit- yup, took me ten seconds to find this: Warranty 5 years | Kross - Rower górski, rowery trekkingowe, rowery miejskie

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    2 year warranty, but as i was reading through it, it said that modifications void the warranty. Not specified though if frame modification voids the warranty or just changing out parts..

mtbr member
    you didn't modify the frame, you changed components. modifying the bike would be if you drilled holes in the downtube or something bizarre like that. every bike company that I know of would honor the the warranty in a case like yours. unless Kross is run by total dingbats, they should honor it for you, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Ah...well now i feel kinda relieved. Anyway thanks for the help! Really wish this wouldn't happen..interesting place for a crack to develop..

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by zdus13 View Post
    OK, this is my first post and oh boy do i have a problem. So i have this bike - 2016 Kross Level B4 (29er). This is a Polish brand so only know in Europe, but that doesn't matter. I had it for about a year and a half and in that time i changed about everything on it. The fork went from a Suntour XCM to a Rockshox Recon RL, the wheels are now custom built CRC ones with 27mm inner diameter rims, a 780mm Race Face handlebar so on and so forth. Basically everything is an upgrade. Anyway this is very bad as today...the frame just cracked. Was riding like normal, not doing any jumps, no wheelies, manuals, stoppies etc. just cruising and suddenly felt the rear wheel kinda wiggle from side to side. I checked it, thought the QR might be loose. Long story short i noticed the frame had cracked, no, broken off. The right side chainstay tube just seperated from where it was welded at the bottom bracket. Just literally broken off. Now i don't know what to do as i have all these parts kinda ordered specifically to this frame...What can i do!? Do i just sell the parts and buy a Canyon? Can i find a similar frame for cheap? I'm really bummed out and need help ASAP. The cracked Level B4 frame is aluminium, has regular 135mmQR dropouts, a BSA 73mm BB, and a 1 1/8" straight HT. It's an XL so 23", the HT is 140mm. Anyway...i'm out of options...any one got any advice?
    Oh the just ridding along excuse!

Heard that one before.

But srs I've cracked 3 frames I think. I usually just email the co a pic and I get a new one in a week or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Seriously?! Is it that easy? Let's hope they can send it to Lithuania. You guys really got me hopeful.

Sneaker man
    you really want to get in contact with the company, in theory they should honor the warranty (they may not for some reason) but asking us won't do anything, you need to ask them.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    why are there so many threads like this? "I broke company X part. will they honor their warranty?" we don't know, only the manufacturer will tell you that!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    why are there so many threads like this? "I broke company X part. will they honor their warranty?" we don't know, only the manufacturer will tell you that!
    Sorry, this is just the first time it had ever happened to me, so panicked and took to the forums!